Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Golf Interior and Passenger Comfort Problems

saltydogssaltydogs Member Posts: 1
Hello all!

Does anyone know how I can access the cabin air filter in my 2005 Golf?
Is it something I can do easily at home?
Thanks

Comments

• bmwrich58bmwrich58 Member Posts: 1
    Water Leak/Funky Smell.... finally sorted
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most likely why previous owner sold this car,and unknown to me for sometime,but I finally found and did the fix!
    1998 VW Golf 4 door. Rear passenger side floor always wet,either from rain,melting snow or a car wash. Stagnant water then begins to smell horribly!
    All the research lead to checking for "blocked drain holes",whether in the "rubber door gasket/gutter system" to "sunroof drain holes being clogged".
    All clear doing their job of routing water through channels outside of vehicle. But still this leak and nasty smell exist.
    Dealer's no help,all three couldn't find and solve problem. Their only remedy was a simple vaccum and "stink spray" to mask odor.
    Well,I have a little extra time and no need for this vehicle as kids are busy in school so time to take matters into my own hands.
    Here's the deal. Upon removal of the inner door panel,there is a clear vinyl plastic layer glued to the door panel acting as a weather guard/seal.
    Found at the bottom left corner of this "inner door seal" is a "wrinkel/bubble" where it should have been sealed "flush" to the door. So any time water dripped down the glass into the innerdoor area,it pooled up against this "seal" then found its way through gravity towards this "wrinkel/bubble" in the seal only to drain inside the car instead of through the door drains.
    Clearly this was a "defect during assembly". If previous owner pushed the issue with the Dealer,this would have been fixed under warranty. Of course I buy the vehicle and the warranty was over so I get stuck with the repair. So the mystery "water leak/smell" is finally solved!
    But it gets better!!! This supposedly "vinyl/plastic sheet seal" is not available for someone or the Dealer to make this repair. VW does not list this as a part. Go figure...
    I used plastic sheeting "visqueen"(sp) and 3M double sided sticky tape to make my repair. A whole new "weather guard/seal" installed properly...no wrinkles,bubbles etc. Completely smooth and flush.
    Just be careful when removing the old "failed door seal",as this has to be copied/sized for the new weather seal. Also when copied and reapplied, you have to have all the correctly added "seal protection areas" over any of the holes in the seal for the window crank,speaker wires etc to protrude through.
    The plastic door clips that hold the inner door panel to the door wiil be damaged upon removal. New "plastic" clips will be needed. and don't be surprised if the parts guy messes up the order for these clips at least 3 times! I even brought the old clips with to show him and he still got it wrong. Took me 1 week and the third Dealer Parts Guy to get the proper clips! Sorry I didn't take pictures,but once the door panel is off,you'll see the problem area,and how easy a fix it is! Goodluck.
  • mjbienkomjbienko Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know how to remove an interior door panel on an older vw? I have a 1995 Golf and I am able to get the screws out but I have manual windows and I don't know how to take that handle off that rolls down my window.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    You should be able to remove the cover on the window crank handle by pulling back the edge of the cover from the base of the handle (closest to the attachment point side of the window crank).
  • mjbienkomjbienko Member Posts: 2
    Ok, it slides over and then pops off. Thanks for the help!
  • apple8apple8 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: :sick: i own a 2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro and my rear window is ? Off Track? how do you take the inside right rear panel off to get to the problem?
  • emilypemilyp Member Posts: 1
    I could use some help on how and where is the filter for this car?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You're in the wrong place to ask this. Head on over to the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Group and post in the appropriate discussion there.

The Browse By Vehicle searchtool in the left sidebar is a quick way to find discussion about the vehicle you have a question on. Just select the make and model, click Go, and you'll be taken to a list of all discussions on that make/model.
  • dunoyerdunoyer Member Posts: 2
    is only working on position 4 and make a lot of noise. What's the deal? 1999 Golf GLS
  • bobshu7bobshu7 Member Posts: 1
    oil light flashes and alarm sounds when driving. Full of oil. Can anyone help? Thanks.

1989 golf 4 door hatchback.
  • cabbydrivercabbydriver Member Posts: 1
    Oh My God!!!

I woke up this morning to my girlfriend telling me that the window of my golf were open. I obviously didn't believe her because I remember locking the car the night before and the windows were closed.

To my disbelieve she was right. My window had opened themselves overnight, all four were open fully. The doors were still locked.

I really can't understand how this happened. Does anyone have an idea?

I have a new 1.9 tdi golf 2008 model.
  • dean_290dean_290 Member Posts: 1
    Any tips to help resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. I just had new carpet installed with pad and now I am having trouble seeing exactly where it is leaking from
  • bcr200bcr200 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Did you ever find out what was causing this?

I also have a tdi golf 2008 model and came out to find all my windows were down this morning. This is the second time it has happened (and I've only had the car since March). I put the first time down to something I had done but now I'm not so sure!

I've read various reports and possible causes for this problem but wondered what the outcome was for you given we have the same golf model?

Any help would be much appreciated!
  • waterbaby2waterbaby2 Member Posts: 1
    My interior lights wont switch off, can anyone help?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This happens to a lot of folks (including my wife) in a lot of different cars. There's typically a three-position switch by the dome light. One setting is Off (lights never on), one is On (always on), and the other is labeled Door(at least in my cars) so that the light comes on when you open the doors and goes off when you close them. Most likely your switch is set to On
  • m_fitzm_fitz Member Posts: 1
    I have no kids, but it's possible starting a family will be in my future in the next year or two. I really like the Golf. I just test drove the TDI and it's such a pleasant ride! Anyway, am I kidding myself that this could be a family car? Does a backwards facing infant seat fit in this car? If it does, does it mean my knees will be hitting my chin? Please respond if you know yay or nay. And tell me if I should really be looking at the Jetta Sportswagen TDI instead. I haven't gotten a chance to drive the Sportswagen, so I don't know if it's a good comparison.
  • seinbelldseinbelld Member Posts: 2
    Good question. I may be able to answer it very shortly. We have a one year old daughter who has to be in the biggest, rear-facing carseat known to man (Britax Boulevard). It actually doesn't fit rear-facing in our BMW X3. We've been looking to replace the X3 with a Golf so I may take the seat with me if we go to the dealership this weekend. If so, I'll let you know..
  • meidleinmeidlein Member Posts: 1
    all of my interior backlighting is inoperative. The dash, heater, power window switches. I have tried a known good light switch panel with no results. I was told by a mechanic that VW has a problem with loose ground plains, but the wiring diagram doesn't show a common ground for these lights. All other interior lights work. Any ideas?