Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Tires and Wheels

aggie95aggie95 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Dodge
I am trying to find the best tires to replace the OEM Goodyear Eagles on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 20" tires. What do you have? What would you suggest? Does it really matter if you have a tread warranty with the way tires wear on this truck? I plan on just going back with 275/55/20s.

Thanks!

Comments

• gsa1gsa1 Member Posts: 4
    I have cheap steel factory 16s, and have found a set of alloys from a 2003. they mounted, except for the center cap on front pushing the cover off. The alloys are 17 inch, but did not perform well at all. I thought it would shake itself to parts. Mine is a 1999 1500. Is there an adapter, or special lugs?? I would really like to have the beefier tire, and alloy rims. The result at 40 mph was scary, so I took them off. Is this an offset problem. new tire is 17 inch, 5 lug.
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    You will need to go to dealer & buy the right lug nut for 2003 alloys wheels. At about 4.50 each x 20 = 90.00 dollars & then they will work fine. Sorry for the good & bad news.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. The tires had been balanced, and still the problem. The lugs need to insert to the alloy. Brian
  • hemmi1hemmi1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge 1500 California Hemi Express. I replaed the Goodyears with FIERCE ST 285-5OR20 tires. My truck has 77.000 trouble free miles. I also have BLACK American racing Cartel wheels. Truck handles great, tires wearing very little. I keep burnouts to a minimum
  • gbremergbremer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 which I purchased new. I have 48,000 miles on it and I am going to purchase my third set of tires, because they wear out so fast.
    I am a librarian who does not drive wildly. I started out with the factory tires...Goodyear, I think. At 22,000 miles I had buy new ones. I tried FIrestone this time. I always have the alignment done, etc. etc. Now I'm in the market for a third set. Am I the only one? And what causes it?
    THanks
  • skyhighranchskyhighranch Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and it has 265 70 R17 tires on it now (Stock).
    My Question is can I put or will they fit with out doing anything 315 70 R17 tires on it?
    I can get 4 great ones cheep.
    Thanks
  • rdnk53094rdnk53094 Member Posts: 2
    I want to know if I can swap 265/75 16s for 285/75 16s without having to swap rims. The stock rims are 16x7, but the specs for 285s call for 16x 7.5" rims. Is this going to be ok if I stay with the rims I have?
  • rdnk53094rdnk53094 Member Posts: 2
    One way to check is go to tirerack.com. They have a tire calculator so you can see the size difference, and they also list all sizes that will fit your truck.
  • bam67bam67 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at used Ram 1500`s with 5.2l 4x4 club cabs. I found one with 33x12.5R15 Trxus M/T tire which with the current gas prices would have to go (looks sweet though). I don`t have nor does the used car dealer have info on the build. If you where going from stock to this size tire would a gear ratio change have to be done? If so and assuming (hate that word) it was done correctly, would there be a problem dropping down to 31`s without a gear change? I know with out knowing the gearing , it is at best a guess, but it is a nice truck at the right price.

Brian
  • lighhtning73lighhtning73 Member Posts: 1
    im wandering if a smaller stock rim will fit without any modifications, i can get 17s and tires really cheap but i dont know if the wheels will clear the brakes. any help would be appreciated
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    17s are standard equipment on that truck. As long as you have the proper offset in the wheel, you'll be fine clearing the brakes. If you can find some used factory 17-inch wheels, you'll be all set.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • CGBearCGBear Member Posts: 6
    I got the Firestone Destination AT 245 65 17's and I love 'em. My truck is my daily driver and I've had the tires for a year now with no signs of wear. This is my first 2 wheel drive truck I've had so my first winter with the stock tires was a nightmare. I bought these tires from Tirerack.com because they were rated very good in all categories. Plus, they weren't very expensive at all! I'll buy them again, but it doesn't look like that will be anytime soon. :) :shades:
  • rammanramman Member Posts: 2
    hello new to forum. I was wondering if darango rims will fit 05 1500
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Nope - Durangos use 6-lug wheels, Ram 1500s use 5-lug wheels.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • minardiminardi Member Posts: 30
    I have an 07 RAM 1500 quad cab/Hemi with 20" Wrangler HP tires. Looking for new tires and wondering if anyone has tried tires other than the HP's. Not a lot of selection in 20" size.
  • ecallawayecallaway Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 ram 1500 4x4 we bought with 22 inch rims 5 lug, i have been looking for factory rims and tires will 17 inch rims and tires 5 lug from an 01 ram 1500 fit?
  • ecallawayecallaway Member Posts: 2
  • kbj43kbj43 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I wanted to know if I can put 17" rims and tires on an 01 dodge ram 1500? It has 275 75 r16 on it now. I bought the truck used so I don't know much about it.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Yes, you can but you have to be careful. It's easy to make a mistake.

I suggest you go to Tire Rack's or Discount Tire's web site and research up sizing. Those folks will know what fits and what doesn't.
  • gdavis75gdavis75 Member Posts: 1
    I have a set of standard tires we took off our our 04 Ram 1500 because my husband had to have 20", They have been sitting in the garage since way back then - I'd love to sell them. email me gina.davis@live.com and I'll send pix.
  • bert89bert89 Member Posts: 1
    i have on my truck now 265/70-17 and i was wondering if i could fit 295/70-17 on it. The only mod i have is a leveling kit.

thanks bert
This discussion has been closed.