Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Third Row Seating

robertfykerobertfyke Member Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Toyota
We are considering purchasing a RAV4 with the optional third row of seats.

I'd like to know what owners who have this option think about it. Was it worth the expense? Is it comfortable? Would you do it again?

Thanks for your help!

Related Content
Toyota RAV4 - Features & Specs
Toyota RAV4 - Safety

Comments

• jonesy30jonesy30 Member Posts: 2
    We're interested in the 2006 V6 Limited with third row seat, but were told at the dealership today that they don't have one, nor can they get one (implying that they're not being made, or that we'd have to have one built expecially for us).

Has anyone actually found one/driven one/bought one? We're in Boston if that makes a difference!

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Were you looking for Toyota RAV4 or Toyota RAV4 2006+?

tidester, host
  • jonesy30jonesy30 Member Posts: 2
    We're looking at the 2006 (or whatever's the latest model by the time we get around to actually making a decision!) :shades:
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    I have sent requests for quotes to dealers in the D.C., Atlanta and Oklahoma area on this vehicle and have had no one step up to offer me one at any price. I am glad I have time to wait and order a 2007 when they are available.
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    I'm from upstate NY. Took 2 months to find one, but had to drive to MD to get it. DARCARS. V6 Limited 4x4, 3rd row, airbags, etc. etc. They exist, but super hard to find. I got it for about $1000 under MSRP, so expect to pay a premium, as there aren't many to come by. We LOVE it. Well worth the battle.
  • macatomacato Member Posts: 2
    Help! I've lost everything in the stupid hurricane, so I'm looking for a very inexpensive vehicle that i can add the third row seats. I've heard about the RAV4. Any other suggestions.?
  • macatomacato Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for an inexpensive vehicle that offers a third row seat. Does the Chevy HHR? What wagons offer a third row seat? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try posting in the SUV vs. Minivans (SUVs & Vans Boards) discussion - third row seating comes up in there pretty often (you can use the Search This Discussion tool there or just skim the posts while waiting for responses).

Steve, Host
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    Doesn't RAV4 count? I got one with V6, side airbags and towing package for $24650. I would say it's inexpensive.
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    It's only comfortable for 2 kids.
    However, the 3rd row option also gets you firmer rear springs, rear sway bar, 17' aluminium wheels, and 500 lbs bigger payload.
    I got it and it's worth the expense, but hard to find.
  • devgundevgun Member Posts: 3
    It is good for 2 kids or an adult (for shorter distcances)with kids in second row....it is "worth it" for me but it was a difficult to find car.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Would have liked it but it was not worth the wait. I am not so sure about those aluminum wheels...though they were an option. Not having the seat does yeild one positive...there are 2 storage areas below the floor and one is quite large...great for storage both on vacations and to keep things out of the way.
  • jwatmkejwatmke Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking around a lot for an '06 with the third row - but have been unable to find any with leather... is Toyota not offering leather with a third row option?
  • daqule76daqule76 Member Posts: 6
    Third row seat option RAV4 does not come in leather in any of the models.
    Check out the 2007 Hyundai Sante Fe w/touring package...it has third row seats and the interior is much better than RAV4. I ended up purchasing a 2007 RAV4 Limited 4x4 V6 w/third row option for $27,000 after much research because of the reliability of Toyota.
    Super hard to find a RAV4/Limited/V6/3rd row. After two months of research, there were only (2) 2007 and (1) 2006 RAV4 with the above options among 9 dealers in the Sacramento, CA region in the week I bought a car. I had to get my least favorite color (black) but it was $1749 under MSRP($28,749).
  • amit5amit5 Member Posts: 1
    We are leaning towards a 2007 Rav4 base model with third row seats.

But can the 166 hp V4 engine haul a fully-loaded 7- seater with ease? Or, is a V6 an absolute must-have?

I'll be needing the third row only occasionally -mainly for within-city driving with small kids.

Thanks!
  • ashish2274ashish2274 Member Posts: 9
    We want to go in for a compact SUV, with option to seat 4 aduts + 2 kids in car seats once in a while.
    We are looking at buying a RAV 4. But the key issue is that we need it for 2 adults, and 2 kids in car seats (3 year and New Born).
    With 2 adults, and 2 kids in car seats, will we have enough space to seat 2 more adults once in a while ?
    Can the 2nd row accomodate 2 car seats and 1 adult, and then one adult in the 3rd row ?
  • homerfanhomerfan Member Posts: 27
    Unless you are talking about a VERY short ride (and a fairly short adult for that matter), you will NOT want to subject an adult passenger to the RAV4's 3rd row seating.
    And personally, I would not put a newborn back there either, since I seriously doubt those seats are as secure in a crash as the 2nd row seating would be.
  • homerfanhomerfan Member Posts: 27
    Amit5: The consensus on forums like this one seems to be that you just can't go wrong with the V6, and while the I4 might do fine on flat terrain under a full load, a V6 would have no problem even on steep grades. ;)
  • ashish2274ashish2274 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks.
    How about the 2nd row ? Can an adult sit comfortably with 2 kids in car seats ?
  • th79ncth79nc Member Posts: 11
    I wanted to know the same thing. Thinking about buying Rav4 as family (no kids yet), but can the 2nd row seat 1 adult and 2 baby seats?
  • devinudevinu Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I'm looking for a V6 4WD with third row and in my initial discussions with dealers, there seems to be some confusion. Some say that such a vehicle is not manufactured by Toyota and others say its on their floor. Does anybody here have a vehicle like that and did you run into the same problem with the dealers? What worries me is that the dealers who have them are retrofitting the third row in their dealership. Would that be possible at all or is it crazy to worry? :confuse:
  • jordan2324jordan2324 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I do have one but I got very lucky. I live in Santa Monica, California and none of the dealers had one, they told me the same thing they told you, that they are not making those with 3rd row seat any more. but one of the fleet manager told me that will get one for me, 3 days later; called me and told me to drive down to Las Vegas Nevada "Toyota Sahara" that they are holding one for me, I flew the same day and they had one but it was for display (showroom only)it was fully loaded (including navigation system)Bike rack, stater remote control, DVD player, step tube, the net poles, (does not come with 3rd row seat) hood protector, wind deflector; even valve caps had a RAv4 logo, even a logo of RAV4 on the spare tired in the back. it is a v6, 4x4, pacific blue, Limited. but had a sticker price MSRP 35,849.00 with 10 miles on it. The fleet manager told me this is one of a kind that only 50 of those came from Japan to US. long story short, car was not negotiable but I love the car that I bought it, out the door (Nevada has no tax)for 33,000. I spend 2 days in Vegas, he gave it to me because he promised me that if by the end of the day no one is willing to pay sticker price, and being me 1st time in Vegas, he will do something for me to come back, he will go below sticker price, This is a nice car, smooth ride and 3 row seat help for short trip with my daughters friend by going to the beach or going to baseball games. 3 weeks ago I was in Manhantan Beach, california and they had one but no V6. give them a call, you never know.
  • jordan2324jordan2324 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I do have one but I got very lucky. I live in Santa Monica, California and none of the dealers had one, they told me the same thing they told you, that they are not making those with 3rd row seat any more. but one of the fleet manager told me that will get one for me, 3 days later; called me and told me to drive down to Las Vegas Nevada "Toyota Sahara" that they are holding one for me, I flew the same day and they had one but it was for display (showroom only)it was fully loaded (including navigation system)Bike rack, stater remote control, DVD player, step tube, the net poles, (does not come with 3rd row seat) hood protector, wind deflector; even valve caps had a RAv4 logo, even a logo of RAV4 on the spare tired in the back. it is a v6, 4x4, pacific blue, Limited. but had a sticker price MSRP 35,849.00 with 10 miles on it. The fleet manager told me this is one of a kind that only 50 of those came from Japan to US. long story short, car was not negotiable but I love the car that I bought it, out the door (Nevada has no tax)for 33,000. I spend 2 days in Vegas, he gave it to me because he promised me that if by the end of the day no one is willing to pay sticker price, and being me 1st time in Vegas, he will do something for me to come back, he will go below sticker price, This is a nice car, smooth ride and 3 row seat help for short trip with my daughters friend by going to the beach or going to baseball games. 3 weeks ago I was in Manhantan Beach, california and they had one but no V6. give them a call, you never know
  • boxcarracerboxcarracer Member Posts: 4
    At what age/size is the 3rd row no longer fun to sit in?

I understand that the RAV4 third row is best for kids. I also understand that the third row is permanent – that it cannot be removed and, even when folded it takes up space that could otherwise be used.

My question is, at what age/size are the third row seats no longer fun but simply uncomfortable for long/short trips?

Our kids are 7 and 9 and although they love the idea of a third row now, I don’t know if they’ll feel the same way at ages 7 and 19. (Our last vehicle, a Honda Civic, lasted 10 years, and I believe that a Toyota RAV4 might too.)

Does anyone have experience with older kids sitting in the 3rd row?
  • rstibbettsrstibbetts Member Posts: 5
    Don't bother with the 3rd row. My 10 yr old daughter is already too big. We briefly considered the 3rd row (until sitting in it) and we are glad we did opted not to get it. Storage space is more important.
  • mytoy3mytoy3 Member Posts: 5
    The third row is not that bad. The leg room can be adjusted depending on how far back the 2nd row is set. It's really met for children, but an adult can still fit, but uncomfortably.

Personally I'd rather have the 3rd row, which folds down and hides nicely, to use on a rainy day then the extra compartment because there are already plenty of space available in the back.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    The third row is nice to have just in case you need to carry a couple extra people with you. Now of course it is uncomftorable for a couple of adults to sit back there. But if you are not going that far those two adults wont mind.
  • mome3mome3 Member Posts: 1
    We are in the market for a new vehicle. Right now we have a van but I'd rather get an SUV this go around. I've seen the RAV4 online and like the looks of it but I would want a 3rd row and I can't find any good information on that aspect. For one thing - is it usable? I mean, really LOL Or is it like the "leprechaun seats" in Impalas? I have only found 1 picture of it and with the shadowing I can't tell much about it. Is there ANY leg room for someone sitting in that row? Also, I know it was a new feature and apparently hard to find in '06 but is it more standard/readily available on the lots now? And is the cost an "add on" or is it part of the "base pricing"? I plan to actually see one in person obviously but the only car lots are about 45 minutes away from us and I won't be able to get out to one for at least another week or two.

I guess my biggest question is who has a RAV4 with a 3rd row - do you use it often - who uses it - do you like it or not and why?

For some reason this is not formatting correctly in the preview section so if this looks wonky I apologize ahead of time!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Uh...anyone ever consider what might happen to someone in the 3rd row if the RAV was rear ended...do they test this?
  • scottk2scottk2 Member Posts: 19
    Recently we purchased a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with third row seating. We came very close to purchasing a 2008 RAV4 with a third row. We test drove a few of them (2007) and had our kids (ages 10 and 7) sit in the 3rd row. It was tight but do-able. I was only going to use it occasionally if they had a friend over. Not for our main travel/family vehicle. I think in a few more years it would be too tight for them and definitely could not use the third row for a long trip for those ages. We like the RAV4s though and I was still going to purchase it but a deal fell through and then we decided to test drive the Santa Fe.

The Santa Fe is much roomier.

Scott
  • pma022pma022 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jordan2324 or anyone,

I'm in SFO Bay Area, California. It's very hard to find a 3-row V6 white RAV4 here. If I buy it from NV, AZ, or UT, how do I register the car? I never did this before. Very appreciate for your information.

pma
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check this California DMV link for their FAQ.
This discussion has been closed.