Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• Options
    heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    jgmilberg: The switch for the sunroof was not installed in the same location as the factory switch. I was somewhat surprised they didn't use the same location, although there must be some reason since the other aftermarket installation also used a different location.

Specifically, my switch was centered under the control panel above the rear view mirror (centered). Not a bad location although the switch is not readily visible since it is underneath the upper control panel.

The although installation I saw had the switch on the side of the upper control panel facing the driver visor. Not sure why they didn't install in the original factory position, however I would now request that location if I had to do over again, unless there is an electrical or space configuration that prevents that position.
  • Options
    vendingvending Member Posts: 14
    Could somebody tell me what to expect in terms of gas mileage for the:
    8.1 liter in and out of town
    and/or
    6 liter in and out of town

thanks
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I get about 14.5-15 in the city and have not been on a road trip yet to figure out the highway mileage, a friend has a Silverado 6.0L with a cap and he says to expect about 17 highway. I saw postings on the GMC yukonxl/Chevy Suburban page about the 8.1 L. Don't quote me on this but I think they were claiming 11 MPG city, but my dealer said he was only getting 9 MPG city on his demo.
  • Options
    conundrum35conundrum35 Member Posts: 3
    1. GM can't or won't fix the cold air problem on the passenger side. What happened to quality control GM?

2. Doesn't use high intensity beams. Once you've used them nothing less will suffice. I first tried them on my Jeep Cherokee and I could hardly believe my eyes. The road lit up like it was daytime for at least 100 yards.

3. Climate control is analog instead of digital readout and is single not dual. Temperature control uses a thermocouple instead of infrared. This is 40 year old technology, in a $40,000+ vehicle.

4. No reading lights for the 3rd seat.
  • Options
    drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    conundrum35,

I already own a 2001 Yukon XL Denali, so my opinion is biased. I think your comments (except #1) will convince people to buy the Denali! You obviously have a very keen eye for detail, and if those are the only reasons you have for not buying a Denali, then GM has done an excellent job. #1 is a real problem. #2 and #4 are an easy fix (Did you Jeep come with high discharge lamps... No). #3 may be true, but it works great! How can you argue with that?

I picked my Denali up in Northern Idaho, and by the time I reached Bozeman Montana, it was -13F. The interior temp was an even 72F front and back with the system on full auto. This is when I noticed the cold air up front on the passenger feet. I WILL fix this myself if GM won't!

The next morning it was -15F and the Denali started up like it was 70F. You will be amazed how fast it heats up (seats are amazingly fast).

Long story longer, you can easily find a reason (as nit picky as the thermocouple) to convince yourself not to buy ANY SUV on the market. But hey, I would be disappointed if we did not have the choice of an Excursion, Sequoia, or ?????. I wish you success in finding the SUV that does meet your needs (and wants). The Denali is an amazing ride IMHO...

Dave
  • Options
    dapetrundapetrun Member Posts: 15
    Can any Florida residents inform me if there are additional options offered reigionally? I'm thinking along the lines of extra dark tinted windows that you cannot buy in the northern states. Also, while I'm thinking about it, Florida doesn't have any state tax so buying in FL and later transferring into home state may have an added benefit. Comments anyone? Pro or con appreciated.
  • Options
    comments... Why yes, I would make up the tax savings in gas driving to Utah :) My heavy foot gets 12.2mpg city, and 14.2mpg highway :(

I keep hearing people are getting 16mpg? At what speeds are these numbers coming from, and do you all live in Florida like dapetrun where a mountain is only 50ft above sea level (no offense).

Dave
  • Options
    dapetrundapetrun Member Posts: 15
    @ 6% tax rate on a $40K vehicle that would be a savings of $2400. I can drive much further than Florida or Utah for that kind of savings. I can't believe anyone wanting to own an SUV like the Denali is going to be concerned about the MPG it gets. Perhaps you should consider the Honda hybrid gas/electric vehicle. I hear it gets excellent MPG. (no offense, either). PS I live in Pennsylvania @1253' ASL.
  • Options
    Suggest anyone experiencing the cold air draft from under the glove box passenger side contact GMC at 1 800 462 8782. Give them your name , address and telephone number and they will give you a reference number and get back to you when there is an solution to include a recall to fix problem.
  • Options
    I have a 2001 Yukon XL and wanted to add a cd changer to it. I want to have it "linked" to the radio, meaning no RF modulator and extra controller. I have sen posts on another page and will re-post them to here to aid anyone else in this endeavor. I just want to see if there are any other success/horror stories. I have gone to everyone and ran into a bunch of red tape, and found no useful information. Cody17 has had the only good news I have found to date.
  • Options
    These are three separate posts put together, to help keep from searching for all the posts in other topics.

After no luck with two GMC dealerships, GMC Customer Service, or Delplhi
    Delco Electronics web site, I successfully had a mult-disc changer
    installed in my 2001 Yukon that did not require disabling ONSTAR and
    works with the radio controls. Previously I was told that only an FM
    modulator CD player would work or I would have to disable ONSTAR for a
    linked version. No one seemed to have the proper cables or knowledge.
    What a relief to finally have a 12 disc changer!!

I had the work done at Rickwood Audio in Nashville, TN. Everything still
    works: in-dash CD, auxilliary cassette player, ONSTAR, and is controlled
    by the buttons on the radio. The 12 disc player is mounted under the
    second row seat behind the driver in front of the jack handle storage
    area. It's a Pioneer made for Delco. It's covered by the car's warranty
    once it's installed. It works great! Good luck with yours.

The cd/aux button switches between the cd in the dash and the cd
    changer. The same button will switch between the cassette player andthe
    cd changer. You can have something sitting in all three places and use
    the cd/aux button to select what you want to play. By freshly inserting
    an item into the dash units, they are given priority over the changer. I
    don't know if that's clear or not.
    Rickwood's number is 615-889-3270 or (800-423-4142). I have a 2001 Yukon
    SLT. I imagine we have the same radio, but I'm not certain. The one I
    have has a cd in the radio and an auxilliary cassette player down in the
    console area. When you talk to Rickwood, I'm certain they'll be able to
    tell you what will work. It only took them about an hour to do the
    installation on mine. I hope this helps you.
  • Options
    How do you switch discs in the changer? My radio has things on the buttons like #1 has PREV, #2 has RDM, #3 has NEXT, #4 has REV, and #6 has FWD. On the tape deck there is just PRG and EJECT. Was just wondering.
    Do you know if Rickwood is open on Saturday?
  • Options
    paulolexapaulolexa Member Posts: 4
    There is no avoiding the tax man. If you purchase the vehicle in Florida, when you register it in your home state you will have to pay the sales tax of your home state to get it registered. This prevents people from crossing state lines to take advantage of a lower sales tax rate.
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    crutchfield has several series of adapters and "sorta really like OEM" CD changers for sale with all kinds of advice pre-sale. www.crutchfield.com or 888-955-6000 if you don't have serious car audio stores nearby.
  • Options
    bmoss1bmoss1 Member Posts: 3
    Heatwave (or anyone else): We're trying to choose between the YXL 3/4 ton and the Denali XL. Do you think the Denali w/ 3.73 will adequately pull a 6000 lb travel trailer up grades? (We currently have a 94 2500 Burb w/454.) And how would you distinguish the ride difference between the new 3/4 YXL w/autoride and Denali XL?
  • Options
    mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    We have a 2001 Denali XL, & have come from a 454 Suburban & am quite impressed by the power of the 6.0. The Denali's ride is superb, much better than I anticipated, firm enough to provide roll resistance & offer control in cornering, yet it absorbs bumps that would jar your teeth in the previous Sub. I always thought the ride in the 3/4 ton Sub was OK, but the Denali is truly on another plane. I think you will be satisfied with the 6.0, try it out & see.
  • Options
    chaworth1chaworth1 Member Posts: 2
    We looked at every GM 4 wd suv from a 1/2 ton Tahoe to a Yukon XL. I liked the Denali in both lengths but decided to drive a 3/4 ton 4wd model before buying as it was the only unit we had not driven ( many times I might add ). I thought the 6 litre was a pretty good candidate but was concerned with torque as we plan on pulling a race car / trailer/ spares ( 6000-7000 lbs )I found a dealer that had just gotten in a Yukon XL 4wd with a 8.1 engine. We drove it on a pre laid out course we had come up with through town, up grades, through city streets, and on the local freeways. We then proceeded to drive both Denalis on the same course immediately, then we drove the 8.1 again and I had absolutely no choice but buy the 8.1. I have owned 11 big block powered trucks from both Chevrolet and Ford and this new generation big block blows them all away. The XL is a Denali on steroids. It doesnt have as much of the yuppie trim either, has a true 4wd system (which by the way is basically the same as the Denali's when " auto " is selected, per GM ), has a better looking grille, pulls bigger loads SAFER, and will leave a Denali ( along with most other vehicles ) behind on any grade, all while realizing 10 - 13 miles per gallon!! The only limiting detail vs a Denali is you do not have as many choices of wheels to install if so inclined,and perhaps the Denali might have a slight edge through the tight twisties, which should be the least of your concerns when buying a true SUV. Sorry to all who bought a Denali who plan on pulling sizable loads, there is a better choice!!!
  • Options
    mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    There is a superior pulling engine, it is the Diesel, an excellent engine for pulling truly heavy loads. Of course the 8.1 is also spectacular. For those of us who tow seldom, & then less than 5K #'s the Denali is perfect. I have found no more attractive SUV than the Denali XL in my opinion. The 3/4 ton XL is good looking as well, but no match for the Denali package.
  • Options
    "And how would you distinguish the ride difference between the new 3/4 YXL w/autoride and Denali XL?"

The 3/4 ton had a tendency to wheel hop during corners on a washboard road. The leaf spring rear suspension on the 3/4 ton YXL did not perform nearly as well as the coils in the rear on the 1/2 ton models with autoride (std on Denalis) when it came down to comfort.

The debate about real towing power seems to be a non-issue. Anyone with 10 minutes to spare and a Yukon brochure will realize that the Denali is NOT a HD towing machine. GMC Marketing was not aiming at people towing 30+ foot trailers weighing 10,000lbs. I am only towing a 6500lb trailer, and it really has no trouble at all.

Ask yourself, "Self, how heavy is my trailer?"... The rest would seem to pan out from there. Don't try towing your 8000+ lb trailer with a Denali, and think you will be passing up hill! Personally I love the Yuppie interior :)

Dave

PS. I definitely did not buy the Denali with "too" much concern about mileage, I just wanted to know how the others here were getting the 16+ mpg ?
  • Options
    drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    I TOOK DELIVERY OF MY NEW DENALI XL LAST MONTH. A BEAUTIFUL GARNET RED METALLIC WITH NEUTRAL INTERIOR. SO FAR, I' TOTALLY SATISFIED, WHAT A GREAT RIDE!! THE ONLY MINOR PROBLEM IS THAT THE DRIVERS' OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR (AUTO DIMMING) HAS A DISTURBING BLURRY DOUBLE IMAGE, MOST NOTICEABLE AT NIGHTTIME - A REAL DRAG WHEN MERGING INTO TRAFFIC. DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THIS, I' THINKING OF VISITING THE DEALER.
  • Options
    dpreston2dpreston2 Member Posts: 2
    Received my Yukon AL ST 3/4 4WD about a month ago. Looks good and runs great, but after I got it home I noticed it did not have the auto climate control (I purchased a sunroof) in the front. The dealer tells me CM has the right to change option packages and this is how they are producing the 1SD package now. He is offering an extended warranty to compensate and says it is almost impossible to install the auto climate control after manufacture. Does anyone have some info or advice?

On a separate matter, I had ordered a remote start system for the truck, but the dealer advised against installation as his experience has been that they interfere with the inboard computer. Again, anyone have some info/advice? Thanks.
  • Options
    The aftermarket alarms and remote starters have a work around module.. This will not void your warranty, or interfere with your onboard computer. I would check with your local police dept., to see if there is an ordinance pertaining to an "unmanned" running car. Some cities in my area have them and do give tickets frequently, especially in parking lots.
  • Options
    According to GMC the reason given was that this is part of the astro ventilation system which is supposed to prevent the build up of CO2 in passenger compartment. Duh. I have a GMC G20 van with half the engine in the passenger compartment without any cold air coming in and have never had any symptoms of CO2 poisoning.

I hope that when you pass out at 75MPH you don't plow head on into another vehicle also doing 75.

Unsafe at any price.
  • Options
    dpreston2,

I'm sorry that you missed the 1000's (literally) of posts about this problem during the last year I have been reading at Edmunds.

When GM sent out the 2001 "Dealer only" literature, it mentioned that you would now be able to get the auto-climate control with the sunroof (unlike the 2000's). This NEVER happened and GM has it's collective thumb up its bum. Maybe they think the system will go whacco?

Trying to install the auto system after the fact would be a very difficult install due to the sensors and the cost would be prohibitive.

The auto system and rear controls for the 2nd row were more important than the industry's smallest sunroof to me, hence I passed on the option...

Dave
  • Options
    What a lame design?

I guess I will stuff a pillow in it :)

Did they make any mention of deflecting it up or away from the passengers feet? Surely there must be way to slow it down or redirect it?

Dave
  • Options
    marshiedadmarshiedad Member Posts: 3
    It is a well known problem with these vibrating outside mirrors !! My 93 & 99 Suburban both exhibit vibrations, as a matter of fact, the dealer just placed an order for me for a new mirror under warranty today.
  • Options
    I think the real reason is the controls for the rear are deleted is because they are in the full length overhead console. With the fully loaded option pkg you can only get the full length overhead. I know you can get the short console in less endowed versions of the Yukon/XL/Tahoe/Suburban, and it has 2 "pods" for the controls. It is probably the general trying to save a buck through standardization. I know I have read posts by heatwave3 that he successfuly had a sunroof installed aftermarket and maintained the rear heat and auto climate controls, but to date it is the only way I know of to keep them.
  • Options
    schreiber2schreiber2 Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery of my new Denali. Vehicle is great. Do not like the Black Cherry trim. Is there any aftermarket company which offers a conversion to the more traditional rosewood or burlwood trim kits. I've done a brief search and can not locate any manufacterers which offer this.
    Thanks
  • Options
    I am not sure about aftermarket but I think a wood trim kit for a Silverado/Sierra truck should fit. You could also check your dealer. The Denali with neutral(tan) interior has regular wood trim. Just a side note, the Escalade has wood trim on it also but the dash ring is different for the placement of the on star buttons. In either event from the dealer you would have to buy the whole dash ring and door switch assemblies, they can't get just the "covers"
  • Options
    There is also a wood trim page under aftermarket & accessories topic on edmunds. Check that out and see if there is anyone else with some other ideas. From what I looked up on my own you're looking at around $350-$400 to get the kit. I just thought about it and the truck kit will not work for you because the drivers door has 4 window buttons + the window lock button. You will need a kit for the Yukon 4 door or Yukon XL. Sorry about the previous misinformation.
  • Options
    Just a side note. About a month ago, several people here concluded that the trim was "real wood". It takes about a 1/4 second and one eye to see the trim is plastic!

jgmilberg, you mentioned "The Denali with neutral(tan) interior has regular wood trim." I do not believe this is true. I heard here they were the same (my XL Denali has the gray interior), and sat in a tan interior Denali XL that had the black wood (plastic). The GMC web page of the colors even shows this if you look close.

Dave
  • Options
    andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    The Denali wood is fake according to the Yukon Brand manager.
  • Options
    I sat in one at the detroit auto show and would almost swear that is was burl wood in the tan interior. I am going to stop by my dealer to find out about a Envoy for my wife and will check it out. I may be wrong. Looked at the web site and it looks like "grey wood" in both. If it is it would really look kinda goofy with the tan interior, I think the burl wood looks better in the tan.
  • Options
    londonfinlondonfin Member Posts: 31
    Anyone have any thoughts on a reasonable price for the Denali in the current market. I'm looking at the "regular" Denali not the XL and the only option I'd want is sunroof. Looking in New England area.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Aren't there any of the invoice dealers near you. I picked mine up 3 weeks ago for inv+$150, and I have even heard of others getting them for below invoice! Here in the Salt Lake area, we have about 7 seven dealerships and there wasn't one who would order me an XL Denali for less then MSRP. SO I ordered mine from Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho and my wife and I flew up to get it. After gas, flight, food, and a 1 night stay, it cost me less than $400 to pick it up over a weekend. You may have to go farther and spend a bit more, but I saved $6000 compared to others who bought one in Salt Lake. In fact, I spent about the same as others spent on a loaded Yukon XL in SLC.

Dave

PS. It is broken in by the time you get home :)
  • Options
    "...it looks like "grey wood" in both. If it is it would really look kinda goofy with the tan interior..."

This is exactly what someone else here at edmunds said, and they actually saw a tan with black wood interior in person. I wanted tan, and my wife wanted gray.... I really like the gray (this comes from someone whose 4 previous vehicles had the tan).

Dave
  • Options
    mzuendelmzuendel Member Posts: 1
    Received my 2001 denali one month ago and noticed it had a whine upon light acceleration, which got much worse after 500 miles. To make a long story short the dealer has replaced the ring and pinion gears which did not solve the problem and now we are waiting on parts to replace the entire front differential,, not what i expected from a $50,000 vehicle with 1000 miles on it. has anybody else had similar problems?? also the wood definitely is plastic and it comes in one ugly gray-brown-dark sort of color. other than that the car is great
  • Options
    Been out of town for a while and just got back. Long post to catch-up.

bmoss1: The '01 Denali XL has a 6.0L, 3.73 rear, 320hp and 365 ft. lbs. of torque with a tow capacity of 8400lbs compared to the '92 2500 Suburban with 7.4L, 4.10 rear, 230hp and 385 ft lbs of torque and a tow capacity of 10,000lbs.

The '01 3/4 ton 4wd comes in 4 variations: 8.1L, 4.10, 12,000lbs; 8.1L, 3.73, 10,500lbs; 6.0L, 4.10 10,000lbs; 6.0L, 3.73, 8,000lbs

I traded the '92 Sub in on the '01 DXL in January. The ride differences are like night and day. Didn't compare the new 3/4 ton to the old one, but I am sure there is a significant improvement. The 3/4 ton however, will always have a "bouncier" ride than the 1/2 ton due to the leaf springs in the rear. This is particularly true when the rear suspension is unsprung (no load).

The whole point of the leaf spring suspension is to provide for a greater loading on the rear suspension than a coil and shock setup could provide. The combination of the 4.10 rear with leaf springs (and the xtra torque of the 7.4L) are the reasons my '92 3/4 ton had a greater tow capacity even though the new DXL has greater hp.

In the end, I traded the xtra 1600 lbs tow capacity for the greater comfort of the 1/2 ton suspension in the DXL. BTW, for those with the 8.1L and 4.10 rear, where do you find a tow bar and ball with a 12,000 lb rating? The largest I have seen in catalogs is 10,000lbs.

If you have a heavy load that will be routinely towed, there is no match for the 3/4 ton Sub or YXL with 8.1L and 4.10 rear (literally, since no other non-commercial vehicle with 4 wheels can tow more than 12,000lbs). You just have to expect a bouncier ride compared to a current 1/2 ton.

It really comes down to the size of your tow package versus how comfortable you want to be when not towing. I had an 85' 3/4 ton Sub and a 92' 3/4 Sub before the '01 DXL. All were great vehicles and each was better than the next. I just wouldn't trade the comfort of the 1/2 ton for the 3/4 ton unless I had to. Maybe I'm just getting soft after alot of years of towing.

While I have not towed yet with the DXL (waiting for boating season) I am expecting similar and hoping for better tow performance out of the DXL than my '92 SUB. Additionally, the DXL has its own transmission which is heavier duty than the 1500 but not to the same level as the 2500. In my view, unless you have a major tow package, the DXL's tow capacity is in the "sweet spot".

Additionally, while the radio has nothing to do with towing (other than making the miles pass easier), you would never go back to the standard radio in a Yukon once you have heard the Bose in the Denali. It really is tremendous and has steering wheel controls not available in the Yukon or Sub. My comparison is with the sound system in my BMW 740iL which also has a really good sound system.

The Denali's come with a separate rear pod for the rear climate controls when it is ordered without the sunroof. With an aftermarket sunroof they simply reinstall the same pod with controls in approximately the same location. The ASC sunroof I had installed is the exact same sunroof (same dimensions) as the one installed from the factory. Cost about $200 more than factory list.

No, I haven't had "cold feet" syndrome in the front passenger floor area. I have front and rear climate control set-up.

I have had no problem with the tranny and no whining.

I agree with those posts on the interior fake wood. I really like the truck, however the plastic wood has got to go. It sucks and I plan on replacing it this Spring. If anyone gets ahead of me on this project I would be interested in what kit you install.

Can't really speak to pricing since I bought my DXL under the GMS Supplier program for about $100 under factory invoice.

Finally, has anyone heard if they have redesigned the Catch-all mats to accomodate the larger center console in the DXL vs YXL? Has anyone installed mud-flaps/splash guards on the rear of their DXL? If so, what did you install?
  • Options
    bkosaianhbkosaianh Member Posts: 17
    In reference to catch all mats for 01 Denali. I am now a expert in this area. After purchasing truck went straight to local after market shop to buy mats. After (2) attempts of Yukon & Suburban mats (which dont fit) I contacted Catch-All direct and found that they just released mats for Denali. They gave me the part # and the local warehouse had them in stock. I can't tell you how pleased I am with the fit. The 3rd seat\cargo area mat fits perfect with cut-outs for the removable third seat. I have not yet received the bill..... but I know there not cheap. To contact catch-all type www.niftyproducts.com
  • Options
    Just wanted to say hey. Couple people had questions about the DXL and I referenced you, so keep your eyes open for questions. Looks like you found a lot of them, I sent them to this page to ask. Hope your trip went well. BTW did you take the DXL? How was it on the open road if you did?

Your trans is the same as mine, in the Yukon XL, 4L80E, basically a TH400 with overdrive and a ton of electronics. It is the only trans that GM will put behind that motor. With the exception of the coming 5 speed auto from Allison. Your computer controls I believe are programmed for really soft almost un-noticable shifts, but the main guts and parts are identical.

I also believe that your engine and mine are the same as the Escalade, just uses a different PCM. I am checking into that with my uncle at the tech center, will keep you posted.

Are you sure about the overhead console? I have seen 6 different ones at my dealer and they all had the full overhead console, from the front controls just above the rear view mirror all the way to the back rear heat/air controls. All the ones with sunroofs had no rear controls, and the dealer said if I wanted a roof installed they would change the overhead consoles to the short front one and the "pod" for the rear, and that the roof installer orders them from the dealer as Yukon parts. It is just a plastic shell the stuff bolts into and gets re-mounted. They take them right to ASC, and that's who installs them. It still may be an option to get the long or short overhead consoles, and if that is the case maybe yours had the short one. If I remember you said you did not see the truck prior to the roof install, so..
  • Options
    jjorgensenjjorgensen Member Posts: 6
    jorgensen: I had configured my Denali under Webcarbook thur my Nationwide membership, I was surprised at how accurate it was, almost to the penny without destination charges $765. I had read about everything at edmonds and was ready to hit my dealerships. The morning I arrived at Scholfield in Wichita, Ks they had just recieved a Denali from Minn. in trade for a 3/4 ton Yukon XL, Garnett Red, The block heater was the only extra i hadn,t configured in my car. I bought the car for $700 over invoice $44,900. I had a price through Nationwide, a factory direct purchase, of $44,200, Invoice, but I would have an estimated 10 week wait. I got to drive this car and it was perfect, so I took the bird in hand. I want a 6 year $100,000 mile extended warranty, My dealer price was $1,800 with CNA, My Nationwide price was $1,200 with Encore, I need to spend a little more time to match terms, however they are both transferable and appear to be identical. Does anyone else have some experiance with the extended Warranty???
  • Options
    londonfinlondonfin Member Posts: 31
    I'm trying to decide if the Denali is worth the $4,000-$5000 extra over a fully loaded Yukon SLT. I plan to mostly on-road driving (I hope!) with the exception of some beach driving. We get a fair amount of snow/ice (Mass.) and the idea of AWD does sound good most of the time, but I would give up true 4WD. Does this really matter? Also are there real differences other than that or is mostly cosmetic? Both engines give me the feeling of good power and I don't think I'll do any serious towing.

Thanks, Jack
  • Options
    jgmilberg: thanks for the welcome back. Unfortunately the DXL sat in the garage on this trip. Business to sunny Florida.

Actually, the transmissions are different in the 1/2 ton YXL/Sub, the Denali XL w/ 6.0L and the 3/4 ton YXL with either the 6.0L or the 8.1L.

All 1/2 Yukons/Subs have the 4L60-E (also called the M30), both Denali's and the Escalade have the 4L60E-HD (Heavy Duty) which is a more robust tranny to accomodate the 6.0L together with the special arrangement for the AWD, which isn't available in the 1/2 ton subs and Yukons.

All 3/4 tons have the 4L80-E (also called the MT1), which is even heavier duty than the 4L60-HD. The 6.0L engine is basically the same in the 3/4 ton Yuk/Sub, Denali and Escalade, however in each application they have a different HP rating due to different intake and exhaust manifold arrangements.

The 6.0L in the 3/4 ton has 315hp and 365ft/lbs, the Denali is rated at 320hp and 365ft/lbs and the Escalade has 345hp (5hp more than the 8.1L) and 380ft/lbs (the 8.1L is the grandaddy of torque with 455ft/lbs which is more the Fords 10 cylinder...nothing matches cubic inches for torque with the possible exception of supercharging. However, that's another story. I installed a B&M 174 supercharger myself on a 454 Chevy in my boat and there's absolutely nothing that compares to cubic inches COMBINED with supercharging).

I am sure on the ceiling controls. You need to ask to see a fully loaded Sub or Yukon XL with both rear and front "climate control" and no sunroof. Or ask to see a Denali (XL) with no sunroof and then you'll be able to see the pods and controls that are used.

I didn't see my truck before I had the sunroof installed however the dealer showed me a regular Denali before mine was shipped in. That Denali had no sunroof and had the pod with the rear climate controls. The dealer explained that is the same configuration that a DXL comes with when the sunroof is not ordered.

jjorgenson: I ordered a 6yr/75,000 mile, $100 ded, GM Major Guard warranty from the dealer (GMS-Supplier) for $1500 which was better than I could find on the internet. I didn't want to deal with the hassles of a third party warranty for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks, so I stayed with GM.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    On the Major Guard, do you know how much more it would've cost to get a ZERO deductible?
  • Options
    I did see a Denali XL with dual auto climate control, and no sunroof. It had a full length console with the sunglass holder,cd holder(only holds 3 cd's), and tissue box compartment in it. Like I said it had the main control for the rear in the front above the mirror, then the homelink and three compartments, then the dome lights then the rear controls. The full lenght, or I think the dealer calls it an extended overhead may still be and option on the Denali. My salesman was not in on Friday for me to ask about it. But I did test drive a Denail XL w/full overhead and dual auto climate controls. Does yours still have the front controls for the rear? The fron overrides the rear I think but am not sure. Like if you don't want it on you can turn it off in the front w/o turning around or messing around with the rear controls. I don't know because I dont have the pod in the back w/ the controls, because of he factory roof. I do agree that the General should have made it available w/sunroof option, you do pay a lot for the roof. If the aftermarket can do it once it is built, it should be easier to do in the build process. They would probably want to charge extra for it anyway. GM doesn't stand for Generous Motors.

I am going to stop by ASC to find out about a controller that will auto close the roof when the ignition is turned off. Will keep you posted as to what can/can't be done. Really want that feature, only used the roof once and know I will leave it open if I am in a hurry to get somewhere.

As for the trans, I have a 3/4 ton 6.0L and the 4L80E trans. I did not know of a HD variant of the 4L60E. Learn something new everyday! Thanks.

What is the top speed on your boat?! What type of boat is it- size,cabin,ect..
  • Options
    Now I'm confused. I wonder if the factory is putting out different versions for the ceiling consoles based on whats in the parts bin? The full length ceiling console is not an available option on the Denali that I am aware of. In fact even the Denali literature shows the short version front console without the sunroof.

I have the controls on the dash for the front climate control, a second set of controls above the rear view mirror that has the lockout feature to deactivate the climate controls on the rear pod. And then, the rear climate controls are duplicated in the stand alone climate control pod accessible to the second row passengers.

BTW, the boat is a Stingray cuddy cabin with the 454HD (roller timing chain, roller rockers, 4 bolt main, custom Holley, the B&M 174 Blower and lots of other "goodies"). The boat does 82mph which is a wild ride in a 26' boat with only the last 12" of the boat actually in the water.

obyone: I don't recall the GM Major Guard warranty for the $0 deductible exactly, however I think it was $250-300 more than the $100 deductible. I believe the thinking is that with a $0 deductible it will take approximately 3 additional repairs to pay off the additional upfront premium for the higher priced policy versus the $100 ded policy.
  • Options
    nrossinrossi Member Posts: 47
    Hello all. I am shopping for a new Denali, can you give me an idea of what a good deal is on a lease? If you could give me figures for - 1 monthly payments, 2 down payment, 3 cap cost, 4 money factor (annual rate) - I would really appreciate it. Any other info you think would be useful would also be great.

Thanks
  • Options
    Maybe my dealer was installing them after they got them. They had 6 when I test drove one w/o the roof. They had 2 with factory sunroof and 4 w/o. All 4 w/o had the long console. The Denali XL brochure I have is for a 2001, and on page 4, I found the only picture of the roof console, and if you look between the map lights there is the switch for the roof. This may be the cause of the confusion. Sounds like a real handful of a boat you have there too! Is it an inboard or an I/O?
  • Options
    I was just looking at the Denali brochure and realized once again I may have misled some of you. The wood trim kits for the Yukon XL will fit, but it will not come with the part to go over the console between the seats. The Caddy one won't work either because the whole section that is like brushed aluminum is wood grain, and the outer "ring" is just plain plastic. On the Denali/XL the "ring" is covered in the wood trim. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution to the problem shortly. The wood trim kit for the Yukon XL will fit and will change the look dramatically but I am not sure how it will look with the center being the original gray wood color. The other option might be going to a gray carbon fiber kit that will blend in with the "wood" left over on the console.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    heatwave3, "The boat does 82mph which is a wild ride in a 26' boat with only the last 12" of the boat actually in the water". Sounds like a plane trying to take off! :-) Wow!

Wood trim/carbon fibre/brush aluminum kits, try http://www.woodtrim.com . We have a Wood/carbon fibre/aluminum trim dash kits discussion topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. Feel free to participate in there if you wish.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards