Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Real World MPG

79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
edited June 2017 in Hyundai
Here's the place to discuss actual MPG that you( the owners ) have acheived with your Hyundai Accent. The purpose of this thread is for me to see what type of mileage that this brand of car really gets. Its time for me to get my first real car for road use, and this is a real strong candidate. If you have any advice/information/reccomendation that will benefit me in my pursuit of my first car it will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• psuedocidepsuedocide Member Posts: 1
    Truthfully, it does pretty well for me. I drive far too much and I'm only spending $50-60 on gas a week which is amazing compared to the $100 or so when I was driving a 95 camry v6. So in terms of actual gas mileage- city- 28-30 mpg and highway- 40-50. Hope that helps.
  • 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    How good does the car accerate? In order to acheive that type of mileage do you have to ride easy on the accerator or can you just drive it normal? I est drove a 2004 Ford Taurus LX with the base 3.0L V6 and I constantly found myself stomping the accelerator to merge into traffic from an intersection. I know that most of that is probably that the car is underpowered so that mite not be the same in a car of the weight of the Accent. Do you feel that the Accent is powerful enough to keep up with traffic, or do you feel the Elantra mite be a better bet, just for safety. Anybody feel free to voice your opinion on this. Thanks for posting!
  • flackoneflackone Member Posts: 6
    We just bought a 2007 accent hatchback with manual transmission. We were expecting great gas mileage right off the bat but as it turns out, we're getting somewhere between 18 and 20mpg/city. We're almost through our first tank of gas and the odometer is only at 180 miles. I know there's a hidden gallon or so, but still, the range should be much closer to the advertised 380mi. This could be an initial break in period. We're hoping for the best, but you might want to look into this a bit more if you're still considering buying one. Has anyone else had this experience?
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    Oh my gosh, yes on the first tank it always sucks....no pun intended. My first tank in my car was 24 and the car was not broken in yet. It will get better.
    That's what my old truck gets. I would hope that the little Accent would do a touch better than my big old truck. If not then I'm taking the truck! I really hope that this is caused by the "break in" factor. Thanks! I will definitly ask around about that before I buy one.
  • flackoneflackone Member Posts: 6
    Here's an update on our gas mileage for anyone who just drove home from the dealership. They don't check the tire pressure! Ours were at 25psi instead of 30 and filling them up seemed to make a big difference in gas mileage. Also, we've got about 500 miles on it and it now seems to be getting about 30mpg with mixed city and highway driving (mostly city). I'm not sure if this is because of the tires or that the car is now a bit more broken in, but there has been a drastic improvement.
    Proper PSIs help mileage there is no doubt. I will definitly check that in any car that I buy from a dealer lot. You brought up a good point about the dealer lots not checking the tire PSIs, I had never thought of doing that, but it makes perfect sense, thanks for the input!
  • jerseyboyjerseyboy Member Posts: 1
    Just filled my first tank. I was definitely taking it easy driving (automatic) due to the break-in period. My mileage was a dissappointing 26.5 MPG.

A friend's mother just paid a couple thousand more and got a Yaris. Her average was 38 MPG!

I'm hoping that the mileage does get better. I will check the PSI also. I hope to report back with some better news.
  • bwctaccentbwctaccent Member Posts: 5
    We just purchased the same, (2007 accent hatch SE, manual tran) however its too early to tell as well. 'Minor' issue keeping me from driving it after just 60 miles of ownership. Gear shift was occasionally kicking out of 4th gear and into neutral. Dealer was able to replicate it and now I'm the proud owner of a new tranny that is being expressed ship from Korea. Hopefully I was just 1 of the unlucky ones. Have you had any similar tranny issues? :sick:
  • mib4tmib4t Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 accent L 1500 sohc manual Iused it for 3 1/2 years for messenger work in and around LA driving between 160 and 300 miles per day. I was getting 32mpg average driving it quiet hard on freeways and around town . Using the AC reduced it to about 29 mpg
    Driving at about 55 to 60 mph on the freeway i would get about 45mpg.
    I would have to accelerate quite hard to get up to freeway speed but this was usually done in third gear once the car was moving not in first or second as this was harder on the tyres

my daily commute is now in town and i am still averageing 30 to 32 mpg. It now has over 218000 miles and is burning oil but still starts and runs every day.
  • norm14norm14 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Accent, bought in January of 2002. My mileage on it is 40-42 MPG highway and about 38-40 mixed driving. The car's mileage drops markedly in winter to mid thirties. I like passing dead Mercedes' on the side of the road. Car currently has 90,000 miles on it and I have spent close to nothing on repairs. For value, I just don't think you can beat it. I have no problems with accelerations, but have never driven a car with high-end acceleration so have little to compare it to. I am disappointed new HYundais only brag 35 mpg, although mine only officially boasts 37.
  • bwctaccentbwctaccent Member Posts: 5
    I have about 2500 miles on my new 07 Accent stick and am getting similar results about 30mpg average in mixed city and highway (mostly highway).
  • skierx420skierx420 Member Posts: 22
    My wife has 89,471 miles. Due to her job she records how much fuel she has put in and how many miles on each tank. The OVERALL average for the LIFE of the vehicle has been 32.231 mpg. Not bad for a car that commutes a minimum of 50 miles per day. This is mostly highway miles but they are on 2 lanes and secondary roads. This Accent is a 2003 base model, with a 1.6 liter and a 5 speed manual.
  • islandlady1975islandlady1975 Member Posts: 3
    So I see a lot of these messages is from some time ago. I am wondering if anyone has any further updates to share? I have my '07 Accent for about two weeks now. I have filled up twice. I am concerned about the mileage being so low. I figured it on the second fill up at 23MPG. Someone please tell me it gets better since I love it and dont want to change cars.
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    Hi, I have had my Accent for about 5 weeks now and have about 4600 miles on it and can't seem to get more than 30-31 miles per gallon. My old '99 Accent (which still runs great with 206,000+ miles on it) gets an average of 33-35 miles per gallon. Both have automatic trannys. I hope it increases over time, but my engine is definately broken in at this point, so I won't expect any miracles.
    Hope you do better over time.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • forbesjforbesj Member Posts: 22
    I have an 01 Accent hatch, base model, no A/C or anything, 5 speed. It has the older 1.5L engine you can't get on an Accent today, however, the EPA ratings are relatively similar.

At absolute best, I've seen 42MPG on highway only trips with conservative (60-65mph, no stops at all except for gas), 36-38MPG for normal highway driving (70-75mph with occasional bursts to 80/85), 28-31mpg for my normal driving (all short trips, mostly city driving, though on "fast" city roads with a minimal number of stops), and winter mileage as low as 20mpg.

My roommate has an 03 or 04 Elantra with an auto, and gets slightly worse mileage than me. It's also bigger, actually a little bit peppy, more comfortable, quieter, and in general a much nicer car. Not bad for only 1-3mpg less than what I get (though admittedly I do significantly better, as in 3-5mpg, on strictly highway driving).

Anecdotally, friends with similar cars of other makes tend to get better mileage than myself, even those with bigger cars (Civics, in particular).

All in all, it wasn't a bad car for the money, but I'm getting ready to buy something new, and I won't be looking at a new Accent, for sure. The car did it's job, was reliable, but I'll be looking a bit upmarket this time, and will happily pay a bit more for the gas.

To the one with the performance concerns - an Accent isn't a fast car, and the new model is likely to be a bit slower than any Taurus that wasn't built in the 80s. 0-60 on the new ones is probably around 11 seconds or so. It'll be reasonable in city traffic, but, if my experience with my 1.5l is worth anything, if merging uphill onto highways with 85mph traffic is something you do on a regular basis, I would strongly recommend something with a bit more power. Doing so in the Accent 1.5L has been a generally harrowing experience.

Frankly, with the prices the way they are, I don't see all that much of an attraction to the Accent at all when placed against a Yaris, Elantra, xA, or Mazda3i, obviously at different price points. The Focus can be had for a particularly good deal now, too, and while the interior won't match an Elantra's, it's more economical, and can be had for a bit less money, too.

Edmund's "Total cost to own" over 5 years on an Accent sedan is about $29k, which includes interest, depreciation, insuance, and maintenence. Compare this to a Yaris, which is a more expensive car, at $27.9k. Not a huge difference, but most of that difference comes from as and depreciation. A Civic DX clocks in at $27k, Focus at $30k, Elantra at $29.8k, Mazda3i at $28.3k.

If you can afford a higher monthly payment, I don't see much of a reason in going for the Accent for strictly economy/value reasons. If you have the money, and aren't in love with the Accent, I'd recommend looking at the other cars that are priced slightly above it.

If you like the Accent, by all means, go for it! I just don't see them as a great value, from a pure money sense, as I see the other cars as nicer options.

Okay, sorry 'bout the little OT run here.
  • mikeyhdmikeyhd Member Posts: 1
    2007 Accent SE 3DR 4,000miles

I drive 270 miles a week of which 240 are highway 65-80mph.

My average has gone from low 26's to high 27's.

Whether or not the A/C is on doesn't seem to matter.

This car desperately needs a 6th gear, 4000rpm at 80mph is way too much.
  • fishman768fishman768 Member Posts: 4
    I drive close to 100 miles each day as a commute to work and back, 50 miles each way. I get 34-38 MPG still. Car has over 134K on it now.
  • dymensiondymension Member Posts: 1
    Thats about what we're doing and my Accent is a 2005. We can usually get to about 220 on one tank. When driving from New York to chicago, we averaged about 34.
  • chastek3chastek3 Member Posts: 5
    I have 07 Accent 3 door with 3500 miles. I get 30 MPG in mixed city-highway driving. The car is hampered by the 4 speed auto which desperately needs a higher top gear. If MPG is the concern one must consider the manual transmission
  • sgopussgopus Member Posts: 7
    my first tank of gas I got 42 MPG, then didn't know I had to use at least midgrade gas, so next tank I got 27 MPG, now I'm using Midgrade and got 32MPG, next tank I will use supreme and see what happens.
    My factory radio is not satellite ready, is anybody aware of any issues if I get a different Radio that is satellite ready, ie will it require any special adapters etc..
    I will be having someone else do the install :confuse:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why do you think you need to use mid-grade gas? The Accent is designed to run on 87 octane.
    Cause I've tried the 87 and it runs better and gets better MPG on the 89
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    You are wasting money.
  • accentuateaccentuate Member Posts: 4
    and to tell you the truth I am pissed. I have never put anything under a full tank of gas and 90% of the time I have seen the gas light come on. I have gone to the same gas station since day one (aside from 3 different gas stations to see if it was my gas station giving me bad gas) I have tried premium, midgrade, and regular. I have tried driving fast, driving slow, driving 8 miles to work mostly freeway and now I am driving 3 miles to work with a mile or so jaunt on the freeway.

I can tell you now there is no break in period. There is no getting better or worse. I went on a rallycross where you get a packet that tells you "turn here" "go this speed" and there was a lot of leaving it it in 2nd going up a hill trying to keep it at 25mph...that tank which also included 2 laps around Portland international raceway got me 28mpg. That was the best tank I have seen yet.

For the majority of the time I have owned the car (and I have been keeping my gas reciepts since the beginning of the year) I see anywhere from 240 miles to 260 miles on a tank. I can run through a tank in a week or two depending on the amount of driving, but its always taken 9-10 gallons of gas and has allways got me 240-260 miles.
    On a 3 mile commute that includes accelerating onto a freeway (maybe the worst thing for mpg except for standing still), and only one mile on the freeway and the rest in city (maybe with some stops?), 24-26 mpg is not that bad IMO.

With 3 miles to/from work, that's 30 miles a week assuming 5 days per week. What kind of driving do you do for the other 100-200 miles per week? Have you tried taking it on a long (over 100 miles) highway trip at a reasonable speed (60-70 mph) to see what mpg you get? If you don't get at least mid-30s under those conditions, I'd say something is wrong with the car.
  • regularcarguyregularcarguy Member Posts: 2
    Our 2007 Hyundai Accent gets 40 percent worse mileage than it's supposed to.

Since purchasing the car in December 2006, we've averaged 16.5 mpg in the city, instead of the rated 28 mpg. I know that mileage ratings are never as promised on the sticker, but our fuel efficiency seems excessively low -- and it's consistently low.

Our Accent has 2,600 miles on it -- almost all city driving.

Two other pieces of information and questions: The dealer said that we should drive it on the highway and that would improve our city mileage. Is that correct -- that driving it at highway speeds will also improve city driving mileage? Or does that sound like a dodge, since our mileage is so much lower than it should be?

The engine's head gasket was replaced in July 2007. I'm wondering if that major repair may also be a factor in our car's low mileage (which has continued after the head gasket was replaced.) The head gasket was replaced because the check engine light came on.

How low is low when it comes to mileage on a brand new car? What should we do about this?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.
    One thing that would be helpful to know is, what was your car prior to the Accent, and what fuel economy did you get driving it in the same way? Also is your Accent an AT or stick?

All city driving can be hard on the engine long-term as it never gets to higher revs for a long period of time, to burn off deposits. But your car isn't that old.
  • forbesjforbesj Member Posts: 22
    My commute is almost the same as yours. 3 or so miles, about a mile on the highway. I almost always wind through the gears getting on the highway as quickly as reasonably possible, and there are a few traffic lights on the way, too. Now, granted, my Accent is six years older than yours, a 1.5l (not the 1.6), and a manual, but I've typically seen 30-33mpg in commuting to work, and I've always driven my cars pretty hard (I honestly beat the crap out of the Accent for 6 years, and it still runs fine). Given that the new Accent is larger, has the bigger engine, and has an auto, 27-28mpg would seem reasonable for the commute. So, you getting 26 seems to be no real surprise and within reason.

If you *really* want to see what kind of mileage your car can manage to get, this will take a couple hours but might be worth it:

drive the car around for 5-8 miles to warm it up. Fill it full with gas at your normal location (preferably same pump you might "normally" use), and then get on the highway at at time there will be no traffic. Cruise at 60mph or so, go 50 miles one way, 50 miles back, give or take a bit, and then refill at the same pump again.

If you're seeing anything under 30mpg while doing that, you either have a lead foot, or something isn't going right with the car, or you just have bad luck. I've seen 40+ out of my old Accent on a few occasions.

For comparison's sake, in my new car (Civic Si), also being driven pretty hard, I'm seeing ~27mpg or so, although I did have one tank at 23 (more city, and harder driving including some sustained time over 5k RPM with liberal applications of throttle).
  • besmithbesmith Member Posts: 13
    I've had my 07 accent hatch back 5 speed since nov. Right now I just turned 11k. I usually get 260-280 a tank, and can get 300 if i drive better and drive longer with the gas light on haha. My previous car (95 maxima auto) would go 320 on a tank doing the same drive but it had an 18.5 gallon tank) For the most part I like my accent, I do with it was faster, and had an extra gear. Its quiet on the freeway unless your going like 75+ because its spinning at 4k :( . the only problem i've had so far was my air bag lights came on and i took it to the dealer and they reset it and its been fine since.
  • trendmongertrendmonger Member Posts: 5
    We have had our 2007 GLS 4 Dour Auto w./ 15" Alloys since Novemeber and my commentary on MPG is....
    EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED.

The vehicle is primarily used 5 days a week city driving 8 Miles Each way and we are averaging between 15 & 16 MPG CITY.

The car has 5,000 miles. We have had 3 Oil Changes and will be getting the fourth next month. The tires have been maintained with 30 PSI.

We have taken a few long trips with all HWY miles. 1 500 RT. 1 300 Mi RT and several 125 Mile Round Trips. This was done a various monthly intervals where each HWY trip averaged between 30 and 32 miles per Gallon.

The car seems to be idling normally on a day to day basis and I see no reason for CTY MPG rating 50% below the estimated MPG.

if after 7,500 CTY does not improve I will pay the $100 diagnostic but i speculate after 11 months of drivign thsi vehicle is a wolf in ecenomi clothing.

I Suggest
    DO NOT BUY
    For a point of reference, CR averaged 19 mpg city in their tests. But there's no way to tell if their "city" driving was like yours. Does your 8 mile trip involve any stops and idling time? How long do you let the car warm up? If your trip involves many stops and idling, it is the proverbial "worse case scenario" for fuel economy. :(

32 mpg seems a little on the low side for a highway trip. (FWIW, CR got 37 mpg on their "highway" trips.) Were these trips purely highway miles (e.g. no stops), and what were your speeds on those trips?

What fuel economy did you get on the car you drove (on the same daily trips) before getting the Accent?
    The point of reference was Hyundai reporting 32 CTY & 36 HWY which now a year later has been changed to 28 CTY & 37 HWY.it's not that I ever expected to get 100% of the published estimates but 50 % below the published estimates for CTY millage from September 2006 is ridiculous.

As I had stated on real HWY millage while I should complain I won't for being in the 80% range of what had been published is not bad now is it. Wait I think I will change my mind I want to complain about 80%. Do I pay 100& of the total cost of ownership or 80% of it.

To be fair I was not traveling at 48 MPH I was traveling between 60 & 65. What the hell is this 48MPH testing. Who drives 48 MPH. Give us ratings based on 55 MPH so I am complaining. Hey 55 seems to be the median.

Even by what information I am seeing today the 15/16 MPG is only 55% of the estimate as currently published.

The 8 mile trip does involve stop idling time where the overall trip is done in 20 to 25 minutes averaging 30 MPH when not Stop Idling. I would estimate that there is 10 minutes of stop idling per trip.

Where you said is the car warmed up seems like rediculous 1970s hogwash. cars today idle at normal RPM within a minute during average temperatires in the spring, summer & fall so I do not see by what RPMs the engien is runnign at at idle time in some so called immaginary warm up operiod is the problem.

The HWY tests were all HWY miles at 65MPH so I am not complaining one bit on Real HWY MPG.

The car before this was a 1993 Nissan Altima where it optimally performed 22 MPG doing the same exact trip as this work trip is now going on for 20 plus years.

If our 10 minutes of Idle Time each way is some worst case scenario and this is where the real MPG is lost I view this as a Hyundai problem with Idling Fuel Millage.

Plain and simple there are 6 cylinder cars over the last 20 years that have performed better in the same scenario.

My 1990 MX6 Mazda that I owned for 10 years was better.
    The 1993 Nissan Altima that my wife drove on this same daily CTY trip for 14 years was better.

The Hyundai is a good sticker value but the Real MPG may be one of not the least realistic I have ever owned.

Even the CR test at 19MPG CTY is less than 68 % of the estimated mileage. That within itself is a 32% error in published documentation. Manufacturers should be held accountable and be held liable for financially compensating each and every customer. Some strict formal US Government test should sternly regulate this but any half educated individual should generally know the US government shows little concern for it's own people.
    First, realize these aren't Hyundai's numbers you are comparing to--they are from the U.S Government--the EPA. Hyundai is required by law to report them on the car's window sticker.

Second, let's suppose that while you are driving on your daily commute, you get 30 mpg while you are moving. That wouldn't be too bad, would it? But your trip takes 25 minutes, and 10 of that is stop/idle time. During those times, your mpg is zero. So your overall mpg for the entire trip is only 18 mpg, assuming you could get 30 mpg while the car is moving--including accelerating from the stops, during which your mpg will be far less than 30 mpg. Your actual numbers aren't too far from this estimate.

The odd part of this to me is the 32 mpg while driving 60-65 mph on the highway. That seems too low. For example, I can easily get mid 30s, even upper 30s, with a much larger Hyundai engine (2.0L, 138 hp Beta II) in a heavier car, when driving 60-65 mph without stops on the highway. That is with tire pressure between 32-35 psi (varies some with temperature), a light foot on the gas, and no other strange stuff e.g. bad weather, strong headwinds.

Here is something to try if you are so inclined. Some rental car companies have Accents (Hertz for one). You could rent one for a day or two and take it on a highway trip, and see what you get. That could tell you if the FE is typical of the Accent, or if there's something wrong with your car.

P.S. The revised EPA FE estimates for the Accent AT are 24/33. So at 32 mpg you are very close to the EPA rating for the car. But with careful driving, I've found it's possible to exceed the EPA ratings, especially the re-formulated 2008 ratings.
    The revised EPA FE estimates for the Accent AT are 24/33.

Yeah I guess this is all governmental stuff already which juts further. Plain and simple you can't trust Big Business or Goverment.

Yes my wife's trip has some idle time but whose CTY trip does not have idle time. As far as I know every CTY I have ever visited has lights and stop signs where vehicles stop. Maybe the EPA have some imaginary city where cars can travel at 25 MPH without ever stopping.

The funny thing is the 1993 Nissan Altima making the same trip with the same general traffic situation over the last 20 years obtained 22 MPG CTY during optimal performance. My wife drives Off Peak Hours with less traffic than most in the NYC area. The last year where a tuneup was necessary the Altima dropped to 17 MPG so I am not too happy that 14 year old car that needed a tune up had better gas millage than the new Accent.

It is my opinion that all these escalated estimates over the last few years is nothing more than BS to sell more cars. Governments lie to their people. We garage our vehicles. Funny thing is that 1993 Nissan Altima may very well have lasted another 10 years with the way we maintained it. We let the necessary tuneup go because we thought why spend the money when we planned on buying that Accent that should have performed close to 50% better than the old Nissan. So what did we get a new car taht gets less than a 19934 Nissan that needed a tune up. Another thing about the Hyundai Accent. At the 2005 Auto Show they had an Accent with HYBRID. We were eager to purchase that but Hyundai has failed to deliver a HYBRID. My guess is they don't want to warantee a HYBRID fro 5 Years so they scrapped as being cost prohibitive for their current consumer market. He they fooled me into beleiving 32 MPG CTY. You better believe I am not happy with 15 and 1/2 MPG CTY regardless of the 10 minute idle

Fortunately we keep our cars a long time and maintain them where they have depreciated to Zero by the time the next new car purchase comes along
    Here is adding some more data regarding what I call EPA Santa Clause Syndrome.

The city test is approximately 11 miles long and simulates a stop and go trip with an average speed of about 20 miles per hour (mph). The trip lasts 31 minutes and has 23 stops. About 18 percent of the time is spent idling (as in waiting for traffic lights). A short freeway driving segment is included in the test. The engine is initially started after being parked overnight.

So 18% of the driving is idle time. Sounds close enough to what my wifes idle time is not to get a 50% differential between EPA and between our Real World EPA.

My wife drives at most 20 to 25 minutes driving 8 miles where typically 8 to 10 minutes is idle time. She similarly has a short HWY stretch where for her it is 1 mile. She is not Mario Andretti in a Hyundai Tuscon. One day soon I will get exact numbers of idle time and start/stops and compare to this EPA.

With my wifes driving numbers being fairly close to EPA I wonder why she is 50& below last years EPA 42& below this years EPA for the same vehicle with similar driving conditions.

So in a general observation the EPA supposedly takes in account for 18% idle time. Even if my wife has a 25 % Idle Time would that make for a 50% or 42% difference in EPA and Real CTY MPG for this car.

As I said the car is maintained 100% to Hyundai recommendations. WE are getting oil/filter changes every 3 months. The RPM seems normal. There does not seem to be brake drag. Tire pressure is at the suggested 30PSI cold.

The only problem I see is government and auto manufacturers lying to the public. Wake up people Big Business and Governments lie to the people all the time.
  • jannesjannes Member Posts: 1
    I was surprised reading so many complaints about MPG. Although, I whine about mine but that's because my '94 Hyundai Excel got 42 IN TOWN, and that's just hard to beat. I bought my Accent with 25K on it & right off the bat I was getting 37 MPG in town - and I live in the mountains & have a brutal hill to climb going home. I have had trouble with the car - finally found out the speed sensors had gone out - and even then it never dipped lower than 30 MPG in town despite having all kinds of trouble shifting & sometimes not being able to get in top gears. I haven't had a chance to take a trip in it except for when it was having it's problems - and even then on the highway it got 39 MPG, despite winding through the Smokie Mtns with it's troubles. I imagine it'll crack 40 on the hwy now that it's fixed.
  • hatchbackfreakhatchbackfreak Member Posts: 8
    Same here...But I guess you're a better driver. My best was 35mpg. I got mine last March 07, I have 25,000 now! I do my change oil month. Using Mobil 1 fully synthetic on walmart, $22, Supertech Filter $3.If I got to Pepboys, just regular penzoil is about $30. I got 280 /35mpg on full tank. I usually do 85-87 mph on freeway. Yes, its 4,000 +rpm yet still get 280. Sorry to hear about your airbag. Mine has knocking sound every cold start. Dealer says, it was normal. Hmm..Do you have them? I got some e-news from my insurance about this model has rough idling on cold start. It just need ECU - reset.
    and its not what I have.
  • accentuateaccentuate Member Posts: 4
    I took a trip up to the canadian border to find out how much gas I use on the freeway. I also found some interesting information as I went up:

According to mapquest the drive should take 268.35 miles, however my odometer told me 259.8. I used 8.182 gallons of gas. If I use the mapquest mileage I get 32.79 MPG, but if I calculate it with my odo mileage I get 31.8 MPG.

Those conditions were mostly driving 65-75 MPH and for a good portion of that journey I got to sit behind a ford F-150 with a camper on the back so that did help my mileage. That was fair weather, no rain.

On the trip back mapquest says 267.62 miles, where my odo said 257.9. I used 9.655 gallons of gas, and my miles to the gallon calculated by mapquest was 27.71, and my odo calculated 26.71.

Those conditions were bad, considering I was averaging 80 MPH and it was pooring down rain, windshield wipers on full blast. Lots of times when I just had to floor it and pass semi's and trucks.

So I found out that if I average 70 MPH instead of 80, I can achieve 5 MPG better, as well as my odometer is off by about 10 miles every tank of gas (which is 1 MPG better then calculated if filling up with 10 gallons of gas).
  • radar1radar1 Member Posts: 25
    Mine is an 05 hatchback, stick shift.
    I consistently get between 34-38 US MPG. I don't count the first tank which was only 29 because the dealer filled that one and probably not to the top. My daily commute used to be 5 miles each way in rural 45 MPH zones in OK, but now is 24 miles each way in high speed traffic in GA (normally cruise with traffic at 75-80 MPH).
    Car runs great and I have had no quality issues at all in 30,000 miles.
  • litesong1litesong1 Member Posts: 39
    Three tanks have turned in 32, 32 & 30.7 MPG in mixed backroad, highway & city driving for my wife's 2 door 5 speed Accent.
    Further gas tanks following my 1/6/2008 post are 30.2, 30.9, & 29.7MPG.
    Sure hope these lowering gas MPG numbers are due to no trips other than work & temperatures getting colder. Also hopefully, ALL these low MPG numbers are due to lower energy winter mix gasoline. The MPG better not get any lower.
    I encourage every Accent owner to compile their MPG data with the gov'ts fuel economy website. Few Accent owners do compile data with fueleconomy.com

When you gather your data at that website, you get a line graph that easily compares differences in MPG that you get. With the notes you can add, you can see WHY the diffrences in your MPG are occurring, whether it be differences from cold or hot weather, low energy winter mix gasoline as opposed to high energy summer mix gasoline, A/C or no A/C, styles of driving, car mods or running changes, or gasolines. If you let your data be compared to other owners, you can see how your car is compared with similar Accents.

It really is an excellent website. Honda drivers seem to be the most users of the website. If more Accent drivers used the website, it would answer so many questions asked on this website about fuel economy.
  • katmandu2katmandu2 Member Posts: 13
    Another excellent website for keep tracking of your fuel mileage is www.GasPrices.com

There is a Fuel Log on that site that you can use.
    My wife's Accent has a v.consistent 30 to 32MPG since Dec.2007 on low energy winter mix gasoline going to work with a mix of city, country & highway driving. The last tank was 35 MPG! I think it probably was the higher energy summer mix gasoline...possibly a bit of warmer weather too. We'll see if future tanks stay close to 35MPG or return to 32 MPG.
    After posting the 35MPG tank, I was sure that it was higher energy summer mix gasoline & low energy winter mix gasoline was over. But since then, the Accent tanks have returned to the same MPG as all the other winter tanks of gas, around 30 to 31MPG. Well! :confuse: My own Dodge Caliber is not rising in MPG either, but staying roughly about where the winter tanks have been. I wonder if winter mix gas has been extended into the spring since winter weather seems to be hanging on. Or they are adding an extra dose of bio-fuel ethanol in the gas.
  • misternomisterno Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback and it has 61K miles on it. I just changed the spark plugs but wires did not have to be changed. Air filter is changed every 6 months and yet I am only getting 21mpg in the city and 33 on the highway.

I use my car in the city 99% of the time and I think 21mpg is very low considering how small and light the car is. I drive very slow and rarely have sudden accelerations, basically I am trying to hypermile.

I always took good care of my car and change the fluids and oil at the right time so why is this happening? Any suggestions?
  • radar1radar1 Member Posts: 25
    Trendmonger you make it sound like a government conspiracy and they lied to you about your Hyundai's gas mileage. Keep in mind all the EPA does is test the vehicles in a similar manner on the same test conditions. The results should be relative to each vehicle so if vehicle one gets 20 and vehicle two gets 30, then some drivers might get 10 on vehicle one and 15 on vehicle two whereas other more conservative drivers might get 25 on vehicle one and get 37 on vehicle two.
    The EPA sticker for your car based on the more accurate test reports this year show a 28 MPG average for a 2007 Hyundai and only 21 for your 93 Altima (assuming both are automatics). If you were consistently getting 21 on your Altima, and less than that on your Hyundai, then it appears there is something wrong with your individual car. Actual drivers are reporting a 27.7 average on their 2007 Accents on the EPA website, so that's pretty darn close to what the EPA is reporting.
    I'd be curious to know where you drive that the traffic has remained the same over a 20 year period, I know every road I take grows an extra stop sign every few months, or an extra traffic light that wasn't there 20 years ago, and with 3 cars per household now compared to 1 or 2 twenty years ago, there are a lot more cars on my daily drive too, all of which combine for worse fuel mileage. Fortunately, my 2005 stick shift accent still gets 37 MPG each tank, so I'm happy.
  • hdvideohdvideo Member Posts: 1
    I have no clue what all these other drivers have loaded in there hyundai accent hatchbacks? But I have a 2007 SE that I drive like an old lady on downers. I get 35 and sometimes 37 mpg. Yes you heard me correctly. I have to drive mostly up hill for 105 miles before getting on flat land when I drive back and forth to LA. I also must drive 40 miles up hill coming back and trust me that is not easy in this car.

I drive the speed limit here in CA. on hwy 5 and I drive from one house to the next with 1 luggage of video equipment of 2 FX1 video cameras and 1 tripod. I have another bag of Nikon D100 camera, 3 lens, another tripod, steadi cam (which weights 3 pounds) 6 boxes of mini dvd tapes. A 15” macbook pro with 2 ex drives and another big bag of pants, shoes etc. All of this weighing about 100 lbs. I weight 145 lbs. These bags are placed in the back seat left and right side and the other bag in the middle of the hatchback area. The laptop on the front seat. People are driving 80, 90 and way over 100 mpg on hwy 5 and they pass me up like I am standing still, but guess what, I get there at the most 5 minutes later and I don't waste gas and I get zero tickets.

I get amazing mpg becauae I do not drive 80 or 90 mph. I drive 65-70 mph period. People get a grip, this is not a benz, it is a small little city car that if driven under 70 mph you can get really good mpg. I have done this dozens of times and yes gas is much higher then it was last summer but still I get 35 and sometimes 37 mpg.

If you start to push this car over the limit by driving faster you will get 28-31 mpg. You have to drive this car how it was designed, s-l-o-w and do not push it to drive faster than it was designed. I used to own a E320 2001 and yes it had amazing power, but it was only getting 17/22 so if you drive like I do then you should get amazing mpg.

I also have the same car in Europe and get even better mpg because it is not gas it is Diesel.