Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Test Drive - What Do You Think?

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Have you taken a Prius for a test drive? This is the place to post your thoughts on your experience. Tell us what impressed you, or what left you wanting more.

Comments

• gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    After reading all the ravings about the Prius, I had to drive one for myself. I made a quick call to our local Toyota dealer and 45 minutes later, we were test driving the Prius. I must say, it was a weird experience not feeling the engine running all the time. The demo Prius we drove was a 2004 model. I was surprised at how much room it had inside for both passenger seating and cargo room. The Prius had no problem cruising on the highway at 70+ mph. There were only two "negatives" I experienced which leads me to my questions.

1) This car had trouble gaining any speed from a stopped position. It was fine after it picked up speed, but I would be afraid to pull out into busy traffic with it. Are they all this way, or could there have been something wrong with our demo model?

2) I kept hearing a high pitched noise from the rear of the car. This would become very annoying on a long trip.

In all fairness, this was an '04 model, but I would hate to order one only to find out these two problems exist on the newer ones as well. I would appreciate any feedback from current owners regarding these or any other issues with the Prius.

Thanks...!
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    The acceleration is very deceiving as there is NO shift shock. If you look at the speedometer you'd be surprised at how much it picks up speed. Since it was a demo did you check the state of charge of the battery? If it was low, you will not have full acceleration.

Can't help you on the noise issue. Of all the 2nd gen Prius I've driven, I have never heard such a noise. My advice is to rent one for the weekend. A test drive for 10-15 minutes is not enough for any car.
    I'm not sure how charged the batteries were. This thing made lots of noise on takeoff, but it just didn't move very well at first. I'll see if I can test drive one at another dealer and compare the two. There were so many indicators to look at, it was hard to check them all out and drive at the same time. I guess in time, one would become used to them. I did like the layout of the instrument cluster. It was strange not turning a key to "start" the car. I've never seen a car with a power button until now. The Prius is a neat little car. I'm not sure I want to buy one just yet, but I think Toyota is on the right path.
    Check out the new Honda Civic hybrid. A real improvement over the recent model and it is a VERY handsome looking car. Much more conventional looking than the Prius. If fuel economy and basic transportation is your goal, have a look at the newly designed Toyota Echo. It's a very light car and bare basics but very reliable.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    If I may what type of vehicle do you normally drive? Is it a GMC truck?. If so you probably drive a V8 or at min a V6. 4c cars are MUCH noisier than V6's or V8's. The high pitched whine you heard was most likely the 1.5L engine. What is different is that the Prius uses the electric motor to give you instantaneous acceleration which is normally much quicker than other 4c or 6c cars.

If you are used to the massive torque feeling of a big truck when you stomp on it to get into traffic the Prius will seem to lack.. but most 4c cars are also in this situation.

kdhspyder
  • jonnycat26jonnycat26 Member Posts: 101
    I would appreciate any feedback from current owners regarding these or any other issues with the Prius.

The car is a great commuter car that can haul stuff. But it does have limitations. The noise, as you noticed, is pretty bad. On the highways, depending on the surface, it can be pretty intolerable. There is like no sound insulation on the car. It's also the only car I've owned where the acceleration totally varies. If the battery is green, it's actually pretty fast. Usually the battery is blue, which is 'mostly adequate'. If you go to a drive-thru on a hot day, and have the AC running, when you pull out the battery will be pink, and the car can barely get out of it's own way in this state. The lack of adjustable seats and a tilt steering wheel makes it somewhat hard to get uncomfortable.

But if you want a basic commuter car, and don't mind paying a lot more than a comprable car, the Prius isn't bad.
    I have a GMC truck, but my daily driver is a Pontiac Grand AM (V6) which will throw you back in the seat on takeoff. That being said however, the Prius didn't sound too good on initial takeoff. It just seemed to be having alot of trouble getting itself moving. Not a good feeling when pulling out into heavy traffic. The high pitch noise was coming from the rear of the car. I asked the salesman what the noise was, and he didn't know, but I think that car had a few problems since is was a demo car.
    Thanks for your feedback. I like to hear reports from people who actually own and drive the cars! :D
    You must have ultra sensative ears. I find the noise levels at highway speed quite comendable. Every car has sound insulation, including the Prius.
  • jonnycat26jonnycat26 Member Posts: 101
    You must have ultra sensative ears. I find the noise levels at highway speed quite comendable.

I think it was the car I came from. My old Jetta was tomb quiet on the highway. With the Prius, I can hear the road and wind. And if there is sound insulation, I don't think there's that much of it.
    Well... I have to say. I've been in many, many cars. I've owned quite a bunch of fancy cars as well. I would say that the Prius is very quiet on the highway compared to my Audi allroad. Perhaps it's because the Prius I drove had the Goodyear Tripletred tires on them. If I can have a normal conversation with my passenger at 70 mph, that to me means there is not too much road noise intruding in the cabin. I would suggest you sell your car while the market is hot and buy a more sensible car for your tastes.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Preaching to the choir, but...
    OK, I'm looking at the Prius because:
    1. It's a very efficient design, body wise.
    2. It's an electronic car and I'm an electronic tech.
    3. I like the looks.
    4. I currently own an SUV (Pathfinder) and a sports car (RX-7) and am getting tired of subsidizing the oil companies. Don't get me wrong, they both get pretty good mileage for what they are, it just doesn't come close to "economy car" status.

So on friday I took a Prius for a test drive. Salesman says "I'm pretty busy, here are the keys, here's how it works, have fun...see you in six months (wink)". Woh. Car sales have changed lately, or this is an exceptional dealer (latter I think - Toyota City in Wetaskiwin Alberta).

I was surprised with the power (acceleration). The gadgets are cool (speedo etc). I've got to read the owners manual so I can understand what the car was doing. The only frustrating part was I couldn't tell when the engine was running! I saw 6.5 l/100 km (not really good mileage), but I suppose that will change once it's broken in, and I'm not testing acceleration all the time.

This is a cool car! I'm now selling my RX-7 so I can justify buying another car! Any takers ;).
  • buckeyelarrybuckeyelarry Member Posts: 15
    I rented 2005 for a week - and have driven about 3 of the 2006 vehicles.

Power is similar to our Saturn LS1 (With 5 speed). The passenger room is spacious and comfortable.

The hatchback is convenient. Remember that the 16 cu ft is measured from the cargo floor to the roof.

Handling is a "soft" - not real crisp - creates a little uncertainity.

1 week of driving the rental resulted in 47 mpg, mostly at highway / interstate speeds and A/C running (temps in the upper 80's - low 90's) Total mileage about 600 miles. It was interesting how much flucuation in MPG with A/C and winds as low as 12 mph.

This spring drove a Prius that was considering purchasing - on I-70 in rain - wind, @ 75 mph felt twitchy. I decided to hold on purchase, in retrospect - I think the drive by wire steering gives different feel and car stable.

A little concerned about battery disposal costs when car is older (usually drive vehicle to 200K) and reliability of switching gear after 4-6 years of use.

Not purchased yet - considering currently with the $3,150 tax credit. Without credit, hard to justify the capital cost for the hybrid.
  • mwkomanmwkoman Member Posts: 1
    From 60 to 110 mph there is nothing like a Prius. People are amazed at the seamless, powerful, silent acceleration. The most quiet car I have ever owned (And I have owned some nice ones)I can only speak for my 05.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    I am considering a Prius purchase, and tonight drove 'them' for the first time. Both were package 2, one Standard, the other Touring.

The drives were brief, about 7 miles. I took the Standard out first, and drove a bit cautiously. I felt the ICE cut out a couple times, and overall felt good about the ride, noise levels, steering feel, etc. I was not autocrossing of course, but the car came across just fine.

With the Touring, I immediately noticed 'feedback' through the steering wheel, not the sort I was looking for. While not feeling like an out-of-balance condition, there was a definite sensation through the wheel that was not present on the Standard model. I was thinking perhaps the lower profile tires and the shock / spring differences were the cause. In addition, the engine was quite a bit more audible than in the Standard. That one made no sense to me, since the drivetrain is identical in both. I sure doubt Toyota opted to give the Touring a "sporty" sound. The ride was a bit harsher, with a trace of jiggling. I did not mind that, since I enjoy driving. It's just that the Standard model was much smoother.

For the brief identical drives, the Standard reported 44 mpg, while the Touring returned 40. I was probably driving the Touring a bit more briskly. The HID headlights were nice, but not as effective as those in my Mazda Tribute.

Does anyone out there with more time behind the wheel of both think what I experienced in the Touring is normal? Or might there be an issue with that particular car? The dealer does not have any other Tourings for me to try.
    The touring gets slightly lower mileage than the standard model. Always has in other countries. The ride is firmer, and noise level should be slightly higher with lower profile tires (tire sidewall transmits more road noise).

The plus you get with the touring is slightly better handling, particualrly in corners. You also have 16" tires, which should give more choises when tire replacement time comes around (15" tires are going out of favour, so aren't available in as many styles/sizes). Further, the OEM 16" tires are much better than the 15" Goodyear Integrities the standard model comes with.
  • dncbdncb Member Posts: 70
    My wife and I test drove a 2007 Prius yesterday and found a nice riding, nicely equipped (except for lack of quality sound system), reasonably quiet, reasonably comfortable (though not as much leg room as an HCH)extremely efficient car for everyday driving. One notable lack(and the only reason I found that I would not buy a Prius) for those who do their own home improvement and do not want to own two vehicles is the lack of towing ability of a small light utility trailer for hauling the long Home Depot items home like an HCH can do. (No one is talking about hauling heavy loads here, so please save the comments.) The techy info panel is great for most of the types who would be shooting for max mileage. One possible negative is that it is also used for the HVAC - requiring a button push just to get in the mode and more button pushing to change settings. I suppose most owners would get used to this and not find it a negative. An obvious advantage over the HCH is a split fold-down rear seat back -- something we are almost expecting as standard nowadays -- and where Honda puts the NiMH battery pack. If it weren't for the trailer hitch issue I'd trade my 23MPG V6 Sonata in a heartbeat.
    You can get a trailer hitch for the Prius, just not from Toyota. Be aware, the Prius can haul 14' lumber -inside- with the hatch closed. Check out http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm
    for the receiver hitch.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I bough it from Coastaletech.com and installed it myself.
    I use it mainly for a bike rack. Works fine.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Let it be said loud and clear...The Prius is favorably versatile and can carry a vast array of Home Depot goods to your domicile and lets not forget that there is a trailer hitch available that can handle minor loads easily. I speak with 57,000 miles plus and 3 1/2 yrs behind the wheel. I'm 62 yrs old and took the plunge way back when it may have seemed a bit of a risk. All is well with Prius owners and we continue to smile to and from gas stations. I especially like filling up next to Hummers w/ their 38 gal tanks that take nearly ten minutes to fill while I dump 8 plus gals in less than 1 minute. Seems that "smarts" is developing a new definition in this world of hybrids and gus-guzzlers.
  • maxtestmaxtest Member Posts: 1
    I recently rented a Prius for a day in Mesa, Arizona. Going uphill on I-17 at 75 mph the car was a little noisy as you would expect from a small car, but performance was good. Cruised through Jerome, Sedona, Flagstaff, etc. before heading in a round about fashion to Phoenix where I finished the trip on city streets avoiding freeways. The computer showed mpg's all over the map. Mpg's, without trying to conserve, for the day was 47. I like the car. The controls on the steering wheel were very convenient and the touch screen was easy to get used to. Its really cool driving through the neighborhood on electric power only. I'm tall and found the car reasonably comfortable. Its a great little car. I just haven't decided to part with the money. It is a bit pricey. Gas will have to hit $10 per gallon before you will save the price difference. Still, I like the car for its styling, comfort, efficiency, and lower emissions.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    I keep hearing "pricey" but the facts are that the car has great resale and with the extra extended warrantee on the hybrid system you really can't go wrong. About the ten buck gas... Say it gets over three bucks I think you'll see the interest in hybrids driven right back up again. I have a 3 1/2 yr old '04 Prius w/ 56 K miles and can't stop praising the car.
    I thought it was over $3 per US gal. in parts of California already. It's $0.99 Can. per litre here in Edmonton. That's the lowest in Can. I'm told (with "normal" discounts, I pay $0.97 per litre). Lets see (calculator comes out), that's very close to US $3 per US gal. I wouldn't be surprised to see US $3.50 per gal. this summer. Probably over $4.00 next year. I don't even want to talk about how much it is in Europe! You'd think it would be hard to keep Prius in stock, the way gas goes up in price. I guess people just have very poor memories.
  • carlstraubcarlstraub Member Posts: 50
    Hi,
    In Western Los Angeles County it is $3.25/gal for 87 Oct regular. It has been well over $3.00 for over a month.
    NOW the driving season begins. It'll probably stay well over $3.00 in this area at least through Summer--maybe permanently.
    That's one reason we bought 2 of the Cars.
    Carl
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I have driven a 2007 Prius at a dealer in Peoria Ill.I found the car very impressive.Normal acceleration was comparable to my 2006.5 KIA Optima, and the comfort level was even better.I didnt know that battery level would affect the power,so I cant comment on that,but overall my impression of the 2007 model was very positive.
    Reading the comments on this thread however will make me think twice before buying one.
    That is how you can tell what you really feel about this neat little car.
  • krawitzmailkrawitzmail Member Posts: 7
    I took the Prius for a test drive down a 30-40 MPH winding road, and found its handling predictable with no problems accelerating quickly from slow speeds.

However, I have heard of two issues that might dissuade me from purchasing this car, and I would like current Prius owners to comment on their own experiences.

1. Slow acceleration from 40 MPH to 65 MPH, i.e., accelerating to "highway speed."

2. Loss of traction in snow or gravel causes onboard computer to incorrectly think car is in idle and shut down electric power to steering wheel and brakes.

Thanks.

Paul
    Thats some interesting stuff.I sure hope that some owners can clear that up.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I know I'm responding to a post 10 days old, but . . . I respect those who purchase a hybrid. However, if you do the math, and compare overall cost of operation and ownership, including purchase price, over say - a 5 year period - there are other more cost-effective alternatives for a new car.

For example, a Corolla, Yaris, Civic, or Fit will be cheaper to operate over that term than a Prius. I'm not sure what the median purchase price is for a Prius, but with the other alternatives, one is already starting with a $8 to $10K advantage over a Prius in purchase price. You'd have to buy a lot of gas to make up for that initial price differential. There's more than the price of gasoline when it comes to calculating total cost of operation of a vehicle.
    My Prius is the best car I've ever owned.
    I live in the mountains of Colorado and have two problems.

1. It's not a 4WD so when heavy snow falls, I prefer to use my 4WD Subaru Outback if it's not being used by my wife. If she is using it, I use the Prius which has Blizak snow tires, and have never had a problem.

2. On long, straight, steep mountain passes, like on I-70 to Denver, the battery boost runs out after 5 minutes or so. You are then running only on the ICE gasoline engine which is about half the total power so you can't accelerate past 75-80 or keep up with trucks going that fast. It is worst in very cold weather, with deep snow on the road, and strong head winds. That "perfect storm" has happened to me only once in 3 years. Otherwise the car is fine. A larger engine or "bigger" battery would solve that problem but be less efficient the rest of the time. A turbo booster would probably be the perfect solution.
    Prius is a lot more than just a small car.It is very well equipped,comfortable and even has a certain status value which the ones mentioned do not.A comparably equipped Corolla for instance,would not be all that much cheaper.To get all the equipment standard on the Prius,you would need the very top of the line, and then you would not get the economy of a Prius.I have test driven a Civic and a Corolla, and neither ride as well as a Prius.For me,comfort does count.Someday,I hope to get one.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I agree with you on some of your points, but I'm not interested in the "upscale" options of the aforementioned alternative vehicles, and "status value" means absolutely nothing to me. In the USA, I know I'm in the distinct minority with that position.

Another cheaper alternative is a Camry LE. Certainly as comfortable, and 32 to 34MPG on the highway, and still cheaper if you watch the option list. The Prius is a great car, and a technological tour de force, but not something I would purchase. This is somewhat a paradox, as I'm an engineer, but one who believes in the K.I.S.S theory of design (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
    Well...if creature comfort doesn't matter,then you are correct.One of the Rio,or such type would do the job.Price wise the Prius cant compete with a $13 K car.Since my car cost pretty much the same as a Prius,the price would be a wash.
    "32-34"MPG...thats quite adequate,but the city mileage IMO doesn't approach what's on the sticker.My car is rated 24 cty,but I've gotten as low as 12.2 ,so to me thats where you really save with a hybrid,more than on the highway.Consumer Reports rates virtually all the cars of the size of a Camry,at real world mileage ,city,at around 15 MPG.I'm speaking of the 4 cylinder models now,not the sixes.
    BTW we have several friends who have Prius,and in both cases put well 100K miles on them with no problems,so I think the technology is getting quite mature.
    Since the discussion has gotten off track, I'll let you know that I like the idea of high mileage not just for a cost standpoint, but avoiding the inconvenience. And the rear seat leg room is much better than a Camry. I just want to be sure regarding highway acceleration (also mentioned in a post above) and battery turning off when wheels fail to maintain traction.

But since you raised it, I'd love a car for 13K for my teenage son that has a good safety record and predictable handling. Your suggestions are....?
    Hyundai Accent is under 11K at the base level.I would suggest a Hyundai Elantra though it costs a bit more.Its as roomy as my Optima and starts under 14K.There are many others that fit that price range,but the small cars are not as safe in case of accident,as the mid size such as Elantra.
    I hope the moderator doesn't yell at me about posting this on the Prius thread,but I'm just answering your question. :blush:
  • msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    I test drove the Prius twice - once in 2005 Aug, and again in 2007 March. Driving experiences are the same. In 2005, I rejected it outright because the dealer wanted a $6,000 mark up over MSRP (that's Toyota of Dallas) - trying to justify it with market conditions and tax breaks. I said "No thanks, I'll keep driving my Camry for a few more years" and left.

In 2007, they are not asking for mark ups. However, there is more road noise and engine noise compared to my 10yo Camry (4cyl). I still get mileage over 33 driving between Dallas and Houston averaging 75mph and 27-28 in the city. Going to 40/45 won't save me much on gas. The Prius also feels flimsy - like the hood/dash/fender - everything is made of cheap plastic to make the vehicle lightweight.

I remember - when I bought the Camry, the dealer asked me to lift the hood - "See, how heavy it is? This is how crumple zones work properly, and what saves you in a collision and gets the vehicle stability". The Prius dealer also told me to lift the hood - "See, how light it is? This is the new technology that helps with the great mileage". Now I don't know which is better, having a heavy hood or a light hood! :confuse:

It's great technology, the dials and gadgets are fun to look at, but I could get into an accident trying to look at the shift of power between different sources and not focusing on the road. Headroom, legroom, hip room, shoulder room - every room is more than sufficient for me. The start button and the 3" shifter on dash are unique, too. The dash has a futuristic look to it, too. The big digit display deep in the dash (speedometer) could be a distraction, and I think the display size for the other meters should be comparable (they are much smaller) so you dont have to squint. The rearview camera is a nice feature while backing up.

An aside (buying decisions are influenced by dealer reputation, too). A colleague of mine drove her Prius on a gravel road, and something went wrong with the suspension, within the warranty period. The dealer wouldn't recognize the problem, and she had a hard time with Toyota Customer Service to get the problem fixed. She will not recommend that dealership to anybody. Now we drive 12 more miles to the next dealership. :mad:

I wish some of the more popular, resale-able and reliable cars (like Camry/Accord/Civic) offered the options of Xenon headlight and backup camera, features useful for driving, as opposed to sunroof, designer wheels and surround sound systems. If they did, I would not even consider the Prius.

Bottom line - If I spend that much money on options for creature comforts like leather seats, sunroof, Xenon headlamps, and not save substantially on gas, the Lexus ES would be a better upgrade for myself. :shades:
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I just test drove 3 cars (on a rainy day), and was not properly shown any of them, even with vehicles inside the showroom!

I'll guess which one has a heavy or light hood. I know more than the salesmen anywho. You know me! ;)

DrFill
  • pmanzapmanza Member Posts: 34
    Get a Hyundai Elantra if you want a new car for him. It has air bags all around and ABS brakes standard, as well as power windows and locks. The ad cars (around $11,500) are usually manual with no AC or radio, but there is a $2000 rebate right now, so you should be able to get a base GLS auto with pkg 3 (ac, radio, cruise, foglights) for around $14,000. We just bought one for my hubby to use as a commuter car and are very happy with it. If we could afford 2 car payments I would get one for my 16 yr old son also and dump the 14 mpg Explorer he is driving now, but gas is still cheaper than car payments plus higher insurance costs.

On that note: before you buy, check out what your car ins is going to be for a 16 yr old boy that has to have collision and comprehensive on it. You may quickly decide that an older car that you can pay for in full and carry liability only on is the way to go.

Good luck and best wishes
    Peggy
    On Long Island, insurance for a 17 year-old boy driving 5000 miles per year, with $500 deductible through GEICO costs $3500 for a jalopy having little value and $5000 for a brand new Honda Civic LX.

So the bulk of the costs are to cover the damage he could cause to other people and property.
  • pmanzapmanza Member Posts: 34
    YIKES!!! And I thought I had it bad here in Calif. I'm paying approx $1200/yr for liability only for my 16 yr old on a 95 Ford Explorer. They said it would be $3500/yr for full coverage ($500 ded) on a new Hyundai Elantra. But $5000!!!!!! Parents have to get a second job to pay for that.
    Peggy
    I would have to get a bicycle if my insurance was anywhere near that high.I carry full coverage with a $1000 deductible on my KIA and just liability on my 97 Chrysler .Thats for 300K,100K liability coverage.My premium for both cars last year? Under $500.
  • norskeymannorskeyman Member Posts: 8
    I believe the Prius is as "popular, resale-able and reliable" any of the other cars you mentioned. Probably even more so than those others. According to Consumer Reports, the Prius has the highest customer satisfaction of ANY car on the road. Yes, even higher than all other Toyota AND Lexus vehicles. :)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "However, I have heard of two issues that might dissuade me from purchasing this car, and I would like current Prius owners to comment on their own experiences.

1. Slow acceleration from 40 MPH to 65 MPH, i.e., accelerating to "highway speed."

2. Loss of traction in snow or gravel causes onboard computer to incorrectly think car is in idle and shut down electric power to steering wheel and brakes."

Can't speak to number 1.

Number 2 was a problem but was fixed in the 2007 model (as I recall - might have been the 2006). The problem was the traction control could not be disabled, and it was protecting the electric engine by shutting the car down instead of allowing a "rocking" technique.
    I have a 2004. 1. Acceleration is not just good but great at all speeds UNLESS the battery boost is depleted from 5-10 minutes of severe uphill driving like going over a mountain pass. It gets back to normal when you come down the other side and the battery has a chance to recharge.
    2. There was a software problem that sounds like what you describe. It got a lot of publicity, thanks to GM and Ford PR firms. The fix was already being implemented when the [non-permissible content removed] hit the fan. It never happened to me and my computer had been updated a few weeks before as part of a group of TSBs.
    "There was a software problem that sounds like what you describe. It got a lot of publicity, thanks to GM and Ford PR firms. The fix was already being implemented when the [non-permissible content removed] hit the fan."

I never saw it from a GM or Ford source. It was reported by someone on this site.
    The failure was never attributed to GM or Ford. It just got a lot of newspaper and TV coverage considering there were about a dozen reported incidents out of 200,000+ Prius' on the road at the time.
  • steve1csteve1c Member Posts: 3
    I've put about 60,000 miles on my 2004 Prius, and overall I like the way it accelerates and handles. Mostly desert and mountain pass driving, between Las Vegas and California. I get 45-50 mpg typically, depending on how much I have to run the lights and air conditioner or heater. About 50-50 city-hwy driving ratio. No problems maintaining 75 up & down the mountain grades or dealing with the crazy LA-Vegas friday afternoon free-for-all traffic on the I-15. :)

My squawks :( some annoying torque steer when cornering with heavy acceleration; crosswind gust sensitivity (it's a light vehicle, so not unexpected); and a recent (bad) experience with the 12V aux battery (details of which I will post in one of the other forums).
    Your original comment: "It got a lot of publicity, thanks to GM and Ford PR firms."

Hence, my clarification on the source of my information (not from the press).
  • chiplchipl Member Posts: 3
    Not sure of the rules on replying to VERY old posts, but always been interested in the Prius. Now at a point in my car ownership I decided to take one for a spin. The short of it.... I loved it! (Want to add I I have read many posts in the forums here on the Prius and loved the guidance.)

The ride was smooth to me on the short circuit in the Tysons Corner area of Virginia. Acceleration for the way I drive was up to par for my needs. More will be known when I rent one for the weekend perhaps.

The things I liked about my short time with the 2011 Prius was of course the MPG, dooh! The ride was very comfortable, maybe more so than my Subaru 2003 Baja - which was always nice on long trips. But it seemed smoother and of course quieter. The front cabin was comfortable, rear seat area seems it would work for trips with friends. What won me over is the trunk space.

Seems to be more than enough space for me and my better half for any road trips - without the need to fold down the rear seats. This has been a concern at times in my Baja and their Yaris in road trips. We never liked exposing our luggage. The benefit of the fold down seats will help in some cases with the potential loss of the bed of the Baja.

I am torn though - even as I plan on a rental of the Prius - just wish there was a car. Another factor as I look towards buying a new car is one that I don't want it to look too dated 7 to 10 years out. Along with reliability, so far the Baja and Prius fit the build. The Corolla doesn't stand the test of time IMO - nor does it ride.

In the end MPG may rule the heart over the mind...