Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Rabbit Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited May 2014 in Volkswagen
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Volkswagen Rabbit. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Prices Paid Forum

Comments

• legarlegar Member Posts: 71
    Car_man can you please post some leasing numbers for a Rabbit with the following options:

United Gray, Automatic Transmission, ESP, and 16 inch wheels
    for 36 months/12K

Total MSRP: $17,545

What kind of monthly payments would I be looking at if i only plan to put $1000 dollars out of pocket?

Thank you,
  • v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    you can try to contact a dealer, they will be "glad" to serve you. You can find dealers near you on www.vw.ca or www.vw.com

Cheers and hope you`ll find what you want. :)
  • legarlegar Member Posts: 71
    I want to know the money factor, residual, and any leasing programs before I go to a dealer.
  • v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    you don't have to actually go there. Just write an e-mail to that dealer and so on.
    In Canada a 5-door Rabbit with: convenience pack, alloy pack, ESP, rear side airbags, floor mats & freight it`s sold for 23.830 MSRP (that`s from a dealer)
    EFF. INTEREST RATE: 5.92%
    48MONTHS/80K --> $0 DOWN - $306+TAXES ($350 WITH TAXES)
    --> $2000 DOWN - $259+TAXES ($296 WITH TAXES)

ON ME: $1000 DOWN WILL TAKE YOU TO $330 WITH ALL TAXES, PROBABLY.
    AND RESIDUAL IS 57%
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    I'd be happy to help you out, legar. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2006 Rabbit 4-Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00312 and 56%, respectively. This car's lease payment will depend upon what sort of a discount you are given on it. Always remember that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. For now, I will work up a sample lease payment on this car, assuming a $500 discount. Let me know if you want me to use a different price. According to my calculations, a 36 month, 12,000 mile per year lease of a 2006 Volkswagen Rabbit 4-Door through VW Credit with an MSRP of $17,545 and a selling price of $17,045 would have a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $276. With this deal at lease signing you would have to pay your car's first month's payment, a security deposit of $300, VW Credit's $575 acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • madastlmadastl Member Posts: 1
    Car_man,

Do you have the money factors and residuals for both the 2007 Rabbit College Grad lease and the 2006 Rabbit Advertised lease?

I'm interested in the 4-Door Rabbit, 12k miles per year, 36 or 48 months -- for each program. I'm looking to lease this car by the EOW. Thank you for your help.

- Adam
    Greetings Adam. I don't know how Volkswagen's recent college grad program impacts it, but I can tell you what this car's current lease program is like. Volkswagen Credit's current 36 month buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2007 Rabbit 4-Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00312 and 60%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease of this car are .00332 and 52%. VW Credit's numbers for a 36 month lease of an otherwise identical 2007 model are .00312 and 56%. Its 48 month numbers are currently .00332 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jzero23jzero23 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man! I've been looking for 2-door Rabbits (manual, base model) lease. There is a 225$/Month program advertised on the VW website for the Rabbit I'm looking for but it ends tomorrow and the up-front costs are too high. Do you know what a lease would look like (monthly payment, residual, money factor) ?
    MSRP: 15,620
    36-Month Term
    12k annual miles
    good FICO if thats important

Thanks!
    Hi jzero23. I can tell you what this car's current lease program looks like, but it is only scheduled to run through the end of today. Please feel free to check back with me in a couple of days and I will be able to give you an idea of what this car's new October lease program is like. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Rabbit 2-Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00312 and 61%, respectively.

I would be happy to use the aforementioned lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be on this car, however in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its approximate selling price. You may be able to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for this car by visiting the following discussion: "Volkswagen Rabbit: Prices Paid and Buying Experiences".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • rovisionrovision Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car_man,

Please advise on a Rabbit, 2door/auto/, price $16950. 24m/10,000m/year, $0 down.
    Thanks in advance
  • jzero23jzero23 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, so I've found the car I was looking for (2-door, manual, bare model rabbit), and I'm going to move forward with the deal. However, I'm not sure if I should lease or finance. The dealer said he could meet the national ad (http://www.vw.com/rabbit/offers_incentives.html) (basically 203$/mo. with 2250 out the door [1250 downpayment, rest are fees]). There is also one that has 6.75% APR. So, before I make the big decision with the 203$ a month deal (i argued for 12k miles/mo. instead of 10), if you could show me what other arrangements would look like I'd feel better about which I choose.

Dealer quote: $15,600 and Good Credit
    So, either lease or finance (I'm okay with either)

Lease: 12k mo., as little out the door as possible, 36-39 months
    or
    Financing: 72 months with as little down-payment as possible

Just need some numbers to work with (i.e. money factor, monthly payment, etc.)

Thanks Car_Man! ;)
    Hi rovision. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Rabbit 2-Door with 10,000 miles per year are .00306 and 71%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey jzero23. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Rabbit 2-Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00306 and 61%, respectively. Its numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00326 and 61%. These money factors aren't very attractive. They are equivalent to interest rates of around 7.3% and 7.8%, respectively. If I was personally in the market for this car, I probably would finance it. I would be happy to give you an idea of what your lease payments on it would be like, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • rovisionrovision Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile I leased a Rabbit priced at $16,950, with some $500 CR + taxes/fees. For 24m/10kmiles/with the above MF and RV came to $300/month including sales tax.
    You're very welcome, rovision. Congratulations on your new ride. Thanks for taking the time to stop back and let us all know how everything turned out. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • ztinierztinier Member Posts: 2
    Car_man, I was just offered this deal for a base 2dr stick-shift 07 Rabbit.

Selling Price: 15,320
    Trade-in: 1,400
    Sales Tax: 900
    Dealer Fee: 600
    Total cost: $15,420

I am only being Taxed on $13,920 because of the trade in.

CASH DOWN 48months 60months 66months 72months
    $0 395 330 315 295
    $1000 370 310 295 277
    $2000 345 290 275 258

My Credit score is approx 660.
    Which, if any of these deals; are the best.
    Happy Holidays and TIA
  • jupilerjupiler Member Posts: 1
    Car_Man -

Looking to be prepared on lease negotiations and I do not have a good understanding to hold my own. Could you please advise.

I am interested in 2007 Rabbit 4-door manual with extras.
    MSRP - 19,669
    Negotiate to - 19,472
    39 months
    10,000 annual mileage
    Reasonable cash down
    Good to excellent Credit score.

Thank you.
    Hi ztinier. I see that you are considering trading in your current vehicle when you lease a new one. There's nothing wrong with trading in your current car or truck when you lease your next one, I've done it myself, however you would be much better off having the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for your trade than using the proceeds from it as a down payment for your lease. I always advise consumers against making down payments on leased vehicles. The main reason that I do so is if their leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, they down payment is lost.

I also see that you are considering leasing your Rabbit for a very long time. There's nothing wrong with a 48 month lease, but 60 months and 72 months are way too long. Consumers who lease for that long often find themselves wanting to get out of their leases early for a number of reasons, including a change in commute, a change in their family situation, etc... It is usually very expensive to get out of leases early.

I would be happy to give you my opinion on the selling price and lease payments that you were quoted if you provide me with this car's MSRP.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings jupiler. Since you do not fully understand how leasing works, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I see that you were not able to negotiate much of a discount on the Rabbit that you are interested in. I actually am not surprised. Volkswagen is not currently providing any cash incentives on the 2007 Rabbit and the spread between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price is only around $700 on a base model. If you shop around you may be able to shave another hundred or two off of this car's price, but there is not a whole lot of room to play with.

Once you arrive at a selling price that you are comfortable with, have the dealer calculate your car's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2007 Rabbit 4-Door with 10,000 miles per year are .00314 and 61%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • storrnycstorrnyc Member Posts: 28
    Hi Car_man

Long time no post. I was going to be getting a GTI but that fell by the wayside when the lady of the house changed jobs and did not need a car anymore. Well, she may need another new car for a possible new job and that got me wondering...which cars are top of the list to lease for working purposes. She will getting her 48.5 cents per mile and if she does around 600 a month that is just under $300 a month coming in. The more miles the better i guess. I assume its best(as always) to go for a car with a low money factor and a high residual value which probably discounts this rabbit although she does seem to love it. Which vehicles would you point me in the direction of for this purpose.
    Hey storrnyc. Volkswagen actually recently enhanced its lease program on the Rabbit. It's not amazing, but it's not bad. Other nice commuter cars that I would look at if I was in your wife's situation include the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and possibly the Toyota Prius. Honda is not currently providing any lease support on the Civic, so it's not a great vehicle to lease right now, but Toyota has special money factors on the Corolla and Prius in most areas.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • storrnycstorrnyc Member Posts: 28
    Thanks Car_man What is the current residual and money factor on a 36 month 15K deal. Is it the same metrics for drivers option? Shall i go over to the Jetta forum and ask the same for that?
  • bagshawbagshaw Member Posts: 14
    Carman,

Would you please post current VW lease residuals and bank factors for a 4-door VW Rabbit ? I'd be interested in leases ranging from 24 months to 36 months (27 and 30 month options fine too if available). Thanks.
    No problem, storrnyc. Through April 30th, Volkswagen Credit's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Rabbit 2 Door with 15,000 miles pr year are .00263 and 59%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease of an '07 Rabbit 4 Door is the same, but its residual value is 56%. VW Credit's Driver's Option program is different than its lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings bagshaw. Here is the information that you are looking for. Through April 30th, Volkswagen Credit's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Rabbit 4-door with 15,000 miles per year are .00263 and 65%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical 36 month lease would be the same, but its residual value would be 56%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Hi Car_man,

Are GTI Residuals and MF the same as the Rabbits? If not, do you have Residuals, and Money Factors for a 2007 GTI for May?
    Hey timmboj. Nope. The Rabbit has its own lease program. Its program varies by term and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of an '07 VW Rabbit 4-Door with 15,000 miles per year are .00263 and 56%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • trooperkaltrooperkal Member Posts: 4
    Hi All - this is my first post in these forums and I figured this would be a good topic to post in since I'll be picking up my new '07 Rabbit tonight.

My Rabbit is going to be leased and the MSRP is $18,865. The term is 36 months with 12,000 miles/year.

I'm taking it home for $1,500 up front and $265/month.

I assume this is a decent deal and that's because there are three VW dealers near me that I was able to have compete against each other.

Just an FYI for you that there are deals to be had.
  • wilkich84wilkich84 Member Posts: 34
    Congrads on the purchase. I'm looking to buy soon and would like some more info. Did you negotiate the actual price of the car? If so what was the negotiated price? Also, 2 dr or 4 dr and what options?
  • manwonetmanwonet Member Posts: 6
    FYI:

Just leased a 2007 2DR Coupe Automatic with 16" wheels, iPod adapter, and rubber mats w/ MSRP: $17,589. Here are the lease terms:

$500 total out the door and $300.00/mo for 24 mos, 10k miles.

Didn't do much haggling, was anxious to get something for the wife before Tuesday, but I wasn't paying anything over $300 and dealer knew that. Don't know where this fits in the bad to great lease deals (I'm sure you can always do better, worse, etc), but we're happy with it.
  • trooperkaltrooperkal Member Posts: 4
    Agreed on price was $17,500... it is a four door and standard options, no sunroof, wheels, etc...
  • imgdocimgdoc Member Posts: 30
    Car_man,

I am shopping for a 2Dr auto trans. Emailed a dealer. he found me one that I like for MSRP $17,125. I would like to ask him for a lease - 24 mo/12K miles/year, 0 down. What would be the numbers for a good deal. state tax is 7%.
    appreciate your help.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    that sounds a little off for a two door auto; our sticker for our 2 door auto w/ the 16 alloy wheel package stickered at 17,095.
    Dealer emailed me with the following offer:
    2dr auto, 16" alloy MSRP 17,105, selling price 16,950
    36 month lease, 12K/year, 299/mo, $500 total out of pocket.
    What do you guys think? Should I accept or haggle more?
    ok this sounds better. go for it.
    Just got a quote from another dealer:
    36 month lease, 12k/year 2-door Auto Rabbit with 16" Alloys:
    MSRP:$17101
    Selling price: $16500
    Money Factor: .00263
    Residual: 61%
    Drive Off Amount Due at Signing: $400
    Monthly Payment: $277.41
    This includes tax, title and registration

I was thinking of waiting till August for the 2008 models,
    but deal seems so sweet. What are you all thinking. Should I go for it now?
    it sounds good, but with the 08's just around the corner, you'll have to decide if you want bragging rights for a 170hp engine and a standard armrest, or this deal. i wish my payment was this much!
    I am kind of stubborn and I've sent a few more emails to nearby VW dealers. One of them called me on the phone and offered $263/mo and $430 drive off. Same 2dr, auto, alloy wheels.
    Are they really trying to get rid of the 2007 models? Anyway, this works for me and I am getting this bunny on Thursday. Will post after that.
    hey congrats man! you'll love it regardless if its 150 or 170hp.

i don't think the 08's are getting to the lots in a month or anything like that, but i have read on vw vortex that dealers are getting to the point where they are no longer taking special orders for 07 rabbits.
    I GOT IT!!! YEAHHH!
    It has 12 miles on it. It is the grey one. There was one green also but I kind of fell for the grey. The saleswoman was professional. Filled the paperwork with the numbers exactly as we agreed via the emails. Did not try to push any additional products like warranties etc... I asked her boldly if she will agree to through in the floor mats in the deal. She went to ask the manager and then said she cannot do it because she already gave me the best she can offer. She showed me the paper with the Invoice which was something like $16,880. Sale price is $16,300 - over $500 bellow invoice!!! With the $500 dealer cash they are getting I guess it is worth for them. So my payments are 263/mo with $400 drive off. She said she waived the acquisition and document fee as well. It is amazing. Imagine how much room they have for making a profit. Just a week ago I was getting offers like $299/mo and $500 drive off. It is definitely worth shopping around.
    I will write again to share my driving impression.

Great forum BTW. Thanks to Car-man and all of you guys.
    awesome man. simply great.

i've got the grey too, fantastic color! and enjoy your bunny!
  • brentwood5brentwood5 Member Posts: 14
    Car_Man can you please provide the current MF and Residual Value for 2008 Rabbits from VW Credit? Thanks!!
  • solicsolic Member Posts: 2
    Please Car_man, one more request for the same thing MF and Residual Value!

Thanks!!!
    Hi brentwood5. This car's lease program varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Rabbit with 15,000 miles per year are .00310 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    Greetings Car_man. Could you please let me know the money factor and residual on a 3 door 2008 Rabbit? Lease period 24 months, mileage 12,000 per year. Thanks.
    Here you go, cluedweasel. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2-Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00299 and 70%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    Thanks Car_man. Now to get my local guy down from the rather amusing $379 a month to around $260!
  • frookyfrooky Member Posts: 5
    Could you please tell me the lease numbers for November? I'm looking at a fully loaded 4-Door with manual transmission. MSRP would be roughly $21,403 with 17" wheels and Protection Package or $19,774 without those two options. If you would happen to know how much those two options cost to put on separately that would be great too. I live in Kansas if that makes a difference. Thanks!
  • frookyfrooky Member Posts: 5
    I forgot to mention mileage. 15,000 miles/year for whichever length of term is the cheapest monthly payment.
    No problem, cluedweasel. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.