Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Electrical/Lighting Problems

minakominako Member Posts: 2
I own a 1997 pontiac grand am. all the gauges stopped working at once and my low coolant and check oil warning lights won't go off. I was told it wasn't the fuses, and don't have a clue what it could be. please help

Comments

• toledogttoledogt Member Posts: 1
    hi. i have a 97 grand am gt v6 3.1

my car was recently broke into the busted up the steering column in attempt to steal it.

well the broke off some wires that i can only assume have to do with the security system of my car. the car will start but wont stay running. it shuts off after a few seconds.

is there a diagram as what this area looks like

there are 3 wires a black/white/yellow but i dont know where they connect to
  • dr_zoidbergdr_zoidberg Member Posts: 4
    I have the same car and similar situation. Fluctuating guages, and check oil warning light flashes me on a regular basis....anyone want to offer us some ideas?
  • jason31jason31 Member Posts: 2
    I need some help I have a 1997 grand am when I turn the key I get nothing from the starter but then the ground wire going to the chassis get real hot. What can I do to correct this.
  • kmajorskmajors Member Posts: 17
    You have a short somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter. If the ground wire only gets hot when you turn the key start there and trace the wire back to the starter.
  • jason31jason31 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you I found the short. Thanks for the help.
  • srmadisonsrmadison Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 grand am having some odd electrical things going on. dash lights wont work, warning lights are all on, cooling fan doesnt come on, has a new battery and it dies ALOT, starts fine again with a charge. alternator and everything else checks out ok...would appreciate some input. thanks
  • wsraganwsragan Member Posts: 1
    The Passlock security system on my 2000 Grand Am went out several months ago and I spent about $400 having a locksmith replace the key set (tumblers). It looks like the same system is going out again and I am not looking forward to having this part replaced annually. Has anyone experienced the same problem? I have checked with Pontiac regarding service advisories.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I don't see how replacing the tumblers has anything to do with the passlock - usually the Hall-Effect sensor on the ignition switch is the problem and has to be replaced.
    When I had the 99 I had to have it done and the problem never occured again.
  • trine16trine16 Member Posts: 1
    1st- Driver door refused to unlock even with key.... finely hooked lock thru window for access. Now doors do not lock when drive engaged.
    2nd- Driving along and can hear flasher going nuts. Stopped car, no taillights blinking and turn signal not turned on. Then just stops. Replaced flasher still a problem. Very annoying.
    3rd- Interior lights will not shut off ...ever. Had to remove 2 underdash light bulbs. Overhead also turned off.
    New battery, new alternator. No one can diagnose.... HELP Please.
  • kelley04kelley04 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my dash lights not working. The dealership wants to charge me to glance at the issue; can you please lend any advice that you may have found to solve the issue? Thank you very much, Kelley
  • luvv2play2luvv2play2 Member Posts: 1
    Why would my interior lights on my 2005 Grand Am work, the dashboard lights work but the light on the clock/stereo doesn't work..??
  • rich76rich76 Member Posts: 1
    98 grand am keeps stalling out on the road and wont restart for hours, changed cam sensors and every other sensor, problems started after power steering pump was changed, any similar problems?help please...
  • dhowlietdhowliet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am with and I am experiencing some problems. The ETS/ABS light will not turn off. I took it to have the brakes looked at and I was told there was no problem with the brakes. When pressing on the accelerator to go, the car will make a grinding noise. Can someone please help?
  • damngrandamdamngrandam Member Posts: 3
    okay well this is what happened....one day i noticed my lights 4 my speedometer gauges didnt come on at night time but the change oil and all the others lights like check engine blah blah work when i start the car. well i figured it could be a fuse so i changed it the next day. sure enough it was a blewn fuse and i replaced it and it all lite up fine. Well a few days later it went out again... :mad: so im thinking that damn fuse again... so i go to change it and its not the fuse this time(fuse aint blown) i change it neways... still dont work...now i am being to wonder if there was a short somewhere that could of caused the bulbs inside the speedometer to blow maybe?... anyone have problems with this b4? what should i do? maybe pull the speedometer out and see if i should replace the bulbs? i dont know.... can neone help me or have any recommondations... i can't see how fast im goin at night :cry: ... please help
  • mlhowardmlhoward Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Grand Am SE2. A few weeks after I bought the car the check engine light came on. My mechanic told me to take it on the highway for about an hour and it should turn off. I thought that was strange, but I did it and it worked. It came on again in about 2 weeks. I noticed it was after it rained and one of the tail lights had condensation in it. So now they're calling it an electrical problem. 2 weeks ago I had the flasher start making noise when it wasn't on. I was already taking my car in for new locks (someone drilled through them but I had taken my laptop out already) and I mentioned it. It was another electrical issue, they fixed some wires and I had the car back the next day. The interior lights came on a month after I bought the car and wouldn't turn off. My cousin was driving the car and went to turn the fog light wheel and they turned off. I asked my mechanic and he said it was another electrical issue. The lights did it again and I just spun the wheel a few times and they turned off.
  • afcobra2afcobra2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems with a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT. The blinkers work sometimes and then they stop working. I'm thinking its the relay, so I went and bought one... only problem is I can't find where it installs... everyone is telling me that most of the time they are located underneith the dash, but I can't find it. Anyone know where this round blinker relay plugs in? Thanks!!
  • sissysnymansissysnyman Member Posts: 8
    I own a 95 Grand Am POS that has been deemed totaled because someone hit me! Now the thing is red with one white door :sick:

Anyhow, among various other problems I have and currently do experience the warning light issue. I have no clue how to fix it or what it's from but ever since I bought the car it has gone through periods of the ABS light coming on and going off but my ABS seems to function fine. Also, the check oil light has done so in the past as well and the service engine soon, etc. Basically, I do agree that it's some sort of electrical issues. Also, once in a great while my headlights will just GO OFF! Sometimes when I'm driving down the road. I flash them to high beam and back quickly and they come back on. It's so strange. It's a real POS but at least I don't have a car payment. However, been sinking so much into it sicne that guy hit me in January that I'm begining to wonder if it's worth it. I seem to have most the problems sorted out except for the WET FLOOR! I have no idea what its' from by my drivers side floor is always saturated with water!

Good luck with finding answers on this and your other issues with your car. I know that I'm stubborn and won't enter into car payment mode but when I eventually do see this one in a demolition derby or a junk yard then I think I'll opt to buy a Toyota or Honda or Volkswagen! :shades:

It will be so nice to drive around in a safe, reliable car. I'm a teacher and I proudly drive the most shite car out of the whole parking lot. A POS 95 Red Grand Am with one white door, dents all along the drivers side (from where the guy slammed into me), rusty spots all over it, a crinkled bonnet and junkyard windscreen (The bonnet flipped up and the windscreen shattered whilte the mechanic was trying to fix it)! :sick:
  • bsugreg126bsugreg126 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Am GT with just over 100,000 miles on it. I'm having some issues starting the car. The car has never NOT started for me, but sometimes it sounds like its not going to. It seems like the longer I let the car sit without driving, the BETTER it starts. However, if I let the car sit for maybe an hour, then go to start it, it just sounds terrible, turning over and over and takes awhile, choking to idle when it finally starts. Also, when i drive it after this, it is very slow and sluggish and obviously something is wrong. I can then stop, park, turn off, and immediately start again, it will then start right up perfectly and drive like brand new. And again, this only happens if I let it sit for maybe anywhere from an hour to half a day. If it is not started/driven for long periods it will ALWAYS start right up perfectly and drive like new. I'm confused, I always thought cars were harder to start the longer they sit....not mine. Any ideas?
  • allie702allie702 Member Posts: 1
    This was a recall. Contact your local dealership.
  • beermatebeermate Member Posts: 1
    I have two grand am gts. A 2001 GT1 and a 2002 GT. This has happened to both of my cars and its not a recall. Try replacing the hazard switch in the dash by the traction control button. you have to pull the dash apart a little bit to replace it but it will save you lots of money from having the dealership do it. If when you turn your blinker on you hear a loud click in the hazard switch and your turn signals intermittently dont work try pressing the hazard switch a couple of times and i bet they come on. At least this one is a cheap fix.
  • wesleyjohnsonwesleyjohnson Member Posts: 1
    For the past few weeks I have been having trouble with my electrical system.

My first problem involved the power locks. They would "unlock" but when I hit them to lock, they wouldn't work. Also, I know the locks are suppose to automatically lock after reaching a certain speed, this now happens at unusual times. Later, my interior light seemed to come on at odd times and would stay on for too long. Eventually, I noticed almost every time I hit my break the light would turn on. If i set my light to not come on at all, the headlights would dim when I applied my break.

I had noticed before this my "security" light came on. I read the entry about that light in the manual but it went off so I didn't pay it much mind.

Today, I was on my way to work and ran out of gas. I knew my light was on so I should have stopped. My sister's husband came by and gave me enough gas to start but the car wouldn't go. It'd attempt to start but eventually died. He sprayed ether in it which would keep it idling while he did it but when I applied gas it'd attempt to go up but then die.

Anyone experience similar problems?
  • klimekklimek Member Posts: 2
    The Lights on my speedomerter have gone out as well. As did the lights to my climate control! Have you found out the problem for your speedo lights going out? I would realy like to know cause i can no longer see my speed at night either.
  • hylia02hylia02 Member Posts: 6
    There is a problem with the headlights. The lights first worked when we purchased the car, but eventually they went out. We tried replacing the bulbs, but that was unsuccessful. We wanted to replace the fuse/circuit breaker but we haven't been able to find the right fuse for headlamps.

We drive a 1995 Grand Am. Even stranger, the highbeams work and the running lights work :confuse: but the headlights do not. Should I go through the trouble of replacing the fuse and then try replacing the bulbs again? Thanks.
    If possible if both lights went out at the same time that the combination switch is bad. That's the turn signal/light/high beam switch. They have been a problem.
    Is that something I can fix/replace myself or would I have to go to a mechanic?
    :) Thanks
    I just looked up a part for another car and its not cheap- could it be the switch even if the highbeams, and turn signals work?
    Sorry, to bombard with posts, but I found a page that listed some switches for pontiacs, would I need something like it:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/HeadlightSwitch/Pontiac/GrandAm

and should I check my manual? Thanks.

I also I read something that circuit breakers for cars (unlike fuses) never need to be replaced, just reset. Is that true?
    I'll try to answer your questions:
    You can change it yourself. You have to remove the top plastic cover on the column (screws are underneath, it's a bit tricky) to get access to the switch. Of course the battery should be disconnected during the work.
    It's possible that this is your problem, but it could be something else, the system should be diagnosed. It could be a bad relay also.
    I'm not aware of any resettable circuit breakers in use on this model or any others, but it's certainly possible.
    The link for the part is a good substitute, it's about $30 less than the GM online price.
    I've had to change this part twice on our venerable 95 Grand Am (doing fine at 126K, but my fingers are crossed) once by the dealer under warranty, once myself, but in those cases the symptoms were different, non working turn signals, unreliable high beam switch.
  • celtusceltus Member Posts: 3
    I was in my girlfriend's Grand Am the other day, and proceeded to use the car lighter. She told me I didn't replace it properly, and it was sticking out. Now, the power locks don't work. The doors will lock when the doors are closed, but the buttons don't work at all.... I'm wondering, is this a fuse, or a more major problem? And could it be my fault from the lighter? or was it just bad timing that they stopped working the same trip as the fateful lighter usage?

I'd used the lighter previous to this time, but without apparent problems. can someone please help me! I feel horrible for what happened!
  • ss3ss3 Member Posts: 4
    My son was driving his 2002 Grand Am today and put his blinker on to make a turn. When the blinker turned off there was a constant, loud, fast, clicking noise that would not stop. If he turns the blinker or the flashers on the clicking stops. He took the dash apart and disconnected the wire to the blinker and flasher and the clicking stopped. When he connected it back the clicking started again and will not stop. Does anyone know what is wrong and what would fix this problem.
    Strange, what year is it? Our 95 has developed the same problem. My daughter drives it and has been using one of those Ipod FM transmitter swivel arm things in the lighter outlet. When you pull it out the top of the console moves up with it a ways. I don't have a wiring diagram for this car but I'm wondering if there's a connection block back behind there somewhere that is having an effect some effect on it.
    I found a wiring diagram. The lighter and the power door locks are fed off the same 15A fuse (labeled "courtesy"). Haven't had a chance to check it yet.
  • djollyfedjollyfe Member Posts: 1
    My daughters car has done the exact same thing. I changed out the emergency blinker switch and it didn't help. Any one have any ideas?
    we checked every fuse and couldn't find anything wrong with them. they will still lock when driving, just not off the buttons.
  • mac118mac118 Member Posts: 1
    Hey im new to the site, I owned a 2002 grand am Se I might change the topic here but I have a custoim interior for sale, its a painted interior, door pieces, center console. Its a real head turner, I know most paintedinteriors look crapy but not this one it looks as it would be fiberglass, its real glossy, please email me if your intrested..... Oh and the color is red. Im asking $300 bucks for it Its really nice. My email is martell_correa@hotmail.com
    In my case it turned out to be the courtesy fuse. That 15A fuse supplies the 12V outlet, power door locks, and power mirrors if so equipped. The power door locks will still lock when you put it into gear even if the fuse is out.
    Really eh? and where would I find the "courtesy fuse"? is it in the panel with the rest? if so, do you know what number it is? this seems to be what the problem is....
    On the main fuse panel, left side of dash. Top row, second over from the right if I remember right.
  • jusm5411jusm5411 Member Posts: 1
    I think my neighbor messed up my delayed locking when he was installing a new radio. My 2004 Grand Am would chime 3 times before the door locks and now it doesn't also the car doesn't chime when I leave my headlights on and turn the car off.

What could I do
  • sleeprgtsleeprgt Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend headlights on her 94 grand am kept shutting off while she was driving. THey usually would kick back on if she hit her hi beams.

Now no headlight works.Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with this vehicle.

I am thinking that it is a fuse, But i have no clue which one it is.
    Supposively Pontiac sais that headlamp fuse will cost 20 bucks. I know there has to be some place were I can get a cheaper fuse to fit this car Does anyone know where I could get one. Thanks

DB
  • barbstoy99barbstoy99 Member Posts: 8
    This is my first time at this site. I have a 95 Pont Grand Am GT that has the water problem that I have been trying to correct for 6 months. I think I found the solution to that problem, but it also has an electrical problem. First the front driving lights wouldn't work, so I replaced both bulbs, cleaned the contacts, and seated the wires securely. Everything was just fine until my son was pulled over for no tailights, the instrument panel lights were also out. I heard that I needed a "relay switch". The headlights are also funky, the dimmers work just fine, but the bright lights have only one light on instead of the normal two. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My son has to drive my car to work at night so I'm stranded. I also need to know where the relay switch is and can I change it myself.
    That sounds like the combination switch to me. The aftermarket replacement switch is better than the factory replacement in my experience.
  • jeffry747jeffry747 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this board and I have a 1996 Grand Am SE with a 2.4L 4-cyl. engine. A few weeks ago my battery died while I went on a trip to the gas station. I got the car started, got back home, and replaced the battery shortly after. After doing so, the check engine light, ABS light, and ETS light would not go out. The ABS light was pretty random, but the ETS light and Check engine light always came on simultaneously. At first I wasn't worried, figured the lights were just acting up. Then the battery light came on, which was a sure sign to me that the alternator was going out. I promptly had the alternator replaced, and for about a week, everything was fine and dandy. But now, the check engine light and ETS off light are coming on together again. I am worried that this is a sign that the alternator or battery are having problems again. I have to take the car on a road trip soon, but I am scared she is gonna leave me stranded. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my car?
    Was the replacement alternator a new or a rebuilt one? Is it working, i.e. when the engine is running is the battery being charged (should be around 14VDC when under charge). I wouldn't take it anywhere until it's understood what the problem is. Depending on your use, it's feasible that a good battery could last several days without being recharged, so you may just be seeing the symptoms now.
    Also, on that engine and that year, you may want to check the tensioner pulley for the serpentine drive belt, after a lot of miles those tended to bind up and not put the right tension on the belt, which may cause it to slip over the alternator drive pulley and not run the alternator at full speed.
    I replaced both rear power window motors and they work great. The front windows go down about 1/3 and there is a gear clicking noise. When they go up and reach the top there is also this noise. I don't want to put any more money into this 95 piece of ____. The drivers side window started randomly going up and down and couldn't be stopped without pressing the control button numerous times. I just got a new battery today and now the window doesn't have a mind of its own, but both still don't work properly. How can I resolve this problem?? I still don't have dash lights or tailights/parking lights. :lemon: :lemon:
  • ss3ss3 Member Posts: 4
    Did you find a soulution to the clicking noise? My son's car is still making the noise.
  • klimekklimek Member Posts: 2
    I Am still in the same boat. My car still has the blinker sound even when the blinker is not in use. :confuse: I would love any insight on this problem. Also My speedo lights have gone out so i cant see my speed at night. :sick: I value any help.
    Check your tailights. When my instrument panel lights went out I also lost my parking lights and tailights. I went to a reputable mechanic today and he traced the problem back to the combination switch on the turn signal/headlight/cruise control shifter. good luck and if you find a reasonable solution please let me know. :sick:
  • flashygrandamflashygrandam Member Posts: 2
    1. 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM
    2. Engine size 2.4 L4
    3. Transmission AUTOMATIC
    4. Mileage 160000
    5. Fuel Injection
    6. ABS brakes
    7. Cruise control CRUISE CONTROL, A/C, POWER STEERING

My 1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr 4cyl automatic transmission is messing up. When I open a door, bump in to it, turn it on or do anything that involves electricity the car lights start flashing and clicking and if I hadn't turned of my alarm horn it would beep sometimes. It will even start flashing when I come to a stop light, and the engine is still running. It does this every time! My pass lock light on the dash is constantly FLASHING. This all started happening a few months ago when I let my friend drive the car and the battery just died, I replaced the battery Did I completely mess it up and is there anyway to stop the flashing and clicking? It is driving me crazy. I have to turn my headlights on during the day so people will not think I stole the car. Is this my passlock? I can start my car every time and the passlock light is FLASHING not staying on constantly. Can I expect my car to stop starting any day? We tried to cut the yellow wire attached to the ignition but it didn’t do any thing because I can start it every time so I doubt it is my ignition/ignition sensor. Please help I don’t have the money or want to spend it on a dealer fixing it. I keep reading about installing a remote start to bypass the passlock but my car STARTS. What do I do?
    :) It seems strange to reply to my own message, but I got the solution to my electrical problem, thanks to the combined info at this sight. I had to replace my battery first and then I replaced the combination switch which solved all of my electrical problems. I'm 63, female, and slightly mechanically inclined and I changed it myself by a few pictures and confusing instructions in a manual. :surprise: The only difficult part was the screw that hold the switch in place that is behind the steering wheel. Dumb GM would do something like that. I just used and allen wrench to get to it. The wet floor has also been fixed thanks to this sight. Now if I could just get the motor mounts fixed :confuse: :confuse:
    Thanks a million,
    Barb (by the way, barbs toy 99 is my little BMW convertible and not the Pontiac)