Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Electrical/Lighting Problems

Comments

• answer987answer987 Member Posts: 6
    The fuses are still good, the switch doesn't light up (how do i check it. Is there a way to check the relay? I tried to pull it out but it won't come out
  • jerzeejojerzeejo Member Posts: 5
    Dash lights no longer work. Only driver side window opens. Gas gauge doesn't work,etc. Mechanic has checked fuses, etc. and cannot give me an answer except to say it is an electrical problem.

Anyone have any ideas? :sick:
  • amiles1amiles1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a problem with my front driver and passenger power windows rear windows work fine. The driver and passenger window or intermittent may lose power and not roll up completely come back to car in maybe hour or two then will complete roll up think it might be the switch any one have any ideas
    please help
  • jerzeejojerzeejo Member Posts: 5
    Any secrets out there to make installation of a new motor easy? Anyone have good instructions?
  • rm48021rm48021 Member Posts: 2
    Have you tried replacing the horn relay??
  • rm48021rm48021 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Grand AM, and I have to replace the fuel pump relay. I have looked at a wiring diagram, and everything else on the circuit is good. Also there are no fault codes. Please HELP??????
  • erichmerichm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 pontiac grand am. The running lights are all out, when i turn on the hazaards or brakes the lights work. But while its on they dont do anything. I am thinking it mught be a relay,but idont know if they have one. Does anyone know if it has one, if so where it is and how to replace it? if it doesnt have one what it could be?
  • gib47gib47 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 pontiac grand am that doesn't have any turn signals or emergency flashers, and the remote door opener doesn't work. Plus I have body control module light on and occasionally trac off light that comes on. I have not been able to find the flashers under the dash and am not sure what to do.
  • dp5010dp5010 Member Posts: 11
    #2496 of 2496 Grand Am Rear Turn Signal Lights by dp5010 Sep 27, 2007 (7:35 am)
    My 2000 Grand Am V6 SE has Rear Turn Signal problems. When the blinker started blinking too fast, I removed the rear tail light covers thinking I would have to replace blown bulbs. Turns out the bulbs are okay but the housing/slots the bulbs fit in have melted and deformed and I either loose the connection or the heat also deformed the base of the bulb.

Has anyone else experinced this problem. Dealer says he has never heard of this (yeah right!). Pontiac has refused to review the problem unless it comes from the dealer who wants $'s to look at it and diagnose.

Do I have to replace the bulb holder? What does that cost?
  • tmiller07tmiller07 Member Posts: 2
    Please help! My 2004 Grand Am GT has had this problem back in Sept 2005 when I bought it. The mechanic replaced the switch and it worked until now. I am 8 months pregnant and signaled to turn and the darn thing failed again and I was almost rear ended. I looked at the old invoice and I paid $200 and my warranty paid the rest (I just bought it used) now I called the mechanic and he said it would be $700 to replace! OMG.....what do I do now? Should I go to a dealership and see what they say?

The turn signal's and hazzard does not work at all. This is very dangerous for anyone not just me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Also the inside trunk button has not worked since I bought it either and I can not figure this one out.
  • bluesdogbluesdog Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I have a 2000 Grand Am with a power window problem. Any window will stop working for a period of time (usually 1-2 days)and then start working again. It floats from window to window which leads me to believe it is nothing to do with internals of the door. Major problem when it is drivers window trying to pay tolls or any type drive thru. I also have had the security light problem since I purchased the vehicle. After it finally would not reset, dealership replaced the ignition switch and all was fine for aprox 6 mos. Brought it back and I was told it was a defective switch and it was changed again. 14 months later, light is on ALWAYS and flashes every 10-15 starts and needs the 10 min reset fix. 14 months and dealership says "past work warranty of 12 months".

Any Idea how to fix the Window and is this somehow related to passlock security problem?

Bluesdog
  • danielle03danielle03 Member Posts: 2
    Hello!
    I have a 2004 Grand Am, And I have a constant blinking noise after the turn signal is released. I would appreciate any HELP fixing this. Can you tell me how to get the dash off to get to the problem if you know what the problem is? Thanks.
  • danielle03danielle03 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 04 Grand am that does the same thing, Did you figure out the problem? Any help greatly appreciated.
  • srl5522srl5522 Member Posts: 4
    Grease seeps from inside the multifunction switch and shorts the terminals. To fix, remove the 3 screws under the column and remove the top cover in front of the steering wheel. Remove the wiring connectors and the one screw that holds the switch in place. Clean the grease out with a Q-tip. When reinstalling, make sure you push the pin in that rides on the back of the steering wheel (it's easy), then assemble in the reverse order of the dissassembly.
  • srl5522srl5522 Member Posts: 4
    Grease seeps from inside the multifunction switch and shorts the terminals. To fix, remove the 3 screws under the column and remove the top cover in front of the steering wheel. Remove the wiring connectors and the one screw that holds the switch in place. Clean the grease out with a Q-tip. When reinstalling, make sure you push the pin in that rides on the back of the steering wheel (it's easy), then assemble in the reverse order of the dissassembly.
  • angie1976angie1976 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this car for a little over a year now and the only problems I am having is, one, every now and then the security light will come on and will start blinking, when this happens i can not start the car...2, not too bad...but very annoying, when I use the blinkers the light will turn off when its supposed to, but the sound keeps going for a while. Any help with this would be great!! Thank you!!
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Go over and read through the security passlock problem area in this forum.
  • bmcm2007bmcm2007 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 pontiac grand am and I put a new radio in it and could not start the car. I wired it to the fuse box and now it wont start. Also, I found out my blinker will stay on after I turn off my blinkers, there is a clicking noise that sounds like its comeing from behind the radio. HELP PLEASE!!!! b_mcm2007yahoo.com
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    I have a 2003 pontiac grand am and I put a new radio in it and could not start the car. I wired it to the fuse box and now it wont start. Also, I found out my blinker will stay on after I turn off my blinkers, there is a clicking noise that sounds like its comeing from behind the radio. HELP PLEASE!!!! b_mcm2007yahoo.com

You probably connected the new radio incorrectly and cause the battery to drain down. The new radio, is this an aftermarket radio or another Pontiac radio? Normally, you could find vehicle connector adapter between any GM vehicle and an aftermarket radio at Circuit City or may be Best Buy. The vehicle connector adapter costs you $ 10-15. So you do not have to connect to the fuse box.

Any radio needs :12 BATTERY, GROUND and IGNITION wire to function.12 V BATTERY and GROUND to power the radio. The IGNITION wire is important and should be connected to the vehicle original radio connector. It tells the radio to go to sleep when you turn off the car (IGNITION off). After that the radio will draw very little juice. Otherwise, if the radio does not go to sleep, it only takes 1-2 days to kill the car battery.

jt
  • kdeezlekdeezle Member Posts: 12
    The sunroof on my 99 grand am gt will only open a little bit and then stop. Sometimes it opens the entire way, but that is rare can anyone tell me the possible problem
  • hook2hook2 Member Posts: 6
    I have a grand am 2002. I have a clicking noise coming from the 4 way hazzard lights. I replaced the switch and still have the same sound. it clicks real fast even when the blinker is off. any suggestions.
    thanks, Hook
  • di00721di00721 Member Posts: 1
    Have you figured out why this happens? My car does this same thing.
    Don't spend any money. Try this first.
    I was told it was the 4 way hazzard switch. So i bought one from the dealer and installed it . That did not solve the problem. and part is non returnable.
    So I did the following...I rebooted the computer on the car. Step 1) Turn key on the "ON" position
    Step 2) Disconnect the battery
    Step 3) Turn Key off
    Reconnect battery and start car.. This stop the noise
    as of yesterday. no noise today, hopefully this solves the problem. have a great day
  • grand_am2003grand_am2003 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT. I have had several electrical problems...one by one...my fault for not addressing issues earlier.
    1) Change Oil light stayed on, even after resetting after I changed oil. Eventually, it went off after a few months. Didn't replace fuse (I know, I should have).
    2) Lighter outlet stopped working awhile back. Hardly used it, so didn't have it checked out.
    3) Few months ago, keyless entry remote stopped working. Changed battery & it worked fine for a couple of weeks, then stopped working. Changed battery again...couldn't get it to work. I lock/unlock car manually now with key.
    4) Noticed 3 days ago that when I start car, clock resets to 12:00. Around same time, I noticed car turns over slow..acts like it won't start, (like the battery is going bad) then it starts.

Before I spend loads of money at a mechanic...could use some suggestions what these problems could mean and what I can do.
    Electrical...battery....both?

Any help would be appreciated!
  • grand_am2003grand_am2003 Member Posts: 2
  • gearrgearr Member Posts: 21
    Check the ground strap on the block and frame may be lose and the battery conections
    Gearr
  • caichercaicher Member Posts: 1
    My change oil light came on so I took it in for an oil change. When it was not reset, I asked around to see how I could reset it. I have been told to turn the key to on, hit the brake three time, turn the key to on and hit the gas three times, and lastly, remove the fuse cover and reset it. The first two did not work and the last one, I couldnt get the fuse cover off.

Can anyone help me get this reset? I have a 95.

-Tired of seeing the check oil light
  • katieembeekatieembee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Grand AM and whenever my car feels like it, it won't start and then the security light flashes for exactly ten minutes. If I keep the car in the ON position for that time and then turn the car off, then try to start it it will work again. It's just seriously annoying and now my battery is dead because I was having to leave the car ON and not running all the time.

Anyone have a similar issue with their car?
  • cobra8cobra8 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where to locate the turn signal relay on a 94 grand Am?
  • lkeehnlkeehn Member Posts: 2
    Find an owners manual the info should be in there. Have a 2003 and it tells you exactly what to do to reset it.
  • lkeehnlkeehn Member Posts: 2
    I fixed the blinkers and by the way awesome instructions. I just have a problem with the horn now that I did that. The horn works when setting the alarm but it won't work when pushing the steering wheel. When I put everything back together I made sure the pin that sticks out of the multifunction switch was pushed in to slide behind the round brass-colored disc behind the wheel (no idea what that part is called). Also if I use a screw driver and jump from that metal disc to a piece of the metal on the column the horn will honk. Have no idea what is going on anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
  • mikewbf15mikewbf15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Grand am. All the gauges, Tach, Speedometer, temp, fuel began to fluxuate then all went to zero. Temp went to zero, yet red overtemp light at top of the gauge is on. Fuel gauge is at zero and low fuel light is on. The gauges appear to be powered, but at zero. All other instrument lights are on as well, low traction, check engine, etc. What do all the gauges have in common that could cause this? Perhaps the computer? Don't want to replace it unless I'm sure that's the problem...
    Any ideas?
  • magnajkmagnajk Member Posts: 2
    When i put the key in the ignition and turn the key it starts right up. When i take my hand off the key. it stops.. i replaced the ignition cylinder key. it is the same problem. drives me crazy!! Do you know about the problem? pls help me.. thk u very much.
  • magnajkmagnajk Member Posts: 2
    Most likely a bad ignition switch.
  • eliz4eliz4 Member Posts: 5
    The service vehicle light comes on and after reading the manual, I set the parking brake and it will shut off. Then, it will come back on when the automatic lighting feature shuts off.

Is this the sensor and does it need immediate attention? Any information on this would be great. Not sure what this drl thing is or does?

Thanks!
    Maybe I don't understand what your referring to, but what does the DRL's have to do with the service vehicle light?
    DRL = daytime running lamps
  • eliz4eliz4 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, that was one of my ?? as well. I guess it was a warning that something was wrong the car, not just the drl, but something was a miss. The manual suggested it was the sensor connected w/ the drl's and that was causing the light to come on.

But, I check the lights and found out one of my headlights was out. Apparently, the mechanic said the light was ok, but it was way out of alignment and looked like it was "jammed in" and this was causing the sensor to detect it. Hence the light coming on.

The whole inside had to be taked out since somebody "rigged it" w/ bolts and the light "simply" couldn't be put back in. I remember I had some body work done and I believe this is how the whole thing started!

Lesson learned, if your warning lights work, they are a great tool and be careful who does body work on your vehicle!
  • kaelyekaelye Member Posts: 2
  • kaelyekaelye Member Posts: 2
    I started the car the other day and noticed that my gas gage isn't registering, the light saying it is empty is on, the coolant and the trak light is on. The gas tank is full, the coolant is full. As far as I can tell everything else on the instrument panal is working fine. Any ideas would be helpful.
    Thank you.
  • dodo3dodo3 Member Posts: 2
    Mike, I am having the exact same problem with my 1997 Grand Am. Just started all at once. Have you found the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Steve
    turn the key in the on position disconect battery than turn key to off position then reconnect battery see if that works this should reboot the computer good luck.
  • dodo3dodo3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunatly when I disconnect the battery you cannot turn the key to the off position. Once the battery is hooked back up the key turns normally. If you come up with any other suggestions let me know. Steve
  • jeffeverettjeffeverett Member Posts: 8
    Also while im here,, my turnsignals quit working, and the weird thing is my flasher button on the dash above the radio, if you push it in and kinda hold it, the turnsignals work { the right one anyways } and it sounds kinda like a short or something when i push my flashers on, and no the flashers dont work either, but if i mess with the flashers the right turn signal will work sometimes !! Would a bad flasher do this or something else !! Thanks
  • jeffeverettjeffeverett Member Posts: 8
  • bronk08bronk08 Member Posts: 5
    I am having problems with my 2004 Pontiac Grand AM SE. When I hit the brakes the headlights dim and heater bogs down. I have had the battery and altenator replaced. What else could be the problem? My local Pontiac dealership is also unaware of what is going on. PLEASE help.
  • lenamarie73lenamarie73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I have a 99 Grand Am with some turn signal issues. First of all when I press the brake the entire right tail light goes out and the turn signal indicator on the dash stays lit solid. When I signal right (while driving and not braking as on an interstate to change lanes) the turn signal indicator on dash blinks really fast and the lower left reverse light blinks also??? My mechanic replaced both tail light circuit boards and nothing, still happening. Now he wants to replace the entire turn signal switch. From what I've been reading on many boards is that it could be the flasher? I don't know, I'm frustrated and confused. I'm a single mom and I really can't afford all this "guessing" by my mechanic...someone help please!! :cry:
  • bronk08bronk08 Member Posts: 5
    Yes I have a 2004 Grand Am and when I am on the brakes the headlights dim and the heater bogs down. As soon as I hit the accelerator it all comes back. I have had a brand new battery and altenator put in and I am still puzzled. My pontiac dealer also checked the grounds to make sure that it was all ground. PLEAS HELP!!!
  • nessa43nessa43 Member Posts: 3
    I have had all the same exact problems as yourself since I purchased my 2004 Grand Am. I am now going to try replacing the both relays in the car as now my lights are intermitantly going on and off. Major safety hazard. The dealer has checked this car numerous times and never found anything causing this. If this fixes my problem I will gladly let you know. I won't have the relay until Wednesday. Seems to me that if you are having the same exact symptoms there is another underlying cause of this problem. If you don't mind me asking what state did you purchase your car????? I purchased mine in southwest florida.
  • nessa43nessa43 Member Posts: 3
    the instructions on how to access this is in your owners manual. if you don't have one leave me a reply and i will post out of my manual.