Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 450h Tire/Wheel Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited July 2014 in Lexus
Discuss tire and wheel issues for the Lexus GS 450h here.

Comments

• salsags450hsalsags450h Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my 2007 GS 450h and the front wheels generate a lot of brake dust. Kleen Wheels does not have a brake dust cover designed for the GS hybrid. Do you know of a manufacturer that makes a brake dust cover?
  • argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    (My God...I'm the only one to post here)...
    I've read and read many posts about winter tires and runflats but I remain really clueless. (I know NOTHING about tires -- always just kept whatever the factor tires are).

I am picking up my new 2007 GS450h tomorrow :wiggle:
    which comes with all-season runflats.

I currently have a BMW330xi with runflats which I have found to be loud and rough (I think) -- not sure how much is due to the runflats and how much is just characteristic of the BMW "road feel".

Anyway, my concerns with the GSh's run flats are:
    [1] How loud/rough they will be. (Hard to really tell from just a couple of test drives). I am looking forward to a more smooth and quiet ride than I had (which I am sure Lexus will deliver with or without runflats).

[2] What my winter performance will be. I know in the ideal world I could buy a second set of wheels and tires for winter (Lexus dealership will store and mount them free of charge), but that just seems like a hassle anyway.

I'm a car nut, but I know NOTHING about tires. :dunno:

If I wanted to get a good set of (non-runflat) all-season tires, any idea if I could get the dealer to credit me something for the brand-new runflats?

I know I should probably just take the car with the runflats and see how they work for me, but I really want to maximize my "thrill" with this new car immediately. Seems like the only downside to no run-flats is getting a flat tire and having to change it...

Thanks for helping with what I know had been talked-to-death...
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    I've had my 450h with the run flats since last May. My first couple of months I was convinced I would replace the tires with a softer riding set. I initially found the handling/ride quality trade-off to not be worth it (I came from a 2001 BMW 530i with Continental Contitrac tires which rode great and had excellent handling characteristics). After several months, I've grown to find the run flats to be acceptable, even though I drive daily on the less than ideal roads and highways in the NY metro area and NYC.

I don't find them to be too loud. It does however take getting used to the fact that the vehicle is so quiet that much of what you hear is tire on road noise.

With two minor snow storms hitting the NYC area over the last few weeks, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the run flats performed relatively well (my expectations aren't very high for a rear wheel drive car with these tires). It wasn't any worse than my BMW, which I attribute partially to all of the extra weight from the batteries. The traction control system works well.

Take the car with the run flats and give them a try. Look at it this way -- they'll only last about 15k miles anyway! :)
  • argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    Excellent -- that's good to hear, and good advice!
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    I have the runflats on my GS450h and have had no problems. They are somewhat rougher and noisier but one gets used to them. Except for size BMW uses the same tires. THe hybrid has a 50-50 weight distribution and a lower center of gravity so it handles and corners exceptionally well.
  • jlo_onejlo_one Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    I was told that there is no room for a spare tire so that is why they use the "run flats." You have no need for a spare tire.

dunno
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    There's room for a donut spare but not a full size one. Mine came with one. I think the determinant is whether they need the space for some optional electronics (stability/handling package or something?).
  • cbonettocbonetto Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide on buying a GS450h with or without the (pricey) pre-collision and active stabilization options. Are they worth it? does anyone have experience with both versions of the car.
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    My 450h was delivered with Bridgestone (summer) runflats. In trying to learn what is inside the carcass, apparently there are 3 or 4 different approaches...tire within a tire, gummy stuff that plugs the hole, extra stiff sidewalls, etc. The only information I can find on my tires is the Firestone/Bridgestone phamplet included with owners manuals which implies they use the gummy stuff. Going to their link there is no mention of the gummy stuff trademark...they don't even list the tire that is on the car. The Lexus dealership is no help...anybody have a clue? The only comments I can find in talking with some tire dealers is they are very expensive and must be special ordered.
  • frivolous56frivolous56 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 crossfire has the stock wheels, the front wheels always have alot of break dust on them. Would different brake pads help or is this something I need to get used to.
  • drivecatdrivecat Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased as set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season) tires which are highly rated by consumers on www.tirerack.com AND by my local tires retailer. After mounting, balancing, and a 4-wheel alignment done by the Lexus dealership where I purchased my GS450h, the car pulls to the right. (Even though the alignment was more expensive at the dealership, they convinced me to have them do it because the GS450h is a performance sedan with highly technical alignment adjustments that the "joe blow" tire shop can't do.) I brought it back and had the service/alignment technician confirm the pull. Unfortunately, after tweaking the toe & camber multiple times and over 3 weeks he was not able to eliminate the drifting/pull like with the OEM tires (which cost 50% more than even these Michelins). He even got a replacement set of Michelins from the tire distributor and the pull persisted. While the service manager at the dealership is nice, he is frustrated because the alignment tech has spent so much labor time on this. He's now telling me that he believes the pulling is likely being caused by the fact the tires have a DIRECTIONAL tread pattern, which apparently the OEM tires do not have. Bottom line question: Has anyone out there replaced their tires on their GS450h with ones that they are happy with and does not pull? If so, please kindly share the brand, model, and size you selected. Thanks in advance.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    There's a simple test to find out if the pull is related to tires or the alignment.

Swap the front tires, left to right.

1) If the oull changes direction - just the direction, not the magnitude - then it's the tires. A tire property called "conicity" (root word "cone")

2) If the pull doesn't change, it's the alignment.

3) If the pull disappears, or substantially changes (other than just direction), it's both tires and alignment.

My experience says that the published alignment tolerances are too wide. Not the target value, but the allowable deviation from that value. I think it ought to be half of what is published.

Put another way, the alignment should be within the inner half of the spec.

You should be aware that even vehicles that do not have a pull can be out of alignment. There are settings where one out of spec condition is offset by another out of spec condition – typically camber vs toe.

Also, many alignment techs think that if the factory did not make provisions to make adjustments for the alignment, then they can’t make an adjustment and will declare the vehicle “OK”. This is totally wrong.

ALL alignment settings are adjustable, but it may require an eccentric bolt, some shims, or slotting a hole. A GOOD alignment tech will know what to do and the vehicle should leave a shop with ALL the alignment settings close to the nominal.
This discussion has been closed.