Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry Hybrid Driving Tips & Tricks

1235»

Comments

• Options
    twosoxtwosox Member Posts: 4
    Gatorman -- I am curious about your commute, since I am making a similar trip (from McLean to Laurel). I wish this forum had a private message function so we could compare. I have had my TCH since September, and I am getting similar efficiency.
  • Options
    gatorman89gatorman89 Member Posts: 9
    I drive 30 miles each way, 1/2 on the inner/outer loop and the other half on Hwy 7. I've been keeping a "feather touch" on the gas pedal with "very minute" changes in pressure to maintain speed & mpg. Some days are not as good as others due to the timing on traffic and red lights. However, it's been averaging 39-41 overall. One thing I did notice since the weather started getting colder these last few days, if I raise the heater temp up (72+) during the first 10-15 mins of driving, the ICE will come on more often (I'm still experimenting with it though). What specifically did you want to know??
  • Options
    twosoxtwosox Member Posts: 4
    I was actually wondering where you were going to and from -- looking to carpool on occasion.
  • Options
    scposterscposter Member Posts: 2
    When I first posted this thread, I had failed to see the apparent reason the engine was running when stopped. The battery gauge shows that the battery is discharged below the plus/minus sign. Maybe the battery has a problem? Today it went way below the plus and minus sign and then came back rather fast.?
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Battery charge will be different for a lot of people based on the terrain you drive and how much the battery is used just before you stop. Find a long steep grade and apply your brakes as you go down and watch to see if you can build a full charge. Put your screen on the battery charge mode to learn what charges it and get more comfortable knowing what is "normal". I'm guessing you're OK.
  • Options
    Dande50000Dande50000 Member Posts: 3
    The blue illumination that surrounds the speedometer an MPG consumption gauge varies in intensity. I believe it has something to do with fuel effiency, but I cannot find anything on this subject. Does anybody know?
  • Options
    cdn_tchcdn_tch Member Posts: 194
    The 'halo' corresponds to your current trip FE. The 4 intensities mirror the 4 steps in the MFD.
  • Options
    Thanks,
    I have not picked up on the abbreviations yet. What does MFD mean? And for that matter what are some others?
  • Options
    MFD = Multi Function Display (the one in the speedometer)
    ICE = Internal Combustion Engine
    EV = Electrical Vehicle (or more usually EV mode = running purely on battery power)
    FE = Fuel Economy
    Heretical Mode = when one of the electrical motors starts going backwards to generate power while the other one is poewring the wheels, ICE is running but the FE becomes 50-80 MPG depending on speed of the car)
  • Options
    jjgasmanjjgasman Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new TCH owner and a cruise control (CC) user. In reading some of the postings, I'm getting the feeling that using CC is not the way to maximize MPGs. Is this true? I'm only getting 32 MPG and drive mostly rurally (35-50 mph) with 10 mile trips at a time.

Advice to maximize?
  • Options
    Oh what a loaded question... :-)

10 miles is a very short trip, mostly rural also reduces the opportunity to take advantage of the EV mode, and if you don't get a place to stop for 7 seconds, you will not get into 'mode 4'. Also CC is good on flat land, but one of the worst things in hilly terrain.

Things that could help.

- get an engine block heater and plug the car in about 2-3 hours before you leave. That way the car will be up to normal operating temps within a mile.
    - after the temp gauge has reached full operating temp try to stop for 7 sec. The engine will turn off and you are in mode 4 which lets the TCH shut down and you can run in EV mode. If the engine shuts off immediately after stopping, the the engine is not up to full operating temp yet.
    - If you have hills, and they don't have to be all that steep, use your foot and ease up on the gas as you are getting to the top of the hill. This gets the eCVT computer to start reducing the revs with taller gearing.
    - always be gentle on the gas pedal
  • Options
    Purchased 2008 used TCH in Nov. I learned how to drive it for max MPG. To the end of May I was consistently getting 40.0 to 40.5 MPG for many months. After I got home from vacation -June 10- the mileage dropped to 36, now it is 32. I drive the same way - same route. I took it to Dealer, all is within specs. they had no suggestions. I was bragging about 40. At 32 I do not like to drive it. The weather is hot here in Tucson, but it was hot in May. A/c runs about 10 months of the year. I keep the ac economy button on. I do not think that the extra A/C can drop 20% in MPG. Any suggestions out there?
  • Options
    snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    That drop is from the a/c running much more...it is averaging 110 degrees plus here in phoenix for over a week.....My 2008 TCH has dropped MPG as well and did last summer. Worst tank last year was when the car was out in the full sun baking all day....takes energy to cool down....that tank was 33.1mpg. You can either turn the a/c off....not likely to happen...or enjoy a nice cool drive and still get over 30mpg. Your mileage will return when the temperature goes below 90 again. Also you might want to check the air pressure in your tires.....seems to affect hybrids more.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Yep, it's the heat.

Same issue in Phoenix. My summer average this summer has been 31.8 MPG, whereas my lifetime in this car has been about 34.1.

The average for the times of the year when I don't use A/C or heater are about 37 MPG.

Nothing wrong with your car - just physics taking it's toll.
  • Options
    danield1danield1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 TCH gasoline engine shuts down everytime I brake to a stop, then re-starts as soon as I take off, say from a stop sign. The hesitation that it causes is annoying. Is there any way to modify the Modes of operation to make the engine stay running on a quick stop for a stop sign? Or some kind of switch the driver could hold?
  • Options
    The car is working as designed. One thing to try is just go light on the accelerator to let the engine fire up and then add more gas to get moving.
  • Options
    danield1danield1 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for your quick answer.
    I discovered that trick, but I am reluctant to "go kart" the vehicle with left foot brake and right foot throttle. A panic situation might make me push the wrong foot, if I am not consistent.
    What I am thinking about trying is to find the output from the computer that is denergizing the ignition, and by-passing that output with a manual switch, probably located on the console, so I can keep the engine running when I want.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    As posted, that is by design. You will have to adapt to it.

The reviews say the Fusion Hybrid does a better job of seamless start and stop, so you could trade for the Fusion.
  • Options
    manmemanme Member Posts: 2
    I'm collecting information on hybrid cars. I know the Toyota Highlander has an AWD feature as standard equipment. Is the same true for the Camry Hybrid? This is important because we are lookng for a car that will be safe to drive in Reno where snow and ice can be a factor. Am I correct in assuming AWD will help in driving in these conditions? As much as 4WD? Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
  • Options
    manmemanme Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know if the Toyota Hybrid has AWD? As standard feature or optional?
  • Options
    The Camry Hybrid is FWD only, but does have Toyota's VSC (Vehicle Stability Control). IIRC the Highlander hybrid is also FWD, but it uses electric motors on the rear wheels to give 4WD mode.
  • Options
    zerryladyzerrylady Member Posts: 13
    Well, I'm 77 years old. I guess i certainly know how to "rock" a car in snow here in Minneapolis. Well I got stuck today in about three inches of snow. #@%$*^^^^^%%%%where is the button to turn off the traction control so I can (use my years of driving experience in snow) "rock" the car!!!!!!! zerrylady@aol.com
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It is interesting how making all these "smart cars" that do more and more for the driver leads to situations like that.
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2010
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef31962/4632#MSG4632 I think this will get you to the method to cancel traction control. I keep a copy of these instructions in the car. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    zerryladyzerrylady Member Posts: 13
    Thank you. I tried your idea and the traction control turned off. Interesting how two toyota dealerships said it couldn't be done..zerrylady@aol.com
  • Options
    drvnmamadrvnmama Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2012 TCH LE last night! Thrilled so far, but obviously, still working my way through the manual. I'd love to hear from other owners some tips and tricks with this model to maximize mpg, as well as to alert me to any quirks that might cause worry.

One specific question: Two sales reps at the dealership told me opposite things last night. One said to never shift to "B" for downhill, and one said to always shift to "B" for even slight declines to charge up battery and help maximize mpg.

Also wondering if I have to change my driving style. I always drive about 5 miles over the speed limit in good driving conditions if the flow of traffic is rolling with it, and I tend to accelerate to get around clusters on the freeway rather than hang out behind them. Gonna have to change my ways?