Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Highlander Hybrid Electrical/Lighting Problems

hmcpeakhmcpeak Member Posts: 4
I have a new 2007 Highlander Hybrid and I am not sure how to find the trailer wiring harness. I have looked everywhere. I have the AWD Limited with Towing Prep. Anybody have any ideas what I need to get my trailer lights working??
The store that installed my hitch could not find the wiring harness/connector and I did not want them to splice into the wiring.

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I am not certain the "prep" package includes a harness, but merely the leads to be connected to one.....

Someone on here will know for certain, but you could always call your local dealer's service writer to verify that as well. :)
  • 8241582415 Member Posts: 38
    You might want to check this link out:

http://www.hihychat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=244

Good luck.
  • hmcpeakhmcpeak Member Posts: 4
    Thanks! Was very close to a solution but when I called the vendor, she could not tell me if the wiring harness used in the 2006 Highlander would work on the 2007. I will keep in touch with her and hope she will get some more info.
    Thanks again!
  • hmcpeakhmcpeak Member Posts: 4
    Problem Solved:
    After having a hitch installed at a hitch store $200, I went to the dealer and they sold me a wiring harness for a Lexus 330 for $50. I was surprised when it connected correctly to the cars "trailer prep connector" located UNDER the storage compartment close to the left tail lights. I also had to add the missing 20 amp fuse for the trailer lights. The fuse box was located in the engine compartment
    So, better to have bought the car with the Hitch option, no?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's use this one as our electrical problems topic here.
    Well, all depends on the amount of work you want to personally do, I guess. ;)
  • jtroeschjtroesch Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone experienced a total running failure in their HH? I have had two, very dangerous, engine failures due to fuse link failure, twice within 13 days and after being replaced once. I lost all power in the vehicle at 70 mph on Interstate 95 North near Savannah, GA and was lucky to be in the outside lane near the shoulder. There was a popping sound and then my car lost complete power, steering and braking. It had to be towed to the nearest Toyota dealer for repair. The dash display messages were: Check Hybrid System. Check VSC system The car would not restart. I have reported this to Toyota Motor Sales, Inc., Torrance, CA and the National Transportation and Safety Board. This type system failures presents a great potential for injury or loss of life.
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    We have not and hope never will.

Can you please clarify loss of steering and brakes? You can still steer and brake, just that they require physical effort, true?

Thanks for warning us here.

To our hosts,
    This important post by jtroesch ought to be in a whole new topic "board"??? It is catastrophic failure, not just a simple electrical failure. Elevating jtroesch's post will warn other HH owners.
    Thanks.
    Sorry it took me so long to reply. Things have been hectic. We have the car home from the selling dealer's service department. They had to replace a part called "invert er" it is a computer mother board and hardware that converts DC to Ac and AC back to DC to replenish the batteries. We have not drove the car since bringing it home. We are still unsure that it won't do it again with injury or loss of life potential. We have wrote to Toyota Customer Experience, Torrance, CA and received no reply. We wrote the National Highway Safety and Traffic Administration and only received acknowledgment of our report. Lastly we wrote the owner of the selling dealership and still await his reply. I have heard from two different service departments that the hybrid has experienced similar failures. Guess those owners are not reporting it. You could, with great effort, steer the vehicle from the road way and let it roll to a stop. Once the hybrid quits there is no power.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    There is a good possibility that they have fixed the original problem and the vehicle is safe to drive. You might try it for short trips for shopping and see how it performs. In CA you need three failures of the same type, or 30 days out of service, to invoke the lemon laws.
    Thanks for updating us. Sorry about what happened and I can appreciate why you are reluctant to use it now. If other owners are experiencing this problem, I sure hope it shows up soon on NHSTA's database so everyone knows about it.

I really hope it all works out for your family. Stay safe!

Cal

ps.
    We happen to run solar power for our house so we are initimately aquainted with Inverters. The good news is they can be reliable day in and day out in very cold and very hot temperature. When well constructed, they may lose efficiency in high temperature but they won't die. On the downside, they do rely on modern electronics so if one part goes, the Inverter will shut down to cut off power and that is that.
    Thanks to all for your support and comments. We are currently in contact with Toyota Motor Sales, Inc. and will go through a process of third party arbitration. Even fixed I do not think we will ever feel truly safe driving the car. Will post the results of the process when completed. Again thanks.
  • bepricebeprice Member Posts: 1
    I have just recently had an electrical failure on our less than 5k miles HH. It hasn't died while driving yet, but will sporatically fail to start for up to 15 minutes while dinking around with it. It comes up with Check VSC and 'shift to P for starting' when it is already there. Took it into the dealer and no problem found. After failing again along with some interesting flashing gauges, I took it in again and it failed for them. They think it MIGHT be a failed battery....not too confident on that one. Lossing confidense. Any ideas?
    Hi beprice,

If the error messages, "Check VSC" and "Shift to P..." are correct, not sure why that would be a battery problem. Then again, I am no mechanic, so this is all just a guess.

I have an OBD II reader that I use to read error codes from our cars. All cars made after 1995 (?) must have an OBD II compatible plug. The reader tells us about problems with the engines, transmission, emission, various valves, filters and so on. I have not tried it on our HH but that may be a good tool to get. It costs around $125 or so.

There is also a nationwide company called "AutoZone" that will do this for you free. If you have one of these stores in your area and it offers this free service, you can certainly bring the car in for them to pull out the actual error code. Just make sure they DO NOT reset the code, only scan the code for you. Then you can take it to the dealer armed with a bit more information. Just know that the dealer has a more expensive (~$5000) reader that can get more detail information (freeze frame) from the car. So it is very likely the dealer will have more details and the diagnosis may differ from what the original error code may indicate.

Other than the idea above, not sure what else to do. Our HH has 24,000 miles now and still runs well and smooth.

Hope yours turn out OK.
    To beprice and cdptrap:

We were able to have the dealer replace our HH with a non-hybrid Highlander. I refused to take any chances with the car, even after repair. Losing power on the interstate is very scary. I am sure they will resell the HH as a almost new used car. But my wife is more important to me then a financial loss on a car. The technology may be great but our experience gives me a great distrust of hybrids. Each person must decide for themselves what is the right thing to do. I would encourage you to report the experience to Toyota Customer Experience (the toll free number is in your owners manual) and the to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(their number and website are also in the owners manual). For future arbitration if required make complete notes of the repairs and who you talked to about the failure(s).
    Really glad to hear you got it resolved! Hope the new Highlander serves you well.

Beprice and jtroesch's case reminds me of what happened to the Prius in '04 and '05. About 12? (last I checked in 6/05) owners reported their Prius simply cut off all power while driving. All were able to roll to a stop on the side of the road. Some would start again and some would not. There were reports of "flashing" gauges as well and dealers being puzzled by what was happening. NHTSA looked into this as well. Toyota at the time issued a recall blaming the on-board software. Have not heard of similar complaints since. I wonder if this bug has surfaced in some of the HH.

We will just continue driving in the slow lane just in case. Since getting this car, we have been driving around 60-65 in the slow lane most of the time. Just a more relaxing way to drive and we get good mileage too. After learning of your experience, it now appears to be safer too in case that software or hardware bug bites on a freeway.

Enjoy your spanking new Highlander and have a safe New year all!

Cal
    Cal: So far so good. Hope you never experience this problem. A couple of the service tech's told me there has been a few reported failures. We love our new non-hybrid and look forward to many years of happy ownership. As I stated before we reported the failure to NHTSA and Toyota. Hopefully they will check the "inverter within the hybrids to make sure there is no more defective ones. Thanks for your note. Buck
  • paulchen51paulchen51 Member Posts: 2
    After my two week vacation abroad, I came home to find my one-year old Hybrid without any power. Do I jump start it to get it running again? Or is it not advisable and I have to have it towed to the repair shop? What's your advice? Thanks.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    That happened to my Prius twice in four years. I must have left something on. I simply jumped the 12V battery (in the Prius it's hard to get to in the trunk but there is an easy access terminal under the hood). That started the computer and the big battery started the engine. It has not happened with my wife's 2007 HH.
  • paulchen51paulchen51 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding. I jumpstarted my HH, which is running fine again.
  • ldirienzoldirienzo Member Posts: 2
    On three separate occasions over the past two months, my '06 HH has failed to start. First, there's absolutely nothing on the dash. Five minutes later, I get a check engine light. I wait a few minutes and the wipers come on in super slow motion accompanied by flashing dashboard lights. In the next stage, most of the dash lights come on normally, but I get a "Shift to P" message even though the car is in park. After an hour, the car restarts as if nothing had happened. I should mention that the car is driven every day. On the first occasion, we had just driven 200 miles and stopped for lunch.

On the second occasion, the technician I spoke to thought the 12 volt battery had run down and simply regenerated itself enough to start, but this last time, the car was good enough to die in the inspection line at the gas station (key in ignition, but not on). The guys there attached a volt-meter and the battery was fully charged. Again, the car started after about an hour.

The car has now been at the dealer's for 2 days, but I'm not too confident, since they say that can't really help me until they can replicate the error. At this point, with winter here and my toddler son almost always in the back seat, I am getting afraid to drive the car outside the neighborhood. Anyone have a similar problem? Any suggestions?
  • sherwood59sherwood59 Member Posts: 2
    I bought the 2008 HH AWD V6 in Nov 07. It performed excellent during my recent ski trip to Hunter Mountain from nyc. The only thing which is truly annoying is the high-pitched groaning sound when braking at low speed. I drove it to the dealer service shop, they told me it was normal with hybrid, it was the motor generator winding down noise. But according to the 2008 Owner's Manual "Pinging or other noises related to the hybrid system" is one of the audible symptoms for possible problems.
    Please help to understand it. Does it need minor/major adjustment or repair?
    Thanks.
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    The "groaning" is the normal sound of the regenerative braking.

I think if you recheck the owner's manual you will see that "pinging and other noises" after you turn off the system are normal as the computers perform various checks and functions.

Remember, the hybrid drive system is different than what you have been used to, including different noises.
  • sherwood59sherwood59 Member Posts: 2
    That's right. Thank you.
  • twnd111twnd111 Member Posts: 6
    I have owned two gasoline Highlander limiteds and am about to purchase a 2008 Hybrid limited.. that is, I was until reading about electrical problems. I had no problems at al with either of my previous vehicles.... should I just forget the hybrid option and buy a 2008 limited with a gas engine?
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I have a 2004 Prius which I love and a 2007 HH which is OK but nothing more. I wouldn't buy it again. The mileage is not great. No other problems, but I really love the Prius.
  • wolfcalwolfcal Member Posts: 19
    Just got my 2006 toyota hh back from service. the gas engine died on the freeway, got to the side of the road and the ready lite would not come on, had to be towed. Service tech after 4 days of chasing the problem says that the small battery ($80) inside the engine compartment went bad (cells) would not hold a charge above a certain voltage, and that caused the gas engine to not work, because this battery controls the computer. Battery was out of 3 year warrenty:<
    MY question: why is there no sensor on this battery, if it can kill my vehicle anywhere it wants to die or drop below the voltage that the system needs. i was lucky in that i was 15 miles from a dealer, but there are many places i travel that are remote and this now scares me. also since the cells went bad, im assuming jumping would do nothing for this battery and again your stuck where it dies. There was no warning in any way that this battery was going bad. tech says one should start checking this battery at 2 1/2 to 3 years of service. for such a great vehicle im surprised if this is true.
    can you give me any more information of this.
    chris
    also, when my 2006 was being repaired, i remembered that i needed them to look at the lens covering the head lights because they were melted from the beam. the service assistant manager claimed to have never heard of this, but i pushed him to check for a service notice, and guess what, there was one. does anyone know of any other service notices on the 2006 toyota hh since toyotas service managers dont...lol....and obviously it is not a big enough problem for a recall..
    and that is why i paid the big bucks for the extended warrenty platinum policy with no deductable, because with new technology you just dont know what will happen...
    chris
    p.s. I still love this vehicle very very much and would buy again right now:>
    see my message , hybrid died on highway when battery died, 3/8/08. sounds like you have the same problem i did. the "small" battery in the engine compartment needs replacing. it only last 3 years. do it now before the car just dies on you. What is happening is, the big battery charges the small battery. sounds like your small battery is weak and not holding a charge, upon sitting the bigger battery is putting enough charge on the small one to get you going. my problem was that when that little battery has had it, your dead in the water, and the big battery can not help you....that is what was explained to me..
    good luck
    chris
    p.s. service should know this right:>...hybrids seem to be so new, i only found one tech at my dealer who knew what he was talking about.
    just an added note:
    the new 12volt battery that toyota service installed is now a 84month battery(7year), all i can now figure is that in 2005(2006model) they didnt make a 12v battery that lasted longer than 3 years...
    oh well, car is now running great again.
    chris
  • gvurgvur Member Posts: 2
    I think the issue may be the capacity of the orginal 12 volt battery is simply to small. The small capacity is not suited for normal loads when the vehicle is parked and the battery is not being charged (computer, hydraulic brake "booster" motor, radio, lights left on, etc).

These loads on the battery, when the vehicle is off and not charging the battery, will cause the battery voltage to drop. If a lead acid battery voltage remains in a discharged state for a long period of time, sulfates build on the lead plates SHORTENING THE LIFE AND REDUCING THE CAPACITY OF THE BATTERY. The life of a lead acid battery is directly related to the charge maintained on the battery.

If the majority of trips are short (say < 10 minutes), this does not allow enough time for the 12V battery to recover to a fully charged state (~ 12.6 volts). The ability to recharge the battery (when the vehicle is running) is further hindered if additional loads such as heated seats, rear defrost, etc are being used.

I have noticed this problem on my 06 HH 12V battery. I have found the voltage as low as 12.1 V (~ 35% charged). Last night is was 12.3 V (~ 60% charged) so I put a battery charger on it to top the voltage back up around 12.6V as a preventative maintenance strategey to prevent sulfates on the lead plates and to maximize the battery life.

My other vehicle is a 03 GMC Sonoma which has a significantly large capacity 12V battery. It can easily maintain a 12.5 to 12.6V charge when not in use for extended periods of time. My pervious vehicle was a 97 GrandAM, and the orginal ACDelco battery was still good after 9 years - likely due to a good charging system and large capacity battery....

I would be curious if the people who have had premature battery failures:

- normally make short trips less than 10 minutes
    - ever drained the 12V battery down (i.e. left a cabin light on over night) and possible required a booster.

If you normally make short trips, I would recommend using a battery charger periodically to ensure the battery voltage is always topped up to ensure maximum battery life (if you are anal like me). Or maybe Toyota should install a large capacity 12V battery.

GVUR
    wow, you have some knowledge on batteries,,thanx,,,why didnt toyota think about this....you are correct, my 06 hh is used daily for short trips, with heated seats on ect...long trips once a month or so, and in cold weather...i now understand the shortened battery life....
    here is my latest posting on all forum sites i am on:

latest update from chris:
    I wrote toyota corporate about my concerns with it taking 4 days to find the battery was my problem and that the battery is the achilies heal of this vehicle.. surprisingly i was assigned a case number and a corporate manager called me......twice.....my concerns about the service centers not looking at this battery will be addressed to a corporate service officer and the idea that there is not back up to this battery or a sensor, will now go to corporate engineering review......dont know how or why my email was assigned a case number, but the manager who called me had talked to the service manager at the center that worked on my car, before calling me the second time....ok, im impressed,,,and my car does work great now....
    chris

there ya go
    i love my hh and would buy again over and over
    chris
    parting thought:

adding a sensor to this battery should be a simple task for toyota...in our old gas cars the alternator kept your system running until you turned the car off (in battery failure situations), i do not want the alternator back, because we have a power source..the hybrid batteries...couldnt some brilliant engineer find a way to draw power off the hybrid batteries through a source of voltage reducers or something like that, to power the computer in a complete battery failure. and put up a warning, go to dealer now.....just thinking outside the box...
  • mgingoldmgingold Member Posts: 1
    I love my new Highlander Hybrid 2008! Question: I am in the habit of leaving my purse and keys in my cars overnight while parked in my garage at home. Is this safe with a hybrid? Will it drain the battery?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I don't think it will drain the battery, but it sure will make it a lot easier for a burglar to steal your new Highlander.
  • jwelshoferjwelshofer Member Posts: 1
    Was wondering if anyone else has had experience where their HH won't start and error message Check VSC and 'shift to P for starting' comes on when the car is already in park? This was posted Dec 20, 2006 but saw no definitive answers on resolution by dealer. We have had the car in twice, first time they replaced the auxillary battery only to have it occur again while trying to start car. Second trip to dealer "we cant reproduce problem" and nothing was done! Very frustrating in that the car has 60k and up to this point has been flawless performer. We are afraid to drive because of fear of not being able to start car.
  • pflovepflove Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the EV system introduced in the HH '08 is backward compatible for the HH '07? This is the switch that causes the 08 Hybrid to run off the battery as much as possible, given appropriate temperature and battery charge (saves gas). It would be great to install this upgrade.
  • txsoccermomtxsoccermom Member Posts: 1
    I have the navigation system with the graphics option of viewing how the car is being powered -- electric engine, gas engine, battery, or combination. On 3 occasions now, the battery charge has dipped low (to 2 bars out of a max of 8) while the car has been idling -- ranging from waiting in a fast food line to creeping along in rush hour traffic. Car was in Park once, in Drive the other 2 times. I have no idea how many times this happened when this particular display was not selected. I was assuming the gas or electric engines were not properly recharging the battery, because there was no little arrow going from an engine to the battery, but it also makes sense that battery capacity itself may be limited, and the AC etc. is draining that quickly.

Have owned the car a little over 1 year and needed to jump start the battery 3 times -- twice doors were left slightly ajar by young children and once a valet parking service left fog lights on overnight. (This is the first Toyota I've owned, and I guess I was spoiled by our previous cars, which basically shut down the lights after 20 minutes or so without the engine running!) Almost all our trips in the car are short trips less than 10 miles -- most are less than 5.

Thanks for the battery info. Just noticed this problem in the last week or two, and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem before taking the car into the dealer.

Dana
  • sarahybridsarahybrid Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2006 Highlander Hybrid at the dealership three times in the last three months. We have a sloped driveway and have found that if we park the car nose down and it rains during the night the car malfunctions when we start the car the next morning. The A/C does not work, only the driver's window will move up & down, the outside temperature reads E degrees, just about every light on the dash lights up - ABS, parking brake, etc. The GPS screen also states that there is a connection problem with the A/C. The problems corrects itself when the car dries out. The last two times, the dealership has band-aided the problem by first resetting the computer and then downloading some new A/C software. They are now telling me that there is nothing they can do this time b/c they didn't pull any codes (though the problem fixed itself once the car dried out).
    Has anyone else experienced this problem or have some suggestions as to what this could be?
    One way to debug this is by experimenting. It is hard for the dealer to figure out without additional info.

The culprit may be as simple as a leak. Places to look would be the weather-strip at the base of the windshield, the black vent cover between the windshield and the hood and then the hood seams. I would try the following after parking the car in the same manner as before.

(A) I would cover the entire front portion of the car from above the windshield all the way to just over the front of the hood making sure to cover all seams around the hood, all weatherstripping around the windshield and that black plastic vent cover between the windshield and the hood. Make sure to tape or weight down the top edge of the plastic sheet real good so water does not get underneath the sheet. It this solves the problem, it could be a simple leak.

(B) If (A) solves the problem, it is time to find this leak. Keep the plastic as before atop the car above the windshield. Reduce coverage from the front of the hood by cutting or folding back towards the windshield. I would fold half way up to expose just the front half of the hood and the hood seams. This is to see if water flowing down from the top into the hood seam is causing the problem. If that does not cause the problem, then the leakage could be higher up.

(C) If (B) creates no problem, I would go as far up as the top hood seam just below the black plastic vent cover. Water could splash in through that top seam. Cut the plastic so it covers all the seams down past the black vent cover from above the windshield but leave that top hood seam uncovered. Careful to press down on the plastic so it fits the contour of the car and NOT DIRECT WATER into the hood seam where it should not. If it does, the experiment is skewed and is itself creating a leakage problem.

(D) If (C) causes that problem again, and you have made sure the plastic is NOT inadvertently directing water into the seam where it should not, then the leak is in that hood seam. The dealer now has info to use.

(E) if (C) does not cause the problem, then the leak may be further up. It could be in or around that black vent cover. Again, adjust the cover and expose the black cover to see what happens and so on and so forth.

This process continues until you expose the entire windshield but it should be clear how it may be able to help isolate to a specific area.

DO take pictures each time you change the cover so that the dealer can see exactly what you did. A picture is worth a thousand words :).

Good luck!
  • rodonnellrodonnell Member Posts: 37
    I would approach the problem from a different direction than CDPTRAP suggests, however I agree the problem is most likely a lwater leak down into the engine compartment and into the computer system somewhere. The hood seals should protect the compartment from any water from above, and have most likely failed.

After your car has completely cooled off and you are preparing to park it normally, place several paper towels in the engine compartment and close the hood carefully and completely. Let it rain, or run the garden hose on the engine compartment. Dry off the front of the car and open the hood. I suspect you will find a very wet spot on the paper towels revealing the source of your leak.
  • rodonnellrodonnell Member Posts: 37
    I think what you are concerned with are actually two separate things.

First, the battery discharge problem you describe after leaving lights on is normal. The batteries are not built to provide unlimited power to lights. When you leave them on, the battery will eventually discharge. This would happen with any automobile regardless of the power source. I agree, Toyota should have equipped the car with a short timer to prevent this problem.

Your second concern with the battery charge state indicator in the Nav display seems completely normal. Mine experiences the same. The computer system controlls when to turn the ICE on to provide charging to the Hybrid battery. Leave your car running long enough and you will witness a continual cycle.

I notice mine will start the ICE when I get down to two bars on the indicator. The ICE runs for several minutes until the indicator shows 5 bars.

Believe this is entirely normal.

And don't forget to double check that all the doors are closed when you shut down for the evening.
    rodonnell is dead on. On the '06 version, when the hybrid battery pack is down to two pink bars, ICE turns on until it gets four to five bars. This should be the same for the newer models.
  • highlanderhybhighlanderhyb Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem with our 06 HH. The first time it happened, we were just about to begin our vacation. We didn't have time to deal with it, and came back 2 weeks later to find the battery had died. When we jump-started it, the problem went away. About 2 weeks later, we got the same message. This was the weekend before another vacation trip. We came back a week and half later, and the battery was dead. We jump-started it, and the problem went away. Fortunately, this time, we took digital pictures of the error message. We took it to the dealer, and it had only 31,400 miles. They kept it for 2 and half weeks, and said they could not reproduce the same error message. Nothing was done. The dealer claimed to have not heard of the problem before.

After reading all the other posts about the battery, we decided to replace the battery at our cost. (The dealer insisted that it was still good.) Since we have the new battery from WalMart, the problem has not returned in the last few weeks.
  • carclueless5carclueless5 Member Posts: 4
    I seem to be having the same problem. Turn the key to start in my HH '06 and I get the shift to P error even though it is in park. I only have 37,700 miles. Of course it's a holiday weekend and the dealer service dept. is closed! Very frustrating to think I will have to replace the battery. Any other advice of how to start it?
    the battery is fairly inexpensive, $80, probably cheaper at walmart...
    it only last 3 years, so for an 06, it may be the problem...open the hood, look to the left , where the battery normally is,,,and there ya go,,,it is the size of a motorcycle battery..
    gl
  • carclueless5carclueless5 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, unfortunately I don't feel confident doing any sort of mechanical work. I had to have it towed to the dealer and have them do it. Total was $200. Running great now, but I had to reprogram everything: radio, navigation settings, clock all very time consuming.
    hopefully that $200 included the tow, or they had better have done some other work also besides replace the battery....if it is just for the battery and install, i would go to the toyota web site and file a complaint on the cost.
    gl
    chris
  • colcbpcolcbp Member Posts: 9
    Just curious, do you live in a single family home or town house/condo and use a garage with a roll-up door and electric garage door opener? If yes, let me give some insight that might cause you to take your purse in your house. Over her in Las Vegas current trick for burglars is to drill small hole in the center of the very top panel of your garage door (where typically you have little windows so light gets into the garage) and then they put in a coat hanger with little hook on the end, hook the pull rope and handle hanging down from your garage door emergency release hook and into the garage they go. No with your purse lying loose in your car, they have all your ID your keys and al your gate and garage door openers. Home invasion will follow shortly.
  • colcbpcolcbp Member Posts: 9
    Eleswhere in the HH community blogs is a lot of discussion re: battery dying after car being left a few days without starting (extended vacation, business trip, etc.,) AND I quote from Section 1-1, p2, 2006 Highlander (Hybrid) Owners Manual "If you do not use the vehicle for 2 weeks or more, the traction battery and auxiliary battery will discharge and their condition is liable to decline....If the traction battery is discharged, the hybrid vehicle will not start. Contact your Toyota Dealer."

Friend of mine is Merchant Marine and everytime before leaving he disconnects the negative terminal of his battery on his 3series BMW because there was some sort of system drain that would kill his battery each and every time otherwise. I had an 93 MBZ SL and early in its production run, it would suffer from the same issue and it turned out that MBZ factory engineers completed a check of all the electrical components installed in the the 91-93SL and found that some of the radio/cassette/cd changer sets installed suffered a continuous current drain even when shut off.

I would have thought by now that Toyota engineers would have been smart enough to look for a similar cause and fix.

To their credit MBZ issued a repair bulletin and fix notice to all dealerships and notified all owners of the free fix. Would think that Toyota prides its product enough to do no less, but from all the comments it surely seems they don't care for their owners as much now as they did years ago when I bought my first Toyota ('73.)

Reason I am interested in this issue is that next friday I take posession of an one-owner, gently used 06 HH Ltd to replace my 93 Camry Wagon (220,000mi) and would appreciate learning what things I should particularly check out before forking out $20K+.

Would appreciate any suggestions of things to especially check.

Chuck :D