Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser Transmission Whine

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Transmission issues? Get answers here.

Comments

• Options
    worriedworried Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 TLC, and when it is 40 degrees or lower the transmission or alternator whines. The whine lasts for about 1 or 2 minutes and then goes away. I have shut everything down, to be sure it is not the heater or air conditioner.

I would appreciate any help on this issue. The dealer hears the noise, but says it is too minor to tear the car apart at this time.

Thanks,
    Worried
  • Options
    seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    Yep, mine does the same thing. Never thought much about it, just figured it takes a minute or so for the transfer case (or transmission) fluid to heat up and reach its optimum viscosity. Any of the more technical folks care to weigh in?
  • Options
    lccressidalccressida Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar whining problem 3 years ago in my Cressidas auto trans. I cured the whining by swapping out the auto for a 5spd :)

I used to have a 94 FZJ-80 that had a whining problem. I drained all the trans fluid out of it and put some Toyota type IV fluid. I then Started the rig and took off one of the trans fluid lines and let all the dark fluid drain out till all I can see was a nice red fluid. I made sure fluid level was right, and put everything back the way it was.

Transmission was very smooth, acceleration felt alot better, and the whining went away. I also highly recommend not to FLUSH the transmission. Flushing the transmission especially on high mileage ones will really make you regret it.
  • Options
    mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Next time it's lower than 40, either disconnect the alternator harness or pull the alternator field current fuse. When you start the truck, the alternator will spin, but not "turn on". If the "whine" still exists, it's not electrically related to the alternator. It could be a rotating mechanical alternator noise, but not alternator load related. This might help you to pinpoint the source.
  • Options
    rbpearson4rbpearson4 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 92 Cruiser and I've been experiencing a slight rev-up when the tranny shifts. Could changing the oil solve this problem, or do you think the tranny is starting to go out. There are other problems with the vehicle, so could it be one of those. Additionally, why would a tranny flush be bad?

Thanks
  • Options
    charlie378charlie378 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 LC in July 2006. It was a one owner with all services and well maintained. Lately I have noticed a whining noise when I am accelerating. Originally, the noise only came on when I was travelling at 70mph or faster. As of late it begins to whine around 30mph and continues as I accelerate. All fluids in the Transfer Case and Tranny are fine. The LC rides great and I am having no shifting problems. The dealer says I need a new tranny at the tune of 4k. I cannot justify that cost just yet. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it? Surely there is a lube out there to cure this noise without replacing the whole transmission? Holler back!
  • Options
    steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Have you considered a complete transmission flush and replacement with synthetic ATF?

I use Red Line, but other companies make the synthetic ATF. Might be worth a try to see if you get some symptomatic relief of the whine you mention here.
  • Options
    charlie378charlie378 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. Well everyone I talk to seems to think a transmission flush is a bad idea (at least for a healthy tranny). I have considered synt atf. A friend seems to think Lucas products are the way to go...transmission fluid or trans fixer. any thoughts?
  • Options
    Sorry to just get back on here. Wondering why folks are leary of the tranny flush? Is it the flush or replacement with syn fluid that concerns them?

I have red line in mine (and in TCase and F/R diffs as well)

HTH
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And are we talking fluid changes, flushes or power flushes too?

amigo_john, "Isuzu Trooper" #8070, 30 Jun 2003 7:46 am
  • Options
    I'm talking mainly about fluid changes that you DIY at home. As your linked post shows, power flushes can cause some harm--but one caveat is who and where they're done. Not sure of the whole story in your link, but a reasonable assumption to make, might be that a dealer rathe than an indy might know of potential problems relating to power flushes. That's a whole other topic though =)

An easy way to keep things clean (if you're starting out with a new vehicle) is to drian and fill the pan only every other oil change. Also, a cheap "flush" trick is to drain and fill the pan, then loosen the drain plug so that just a trickle of fluid comes out and start the car and add fresh fluid until you see the fluid color coming out of the pan matches the color of new fluid. I drip the fluid on to white paper towels to make sure the fluid coming out matches fresh fluid from the container. This is not a power flush, just a trick to get in a little cleaner fluid.

Again, as noted in your link, you need to know your particular vehicle. I've never had a tranny issue on any of my LCs using this method of fluid "cleaning" and changing.
This discussion has been closed.