Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge/Plymouth Neon: Real World MPG

kpelkeykpelkey Member Posts: 1
I have a 2004 Dodge Neon, it is well maintained and has about 37000 miles on it. I get an average of 28 mpg, and that is all highway. It doesn't matter if I'm going 70 mph, or 80, it is the same...crappy! I've taken it to the dealer, and they say that is the way the vehicle is. Does anyone else have any suggestion or similar stories, I'm wondering if it is like this will all 04' Neon R/T or just mine.

Comments

• Options
    tridurvitridurvi Member Posts: 4
    I drive a 2002 SXT and you are getting better MPG than I am, I am averaging 24 MPG. I wish that I could get better MPG myself. Can anyone help us?
  • Options
    okvolokvol Member Posts: 2
    Yes, this is the strip-basic model, manual tranny only.

I get 30 in town (never above 40mph, 4.5 miles one way to work), and 36 on the highway.

I found something interesting at that 2.0 engine - it likes higher RPM. Don't lug it, and you get better mileage. The speed limit in town is 25: I keep it in third, and take it easy on the pedal since it reacts so fast.

By the way, my mileage was worse in CA. Now I live in OK where the gas is not oxygenated.
  • Options
    learnlessonlearnlesson Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 Neon SXT. So far, I am getting 15 mpg in the city. Any ideas what could be wrong? I can't keep the car if I get this kind of mileage! I live in FL and the AC will be on for 11 out of 12 months!
  • Options
    oldgunrunneroldgunrunner Member Posts: 2
    I purchased an '05 Neon SXT for my wife about two years ago, she has been getting low 20's in town (with the AC running) and typically 34 mpg on the highway. I can only offer a few suggestions here that may or may not help. I know oil is not a glamorous subject but be sure you are using 5w20 (recommended in ours, I use Mobile 1 full synthetic) it will give better fuel economy, in addition to keeping the engine running for a long time. Tire inflation also helps, just remember the pressure indicated on the sidewall is the max psi with vehicle loaded. Typically 28 psi is about right (check with a trusted tire dealer) and have the alignment checked. Lastly, try a tune up, these great little cars seem to prefer new plugs every 10,000 - 20,000 miles, and they do great with the standard "cheap" plugs (AC, Champion etc), the expensive ones are best at emptying your wallet with no real benefit to the car. I try to change the plugs and wires at 10,000 mile intervals, it is a fairly cheap investment and can be done in the driveway by anyone in about 45 minutes. The air filter is another area to check, again, this is a part that is relatively cheap and easy to replace, if your care cant breath it wont run effeciently. Lastly, check the engine codes, if the O2 sensor needs replaced it could be affecting MPG by sending more fuel under the indication that the engine is still "cold", I hope these "tips" will help y'all with your particular MPG issues.
  • Options
    learnlessonlearnlesson Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. I didn't think about some of the things you mentioned. Guess I'll be buying some spark plugs this weekend. Thanks again!!
  • Options
    BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    PRETTY MUCH THE SAME FOR ALL NEONS NOT JUST SRT'S, THE BEST WAY TO HELP THIS ISSUE IS LIGHTEN UP THE DRAG ON THE ENGINE SO IT HAS MORE POWER, THE MORE POWER THE LESS YOU HAVE TO PUSH THE PEDAL, I KNOW OF WHAT I DID TO MY 97 TO HELP IT OUT.

1. AFTER MARKET PULLEYS, LIGHTER AND SMALLER, WHICH HELPS THE ENGINE A WHOLE LOT,

2. LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWEEL. THE STOCK ONE WAY I BELIEVE ANY WERE FROM 15 TO 16 POUNDS, MY GUESS, AND AN AFTER MARKET ONE MADE OF ALUMINUM IS APROX HALF, 7 TO 8.

THE LESS DRAG ON YOUR ENGINE THE MORE POWER YOU HAVE SO NO NEED FOR MORE PEDAL, WHICH IS LESS GAS USED BETTER MILAGE.

EXAMPLE, I PUT UNDERLINE PULLEYS ALONE ON MINE AND WENT FROM 26-28 TO 30-32, AND I TAKE OFF AT 60 AND STOP AT 60. THE PULLEYS' EASY, FLYWHEEL NOT SO EASY, BUT CHEAP POWER MODS AND BETTER MILAGE,

ALSO I CHANGED MY THROTTLE BODY TO AN AFTER MARKET ONE AND THE RESPONSE IS SO MUCH BETTER AND SMOOTHER.

WWW.MODERNPERFORMANCE.COM OUT OF HOUSTON, TX. THEY ARE WHO I GOT THESE THINGS AND IDEAS FROM OTHER NEON OWNERS, CHECK THEM OUT READ THE REVIEWS I WAS SOLD ON IT. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU SOME.

AND NO I HAVE NOT DONE THE FLYWHEEL YET, BUT I DID GAIN MORE POWER AND MILAGE PER GALLON WITH THE PULLEYS AND THROTTLE BODY. AND OTHER BOLT ON MODS, NO TURBO, WENT FROM STOCK 121 HORSE TO 243 HORSE AND AVERAGE 30.5 MPG.
  • Options
    BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    YES I AGREE STONGLY ON THE OIL ESPECIALLY, NEVER CHANGE THE WEIGHT ON THE FRONT OF THE RECOMMENDED OIL LIKE 5W20 YOU CAN GO 5W10, 30, 40 ETC, BUT WHEN YOU CHANGE THE FIRST WEIGHT THE 5 RTO 10, 15, OR 20 YOU TAKE THE CHANCE OF DAMAGEING YOUR ENGINE, THE FIRST PART THE 5 IS THE WEIGHT DESIGNED FOR YOUR OIL PORTS THAT LEAD TO YOUR HEAD, ENGINE ETC YOU ENCREASE IT AND THE OIL WONT FLOW THROUGH THE PORTS, TO HEAVY, AND WILL EVENTUALLY CAUSE DAMAGE TO WHAT I THINK IS A VERY GOOD ENGINE, AND AS FAR AS THE HIGH REVS, I ALSO BELIEVE THIS TO BE TRUE, THEY CAN TAKE IT, JUST NOT OVER 7000 RPMS UNLESS YOUR NOT STOCK, TAKE CARE OF THEM AND THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU.
  • Options
    hellcat1988hellcat1988 Member Posts: 15
    The weight ratio of oil is actually a thermal rating. It has to do with the flow rate at temperatures. The first weight is what it would flow at when it's warm. The second is what it will flow at when cold. Changing the weight should only be done if you notice a lubrication problem in the car.
  • Options
    bobsanidiotbobsanidiot Member Posts: 4
    i drive a 95 neon highline single overhead cam, manual tranny, its completely stock nothing has been modded yet, since i'm in college and don't have the money for it. it has 146500 miles on it and i get 45mpg on the highway at 75mph almost 50 at 70mph and 28 at 100mph in town i get around 30. i don't know why i get so much better gas millage than you guys. i do change my oil every 5k miles and i use 5w-30 oil.
  • Options
    abarguyabarguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Neon R/T with about 130K miles on it. I always use a good synthetic 5w-30 oil and keep the tire pressure up. I typically get mid to high 20's in the city and over 38 on the highway. When I got the car, I didn't like how high the RPM's were on the highway; 3000k at 65mph, so I changed out the trans to one from an SXT. Now my RPM's are at about 2400K at 65mph and my mileage is in the low 40's. With 20% less RPM's, I'm betting that alone added at least 15% to my mileage! My last trip was 42.7 and was all highway. I try to keep my tire pressures at what is on the sidewall rather than what is on the sticker in the door; so much less drag you can actually feel the difference.
    ">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3938661/2003-dodge-neon-r-t-sedan-4d
  • Options
    abarguyabarguy Member Posts: 2
    So, you put on 1 underdrive pulley and a larger throttle body and went from 121 horse to 243 horse. I want that pulley and TB! LOL!

An underdrive pulley might give you from 4-7 HP increase, but only at the high RPM's. Modernperformance.com sells larger throttle bodies than stock that will give better throttle response because it lets more air in with less pedal travel. So it fools you! But it, too, could give more HP at only the high RPM's if your fuel system can deliver more fuel as well. Let's say maybe 10-12 more HP tops!

I love bench racers!