Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buying used cars from out of state

13»

Comments

• Options
    joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Are you financing or paying cash for the car?
  • Options
    pasquali56pasquali56 Member Posts: 21
    We live in Collin County (near Plano) and just bought a used CR-V in Chicago (financed through American Honda). It's being shipped here next week. I would appreciate some help in figuring out how to get it properly registered -- and also pay sales tax. Is the following correct?

I think I first need to get the car inspected (I already have my insurance card with the proper VIN). Then I take all the sales documents from the dealership and the safety inspection sticker to my Collin County Tax Office and get it registered and pay the taxes there. Is that right? Another question: Will I get new Texas license plates or will I keep the Illinois plates? I'm new at this, so please forgive the dumb questions. Thanks.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

You'll have to get TX plates. The rest sounds accurate but first call those offices to verify you're doing things right.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Doesn't seem anyone has posted this question before, so here goes.

I am an NJ resident. Here, when we trade in a car, we get a credit towards the tax of the car we are buying. So, in other words, if you are buying a $12k car and trading in a $12k car, you pay no tax.

Now I'm looking to buy a car in Maryland and trade in my current vehicle. As above, if I did this in NJ, I'd pay no tax because my trade is worth more than the car we are purchasing. But how does this work with an out of state purchase? I'll get a bill of sale and have to register in NJ, at which time they'll want to charge me tax. Do I get some sort of "receipt" for the car I'm trading to use for the tax credit? Or does the fact I'm trading it in at an out-of-state dealership negate my credit?

any info would be appreciated.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Strongly suggest that you directly contact NJ officials to get a definitive answer.

I will say though that I was quite surprised when, as an Ohio resident trading a car at a Kentucky dealership, I still got the Ohio sales tax credit on trade worth 16 and a new car price of 25. Paid tax only on the 9 grand difference. I just had the dealer handle all the paperwork. They inititally balked (wanting to give me the MSO) until I pointed out that it's their responsibility to deliver a title to me.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Whenever we do out of state deals people have always gotten the tax credit assuming their state has a tax credit.

We do out of state deals for Mass all the time and I am doing one for NY right now. Guy is trading in a G35X worth about 10,000 more then the Volvo he is buying and so is paying no tax.

Keep in mind that we usually do the out of state reg for the customer unless the customer is paying cash then we let the customer do the reg on their own.
  • Options
    thanks, BR, that's helpful.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Dang, you get nice trades!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    "...I am doing one for NY right now. Guy is trading in a G35X worth about 10,000 more than the Volvo he is buying..."

Lordy, them New Yorkers is dumb. Who would trade a G35 for a Volvo? Besides, if he wanted a Volvo I just saw one going into Manheim with "slight" body damage the other day. Should be on a local lot soon. :lemon:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Heck, I'll do ya one better. I just traded a G35X for a Mazda! :b

• Options
    Yeah but was yours a 2008 with 18,000 miles on it?

That is what happen when their are job changes in a family and a 650 dollar a month payment just doesn't make sense anymore. With only 500 bucks out of pocket he more then cut his payment in half and got into a CPO Turbo AWD S40 with about two years and 35,000 miles of warranty.
  • Options
    Uhhh... no. Mine was quite a bit older.

Our situation is another baby on the way. So I'm cutting our payments from 805/mo (G35X and XC90) to $325/mo (Mazda 5 and a to-be-named POS cash car). Fortunately, my wife gets a 4-year younger car with 30k fewer miles out of the deal, so it at least seems like a smart move. And we did manage to keep the deal in state, so I only paid tax on the $2k difference.

• Options
    Did that deal on monday so we have the G35X now just haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Will probably get a chance to drive it thursday.
This discussion has been closed.