Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• Hello, thanks for the great info on your Jeep. I do not yet own a Jeep, but I am looking into buying a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Your post caught my eye because I REALLY want to put a 3" lift and 33" tires on it. I know the gas mileage is all ready not the best. Could you tell me how the big tires and lift affected your mileage? I've read all I can about Jeep's MPG and don't think 18-20 MPG is so terrible. I'm afraid a lift and big tires will push it below what I'd like to go.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, have a great week.
  • I have an '06 Unlimited w/ 4" lift and 33's. I get about 14 mpg but have been told that I might get better mileage if I change the gear ratio to help move the larger tires (and heavier rims). PS...I love my Unlimited vs. a regular Wrangler because I can fit my St. Bernard in the back.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Keep in mind, if you regear and go with larger tires, you'll also need to verify or swap your speedometer gear to accurately reflect speed and mileage travelled.

I had 4.10 and 30's on my TJ. I went to 4.88 and 33's. Speed and mileage was the same and I didn't have to change the speedo gear. If you don't change it, it will give you an inaccurate reading of speed and mileage travelled/MPG.

-Paul
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    I own a stock 2007 Unlimited X 4x4 with 17,500 miles. It has the 6 spd manual, 17" wheels and the 4.10 gear ratio. On regular gas, I average 17 mpg city and 19.5 hwy. This is as good or better than some of my friend's luxury/performance cars, but their cars take premium! :)
  • 06 Unlimited Rubi 6spd stock - on recent trip tanks averaged between 18-22. One thing that made a huge difference was putting the tire pressure exactly at the specifications. When my tires are even a few (no more than 3) pounds low I lose about 2-3 mpg hwy. Also, in decent hills, I don't use cruise control... if I have luggage etc and the Jeep seems to struggle keeping speed, the accelerator just goes to the floor... instead I just maintain throttle position and let the speed scrub off 5 or so mph.
  • I put in a new dist/cap/rotor/wires my gas milage went down 6 MPG don't know what to do ?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    .........don't know what to do ?

Put the old ones back?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    You sure you ran the wires from the plugs to the right points on the cap? If you don't put em in in the correct order, you WILL have issues, the least of which is reduced MPG.

-Paul
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    The lift and 33" tires will reduce your gas mileage, but unless you re-gear, it will only be about 10% less. Go larger than 33's though and you will need to re-gear and then your mileage will suffer a 20%+ drop.
  • Odd no one has posted here since 2009?? Anyway, I just purchased a 2010 JK Rubicon 2 door, soft top, automatic with stock size BFG Mud TAs and 47K miles on it. After a 1500 mile trip, I averaged 19.7 to 20.5 MPG driving 65-70 MPH with the A/C for about half the trip. :D
2»