Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New TSX Owner Reports

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
Congrats on your new ride! Give us your initial impressions here.

Comments

• mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    Purchased the 06 TSX 5AT Carbon Gray w/ Quartz & Navi in May 06. To date we have 3600 miles from one road trip and mostly commuter miles. Mileage has been steady at around 25-27 mpg on mix commuter driving (65% hwy/35% city) and 32-34 mpg on interstate driving.

:) Pros – I’m amazed on how much use I get from the Navi system. I’ve originally felt the Navi was overkill for a city I live in for over 6 years; but I find the Navi saves me a lot of travel time. I can drive directly to my destination instead of hunting for the address a mile or more away from it.

Bluetooth is a great feature because my wife can never find her Razr phone in her purse. One city in our state outlawed talking on a cell while driving, my city might be next. The HFL may be the only way to talk in a moving vehicle pretty soon.

There is enough power for everyday driving/commuting. Very smooth and stable on the highway, even with speed above 95 mph. Only time I crave more is passing on an uphill grade or on ramp situations. I live/travel between 5000-7500ft elevation. I have a few less horses available compared to my sea level TSXs.

Love the HID headlights didn’t realize how much I was missing with Halogen lights until I saw HID behind the wheel.

:( Cons – The XM radio promotion should be for at least 1 year instead of 3 months. It would be nice to choose between Sirus or XM.

I’ve always figure 360 watt stereo would sound a lot louder, crisper and with more bass. My $140 Alpine in my 97 Accord with 4 speakers is louder and has more bass.

I feel I sit a little too high in the seat and a few more inches of seat travel would be nice for me (6’3” w/ long legs). The rear view mirror causes a front right blind spot for me. I have to look under the rear view mirror at a 4-way stop because the car to the right is 100% hidden.

Conclusion – The TSX has the performance, economy, luxury, reliability, features, and safety innovations I wanted in an entry level luxury sport sedan. I enjoy driving everyday and only seeing 2-3 TSX’s a week compared to 10-15 Honda’s a day. I like the exterior styling and the interior is second to none in its class. I plan on keeping this car well past the 120,000 mile mark. The TSX gets a 9 out of 10 in my book.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • abhiutdabhiutd Member Posts: 44
    Hi,
    I recently got my TSX and found out it was making a squeaky sound near the passenger front side, sounds like from the tire region. I'm still exactly not sure what the real problem is. Took this friday apt at the dealership. Hope its not anything major.
    Apart from this, TSX drives so smooth and i just love the bluetooth option. I didn't anticipate earlier it would be that convenient option....:)

I have a question. When i start to drive the car, the doors doesn't get locked automatically.Aren't they suppose to when car reaches a certain speed?

Love my TSX! Hope you guys are enjoying yours as well.
    tc
    No, the doors do not auto lock at all. You have to purchase something aftermarket like an additional alarm system to autolock the doors in drive.
  • stlcarguystlcarguy Member Posts: 30
    to my TSX ownership.

The car was truly the best value in the segment IMO. Features per dollar and residual value are top notch! Two major contributors to my buying the car. The sporting character of this sedan continues to impress me.

Successes:
    - Luxury Features, ie. Xenons, HandsfreeLink, Memory Power Seats, XM, Aux-in
    - Sporting Drive. It truly is unbelievable for a FWD car. Torque steer is very minimal. I don't believe I've found the limits of it's cornering ability yet.
    - Materials Quality.
    - Balance of Size & Functionality. For me anyway, it is just ideal. Compact enough to feel sporty, but roomy enough for four people to be comfortable, plus a fair amount of trunk space.
    - Economy/Performance of the Engine. I know those two words don't normally go together, but I think they do in the TSX. Four cylinder fuel economy is a huge plus right now, but I feel good that there's enough engine to get up and go when I need to. Interstate power availability is more than adequate.

Disappointment:
    - Noises. This is really my only one. There is a myriad of rattles and creaks. The only thing more frustrating is that they come and go. I can go a couple days and not hear a single one. Other days, the steering wheel rattles, the A-Pillars squeak, and the plastic plate that looks like it guides the auto tranny creaks. I'm waiting for my first scheduled service to take it in, hopefully I will get to praise the service dept and remove my disappoint.
  • canaanmancanaanman Member Posts: 21
    Many thanks to all the advice I got from the Forum. I picked up my TSX with Navi, Royal Blue/Parchment last week in MD. Whole package came to $28,200, and I am going to spring for the extended warranty and roll it into my payments. I will keep reading the forum as I do maintenance to keep this rolling for years to come. Thanks to all.
  • mikewebermikeweber Member Posts: 21
    Got my TSX this past Saturday. I only drove it once at night so far, and it was just down the street. The dealers should be telling potential buyers to test drive it at night. The headlights are incredible - I've never had a car that lit up the road like this, and the field of view is very wide too. In the cabin there are blue LEDs - not sure why, but OK. I really like the slow dimming roof light when you close the doors. Inside one of the compartments there is a light too. Of course the dash lights we already know are very cool.
    Hey i was just going through the manual and i see there's an option of doing that through the Info and Set/Reset button in the setup. I still have to try it though.

Also, do anyone of you know if there's an option of checking the tire pressure through computer?

cheers!
    No tire pressure monitor on the '06. It is expected on the '07 however.
    I haven’t seen a lot of changes for the 07 TSX other that the tire pressure monitoring system. I purchased a cheap solution for $17.99+shipping. I use them on my TSX and 97 Accord, I call it my "passive TPMS". I have 32psi for the front and 30psi for the rear tires. You really don't notice them on the tire like you would think.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    So does it show on your computer or you just see some indicator like the one shown in pic? I'm assuming it would be available in auto shops like napa,etc.Or if you can tell me the place you bought it at.
    Thanks.

cheers!
    This is just a very low tech screw on replacement valve stem cap. No electronic at all. If your tire pressure is below a certain psi, the top will change from green to yellow and finally red if way too low. I haven't played with it to see how low the psi’s need to be before it changes to yellow. I think some type of TPMS will be mandatory for all new autos in a few years. I found these on the internet because I prefer to click/order compared to driving to a brick/mortar.

http://garage-toys.com/tireminder.html
  • ego29isteego29iste Member Posts: 45
    Hi all,

Just got a new 2006 TSX 6 spd w/ Navi. I am coming to the Acura family after having owned a few new automobiles - BMW 328i w/ Dinan, Mazda MX-5 6spd, and Accord V6 Navi Coupe - - so far the TSX does a nice job of blending the strengths of all those vehicles. Can't wait for the break in period to be over already. The bluetooth feature (Nokia E61) has been outstanding.

Looking forward to contributing and learning from the forums.

Happy Driving!

TJ
    Well you have owned pretty nice cars and i'm glad to hear you like TSX rather you went for it in such a big and competitive car market cause TSX is my first ever car and it feels good to hear opinions from people like you which in turn makes me proud of myself that i chose TSX....:-)
    I also have E61 and syncs with HFL like a charm. I just crossed my break-in period, 600 miles and just want to mention i got a decent MPG within this period of 26 mpg mixed city/highway with A/C all the time. Hope to see my mileage gets even better.
    Enjoy your TSX!

cheers!
    Abhitud: Glad to hear you're enjoying your car. I always liked light cars that were fun to drive and could be driven hard. The TSX is pretty mature in its life cycle and they got around to fixing most of its initial problems. I used to be a complete badge wh*r# but glad to have grown out of that phase, for the most part :) I hardly drive these days due to my career and all I need is a fun light semi-tossable car for the weekends. Regarding the E61, you might want to check out E-series.org for some fun/useful software.

I had the chance to take the car for a 100 mile trip through some nice winding roads today. Good ride overall but the suspension does seem to get a bit iffy when it meets a bump or some other irregularity while you are cornering. Loving the stick shift!

BTW, I am trying to get a side guard for this car - Acura does not carry one for the TSX. The one from the RL does not fit due to the door curvature and the TL won't match in terms of color. Has anyone gone the aftermarket route?

Thanks,

TJ
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your TSX's, but since when does a 3300 lb car qualify as light? :D

Cheers
    Come on now, it's a relative statement. I'm sure he wasn't thinking Lotus light by any means. Besides . . .

Welcome to 2006+. It's called Safety, and Technology. They have weight associated with them unfortunately.

TSX: 3345lbs
    325i RWD: 3285
    A4 2.0T FWD: 3450
    IS250 RWD: 3435
    C230 RWD: 3405

Turn any of those competitors into their AWD variants and the TSX gains a 200lb weight advantage minimum. :P
    johnny420: Fair point mate. It is somewhat relative depending on your frame of reference. I suppose I felt it is a light car due to the way it handles compared to the car I was driving for the last two years which felt heavy. Had I been driving the MX-5 recently I might have had a different view on the TSX.

The closest analogy I can draw is when you drive an MX-5 with the top down it feels like you are driving at twice the speed. I guess what I am trying to get across, rather poorly, is how something "feels" can change your perception of reality.

TJ
    One major weakness of the TSX is the OEM all season Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. Most Acura TSX owners who like "spirited" driving rate the tires average to below average. If you just do commuting/Home Depot/visit in-laws, the Michelin tire is perfectly fine.

To maximize the TSX’s potential will require a higher performance tire. Adding a lowered A-spec or Tein suspension, thicker rear sway bar along with 17 or 18 inch performance tires will improve the TSX’s already great handling without compromising the ride quality too much.

I don’t know, adding side molding to the TSX may distort the already great looking lines and profile of the car. I hear what you are saying; I’ve already got one ding on the passenger side door exactly where the side molding would be at. I just wax and buffed it out the best I could and now park further away (I need the exercise any way).
    Guys, Please excuse my ignorance about cars but what this side guards might be. Is it the side spoiler?
    I'm certainly enhancing my knowledge through you guys.. :D

Another thing- when i unlock my car through remote and try to customise my options in computer by pressing Info for 3 seconds, it says Customisation impossible, unknown driver. Now the manual says only if you user your keys to unlock your doors it would say Driver Unknown but i'm using my remote. I wonder what the problem is.

cheers!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There are discussions about tires and about the side moldings. Go to the top level of this TSX board and check them out!

While you're there, be sure to click on "Track This Group" (located just over the discussion list on the right) - that way you can use Read New Posts and never miss a TSX related message. ;)
    mrgold35: The look could be marred a bit by the side moldings but it would irritate me forever if I got a ding on it. Hoping to come across someone who has taken this leap or hopefully for 07 Acura will make it an option :)

Thanks for the heads up on tires - I will certainly keep it in mind. I am in MA, plenty of white stuff - so that would mean two sets of tires (performance and all seasons and their related storage issues). I am contemplating the A-Spec upgrade, only the suspension upgrade which runs 1600 (incl. labor).

I always park furthest out! My friends and girl friend think I am mad but I enjoy the walk and lowering the probability of the car getting dinged.

I took a recent road trip to get closer to the 600 mile mark so I can really start driving ;). I have some good shots but it looks like Edmunds won't let me upload it. I will upload it elsewhere and try and link it later.
    Edmunds won't let you upload it? Have you tried uploading it to your personal CarSpace page? You should be able to do that, but if you're having a problem, let me know. I'll point you in the right direction to get help.
    mrgold35, "Acura TSX: Problems & Solutions" #989, 18 Aug 2006 12:49 pm

Hey adhiutd, check out the above link for the drive unknown problem.
    Thank you Pat!

TSX Run 1

I tried pasting the http:// link for the image but that didn't work. So doing it this way for now.

Thanks again for your help.

TJ
    That worked! Thanks a lot buddy!

cheers!
    You're very welcome - glad you got them posted!
  • dmacciocdmaccioc Member Posts: 13
    Hi Everyone,

Took home my Carbon Grey w/ Ebony TSX Auto/Nav yesterday and I'm extremely pleased. I put over 130 miles on it yesterday (about 65% two-lane highway, 35% city) and the average mpg is about 23 - not bad at all for a first half-tank!

Pluses and minuses so far:
    + Ride and handling are perfect (for my needs, anyway)
    + All gauges are clear, buttons are easy to use
    + Very comfortable with enough headroom for me (I'm 6'4")
    + Stereo is powerful, Nav is effortless
    + Quiet power, smooth shifts, promising mileage
    + Carried a phonecall hands-free and had navigation guiding me home last night
    - Bluetooth a little temperamental (likely my fault, haven't read the manual completely)
    - Must tap the nav screen "OK" upon every startup

My minuses are very nit-picky. I'm extremely pleased and wish I had more excuses for making some trips! Does anyone have any errands I can run? =)

Lots of luck to the rest of you new owners.

Don
    Hey Don,

Carbon Grey was my initial preference as well. They didn't have a 6 spd in that color so I picked one up in Royal Blue Pearl. I have had mine for a week or so and just passed the break in period. Other than one intermittent annoying metallic rattle (like a screw or something is loose) from the front passenger side the car has been a pleasure to drive.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride.

TJ
    Just had my car hand washed and I got it back clean with plenty of swirl marks (light scratches). Two years ago I would have had a mini fit but now I am just a bit upset. Moving forward, I would suggest being extra careful when having your car washed and def. avoid the machine wash places. I assume darker colors are more susceptible to swirl marks (as in they will show up easier).

I have heard some talk about the paint on the TSX being not that tough and the reason was the new EPA regulations. I don't really buy it since plenty of other brand new cars that my friends own don't have any swirl marks after 5-6 months of ownership.

Also, on another Acura centric forum I read that some owners were having their fog lights cracked from road debris. Since fog lights are standard in the 2006 MY this should be something to explore.

Moving on to something more pleasant, I have an appointment to tint my car today and have set up another appointment later in the week with one of the best detail shops in the area to give my car a full detail (hoping some of the swirl marks can be removed or minimized).

Best,

TJ
    P.S. I realize my post should probably belong in the problems and solutions area but I am posting it here so new owners can try and avoid these issues before it even becomes a problem.
  • happytsxhappytsx Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 06 White TSX with auto and navi on July 7/06. Now that I have owned it 2 months I can rave about it. I simply cant find a fault, it was delivered as perfection and its still perfection, 2200 miles in. What I mean is no squeaks, no rattles, no body moans or groans at all, its tight as a drum. I am head over heels with the bluetooth, the HID headlights, the XM radio, the power, the tranny, the navi, everything. I am also extremely pleased how cool the perforated seats keep my back, its been sick hot in SoCal this summer, and the a/c is the coldest I've ever owned. If someone FORCED me to find a flaw, I would say it could be a little quieter over bad to mediocre pavement and the gas mileage is a touch disapointing for a 4, and for how gentle I drive it, but thats really nitpicking for me. (I'm getting low to mid 20's in town and low to mid 30's on the highway, maybe it will get better with breakin) I absolutely love this car, looked at everything, and am convinced I got the best car in the world for my budget and needs. I hope all TSX owners are as pleased as I am!
    That's great to hear - thanks for telling us. I always like to read new owner reports after a little time has gone by.
    the gas mileage is a touch disapointing for a 4, and for how gentle I drive it, but thats really nitpicking for me. (I'm getting low to mid 20's in town and low to mid 30's on the highway, maybe it will get better with breakin)

I was going to say you'll probably find the fuel economy improves a bit as the engine runs in, but if you're already getting those numbers, you're doing well. Remember that the K24 is a pretty highly tuned motor, with outstanding performance, so your numbers look good for 2200 mi.

Congrats on the car. I'm at 31 months, and I'm very pleased too!
    Hi,
    I'm pretty happy with my TSX but i just feel the suspension are not very good and when my engine is idling with brakes on, i feel little vibrations in my feet, i dont know how common is it cause its my first brand new car. What do you guys have to sya about it since many of you have a pretty good knowledge about things and always helping me with my basic questions :blush:

cheers!
    The scenario you describe has nothing to do with the suspension, since you're essentially parked. You're just feeling the drivetrain/engine vibration through the brake pedal.

I'm assuming you have a AT-equipped TSX.
    I apologise if i didn't make myself clear. I was actually talking about 2 different things: suspension and brakes.
    I drove a TL too as a loaner car and i felt it was much smoother on bumps on the road but on my TSX i do feel a relatively bumpy ride.
    Yes i have a A/T equipped TSX.

cheers!
    Yes, the TSX is sprung a little stiffer than the TL, but the upside to that is that the TSX handles better, and has a more nimble, responsive feel than the TL. The TL is larger, softer and much more of a grand touring car than the TSX. You pick your poison.

You might want to check your tire pressure to verify that it's at spec (32 front, 30 rear). Dealers are notorious for neglecting to check the pressure, and since cars are shipped from the factory with over-inflated tires, this would contribute to excessive bumpiness.
    Johnny, You are definitely right dealers over inflate the tires and believe it or not mine had 40 in all the tires and it took me 1 week to figure out.Stupid me.
    Well now i do have the 32/30 but still it doesn't match the TL. But like you said TSX handles better than the TL.
    So you think the reason i feel the vibrations when i'm idling is because its A/T?

cheers!
    So you think the reason i feel the vibrations when i'm idling is because its A/T?

I do. This issue has been raised before by other TSX owners with AT equipped cars. You'll probably get used to it, but definitely take it in and have it looked at if it really bothers you.

FWIW, it took me a while to get used to the TSX's ride when I first got the car 32 months ago. Sometimes it's still annoying on really textured road surfaces, but the car is so much fun to drive overall, and it does so well on long trips, that I can overlook some of its shortcomings.

Also, I don't know if you listed your mileage, but the suspension will settle in some by 10,000 miles or so.
    Thanks. I have almost 1900 miles on my TSX now. Yes i agree its really fun to drive on highway cause i went to a short trip from NJ to Boston and it was a blast to drive. yeah lets hope it gets only better as i put ore miles on it.

cheers!
    As much i was happy with the HFL of my TSX with my phone ,Nokia E61 when i bought it, i've been feeling a little dissapointed lately with its pairing with my phone. After every few days it fails to recognise the phone and asks for the code.
    i dont know if its something with my phone or some inefficiencies of the TSX HFL. Its frustrating. I wonder if any of you guys have experienced similar problems.

cheers!
    I have an E61 as well. For awhile, the TSX HFL would answer the call and then transfer it back to the headset. Which was frustrating! Finally, I deleted the profile on the TSX and on the E61 and paired them up again. It has been working well since. My thinking was perhaps, there was a corruption of the profile, if that is even possible.

I have also noticed that if you answer a call using the HFL system and then transferred it to your headset the call would go through fine but after that there would be issues in receiving calls with the HFL. At times, the system would say the phone is busy when it was not or would indicate that it could not find the phone when the bluetooth was on.
    Hi,
    Thanks. Thats a good point i guess. I will try to delete my profile too and see how it goes.

cheers!
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Many cars with firm suspensions have bumpy or choppy rides, which is due mostly to the tires because they have stiff sidewalls. By changing to a tire with softer sidewalls most of the choppiness is eleminated. And if the owner buys tires with a smoother tread pattern the car will ride quieter. You will be amazed how much difference it makes.

Fowler3
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Tires are a start, but sidewall stiffness, spring rate, and rebound dampening all interact to give a car a certain ride quality. Change one without addressing the others, and you'll probably end up with degraded ride and handling.

Either keep your car as the manufacturer intended, or purchase a complete tire & suspension upgrade from a reputable company that researched and tested the combination.

Honda's A-Spec kits, Comptech, H&R, Eibach, and others sell complete setups that are tuned specifically for the TSX. In many cases, handling will improve will little or no loss in ride quality (sometimes you can even improve ride quality AND handling).
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    had my milano red-ebony int.6spd with nav. l month today. It has 5,236 miles of mostly highway driving. The only complaint is the paint seems to chip very easy- caused by other vehicles or mostly truck tires throwing stones. I love the 6 speed transmission. I hopefully will be able to continue driving manual till I can no longer drive- do not like automatic.
    I had Milano Red too. Yup, paint chipped very easily. My hood was littered with chips after 2 years of Pacific NW driving.

If you don't have too many chips yet, consider repairing them and installing a "clear bra."
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    thanks for the advice but I have heard that the bra creates more problems than it is worth. You have to make sure it stays dry underneath it and other things
    You're thinking of a conventional leather bra.

Clear bra is clear plastic tape that is cut to fit the front bumper, headlights, and the first 6 inches or so of the hood.

It is adhesive and never needs to be removed. Moisture does not get underneath it.
  • jude2jude2 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my beautiful TSX for just less than a month and have approx. 300 miles on it. Unfortunately, I began experiencing a great deal of neck and back pain for the last week and a half. I feel a lot of vibration in my neck while driving on city streets. I have tried numerous seat positions and have tried not to be confined by the narrowness of the seats. I am 5'5" and not a big person. Any ideas? I did note that one reader mentioned his back pain,as well.
  • autonew2006autonew2006 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all -- I just picked up my new 06 on Dec. 20. I read messages on this board before choosing my TSX -- thank you for all the posted info, experiences, and tips. It really helps.

I am enjoying the car -- I'm still protecting it from the elements so I just have about 200 miles driving experience in it. Everything is perfect thus far -- Headlights are amazingly bright, the 6-spd MT is a pleasure, my iPod is working in the aux input, XM radio is great -- the car drives and rides like a dream.

One question for other owners -- when driving in higher gears at 40-60 mph the engine makes a moderately high pitched whine sound -- is this normal? I presume the sound is normal for this car -- I like the sound -- I just want to see if it is normal for others.

Enjoy your TSX's -- Happy New Year -- I'm looking forward to driving my TSX in 2007.