Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja Real World MPG

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Report your real world mileage here.

Comments

• yooperyooper Member Posts: 30
    Last week I had to make a few trips along a 165 mile stretch of highway that has only one town to slow me down. My Baja posted 30.95 MPG and 30.16 MPG on respective tanks. I think I could have done a little better had I filled up as I came into town instead of driving around town for a while. It also helped that the speed limit on this highway was 55 mph.

Overall average MPG over 12,000 miles stands at 25.76 MPG.

The other odd thing was I saw another Baja (which I rarely see) the same color as mine at the hotel where I was staying. It drove through the parking lot and I did a double take thinking mine was being stolen.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, that's very Twilight Zone.

Your mileage is excellent, don't change your driving habits.

-juice
  • fast_fordfast_ford Member Posts: 10
    wow!

30+ mpg....I recently checked my mileage.
    Mixed driving a little of 28 with air on sometimes. Last week made a trip...highway miles
    at around 65-70 mph....I averaged around 29.1 with 87 octane. I think with 91 octane or more
    & a bed cover I think I could hit 30mpg. Overall
    I love my baja after 1 year & would definately buy another. I wonder what the real world mpg is for the turbo with sensible accerlation?

ff
    You're doing better than most, likely.

I'd expect about 25mpg average for a Sport and maybe 22 for a turbo.

We don't have a very big sample to judge from.

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    juice, why would the sport be different?

John
    I meant non-turbos, including the Sport model.

-juice
  • fritz9fritz9 Member Posts: 9
    After about 65,000 real world miles over all for that time I have averaged about 23 mpg. That's probably about a 50/50 split city and highway. Straight highway tank after tank it's up to about 24.5 an once in a while just breaking the 25 marker and the highway figures are mostly with 92 or 93 octane. Around town it is usually 21 or 22 and that is normally with 87, which is the lowest rating here.
  • rl1inparl1inpa Member Posts: 1
    Most of my driving is around town and some highway and I have never noted less then 25 mpg. (yes I have the turbo model). I recently had the oportunity to do a 300 mile trip with no stops or slow downs. I locked the cruise at 70 mph and noted 31 mpg. I'm very accurate about this stuff so I know its right. Keep the car tuned, keep the tires inflated correct and don't abuse the turbo and the mpg are actually pretty good. I tell people all the time, 99% of the time it's 100% of what I need. I love the car, truck, never really sure what to call it.
  • dcdamedcdame Member Posts: 24
    I've got a 2005 Turbo Baja (automatic) with 34K miles on it at present. Most of my driving is an 18-mile commute (each way), @ 5 miles on a back road (40 MPH, no traffic lights), another 9 or so on a divided highway with heavy traffic and many lights (sometimes I hit the 55 MPH speed limit for a few miles, but mostly it's up and down), then another 4 miles of city driving (35 MPH limit, lots of stop and go driving). I keep records for every tank of gas (always fill it) and my Baja averages 21 MPG, which is not bad in my opinion. This past December, I drove @400 miles, all but a few on interstate highways (where 70-75 MPH was common), and was delighted (in fact, shocked) to find that I averaged 27 MPG for the trip.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yup sounds about right. That 21mpg is real good. I get about 20 with my 05 LGT Turbo with MT.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.