Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Endeavor: MPG-Real World Numbers

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please report on your Endeavor's gas mileage here.

Include your odometer reading, city/highway mix, driving style or anything else you think may help others compare their mpg with yours. Thanks!

Steve, Host

Comments

• servantservant Member Posts: 6
    Odometer:14000
    AWD model
    metro/city: 17.5 mpg
    highway: 19 mpg has been best; avg closer to 18
  • lifeuncommonlifeuncommon Member Posts: 3
    Odometer: 37,850

mpg city: 17.5 (i live and work in the atlanta area, stop and go constantly)

highway: 21

I get a little better gas mileage when using premium fuel.
  • hellcat51hellcat51 Member Posts: 30
    2004 Endeavor purchased new 1/2005

Odometer - 11,835

Recent trip consisted of 3 legs:

Leg 1: Saratoga, NY to Conway, NH
    266 miles / 22.74 mpg
    (Includes a lot of back roads driving.)

Leg 2: Conway, NH to Ogunquit, ME
    121 miles / 20.72 mpg
    (Includes 45 minutes stuck in traffic due to
    the road being shut down due to a large accident!)

Leg 3: Ogunquit, ME to Saratoga, NY
    278 miles / 21.57 mpg
    (So I may have been pushing 75-80 mph at times!)

City driving is usually around 17-18 mpg. I use Sunoco Premium. What I lose in gas mileage is more than made up by the comfort!
    What is the octane rating of Sunoco Premium? and does it contain ethenol?
    Recently we had an interstate trip from MN to Iowa when we recorded about 20.5 avg mpg. Used top grade of Conoco (I think 92 octane and including 10% ethenol).
    We now have 19,000 miles on our '05 since purchased new 12/05. Previous recordings of mileage were during cold/winter months. Cold may have had negative effect on mpg. Also breakin period may be longer than expected.
    Am not unhappy with road mileage over 20.
  • hellcat51hellcat51 Member Posts: 30
    Sunoco Premium is 91 octane. They also have Ultra 93 which is 93 octane. The difference in price is usually 2 cents a gallon. No ethanol as far as I know. And my mileage always goes down in the winter. I'm told it's due to additives they put in the gas for the cold weather here.
    21.2 mpg on trip of 388 miles over weekend. Avg about 60mph for most of trip; little city driving. Almost 20,000 miles on our 05 Endeavor, this is best mileage so far.
  • damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    Has anybody tried out the tornado to save on gas? Just wondering
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think they are snake oil; if they worked, the manufacturers would be using them to help meet their CAFE requirements. More in the Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets discussion.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    At 20k miles, my 05 Endeavor averages about 17 mpg. In Chicago, our fuel is 10% ethanol. The best hi way mpg has been about 19. I do push it hard, speeds on the interstate are about 80 mph in the center lane. The biggest improvement has been when the tires were inflated properly. Performance and mpg don't seem to be affected by an occasional fillup with something other than premium gas. I still get a kick out of seeing people put in 1 pint of a gas line antifreeze after filling up with gas that is 10% alcohol.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I still get a kick out of seeing people put in 1 pint of a gas line antifreeze after filling up with gas that is 10% alcohol.

Perhaps it negates the hygroscopic property of alcohol? :)

tidester, host
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I guess my point was, which is more effective at treating water in the gas tank, 1 pint of isopropyl alcohol or 2 gal. (20 gal x 10%) of ethanol. I can't remember the last time any of my cars had a frozen fuel line. I attribute this to the ethanol in the gas. The ethanol may also be the cause of poorer gas milage in this area than some others. I wonder if anyone here is using E85 fuel in their cars, other than Mitsu. Endeavors of course, and if they are, what kind of milage are they getting.
  • shadowtraxshadowtrax Member Posts: 8
    I've done some trips from the great lakes to the Southwest and a few ski trips to the mountains and I check my mileage the actual way (not using the MPG display on the dash) - number of gallons input, divided by the number of miles driven:
    Average City driving (a little expressway driving included): 15.2mpg (as low as 13.7 up to 16.1mpg - mostly around the 14.5-15.5 range)

Average Highway: 20mpg (as low as 18.9, high as 21)

Please Note: I've owned two Ford Explorers and one Trailblazer that got the same mileage in town and highway - no difference. My BMW 325xi (AWD) gets almost the same in town (about 16.5avg), and around 24mpg highway.

If you are getting around 15mpg city, and 20mpg highway, then you're getting decent expected mileage for an AWD, heavier vehicle (SUV type) - most vehicles of this size/weight/type get the same mileage.

I agree with others on the forum who've tried fuel additives or 'increasers', I've actually tried the "turbo, boost your gas mileage to 500mpg apparatus, K&N air filters, gas additives, and even some magnets (on a variety of cars) - just for the fun of it just to see if there was any difference in my mileage - NOT! Big waste of money and time.
  • firementl23firementl23 Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2005 AWD Endeaver 26600 mile on her and I am getting 12 mpg in the city and 15 on the hwy.And yes I have tried the tornato I have had my car in twice and they say its OK it winter and every car get bad mpg. filed a claim with mitsubishi and told them they SHOULD NOT put 17 mpg city 22 mpg hwy on the sticker if its not true. :mad:
    "By changing your driving habits and by using and maintaining your car correctly, you can improve fuel economy up to 38 percent (depending on how and what car you currently drive). Combine several tips and perform routine maintenance and you will save real dollars, not just pennies."

We Test the Tips Part II
  • mlewis1mlewis1 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a 2006 or 07 Endeavor. Is it true the endeavor requires premium fuel only ? And also, how is the gas mileage on the Endeavor?
  • cxshortiecxshortie Member Posts: 15
    I have been using plus instead of premium for the past two years or so. My mileage is about 19-20 mpg.
  • deon27deon27 Member Posts: 3
    Hello to All,
    I test drove a used 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor yesterday and I loved it (price 16k), however after reading everyone's comments I'm thinking this is not the best choice. I have read about gas mileage, the best tires, various problems, and the article that says Mitsubishi will go under. Nevertheless, I'm still interested. What should I do?
  • paulnkpaulnk Member Posts: 2
    mileage 28000
    in town 17.0
    on road 21.7
    all on regular 87
  • celdridge1celdridge1 Member Posts: 1

I just bought a 2006 Endeavor LS and drove it back to MN from AZ. I used premium and overall MPG was 19.34. My average speed was 69.3.

Sounds like you're right in the ballpark.

I'm heading south from the UP this week and have been watching the weather. Seems like you got back to MN a day or two early. :)