Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1994 Trooper

ravenecwravenecw Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Isuzu
I have 2 problems:

number 1, my sunroof does not work anymore, the switch had been tested with an o-meter and seems to be ok (or at least i think that's how it was tested and was told it was ok), my questions on this are the following: Could it be a fuse? The power windows still work but I thought maybe the fuse is just not good enough to work both or maybe there was another fuse to try? Secondly on this subject, where is the motor for the sunroof and how do I get to it?
My other problem is the air conditioning does not work, I got the air recharged (with freon and that) but that doesn't seem to fix the problem so it must be the condenser or the compressor i'm guesssing? which of the two usually go- hoping someone can help me with one or both of my problems, thanks

Comments

• Options
    atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    Hi, I have a 94 also, and I checked the electrical schematic, and it looks like the same fuse powers the sunroof,and to quote the manual: When the starter switch is in ON or START, the power window relay is energized and applies battery voltage to the sunroof control unit. When the sunroof switch is held in the OPEN position, the open relay energizes, supplying battery voltage to the sunroof motor and the sunroof opens to the limit stop position. At the moment the sunroof reaches the limit stop position, the limit switch closes and applies ground to the sunroof control unit. The sunroof control unit stops the sunroof in the limit stop position. After the sunroof switch is released and held in the OPEN position, the sunroof motor opens the sunroof until it reaches its mechanical limit. When the sunroof switch is held in the CLOSE position, the close relay energizes, supplying battery voltage to the sunroof motor and the sunroof opens to the safety stop position. At the moment the sunroof reaches the safety stop position, the safety stop switch closes and applies ground to the sunroof control unit. The sunroof control unit stops the sunroof in the safety stop position. After the sunroof switch is released and held in the CLOSE position, the sunroof motor closes the sunroof until it reaches its mechanical limit. Here is a pic of sunroof stuff: http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/.59a5d906!v=
    and this is wiring: http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/.59a5d907!v=

It seems likely that you should know if the limit switches are working right before assuming that the motor is bad. THe sunroof is installed as an assembly before the headliner is installed, so you would have to remove the headliner to gain access to the various mechanisms. The sunroof motor is part of this assembly.

On your AC question, was your ac system work done by a professional, who evacuated and then recharged the system? The reason I ask is that your system should have been leak checked at that time, and any leaks fixed before adding refrigerant. If the system is not leaking, then you should see the compressor turn on when you turn on the ac. If it does not, then there it could be several things wrong ...ie; low pressure, electrical, and several other things. If the compressor is engaging, then you really need guages to tell you how the system is working. Good luck.
  • Options
    jtfxkellyjtfxkelly Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Trooper and the power windows aren't working. There is no power seat or sunroof the fuse panel in the car shows a 30 a fuse like a circuit breaker I replaced this and none of the windows work is there a fuse under the hood that also works the windows
  • Options
    scwells309scwells309 Member Posts: 1
    i have an oil leak which seems to be coming from top of bell housing does anyone have any ideas or have come across this problem
    also my heated seats quit working a while ago any ideas on what to check
    thank you
  • Options
    72fj72fj Member Posts: 1
    I'm stuck trying to fix my 17 yr. old Sister inlaws 94 trooper. She was driving, so I have limited info on what happened. She told me the guages started smoking and the engine died. There was more, but that was about all the usefull stuff.
    I have found the speedo burnt inside, there were multiple fuses blown. Ign. Fuel pump. Front and rear wipers. (don't know if they were on at the time)
    The battery is only a few months old and holds a12 volt charge. When I hook it up, there is only 6.5 to 7 volts anywhere I can get power. I replaced the ign. switch but still there is power to and from switch but there is no power to the engine or starter. Oh I did replace the fuses. and checked the big main fuses in the engine bay. There aren't any burnt wires visible in the dash or the engine compartment.
    We did a clutch on this thing last week if that tells anyone any thing.
    I'm sure I can figure it out sooner or later but I'm outside and expecting snow. Thanks.
  • Options
    ravenecwravenecw Member Posts: 6
    never did get this fixed
  • Options
    teamotisteamotis Member Posts: 1
    can I tow this trooper with a tow bar with it not having a neutral on the tranfer case
This discussion has been closed.