Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS Audio System

kungfufikungfufi Member Posts: 5
edited October 2014 in Lexus
Has anyone used an Ipod integration kit for their IS with navigation?
I think there are a few on the market at the moment: SoundLinQ, Neo ionSP and the DICE integration kit for the IS.
Wondering if anyone has used any of these on their IS and has any recommendations.

Comments

• Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    what is the story with that AUX jack anyway? what do you need to buy to connect an ipod to the car?
  • Options
    getlexgetlex Member Posts: 3
    you can buy a connector on ebay for like 5 bucks...it plugs into the lexus and ipod and you can listen to it via the AUX on the car....you still have to control playback and skips through the actual ipod....the volume also has to be put higher - I would go with the gold plated connectors for better quality (couple bucks more)
  • Options
    truckasaurustruckasaurus Member Posts: 44
    I'm using my iPod with my '06 IS350. When I have it powered from the 12V outlet in the arm rest where the aux socket lives I get lots of electrical noise through the audio. If I disconnect the power adaptor so the iPod is powering itself it quietens down alot, but there is still a small whine that rises and falls in frequency in time to the engine revs. I'm using a Belkin power adaptor and Radioshack audio lead.
    Any one else getting this?
  • Options
    maxidrivemaxidrive Member Posts: 70
    I didn't notice any interferences with the same setup I have in my IS 350.
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    while under its own power seems pretty clean.
    owners manual says you may get feedback when using cars power, but i have never tried it.
    maybe cable is no good?
  • Options
    yellowcaryellowcar Member Posts: 46
    This is a common problem when using vehicle power to a audio device. You will need to add a device called a ground loop isolator into the audio circuit. It will have RCA plugs for input and output. Check RadioShack, Best Buy, or other electonics sources. Easy to find!
  • Options
    moniemonie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 IS 300 and want to install an ipod. Which one is better or does it matter? SoundLinQ, Neo ionSP and the DICE? Is it complicated or can I do it myself?
  • Options
    truckasaurustruckasaurus Member Posts: 44
    Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the ground loop isolator.

Anyone getting the whine in time to the engine revs when the iPod is under its own power?
  • Options
    myis350myis350 Member Posts: 1
    I tried to connect my iPod (5th gen) to AUX in 06 Lexus IS 350. iPod worked OK but no volume through Audio. Nav display just said NO CD! Any suggestions?
  • Options
    md_rocksmd_rocks Member Posts: 41
    The "aux" is a separate input that I think the stereo thinks is discrete. It's more like "disc 7" in your 6 CD changer. I have to hit the "mode" button on my steering wheel to switch into aux input if I'm listening to a CD.

I'm not sure this helps as I don't have navi.
  • Options
    jerry kjerry k Member Posts: 45
    Since it is virtually impossible to get the Levinson radio in a IS 250 in So. Cal - I was wondering if there was a major difference between the factory installed radio and the Levinson upgrade?

Also, has anyone had XM dealer installed and, if so, do you recommend it?
  • Options
    jerry kjerry k Member Posts: 45
    Let me try this another way: I wound up not getting XM when I picked up my car - I was just wondering if anyone has installed the Lexus XM after having the car and also wondering if it needs to be done by a Lexus Dealer.
  • Options
    scuba077scuba077 Member Posts: 9
    Hi..what type of connectors on each end of cable ? are they the 2.5MM sim to headphone connectors ? thanks in advance
  • Options
    herbym985herbym985 Member Posts: 2
    i have a question i just got my lexus is350 one week ago and i want to get the XM radio installed in my car but i dont want to pay $800 from the dealer
    the last ting i want to do is get an external XM recive and antenna please help

i want it to work with my NAV screen and my stearing wheel

DOES ANYONE KNOW A BETTER WAY TO GET XM RADIO IN MY 07 is350?????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    newlexus555newlexus555 Member Posts: 1
    2nd that. Anyone know how to get Satellite radio without letting the deal screw you?????
  • Options
    souji3souji3 Member Posts: 9
    What you guys think? worth the extra money? or is stock good enough?
  • Options
    kgk3kgk3 Member Posts: 19
    I'd go with the ML. The stock radio is good but not great.

Also, the XM radio which I had installed by the dealer SUCKS. It sounds like an internet radio broadcast. Brought it in 4 times, but they were no help and XM just was going down the algorithms. Their customer service is completely worthless. I'm not happy considering it cost $800. "Near CD quality" is a load of c--p!

Hope this helps...
  • Options
    applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    Since it is virtually impossible to get the Levinson radio in a IS 250 here - I was wondering if there was a major difference between the factory installed radio and the Levinson upgrade?

Also, has anyone had XM dealer installed and, if so, do you recommend it?
  • Options
    psylentstormpsylentstorm Member Posts: 1
    Sorry this wont be of too much help, but I got the levinson upgrade... but i havent rode in a IS without it, i cant really tell you the difference.

I play the iPod using the aux port, but like everyone else with or without levinson, you have to increase volume on either the iPod or car, or both. I just ordered the Belkin Auto Kit, which lets you play the iPod through the dock connector, NOT the headphone jack. suppossedly this will improve quality.
  • Options
    newbuyer2008newbuyer2008 Member Posts: 10
    Hi - I just got the 2008 IS 250 with Prem + Nav and the basic radio. I was under the impression that when I loaded the CD, I would be able to see the title of the album and the track names. I cannot see either. Do I need to do something to make this feature work? I am using real - original CD's, not copies or homemade or anything like that.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    lowrdison20slowrdison20s Member Posts: 5
    i have mine connected and it sounds great or as good as the song is in the ipod for instance cd will sound cd quality mp3 downloaded from net not too good depends on how much of an audio frek you are my sounds great but the deal is u must get the best cable to connect it to the sound is only as good as its sourse monster cable connector shoul be pretty good let me know
  • Options
    hi jerry no you dont need to pay the stealership for this you can do this your self in an hour or so there is instructions with pics on the club lexus website just ge there and im sure you http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297124will find a post on how to install it
  • Options
    i havent heard them side by side but i know that the ml system has a center channel regular system dosent plus the eq in the ml system is different so it makes it sound alot better it might have a little more power too im not sure on that but basicly its the digital sound processing in the ml amplifier that makes it sound better
  • Options
    1260112601 Member Posts: 10
    My 2008 IS 250 RWD was afflicted by the feedback problem when my MP3 player was plugged into the aux jack and simultaneously plugged into the power outlet next to it or to the cigarette lighter. Also happened if any other accessory, i.e., cell phone was plugged in for charging. There is a TSB for this problem. The car was in for 5000 maintenance and I mentioned this to the service tech who said he had not heard of this issue before. I doubt that. Anyway, they fixed the problem, n/c of course. They also did the brake pad TSB. Anyone else have this feedback issue?
  • Options
    mshawnmshawn Member Posts: 1
    There is a default area on the nav screen that shows music CD titles, but does not work. Dealer says this feature is not available on "entry level" models. Then why would this screen indicate this? $47K entry level? other manf. cars have this feature on "entry level" models. Does anyone know if this can be unlocked or hardware update added to make this feature function? THanks in advance. Otherwise, car is very nice.
  • Options
    DirtywaterDirtywater Member Posts: 8
    I have the 250 with the basic audio. Instead of getting the XM through the dealer (quotes between 750-1200) I bought the unit from a Lexus dealer and installed it myself for $300. I am not good with that kind of stuff, but it was pretty easy. I think it sounds pretty good.

A far as the NAV showing the Artist/Song, etc., I find that it does not do it for normal CD's, only with mp3 CD's. The mp3's have metadata in their tags which is how the NAV unit reads it for display. I don't think (I could be wrong) that regular pressed CD's have that metadata in the tracks.
  • Options
    gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    I'm looking o buy a used 2007 or 2008 with nav. Are thes equipped with ipod interace (USB)?
  • Options
    trmartellatrmartella Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Lexus IS 250 with tech package (Navi). When using XM radio the screen shows 6 channels that you may choose from. It does not show the song title or the singers name without touching the "text" switch in the lower left corner. I find myself toggling back and forth between the two screens. My Acura shows all the information on one screen. The FM screen on the IS, shows the six channels and scrolls the song/singer across the top of the screen. Anyone know of a fix for this problem.
This discussion has been closed.