Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

B9 Tribeca Changes I'd Like To See

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Subaru
If you have an idea for a change or a feature to improve the B9, this is the "drawing board" to post it on.

Comments

• jrseyshawnjrseyshawn Member Posts: 1
    not sure if anyone has posted this but i just saw this online... what do you guy and gals think?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/28/subaru-designer-fired-new-grille-design-o- n-on-future-models/
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    well, I guess it really is ugly then.
    I kinda' like it tho'. There's no accounting for taste.
    Does that mean that I'll be able to buy an '07 Beca for even cheaper?!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The one thing I'd like to see them improve is visibility to the rear.

This is an industry trend in general. Smaller, "chopped" windows are the new look, but that plus wider pillars are making visibility worse and worse.

The only reason backup cameras are popular is because you can't see very well out of almost all new breed crossovers out there.

So I hope they take this opportunity to improve upon this. While they're at it, box off the rear and stretch the side curtain air bags to protect the 3rd row.

I like the style, but it should not come at the expense of function. They could use a bigger green house and improve 3rd row room with no changes to the chassis.

-juice
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Let's get this thread started.
    Here are my suggestions.

1.- add auto dimming SIDE mirrors
    2.- more of a cowl over the nav/info screen - sometimes hard to see on sunny days.
    3.- full size spare and wheel
    4.- better fuel economy
    5.- p0wer 8way passenger seat
    6.- heated rear seats

Even with the above mentioned improvements I still enjoy my leased 06 LTD 7P, and should be
    ordering an 07 LTD 5P for my wife this month.

Did you know that a 07 CR-V does not offer power seats or a lumbar support? Or that an 06 Acura RL - their flagship - only has a 4-way power passenger seat, Or that an 06 Mercedes R class does not offer a back up camera?

There is always room for improvement, but imagine - A Subaru with a safety option that Mercedes doesn't have!

Charlie
    It's a shame because the Impreza's sales have picked up even though it's an older design.

Perhaps it was just too edgy for Subaru. There just isn't acceptance for anything cutting edge from Subaru. I bet if Lexus had done it, maybe it would have sold better.

We knew Zap was out, it was rumored early this year and confirmed a couple of months ago.

Let's not be surprised if the '08 model gets a bigger than expected "refresh".

I just hope they don't go all bland on us. I happen to like the style.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It was just too much for the average Joe to swallow in one gulp.

As you know, I've always felt from a design standpoint, it could have worked—given more time and development. I've always seen it as a "work in progress," that in the Tribeca's case just wasn't fully cooked.

Bob
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Yep, sometimes it's difficult for folks to accept changes, eh? ;)

Truthfully, I've been kind of neutral on the B9 nose. I've looked at it at times and wondered what they were thinking, and other times it seemed very apt. Ikind of liked it at the Philly auto show on that "root beer" colored model, but I've seen a couple in real life, that didn't do much for me. Maybe it was the lighting!
    I remember all the controversy early on, and then I saw in person for the first time at NAIAS 2005, and thought...

much ado about nothing. The grille is nothing compared to trucks from Dodge, GM, and Ford. Mellow in comparison.

I liked the edgy looks because it stood out, I like the Murano as well. They're better than the 2-box shapes that most competitors had at the time.

-juice
    Golly-
    Check out the back end glimpse of the Nissan Rogue crossover SUV. The shape of the rear window and the way the tail lights emerge from the side looks awfully similar to a some other vehicle that I've seen before... I just can't place it..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=117142#2

pf_Flyer Sorry, I couldn't find a better Tribeca forum to stick this under. Can't we have a general forum again?
    Consider the discussion list in the group to be the table of contents,but a table of contents that can be added to! ;)

If you want to start up a comparison discussion titled "Tribeca vs Nissan Rogue" to deal with these coincidences, feel free to do so!
    I always thought a Rogue was an undercover spy. I'm sure that's what Nissan was thinking.

Too small to compete with the Tribeca, though. It should compete with the Forester, and then the next Murano will get slightly bigger, I bet.

-juice
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    1. With the introduction of the new MDX and the upcoming Mazda CX-9,they need to stretch the Tribeca frame and interior room about 10-15 inches.

2. Turbo H6 3.0 - 300HP / 300lb Tq

3. 3.5L H6 - 275+HP / 250+lb TQ and runs on regular fuel

4. Bigger brakes

5. More powerful audio system.
    It's Thursday, so that means Subaru Crew chat time! Stop in and chat about Subarus (or all the other stuff that comes up)

I'll also be picking your brains for dicsussion suggestions for the Subaru vehicle groups as we reorganize the forums. Your input and assistance is greatly appreciated!

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    I think the former General Discussion format is much simpler than the " Table of Contents " approach .

Where does this Table thing end ? Soon we will have discussions for topics such as " where do I store my owners manual" and the like.

A few broad topics should be sufficient ... :mad:

Jerry
    Certainly we're not going to the other extreme, but having discussions that deal with general areas or systems of the vehicles that people commonly have questions about or problems with like Subaru B9 Tribeca Tire/Wheel Questions makes sense.

If someone starts a discussion titled "My Left Front Tire Keeps Going Flat", they'll be directed to the the tire & wheel discussion as that's specific enough to get them into a discussion where people are talking about that aspect of the car.

But let's leave this discussion for B9 wish list ideas. The Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of the forums.
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    xenon headlights at least as an option like the murano has. the sylvania silver star bulbs I put in to get a whiter brighter light burn out in a year especially with the day time running lights which are unneccessary especially on bright sunny days which can't be turned off unless you press in the parking brake a little (first notch) which doesn't engage it but the parking break light goes on and still bothers some ppl and makes you think you are driving with parking brake on. parking brake also allows watching dvd on front screen while driving ( for passenger)

speaking of which that is my other suggestion. make nav work for passenger while driving. can use existing airbag sensor that omeone is in passenger seat. and don't give me the excuse that someone could weigh down the seat to trick it.

its annoying enough it doesn't work while driving but at least let passenger

another suggestion... make the damn fog lights crack resistant or stronger glass/plastic. everyones have cracked after some time unless you put 3m or similar film on.

make the nav viice activated. just copy acuras superior nav and other tech features like bluetooth.

make it a hybrid for better gas mileage and improved performance/hp at the same time. toyota/lexus does this and they own a large portion of subaru after buying it from gm, so yeah use toyota hybrid technology.

been lots of suggestions/requests in the original main b9 forum. wasn't hard to search for stuff there all in one place. now you have to guess which thrrad something may ne in and then search. what a mess.

main suggestion. change it back t one big delicious b9 tribeca thread ugh.
    by thetime they add some of this stuff 8ll be in a acura mdx. first year of redesign so prob will improve on that later too ugh.

but at least its not a fist year model like the 06 tribeca wise. man that was a stupid risk. figured it would be great that there was none on the road so get it early and I was in the market for a car.

meanwhile there are still none on the road and I'm stuck with the old cheap inferior cargp cover that they improved for second model year (07) and audi input in rear (only with dvd) which they know added an ipod/mp3 jack up front. sucks for early adopers which they did nothing for evn though they wouldnthave been able to make an 07 if we 06 buyers hadn't bought them
    all I can hope is that this reskin makes the 06 and 07 more rare and worth more and more in demand because you know the reskin will suck and be more boring and bland.

way to have confidence in your design and just improve it slightly.

noone liked lots of cars designs that are now loved.

ppl didn't like the lexus rx and its redesign at first but now the older looks like outdated crap compared to the newone.

ppl have to get used to a design which grows on ppl.

so many cars ppl said were ujgly at first and now are loved and popular.

the tribeca is easily better looking then most oher similar suvs including the most similar but inferior in style murano and even the infiniti fx. there just aren't enogu tribeca on the road for ppl to get used to them

but anyone who sees my satin pearl white b9 with tinted windows and black wheels and black accessories (hood and moomroof deflector etc) badgeless se front grill and subaru lettering removed among other minor things think it is one of thee best looking mid size suv on the road if not thee best.
    Subaru just didn't have the cachet to pull it off.

Lexus did. First time I saw the RX I thought of the Jetsons cartoon, but it sold like crazy because it sort of redefined what was cool in the mind of consumers. It's their best selling model now, I believe, even though it drives poorly IMO.

I hope they don't get too gun shy and overcompensate, making the '08 model bland and boring.

-juice
    I have heard from my dealer that the 08 Tribeca will have a " forester - like front"

I'm sure it won't be bland, but it will blend in with the crowd. That could hurt sales too!

My wife and I have grown to like the current model - so much so that we are ordering another this week! (5 ltd. w/nav, Diamond gray w/SE pkg.)

The memory seats and rear camera are the main reason.

I'd like to see auto dimming side mirrors.

I really like the unique look.

Charlie
    Here is a similar grille that was embraced by the press and the public:

-juice
    I think it's only the shape of the center grill that needed revision. It looks good above,on an alpha, and even on the Impreza.

well....it's all moot now - they're changing it.

I wonder how the above grill would look on a tribeca. Can any one do that??

Charlie
    Ironically it looks like an airplane fuselage with wings!

-juice
    Does this help? :)

Yes , Thank you.

This convinces me that all our dear little tribeca needed for 08 was a rework of the center grill port.

Is there a twin turbo 3.6 under this hood???

Charlie
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Sort of reminds me of the "Everyone Loves Raymond" episode in which his mother took up art... ;)

Bob
  • dtryanowdtryanow Member Posts: 2
    X5Killer,

Can you post a picture of your Tribeca? I would love to see it.
  • robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    ... especially with the day time running lights which are unneccessary especially on bright sunny days which can't be turned off unless you press in the parking brake a little (first notch) which doesn't engage it but the parking break light goes on and still bothers some ppl and makes you think you are driving with parking brake on.

Isn't that the same light the car uses to warn you of problems with the brake system?
    I think if you click my name there are some pictures, but most were taken with a ppc phone and not that great quality or lighthing, or in the best place etc.

Just imagine an 06 Satin White Pearl B9 with desert beige leather and matching pin stripe. Badgeless SE mesch grille, black hood deflector with Subaru lettering painted blck to blend in. silver front bumper underguard. blue highbeam bulbs which can be seen when they are off through the clear housing and reflect blue around inside of headlight housing. sylvania silver star bulbs in lowbeam and fog light to give a hid like appearance and whiter brighter light.

puddle lights, black moonroof winddeflector, black rear bumper guard (forge what its called exactly but goes over top of rear bumper to protect that part when you are taking stuff in and out. Subaru lettering removed from rear and Tribeca letter removed and reused (back says TI on the left side which could be interpreted as Turbo Injected and right side says B9R

on dash above glove compartment it says Beca in silver lettering (taken from tribeca lettering) as that is what my wife calls her.

then just all black 20" wheels with 5 dual spokes and a machined lip and 20" tires. front windows tinted to match the back ones so it looks uniform.

thats all i did but yeah it looks great and ges a lot of compliments.

just pissed the darn foglights got slight cracks in them (one is worse then the other though) and working on getting at least one replaced by dealer/soa for free under warranty which it should be.
    i dont think so. there is a diff warning light that would come up for any problems with the brakes, like the ABS light.

i'm talking about just the parking brake indicator.

also for the other guy, if you look at the pictures on my carspace which i just did and yeah they aren't great so dont do it justice but that was before i painted that backing plate where the subaru badge used to be, black, so it is a lot less noticeable now and blends into the background.
  • robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    i dont think so. there is a diff warning light that would come up for any problems with the brakes, like the ABS light.

i'm talking about just the parking brake indicator.

I think the dashboard should have a separate parking brake indicator light. As it is, the brake warning light serves as both parking brake indicator and warning signal.

If the brake warning light is already on because the parking brake is being used to disable the DRLs, how (other than the obvious!) will you know if there is a brake system problem?

Here's what the manual says:

Brake system warning light
    This light has the following three functions:

Parking brake warning
    The light comes on with the parking brake applied while the ignition switch is in the “ON” position. It goes out when the parking brake is fully released.

Brake fluid level warning
    This light comes on when the brake fluid level has dropped to near the “MIN” level of the brake fluid reservoir with the ignition switch in the “ON” position and with the parking brake fully released. If the brake system warning light should come on while driving (with the parking brake fully released and with the ignition switch positioned in “ON”), it could be an indication of leaking of brake fluid or worn brake pads. If this occurs, immediately stop the vehicle at the nearest safe place and check the brake fluid level. If the fluid level is below the “MIN” mark in the reservoir, do not drive the vehicle. Have the vehicle towed to the nearest SUBARU dealer for repair.

Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) system warning
    The brake system warning light also illuminates if a malfunction occurs in the EBD system. In that event, it comes on together with the ABS warning light. The EBD system may be faulty if the brake system warning light and ABS warning light illuminate simultaneously during driving.
    well its not like yu will need to do it all the time. also 'how will you know if its on for another problem?' just release the parking brake then and see if the warning light comes on. that isn't rocket science.

noone said its a perfect work around. its just a way to disable the dtrl's which burn out you replacement bulbs quicker
    I just took delivery of my new '07 Titanium silver 7pass Ltd with Nav. Only drove it a mile to the gas station to fill it up and back. So far I've noticed two changes that I'd like:

1. The Key Fob should be a single integrated key and remote. Switchblade style.
    2. A telescoping steering wheel adjustment.

and PF_Flyer- we need a General forum again. I know you think you've done a wonderful thing here- but the organization isn't well thought out.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    I agree... Now I have to goto so many different pages to to read.... I like 1 place 'shopping' :)
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    Yes, the telescoping steering wheel would be great...as would integraged key fob. I'd also like to see 8 way power seats on the passenger side as well as driver. Also, how about that MacIntosh sound system from the outback.

As for the grill....when I look at the 2007 Acura MDX, I'm struck that the smaller inner grill is very airplane like and something like this would be a good way for Subaru to keep their airplane theme for future models.
    link title

Check out the front end pictures of the MDX to see what I mean...they could do a similar grill within a grill...might keep everyone happy.
    I guess my first reaction to the 'beca grill was a bit negative, but that didn't last long. Personally- I love it. The MDX is a dull design. I finally saw an RDX on the road yesterday, and although it looked OK in the pictures, in person the proportions are all wrong. ick.

Next on my list of suggested changes, however is:
    Quick/ 1-button access on the nav screen to get that woman to shut up. (I'm talking about the Nav voice, not my wife)
    I like the overall shape of the new MDX, but the grille looks a bit tacked on, doesn't really mesh with the rest of the car. If it were body color it would look better.

But then I also think the Tribeca's grille would look better in body color or even in black.

-juice
    real quick in talking about the grille and the airplane/jet influence. It annoys me that Saab's commercials tote this same thing while Subaru doesn't even though they are Fuji Heavy or whatever and used to build planes.

Plus Saab wanted to copy the tribeca but instead they just have a chevy based suv but still their commercials annoy me as they brag they are built from jets and noone realizes thats probably more true of subaru
    Saab's ads are even most absurd that you think. GM bought Saab's automotive side, but not the portion that was involved with aviation. So that side of the company isn't even part of them any more.

-juice
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Are the people buying Tribecas the same ones who paid full price for a Pontiac Aztek when they came out? Ford's 1962 Edsel looked better.
    Please, tell us what you drive? Deliver us from our misguided ways.
    Wow it's halloween and I've just seen my first troll. :surprise:
    Aztek was inspired by this:

Tribeca has nothing in common with that...

-juice
    "Please, tell us what you drive? Deliver us from our misguided ways."
    Answer: Pontiac Aztek ;)

But seriously, I did go into a dealership when the Aztek had been out for a while and tried to get one for cheap (new), and they wouldn't discount it. For a few thousand off, I might have bought one. The Tribeca is no Aztek to be sure, and people's taste vary. The Tribeca is well-engineered, although a bit too heavy and thirsty for its size. Pricey as well. I'd change the structural optimization to get the weight down, and, of course, change the grill (no Edsel emblem in the middle), and it would be changed into a top-selling winner, IMHO. (Actually, I drive a 1941 Chevy Special Deluxe and a 2005 Freestyle.)
    Just to prove that point, the LA Times called it "a handsomely sculpted crossover", and later "cool and sexy".

Press was mixed, but there was plenty of favorable opinions. It's fair to call it controversial, but ugly is just an opinion in the eye of the beholder.

-juice
    It's different....and sometimes after you get used to seeing it for some time....different turns into ugly and sometimes different turns into kinda cool. I get lots of good comments on the Tribeca plus many more looks and interest than I would in say a square Highlander or Pilot. Subaru has always been a little off the mainstream and many of us like that.
    It's because it's Subaru, and noone expects them to lead styling trends.

Bugatti used a similar grille on the Veyron and everyone loved it.

-juice
    The more I look at the Tribeca, the more I like it, but I'm not fully liking it yet. Seems thats the majority of the responses out there.
  • mfrahmmfrahm Member Posts: 3
    Subaru is touting the Tribeca as being superior to SUVs, but the mileage of it simply isn't much better and the operating costs are pretty comparable to common SUVs when you consider the premium fuel required (or at least recommended).

Our family is driving two Subarus currently, but I want something (perhaps) bigger than the Legacy/Outback. I'm having a hard time convincing myself a Tribeca is the solution. As long as I don't need a third seat, I can get a decent-sized AWD vehicle in a Dodge Magnum/Charger, Ford 500, etc.

Will I get Subaru reliability? Perhaps not, but that's not the only consideration.

Maybe Subaru should consider a larger wagon/sedan combo instead.
    Reply to #51 above: Get a Freestyle. Great MPG, Volvo chassis, good handling, CVT, quieter than a Camry at 70 mph.
This discussion has been closed.