Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Transmission Questions

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Yes, you have to drop the pan.
    Yes, you should replace the gasket.
    Yes, there is a filter to replace.

When you buy the filter, there should be a new gasket included.

When you drop the pan, wipe the inside of the pan clean to get rid of the grim inside.

Make sure you get the new filter in place correctly.

Be sure to check your owners manual for the correct kind of tranny fluid to be used to refill.

If you have a large pan to catch the oil (it's going to come out all around the pan when you get the bolts loose), and something to measure (old 1 gallon milk jug), you should measure how much fluid you get out of the tranny. This will then give you a good idea of how much to pour back into the tranny after changing it.

Put about 1 quart less than what you catch out, then start and idle the motor, shifting thru the gears. Then check it again. Bring it up to where it's into the hash marks on the stick. Then drive it for a few miles, enough to get it warmed up nicely, than check it again and bring it up to full mark.
  • jcapshawjcapshaw Member Posts: 1
    Did you find the issue? Mine just started with that problem and now it is slipping for all gears. I have to rev it up to get it into gear until the pressure is built up and it will shift. A mechanic said he thought it was a torque converter clutch soloneoid. What did you find out?
  • psyphon20psyphon20 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem, i have a 94 and when i start it cold it doesn't find 1st right away i have to rev it a few times and then it might slip out of gear until the engine warms up a bit. then when I'm cruising around 45mph it can't make up its mind about shifting up or down so it fumbles around a bit until either slow down or feed it some more gas.
    If this isn't enough info feel free to ask a few questions and ill try and fill in the blanks best i can but i need a little help before i take it to get fixed cause I'm not looking forward to having some idiot charge me an arm and a leg to replace my trans if i dont have to
  • dangerranger20dangerranger20 Member Posts: 1
    Ok I Have a 97 Ranger w/ 2.3l engine and 5 Speed Tranny I just put in a new clutch, Slave cylander, and Pressure plate It worked for a while then it just would not shift into gear while running. Can someone help me?
  • ndfellerndfeller Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ford ranger pu at times when I put it in reverse and back up I push in the clutch and it keeps going I have to shut off the engine to get it out of gear, I already replaced the clutch, no help.

HELP Any ideas ????????
  • chapinjohnchapinjohn Member Posts: 3
    Today as I parked (XLT 4.0 automatic) and attempted to put the gear selector
    in Park and the truck eased forward. I turned off the ignition and
    now it will not turn over. The gear selector will go into the Park position (and
    out of park by pressing the brake pedal ) but
    the truck can be pushed forward so its not in park. I crawled under
    and moved cable back and forward. Problem evidently isn't there.
    Ignition seems okay, on and off checks the power door locks.
    Is there a sensor or relay I should look at?
  • joe159joe159 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 ranger. yesterday the clutch started poping. I pulled back the carpet and on both sides of the clutch rod the firewall is cracked about 3 inches. What would you do?
    Find a very good welder.
  • emg1981emg1981 Member Posts: 1
    So I have a 99 automatic Ford ranger and had some issues that started a month ago. First it wouldn't start so I took the alarm off and it ran again. Now I have to put it in 2nd to get it moving and when it hits about 3000 to 4000 rpms I slip it into drive.... if I drop below 3000 rpms it slips out of gear....and does nothing.... What can I do can someone help?
    Shift cable broke where it comes near the
    exhaust, $65 part, fairly easy installation.
  • cryptic86cryptic86 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95' ranger 4.0 liter 4x4 5 speed and I just put a new slave cylinder in the transmission. There is an air bubble somewhere but I can not get my coupling off the transmission not to mention I dont have the coupling tool either. so how do i get the coupling off with out the tool, or where can i buy the tool and how much is it?
  • marty20marty20 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks.
  • budz2budz2 Member Posts: 1
    Im looking to buy a 2000 Ranger from work and the Transmission has a bit of a slip in it, The guy trading it in says that the part to fix it is on backorder. Has anyone ever heard of the 2000 rangers with the 4.0 and auto doing this. I read another post that mentioned a valvebody spacer and another part. I like this truck but dont want to but someone elses nightmare. Thanks in advance :confuse:
  • singstreamsingstream Member Posts: 3
    I recently changed the transmission fluid on my 99 Ranger AT 2.5L. My Chilton repair manual for 91-99 Ranger/Explorer/Mountaineer says to "use Mercon automatic transmission fluid. DO NOT use improper fluids such as Dexron or gear oil."

The transmission fluid that I used says it is for Dexron/Mercon, but to not use on Ford vehicles that require Mercon V.

Can someone tell me if I will need change the transmission fluid again?
    There are a lot of used Rangers out there.

Why involve yourself with one with a slipping transmission?
  • dejohn6dejohn6 Member Posts: 1
    Would like some info to see if its the transmission or the clutch that is sadly not working properly.
    Gears are hard to shift into unless clutch is to the floor. Want to go to shop with some info on hand as its a cruel world out there. Gears do shift smoother after warming up for a while. Thanks
  • ohclemansohclemans Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 02 Ranger edge 4x4 Auto. Has 53,000 mile. I noticed at speeds at or about 60-65 the trans seems to down shift kinda hard. Almost has a clunk sound,is this a common issue?What could be the cause?
  • rangerman251rangerman251 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a new 2007 ranger FX4 level 2 in june. late in november i started to hear a clunking noise or a thud coming from under the truck every few min's as i was driving up a hill here in town . i took the truck back to the dealer and they replaced my transfer case saying it was faultly. it still never fixed the noise problem. so i took the truck back to ford again and this time i went with the mechanic on a road test and we both heard the thud noise twice . he said theat there's nothing he could do and that it was some sort of re-bound noise of the drive shafts when one wheel spins a bit faster than the other because of the road conditions of winter with snow and ice regulary on the road up here in the north. but i dont belive him because i've never heard of a truck make that kind of a nose if everything is supose to be fine . any thoughts of what it could be ? and the soulition

I'd like to add the truck only has 9000km on it and i only hear the noise when the truck is in 4x4HI going about 60-80 km .
    im just sick of hearing that sound
  • ohclemansohclemans Member Posts: 2
    Update my 02 Ranger only seems to have the clunking sound when I go into 4x4 back into 2 wheel drive. It has a clunking sound and seems as if it is shifting down hard,then it goes completely away after about 20 mile's.
  • chrisjaaaychrisjaaay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 4x4 ranger with the 4.0 litre engine and I had a new clutch put in about a week ago. The minute I started my engine after it was put in I noticed a grinding or spinning noise coming from right below my shifter. I thought it might be the new parts breaking in so I tried to ignore it for a few days but the noise persisted. When I consulted my mechanic about it, he drove my truck and told me that it was a normal thing for rangers after time to aquire that noise and that there was nothing he could do about it. This noise does not seem normal to me at all. It drives me nuts. Has anyone had this problem with a ranger ever? I can hear it through all 5 gears. Please help :shades:
  • lau123lau123 Member Posts: 3
    I know this is probably the wrong spot for this question, but not sure where else to post. How do I know if the '04 used 2WD Ranger I am considereing buying has the limited slip differential? The salesman said he could tell by the axle code of F6 on the tag on the door. I asked two different service people and they said you could not tell that way. You had to crawl uner the vehicle and look at the differential for a tag the would say LSD with a number. 3.73? Any one know? Thanks
    Here's something I found.

Google is your friend.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071220131031AApxoKR

Looks like F6 is Ranger Limited Slip.
  • lau123lau123 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the code definitions. My ranger does have it. Thanks again.
  • sasha2sasha2 Member Posts: 7
    I have a new ranger 2.3 manual with 7000 miles on it,when I shift gears and push the clutch in and release it, right before I take my foot off the clutch I can feel in the pedal the clutch make contact with the flywheel is this normal for the 2008 my 2005 I did not notice this. I might have to take it in to the dealer.Anyone else notice this?
  • 99ranger4x499ranger4x4 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 99 ranger and when i put it into drive it seems like it wants to stall and i wont let me gas it up to get it moveing. it will roll and eventually get up to 50 or what ever speed but on start offs it doesnt wanna move it almost feels like its going to stall. and when i put it in to reverse it like slams into it and wants to go. has anyone had this problem? i have it at a local shop and they are stumped.
  • cwbyjnkycwbyjnky Member Posts: 2
    My son has a 98 ranger with OD. Yesterday he shows me that the transmission selector does not match up with the gear. When in park it shows to be in the space between P and R. Same for all gears always 1 space to the right. Does anyone know what would cause this and what is the fix? Thanks
  • hiccuphiccup Member Posts: 1
    On my 03 Ranger, as I let the clutch out it makes a squeak. It only does it every now and then. And only in 1st. If I let the clutch out real slow it doesn't do it, nor if I release fast. It almost sounds like the clutch is rubbing. I've asked about 8 people and no one knows what it is. Any help?
    The problem is in the cable that goes from the gear shift to
    the transmission. If its like the one on my 95 Ranger, look
    at where the cable goes into the tranny. Near there
    you will see a white nylon latch that holds the cable.
    Press it open, sideways, being careful not to break it..
    Put the gear selcetor in the park position, and make sure
    the shifter on the tranny is in the park position, I think its
    as far to the rear as it will go, and slide the latch back tight.
    I had to replace that cable as it rusted where it came close
    to the manifoldand I had to make this adjustment.
    Safety first, put the hand brake on tight on level
    ground.
  • sasha2sasha2 Member Posts: 7
    Sounds like my 08 ranger after reading my manual I found I was shifting at over the recommened shift speeds so now I shift at the speeds in the ford manual and I do not get that feel in the clutch pedal ,I must have been over reving and shifting at a higher speed.Istill at times get that squeak in the pedal must be a ranger thing.Will at some point take it in for warranty check.
  • cwbyjnkycwbyjnky Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help I will look at it this weekend.
  • logan65logan65 Member Posts: 2
    i am doing a transmission swap in a 95 ford ranger and cannot figure out how to
    remove the gear selector cable from the transmission.
    can someone please advise me how to remove it or is there a special
    tool required to do the job.
  • logan65logan65 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please tell me how to remove the "Slave Cylinder Cable" from
    a 1993 Ford Ranger 5 speed manual transmission.
    I am doing a tranny swap and I have removed the old transmission but it is
    hanging from the truck by this cable.
  • locoatraxlocoatrax Member Posts: 3
    when in 4 wheel drive My truck feels like it jumps every block or so. sounds like its coming from rearend . 2 wheel drive it works fine , should I trade it in ?
  • iridium3iridium3 Member Posts: 1
    Had an 89 Bronco II (same chassis as a Ranger) that did the same thing. Turned out to be a partially clogged catalytic converter. Replacing the exhaust system solved the problem. :shades:
    the next day it stoped should I still worry, how do I check the catalytic converter?
  • mickeymacmickeymac Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 ford ranger in my shop with this problem I fix it today. It was a blow fuse check fuse #13 this a 15 amp fuse under hood this go to trans and O2 sensers. Check the wiring on O2 sensers on driver side .This was on the exhaust and short the fuse out hope this help
  • tfreeman2tfreeman2 Member Posts: 3
    Same thing happening in my 99 Ranger 4x4. Annoying noise but EXACTLY the same. In first only when I am not concentrating on the noise it happens, if I release slow , or fast no noise. Who knows what is happening, please?? Any fixes yet, two mechanics say it is just and annoying noise that Ford makes, but others say maybe a noisy Slave cylinder.
    \Help???
    Same thing happening in my 99 Ranger 4x4. Annoying noise but EXACTLY the same. In first only when I am not concentrating on the noise it happens, if I release slow , or fast no noise. Who knows what is happening, please?? Any fixes yet, two mechanics say it is just and annoying noise that Ford makes, but others say maybe a noisy Slave cylinder.
    \Help???
    Did you fix the noise yet?? my email is todd_freeman.bc@flightcentre.ca , we should chat about this , if you have fixed it let me know please.

Todd
    It wasn't the fuse?
  • 20532053 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of replacing the clutch on my 2003 Ford Ranger. It is a 2 wheel drive (4 cylinder with a 5 speed transmission). I have removed 8 bolts (13mm hex head bolts x 2 1/2" long) from around the transmission housing bottom and sides and can feel one more in a very akward position high on the right side (passenger side) of the housing (positioned near the front O2 sensor).
    The Haynes manual that I own does not indicate how many bolts there are in total nor does it show a picture of their locations. It appears to be very difficult if not impossible to access if there are any bolts located along the top of the housing.
    Questions:
    1. How many bolts (13 mm head x 2 1/2") are there in total? So far, I have removed 8 and have found 1 more as noted above.
    2. Are there any (13 mm head x 2 1/2") along the top portion of the tranny to engine?
    3. If there are, how do you access?
    4. Other than the dowel pins, are there any other bolts or nuts that must be removed along the tranny to engine that must be removed?
    5. I searched the web for pictures of the bolt locations. Can anyone direct me to a site or manual that shows this.
    6. The manual also references removal of the speedometer cable. I do not see this. Where is this located?
  • uneasyuneasy Member Posts: 1
    Can I put a transmission from an 88 ranger 5 spd into my 92 ranger
  • vicavica Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 ranger.....3.0, 4 wheel drive. When it shifts from 2nd to 3rd it will go right back into second and stay there. I have had the computer looked at and the transmission apart and looked at with no results. I also had the valve body changed and it is still doing the same thing. Any help would be great. Thanks
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    you stated you had the vb changed did you put a used vb on it or did you get a reconditioned vb ? these unit have a severe problem with the vb and usually it wont go away unless you buy a vb that has had all the new valves put in it
  • vicavica Member Posts: 3
    It was a used vb.....
    ok so are you getting any codes ie p0733 gear ratio error in 3rd and p0735 gear ratio error in 5th? if your answer is yes then you will need to replace the vb with a recon valve body assembly. its the only way to get rid of this problem. hopefully you havent damaged anything in the unit yet.
  • ahinsonahinson Member Posts: 17
    YSE ONLY MERCON NOT A COMBINATION
  • nak_machinistnak_machinist Member Posts: 7
    for about 2 weeks i've been having to pump my clutch several times to get it to go in gear(while cold) once the truck warms up it seems to do ok. today when i went out to go to work no matter how many times i pumped clutch it would not go into any gear the truck would just ease forward or backward as if clutch was not disengaged. my question is does this sound like a slave cylinder issue considering clutches dont usually come and go. vehicle is an '03 ford ranger edge 4x4 5spd
    yes its a slave issue but recommend replacement of slave and master at same time
  • rsstitanic1rsstitanic1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I'm changing the 3-4 silinoid out one a 88 ranger. Can anyone tell me how many torque lbs for the lower vavle body bolts.