Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 What would you improve?

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Mazda

Comments

• wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    First off; add Seat Memory, Ipod Integration & rear vent ducts for the A/C!

Anyone else?

Copper Red - Black Interior - Sirus Upgrade For Howard Stern - Lojack for the Murano owner who keeps staring as I pass him on the hiway :shades:
  • zoom49zoom49 Member Posts: 76
    First off; add Seat Memory, Ipod Integration & rear vent ducts for the A/C! Ditto!

Also Lighted Vanity Mirrors and light for door locks.

Icy blue GT FWD LA Calif
    Would be nice to have a "low fluid" indicator light for the windshield washer!
    It's 2006, I thought EVERY car had that one! :P
  • nycdragonnycdragon Member Posts: 14
    - exterior temperature display for Sport Model
    - Cubholder in rear door side
    - V6 engine with 87 gas
  • aussiedawgaussiedawg Member Posts: 9
    Trip computer - MPG, miles to empty, etc.
  • honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    Yeah, I'll echo the whole trip computer thing.
  • mbrcx7mbrcx7 Member Posts: 2
    power liftgate & panoramic roof
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Does the Cx-7 carry tilt/telescoping steering wheel?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    CX7 has tilt steering, but no telescoping. Saw your other post. You may want to go to www.mazdausa.com and download their .pdf file that describes all of their features for the CX-7.

Vince.
  • exigentexigent Member Posts: 2
    I would allow the front passenger seat to fold forward to allow for longer cargo. I would add lighted vanity mirrors. A removable trash compartment within the oversized center console would be a plus. Rear AC vents. Clips in the cargo hold to allow for UPRIGHT cargo nets for Milk, Juice, etc when grocery getting.

Thats all I can think of for now.
    SIRIUS works flawlessly and is well integrated with Nav. System. My only gripe is the cheapo antenna that they stuck onto the roof. Similar to the mini magnetic vehicle antenna that's offered with after-market kits from SIRIUS. It's a one inch square, squat device with a wire trailing from the antenna and snakes underneath the roofline, through the rear hatch.

Seems to me they could have opted for a color-coordinated and integrated antenna that blends into the roof, similar to what you see on Beemers, MBs, Audi's and the like.

Vince.
    I agree with the Sirius Antenna... surely they could have dug up a little paint for that thing! Plus, does anyone else's ant appear to be GLUED on?!?!
    yes, mine's glued on. Don't think the glue will weaken with age.

The after-market kits come with magnetic antennas, so if you install yourself, you can place the antenna where you want and if necessary, reposition it. I have a similar set up with my Santa Fe, Eclipse AVN 2454, XM Radio, except the installer glued mine on, at my request. It's been there for 2 years and hasn't budged.

So I'm confident the one on the CX-7 will stay put.

Vince.
  • rider451rider451 Member Posts: 1
    Bluetooth! I can't believe with a sophisticated tech package like this they didn't incorporate a handsfree phone system into it.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Low windshield washer fluid light - the Owner's Manual shows that "some models" have one. No idea if it's just the GTs, or part of the Tech package, or what.
    I have the GT model and it ain't on this one! My VIN is 044 so that might be it... :mad:
  • jessterjesster Member Posts: 5
    Bought SIRIUS with my GT but have not gotten it installed yet and now am a little nervous about the look reading your post. Are there other options for the antenna placement such as inside? Maybe I don't hate normal radio that much after all.
    Perhaps my comments made it appear worse than it really is. The antenna is only 1 inch square and about 1/2 inch high, so it's really unobtrusive. I was simply stating that Mazda could've gone the "extra mile" and make it color-coordinated or something like that. Other than that, I'm extremely pleased with how MAZDA integrated SIRIUS into the head unit. All the functions (SAT, CD, NAV, FM/AM) are tightly ingegrated (most controls are touch screen. Readouts also appear in the upper level of the dash board. BTW, in my humble opinion satellite radio far superior to FM! No commercials and uninteruppted reception, no matter where you are (exception: tunnels and passing under tree covered highways, where the canopy covers the road).

I pre-ordered SIRIUS as a factory option, so I'm guessing customers have no choice in placement. If you're getting installed at the dealership, you might call them and inquire.

Vince.
  • speedsecspeedsec Member Posts: 9
    When my right leg is on the accelerator, my knee rests against the center console. The center console is not padded, and while the edge is not exactly sharp, neither is it sufficiently rounded. Maybe other people don't have this problem, but I'm 6 feet 1 inch, and on long trips I have to put a shirt or something soft there to keep it comfortable. The center console should have some sort of padding, or at least be more ergonomically designed so that the leg has a comfortable place to rest on a tapered center console.

I would strongly agree on the need for bluetooth and an Ipod adaptor. Furthermore, the Ipod adapter should be able to interface with the screens on the dash board--even on the Sport model.

Finally, I find the compartment in the center console to be too deep. Maybe it needs a larger tray that sits in the top but can lift out to reveal the lower chamber. Way to much stuff can get lost in that cavernous space.
  • pctechpctech Member Posts: 43
    YES!! to all of the above, especially the console "cleaver"! :(
  • taz6taz6 Member Posts: 19
    Living up here in the great Northeast and it is starting to get cold outside( high 50F day/low 30F night). My CX-7 AWD GT is very slow to heat up. Both the gauge and the blower are cold for more than 15 minutes on first start. Strangely even if the vehicles sits for 6 hours after driving the engine is still very warm and blows good heat.

Anyone else?
    Temps here in northern VA dropped to the high 30's, low 40's overnight. My AWD GT warmed up quickly this morning, within 2-3 mins. You might try increasing the cabin temp to 80 degrees or so, and see if warm air starts coming out.

Otherwise, you may need to take the vehicle in for an inspection.

Vince.
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Not everyone has an iPod, so just an Auxiliary jack like the Impalas and most Chrysler vehicles have so that you can just plug in your mp3 player.

Better gas mileage for sure.

From what I'm hearing, more powerful A/C (I'm in Florida).

Honestly, that's it. When I look at other models out there and see what they do and do not include, I think that for what you're paying with the CX-7 and for what you can get for around 30K, you make out REALLY well. No car is perfect, but this has a really nice package to it which is what drew me to this vehicle. Haven't purchased mine yet, but trust me, it's on my list of things to do once I'm settled in my townhouse and I can stop traveling for work.
    For the money spent, Mazda skimped on the interior: cheap carpeting, exposed welds around the door panels, rivets holding the door seals to the door frame, exposed bolts that hold the front seats to the floor, etc.

Vince
    Temp gauge said 42F when I went to work this morning, and heated seats, gauge, and HVAC air were all warm within 5 minutes of suburban driving. In your case, it sounds like it is either a real problem or a setting on the A/C...
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    In the CX-7, moving the shift lever forward shifts to a lower gear, pulling it back, to a higher gear.

This is the opposite of what I expect, and seems at odds with other manufacturers, and learned intuitiveness.

The Lincoln LS, Toyotas, and most others I suspect, are the opposite. Also, every non-sport floor shift automatic transmission I'm aware of requires rearward movement to select a lower gear.

If there's logic or intuitiveness in Mazda's sport shift, I'd like to understand it.
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    Only to say they are different! As funny as it sounds, but true.
    Forward/downshift, rearward/upshift is the shift action for race cars (at least for the ones that haven't moved on to paddle-shifters).

I can't tell you why other manufacturers chose not to follow the racing precedent, but it's always been intuitive to me, even though I am not a race car driver.

My theory is that forward/downshift and rearward/upshift make sense because that is the way your body intertia is moving as you normally do those actions (i.e., you are decelerating/moving forward when you are braking, and that is when you often need to downshift).

The shifters that go side to side for manumatic shifting are the ones that REALLY don't make sense to me. Lateral movement has nothing at all to do with gear changes...

Well, maybe my inertia theory is bunk, but I'd rather my CX-7 be associated with CART racers than Lincolns any day... ;)
    Aha! I wasn't aware of the race car shift action. At least Mazda has made it intuitive for customers who have driven CART vehicles.

I know that you're not alone in considering Mazda's choice as a good one. Some Lincoln LS owners have reversed the action on their cars.

I still have a problem with it, and consider it counter-intuitive. As I mentioned in my earlier post, all floor-mounted (non sport-shift) auto transmission shifters require a pulling motion for downshift. This is consistent with even column-mount auto transmission shift levers.

When I get my CX-9, I may have to condition myself with the help of your inertia analogy. Or, and I hope this is relatively easy to do, reverse the wiring on the shifter.

By the way, the Lincoln LS bears no resemblance to the Town Car, Continental, or anything else Lincoln has ever produced. After owning two of them, I assure you that the LS is a driver's car.
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    As yet, no one seems to be able to answer the question of why can't we upgrade the engine specs to that of the "Speed6".

Same engine, but more HP and Torque. Any hints or suggestions?

NMK
  • portly_gnomeportly_gnome Member Posts: 15
    The speedometer needs better graduation.

Better MPG - mine gets 16-20 Hwy, with the 20 at 65mph.

The Sirius (now that it works again) antenna needs to be relocated... maybe integrated with the regular antenna.

I was told that the Bose stereo would play MP3 files. It doesn't. That should be standard in any CD player they offer.

An AUX jack should be standard.

The center armrest IS way too deep. A pull-out tray would be nice, as well as convenient for hiding things underneath.

A sunglasses holder.

Flex-Fuel would be good.

Some sort of plastic grocery bag containment system.

Trunk/rear hatch release from the key fob.

Hmm... that's it for improvements. Even with all these missing features I still love it. Even though the center armrest broke, I was told it played MP3s and it doesn't, the dealer lost the spare key and the new one came in broken and is now on back order, the remote start stopped working and is also on back order with no delivery date, the auto window roll-down function from the key fob stopped working, the windows sometimes automatically roll back down half-way when you try to roll them up and the gas mileage hits the in town estimate of 17mpg, but hits 16mpg on the highway at 65mph.

But like I said, for some reason, I still love this car.
  • honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=artic- le&sid=44170

Blurring the lines between a sport-utility vehicle and a sports car, at the Specialty Equipment Market Association’s (SEMA) annual show here, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today unveiled a more powerful, more aggressive CX-7 SUV, code-named Adrenaline. Designed and built by Mazda Design North America in Irvine, Calif., Adrenaline is a truly high-performance sport-crossover vehicle designed to promote the essence of all Mazdas, best described as the “Emotion of Motion.”

Based on the all-new Mazda CX-7, Adrenaline is a fully running prototype that showcases Mazda’s commitment to performance. “Adrenaline is athletically inspired for people who demand a car that is as lean and fit as they are and represents their passions, yet doesn’t sacrifice in hauling those passions around,” said Franz von Holzhausen, design director, MNAO. “Adrenaline is tuned like an avid cyclist, and delivers on the promise.”

To give Mazda’s latest crossover SUV a true sports car feel, Mazda engineers converted the CX-7’s stock six-speed automatic transmission to a six-speed manual, and, as CX-7 shares its driveline with MAZDASPEED6, they naturally chose to use the same transmission found in the MAZDASPEED6.With the help of rallyist and drifter Rhys Millen and his team in Huntington Beach, Calif., Adrenaline pushes out more than 300 horsepower, thanks to a re-tuned engine with a modified intake system, header with a free-flow exhaust and more boost from the re-plumped turbo. Other performance enhancements include a remote oil cooler and repositioned intercooler located opposite the oil cooler in the front fascia.

A wider, lower stance and a bold new face give the all-wheel-drive Adrenaline an aggressive and firmly planted sporty stance. Unique design cues include new front and rear exterior styling, a clam shell front clip, wrap around rear spoiler and an innovative rear glass design. New fenders and doors give Adrenaline a three-inch wider overall stance. Wheel wells are filled out through the fitment of 22-inch EXE wheels with a greater-than-stock offset and 285/35-R22 Yokohama tires, providing an aggressive look and sure on-the-road ride and handling.

Re-trimmed to suit an avid cyclist, Adrenaline’s interior includes a leather-wrapped instrument panel, a center console-integrated iPOD and sporty, laser-etched front and rear bucket seats. An integrated bike rack runs down the spine of the roof, while clear moon -roof panels run from header to spoiler, adding to the feeling of space in the interior. Removable DVD systems from Visteon are integrated into the interior roof panel.

Inspired by the yellow jerseys worn by bicyclists to signify stage and overall winners, Mazda designers chose gradating yellow paint theme, which gives the impression of the vehicle punching through the atmosphere. It is bright, bold and sporty.

Guaranteed to turn heads at SEMA, Adrenaline delivers on the promise of Zoom-Zoom and adroitly crosses the line between an SUV and a sports car – more practical, but just as much fun.

2007 Mazda CX-7

Launched in May, 2006, the 2007 CX-7 is a highly styled crossover SUV with a decided soul of a sportscar. Produced entirely on Mazda-derived platform architecture, the five-passenger CX-7 embodies an astute blend of sports car verve and SUV practicality, resulting in a fun-to-drive SUV that represents everything a Mazda SUV should be.

Prominent front fenders, A-pillars rooted at the body’s leading edge, a sharply raked windshield and Mazda’s signature five-pointed grille clearly register this new model as a Mazda. CX-7 is fitted with a turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four-cylinder direct- injection gasoline engine similar to that fitted to the MAZDASPEED3 and MAZDASPEED6 but producing 244 horsepower in this application. Mazda CX-7 delivers an estimated 23 mpg in combined driving.

Inside, the CX-7 is sporty with a high degree of craftsmanship. To draw drivers inside, there’s a three-dial instrument cluster, a console supporting the shifter within close reach, three-spoke steering wheel and firmly contoured front bucket seats, all provided with a high quality feel.
  • rex10rex10 Member Posts: 24
    Just got my CX-7 Touring Galaxy Gray. I found these forums really helpful so I thought I'd post my 2 cents on things to improve.

First of all- make the stereo play MP3's. This seems like such a trivial feature to implement. The $99 Clarion in my old car played them, so what gives? I almost didn't buy the car for that reason alone. I did discover that the unit reads CD/RW media, which means I can keep re-using the same 6 disks over and over again, so it's not as bad as I thought.

Next - on the colors, it seems that they could introduce a couple of new colors like a steel blue as seen on the 6 or the greenish blue that's on the RX-8. They could get rid of one of the silver/gray selections because liquid platinum and true silver are very similar. Just my opinion.

I did notice warm air coming from the vents while set to the coldest setting - some sort of design issue with the routing of the fresh air intake perhaps? This was mentioned in one of the topics here. Something is heating up the cabin air other than the climate control.

Upgrade the carpet and headliner material.

I have yet to see what kind of gas mileage I get, but if I really wanted good mileage I would have just chosen the CR-V.

I'm planning on getting the Ipod kit so I will post on how that works in the next couple of weeks.

Happy motoring!
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    Ah, at last, an answer to a maidens prayer; so says my wife.

So where can I sign up for one?

NMK aka Darth Vader Galaxy Grey AWD GT with Nav. reporting from New Zealand where they are anxiously awaiting the first CX-7
    Check out the Consumer Reports coverage of SEMA.

http://onlocation.consumerreports.org/sema/2-Model.asp?ID=274

Vince.
  • barmstrbarmstr Member Posts: 4
    My old Chrysler has a switch that allows you to set the seat position and it remembers it. this allows you to set two positions. With two people driving the car, this would be handy.

How about two heat positions for the seats.

It's a great car. My wife won't let me drive it as it is her car and I can have the old Chrysler. I miss my truck. :)
    My understanding is that the seat heat is thermostatically controlled and tied to the AC system... So it pretends to be smarter than us and kindof does things on its own.

I've had no problems with it - but my VW has 5 settings on the seats, which is nice, too.
  • rethwilmrethwilm Member Posts: 24
    Vince, do you know what is entailed in installing the aftermarket Sirius in my CX-7? According to the dealer, the whole radio must be removed. I was told by the salesperson that since it is "pre-wiered" that it would be as simple as putting the receiver in pre-determined space and run the antennae wire. Also, does the satellite antennae have to be a certain distance from the existing?
    After having mine installed on my CX 7 in June, and having a Navi system as well, I can tell you that it does indeed need to be removed {the stereo head unit} to install your Sirius unit.
    It will take them about two hours to complete the installation. You can pretty much request where you want the ant. to go, but remember that once it's put on, you won't be able to adjust it, its glued on. The unit is NOT pre-wired for sat., but I would rather have the dealer take the time and do it right, rather than some guy who works for an auto-sound shop or store go under that dash and screw up something that they can't fix!

You're gonna love Sirius! ;)
    You didn't mention which type or brand of aftermarket unit.

wjbushsr used Mazda components to upgrade. So if you're going that route, that would be the least messy.

On the other hand, you can go to Best Buy, etc, and buy those dash mounted units that uses an FM modulator to output the signal to your head unit. The advantage is that you can move that unit to different cars or the house. The disadvantage is that you have a "thing" stuck to your dash...Not too attractive in my opinion.

As for the antenna, you have lots of flexibility. The only requirement is that it has to have an unimpeded view of the sky. So if you stuck the antenna right next to the Mazda antenna, the Mazda antenna might block the SAT signal, depending on which was the car is oriented.

Speaking of blocked signals. You'll loose the signal completely in parking garages, tunnels, heavy canopy of trees over the road, sometimes in cities where there are very tall buildings, etc.

Vince.
    "The disadvantage is that you have a "thing" stuck to your dash..."

With FM modulators, even hard-wired ones, sound quality suffers as well. Besides the great programming, one of the things that attracts me to SAT is that it's digital quality and less compressed than FM. None of the FM-based Sirius or iPod installations I've ever heard sounded much better than radio. Compare that to your CD player, and the difference can be disappointing.

Still, a lot of people go that route, and there's no arguing that it's easy to do.
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    "As for the antenna, you have lots of flexibility. The only requirement is that it has to have an unimpeded view of the sky. So if you stuck the antenna right next to the Mazda antenna, the Mazda antenna might block the SAT signal, depending on which was the car is oriented."

No offense, but that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. I have had a satellite antenna installed on my Toyota Matrix, next to the stock antenna (similar position to the CX-7) for nearly two years and never had a problem of the little tiny stock antenna interfering with the signal. It would NOT be a problem on the CX-7 to have it rear mounted near. That is where mine IS mounted on the CX-7 (about 6 inches to the right and about 3 inches from where the wire comes out the top of the hatch.

Also - in reply to not being able to remove it once it's put on -- that's also not true. When I picked up my car from the dealer they had mounted the satellite antenna in the front, over near the top of the windshield above the passenger door. I took it back to the audio place that did the install and had them move it. It was not an issue at all. It's merely mounted with double-sided tape.
    What I'd improve about the CX-7 (now that I've owned one for a little over a week).

Seat Memory would be cool (but luckily, in my family, not necessary).

iPod integration (without losing satellite)

Power passenger seat.

Offer option for rear heated seats (my poor kids, LOL)

Better delay on automatic headlights (I find the auto lights kick in too quickly when I go under overpasses or into shady areas).

Offer live traffic reporting on navigation system.

A few more radio controls on the steering wheel... like a mute button (with nav system it's a "speak" button -- I still need mute!)... or an antenuate button. Oh yeah, and how about a pause button somewhere for CD!? I feel like I'm always turning the volume down and it's annoying. Mute and Pause would help a LOT.

Did I mention iPod integration (without losing satellite)
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    "Mute and Pause would help a LOT. "
    Just between you and me, turn OFF / turn ON, achieves both.
    Um, yeah, while it achieves it, it's also a lot slower to recover. Mute and pause are things you can almost instantly recover from. Off then on, not so much.

Not to mention, there isn't a power button on the steering wheel, and reaching across isn't exactly convenient from a driving position.

It would be nice if you had the voice-feature disabled the voice button would become a mute button (on systems with nav).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard

It's not an entirely ridiculous notion. However, it is easy to overlook the facts that the propagating signal usually takes several paths to reach the antennae (reflections off distant structures or the vehicle) and the blocking antenna will itself reradiate signal (in all directions) as well as diffract it. Nor will the blocking antenna precisely match the receiving antenna in both size and orientation meaning that some signal will arrive unimpeded. I think we can give vbbuilt a pass on overlooking these factors.

tidester, host
    Good show tidester.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    I had as a loaner a loaded CX-7. Only a few complaints that I will mention, but I have more:

Navigation: Software is poor. They need to get another supplier or have it updated. Even with the preferences loaded, in virtually every situation crazy and long routes were given. Even a $20 program like Microsoft Streets and Trips does a heckuva lot better in terms of directions. Overall, the user interface needs improvement. I would NOT spend the money for this option, instead by a TomTom or Garmin Nuvi or similar high-end GPS for a $500 or less.

Heated Seats: Should be able to be adjusted for more or less heat

Speakers: Side speakers should be standard

Fuel: Premium? Get out of town. Diesel maybe, but not premium. And forget turbo, that's not necessary. The intercooler will like fail after warranty and that spells big bucks
  • rethwilmrethwilm Member Posts: 24
    I was going to use the integrated unit Mazda sells. I do not want the portable unit. No need for it in the house. Of course my dealership is backordered oin them but have found a Mazda source out west that has them in stock. I bought my foglights there and they were Mazda orginal parts.

Thanks for all who chimed in.
    Speakers: I don't know about the non-Bose vehicles, but my CX-7 has speakers in all four doors. To me, that counts as "side."

Seats: I thought the heated seats were thermostatically controlled based on AC settings, etc. Mine have never done me wrong, but I can see how some might like a little more control.

Turbo: First of all, if this was to remain a 4-cylinder engine, a turbo sure as heck IS necessary. A non-turbo 4 in a vehicle this heavy would be a slug and unacceptable to many consumers, ESPECIALLY people who buy into "zoom-zoom." Nobody wants a CUV that handles like a Miata but can't safely get up to speed on a freeway onramp.

All an intercooler is is a radiator. No moving parts. I've never heard of one just "failing" but even if it did, the car would probably still be able to limp home.

As for diesels, I'd shop a CX-7 diesel in a minute. But guess what? It'd have a turbo and intercooler on it. Just about all modern diesels do these days.
This discussion has been closed.