Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Transmission Questions

bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
I test drove a 06 Civic Coupe (5 speed) and a Civic Si with a 6-speed stick. They feel different in terms of smoothness. The 5-speed on the Coupe is smooth and light.

In comparison, the 6-speed shifter on the Si is very smooth and light too. I call it 'effortless' to the extent that I didn't have much positive feedback (don't know if I shift it in the next gear or not)when I up or down shift.

I like the 6-speed one with some reservations. It's a little bit different from the shifter on the S2000. It's vastly different from the 6-speed on an Audi A3 and 5-speed shifter on the Porsche Boxster and Cayman (obviously in the different price range). Somehow I prefer the German shifters because it has some positive feedback and a bit heavier in feeling.

BTW, the 6-speed on an Acura RSX Type-s is similar to the one on Si but a bit heavier and less vague.

I've driven stick shift for 8 years. What's your experience with these 'effortless" Honda shifters? Thanks.

Comments

• bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
    I test drove a 06 Civic Coupe (5 speed) and a Civic Si with a 6-speed stick. They feel different in terms of smoothness. The 5-speed on the Coupe is smooth and light.

In comparison, the 6-speed shifter on the Si is very smooth and light too. I call it 'effortless' to the extent that I didn't have much positive feedback (don't know if I shift it in the next gear or not)when I up or down shift.

I like the 6-speed one with some reservations. It's a little bit different from the shifter on the S2000. It's vastly different from the 6-speed on an Audi A3 and 5-speed shifter on the Porsche Boxster and Cayman (obviously in the different price range). Somehow I prefer the German shifters because it has some positive feedback and a bit heavier in feeling.

BTW, the 6-speed on an Acura RSX Type-s is similar to the one on Si but a bit heavier and less vague.

I've driven stick shift for 8 years. What's your experience with these 'effortless" Honda shifters? Thanks.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    The gearbox in my 04' is the best I've ever driven. It's the snick-snick action that really impressed me the most.

Haven't driven the Si yet but logically, I don't know how much different the two fo them can be.
  • 1blackcivic1blackcivic Member Posts: 5
    it is up to you. if you like to put efforted in shifting gears than buy the Acura RSX but i know you really do love the effordless shifter :)
  • xmontxxmontx Member Posts: 18
    I'm not sure if it's me, but I've been having shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It just seems like I really have to ram the stick to 3rd gear. B/c one time I though I was in 3rd gear and it wasn't so it was grinding. Maybe b/c I'm not use to the short shift?

Is there anything to help the problem like change some fluid or something?
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Not sure what is the fix but I test drove an SI 4-dr. today and the shifter is certainly different than any 5-sp I've driven. I had to work it to get it to go into 6th as it required a definite effort to get it into 6th. It wanted to go back into forth gear instead of into 6th. This occurred several times and would require time to get use to. I had the car put on the rack and saw where the oil filter was located and decided I didn't want the hassell it would be to change it. I've been doing my own oil changes for 12+ years and will continue to do so. So hope the sticky throttle issue gets a fix too. POWERFUL engine and light clutch action but I'd get fatigued in Hotlanta traffic. So for me I'll have to get something with an auto.It was RED and had SPEEDING TICKETSSS written all over it!!! :shades: :P
  • graceypoograceypoo Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used Honda Civic which has 85k miles on it. I have been driving it for th past 3 months and now I have run into a problem. When I excelerate in 1st gear, the engine rives high until I take the gas away and then it shifts into 2nd. I was told that it might be the first to second shifter or it could be the transmission. Please type back if you have experienced this. Desperately need some hlep.
  • crxdxcrxdx Member Posts: 1
    Hi, what year is your Civic? From your description it sounds like your automatic transmission is acting like it is stuck in first gear and will not shift into 2nd until you let off the throttle. I have not heard of a first to second shifter, not sure who told you this one. Are you accelerating with the gas pedal to the floor? Assuming you are not it sounds like a shift modulator may have a problem. This would be easy for a reputable transmission shop to diagnose this (good luck in finding an honest transmission shop). The modulator would be a easy fix once you locate it on the transmission. I seriously doubt you have an internal problem with the transmission. Key would be to find an honest mechanic or a friend who could help you find the problem. I sounds like something very simple (read cheap to repair). Honda transmissions are strong units if cared for.
    In the morning, my manual car jolts alittle on first gear...but when it warms up it's totally fine. Is it b/c it's not warm? It's like inconsistent pressure on the gas pedal. Is it just normal for a cold manual car?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    to follow up on crxdx response, does this happen all the time, cold weather, in the morning, etc?
  • civicriderzcivicriderz Member Posts: 4
    lol .. i have auto Civic Ex .. and my car jolts .. seems the Gear shifts are made a bit tight .. espically when drivin with to a High RPM .. then takin ur leg of the acc. pad .. and then pressin it again .. the gear shifts and the whole car jolts forward .
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    There only 4 gear shift positions,1,2,3,and D.That is only 4. I researched and found that D is a 2 step overdrive
    with very little difference in the ratios.Why did they
    do this if not marketing ploy.A real gearhead might think about this.The fact that there is no detent between D and 3
    must mean you can run around the city in 3 and have lots of pep or leave it in D and settle for lethargic behavior.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I don't know what you are talking about. The fact is there are the following forward drive positions 1,2,3 and D is certainly not unique to Honda. I rented a 2007 Chevy Equinox last week that had only "D"..."I"(for intermediate I think)...and "L". These other positions simply allow the driver to keep the transmission in either 1st..2nd or 3rd gears for a limited time and specific conditions. Frankly I have never taken advantage of being able to keep the car in one of those gears for any reason and most,if not all,drivers will use "D" for all conditions. Drive or "D" simply upshifts or downshifts through all 5 forward speeds as needed by road speed...road conditions...driver input. You are incorrect there is no marketing ploy there are 5 speeds forward with 4th and 5th being overdrives. Without any specs in front of me 5th is probably more overdriven (less than a 1 to 1 ratio ) than 4th and the reason is fuel economy. It is a well known fact that most Honda automatics do not have detents or stops between "D" and the rest of the selections. It is an engineering slip. Consumer Reports has noted this for years in their testing of Honda cars and reported it is too easy for one to accidentally slip into 3. It does not mean you should (although you can) run around in 3rd for extra power..the transmission if left in "D" will downshift on demand for that.
    Oh yeah, I forgot another reason for the 5 speed automatic, it gives Honda bragging rights as most,if not all competitors have 4 speeds.
  • gdog75gdog75 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

I stumbled on this site and it looks like you guys all know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than me. Hopefully someone can help me identify my problem with my manual transmission 2000 Honda Civic si--the Canadian model if that makes a difference.

Basically over the past two weeks, I have noticed some significant shaking and shuddering in 2nd and 3rd gears. The shaking usually happens when I'm accelerating strongly--not quite flooring it, but not easing the accelerator either, somewhere in the middle. The RPMs don't jump or fall noticeably when the shaking is happening. A proper warmup of the engine doesn't seem fix the shaking either.

Let me know if anything springs to mind. Thanks a lot!

G :sick:
  • jetzeusjetzeus Member Posts: 1
    I know that sounds like operator error, considering it's a manual transmission, but no matter how smooth I am on the clutch, it is still a rough ride. I have been driving stick since I was a kid and this is the first car I have ever driven that I can't drive smoothly!

What is the problem? When shifting from 1st to 2nd with rpm's between 3000-4500, when I let out the clutch, the car has a very short (1/2 second) lurch forward, as if it is decelerating and then operates normally. It's almost like you're downshifting to slow down, but really, I am trying to accelerate!!

It took about 1000 miles of driving to figure out a way around it, but I did. The ONLY way to shift it smoothly in that RPM range is to do this: While moving shifter knob down to second gear, I have to MASH GAS PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. Then, while releasing clutch, slowly release pressure on gas pedal. This, if timed correctly, will make a smooth shift.

To me, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. What do you fine folks think?
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    The Civics have a "Throttle by Wire" accelerator now.
    It's no more controlled by a throttle cable, but instead by the pedal and the engine computer. People have complained that the engine rpm hangs for a few seconds between shifts and that is the effect that is given. If your car is fuctioning properly, that is about the only thing I see happening. I guess you have to relearn how to shift to make it smooth.
    I drove an Elantra where the rpm's hung, but it didn't seem to cause a problem for a smooth shift.
  • megrncmegrnc Member Posts: 1
    I love Honda. I had plans on buying more hondas someday. However, I'm really upset- I bought a brand new 2002 civic ex. This month I finally paid it off, and wouldn't you know, the transmission just died. It has 58K miles on it. It is at the dealership now, who has offered to pay the price of the transmission, but not for service or "freight". Has anyone else heard of this issue- transmission problems in civic 02s?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    A failed transmission at only 58k miles is very unusual on a Civic. If you are saying the dealership will pickup the cost of the tranny while you pay the labor, it seems fair since you are well out of the warranty. I would do some checking aroudn on the internet just to make sure there are no TSBs or recalls.
  • buffdizzlebuffdizzle Member Posts: 5
    I got my civic about a year ago. In august my mileage was about 7k . I began noticing that whenever i was parking and changed from drive to reverse and vice-versa, the transmission makes this loud "CLANK" noise. If anybody's had this issue or knows anything related, please share your knowledge.
    If it's what I am thinking, it's normal. Both my S2k and Impreza do this.
    I have the same noise you're talking about on my 2007 civic SI . I don't think it's a problem, b/c I heard similar noises on other cars. You can always talk to your mechanic when you get your car serviced again.
    Anyone have a problem with the popping out 3rd gear or transitions from 1->2 gear and 2->3 gear and then 4->3 gear? I heard from many people that changing the transmission fluid with GM syncomesh works and gets rid of the grinding/popping/shifting problems.

Also, what's the best transmission fluid should I be looking into?
    I use GM synchromesh FM in my S2000 and the shifting quality was improved because of it. I never had popping issues and grinding only occured in the cold mornings but overall shifting quality was "smoothed up".

Research has told me that the SM is the best one. Redline makes a fluid but I believe it's tempermental in the hot weather.
    By switching to GM synchromesh, will that void my warranty? Also what does "FM" stand for in GM synchromesh? Is it a higher transmission fluid?
  • vernfinvernfin Member Posts: 3
    I've got the same question. My s2000 is going into the dealer on Monday because of rattling in the transmission. Will they be able to tell that I've put in GM Syncromesh FM? The car is still under warranty and I'm worried they'll us the fluid as way out.
  • socalmike18socalmike18 Member Posts: 1
    The Civic SI tranny is most likely the same or close to the same as the RSX-S tranny. Which many people have had some big time trouble with. If the problem gets worst and continues use the lemon law. And as long as the GM Syncromesh oil is the recommended weight it won’t void a warranty. But I would recommend better oil... try Amsoil Syncromesh (they ARE the best). Go here for REAL oil syntheticperformance.com then click on Online Product Application Guide.">link title
  • civicviccivicvic Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a '95 Civic 4 days ago.....I need to know where on the transmission to locate my Vehicle Speed sensor (VSS)since my speedometer has been acting a lttle strange (other than that the car runs awesome!!)...Its been suggested to me that perhaps its sticking, but Im not sure.....I used to own a 91 Accord which started to have this problem but I wrecked it before I could fix it...anyone have any insight?
  • mthakershimthakershi Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, my civic ex 2007 is just 2 weeks old. I noticed the 'clank' sound last week but I think it is normal. But this morning something weird happened.

I was in 'drive' gear and wanted to stop the car completely as I wanted to make a right on a highway service road. The car was probably 7 to 8 mph at this time. It was just coasting and I was not applying gas. When I started applying the brake, instead of stopping, the car started surging ahead with some hiccups. That made me push the brake pedal harder but the car simply won't stop. Ultimately, I couldn't stop and had to make the turn without stopping. Fortunately, the approaching car driver had noticed this and had slowed down. I am sure I was not pressing gas pedal instead of brake. After this I drove about 10 miles but everything seems normal now. But if the car doesn't listen to the brake, it is obviously very dangerous. Please suggest what could be wrong.

Thank you so much.

Malay
  • neto314neto314 Member Posts: 1
    ">link titlemy honda 97 (automatic)civic drives for about 15 minutes and then won't move at all till it cools down. its there any sensor that would cause this problem, i replaced the engine and transmission and computer and it has the same exact problem. can anyone please help me....<a href="
  • clshahclshah Member Posts: 2
    This is a known problem on Civic Si's (and on RSX's with 6spd) that Honda won't acknowledge....very disappointing. see http://blogs.edmunds.com/?14@@/roadtests/558

Lemon law?
  • amunityamunity Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Civic EX Coupe with automatic transmission. About 55k miles.

When started with the egnine totaly cooled and accelerate somewhat hard the car will suddenly change gears and jump forward. I have never had it slow down suddenly. It acts as if I suddenly floored it where it has always been smooth. After a while, about 5 minutes of driveing it will transfer gears normally. The typical rpm I drive it at is 3k-5k. When I bought the car at 42k miles it never did this, it started acting this way about 54k.

Also, when I do floor it, even after driveing it for a while, it takes about a second for it to jump rpm to high and jet forward. Shouldent it be that as soon as I floor it it jets forward? Instant response? It has always done this.

Thank you in advance for the help.
  • sahondasahonda Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 92 HONDA DX THAT WILL NOT SHIFT INTO GEAR AND WILL NOT START. SOME ONE SUGGESTED THAT I NEEDED A NEW LOCK-UP SOLENOID BUT I WANT TO BE SURE BEFORE I BUY AN $200 PART.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Well a does not start problem, is totally different than a won't shift into gear problem.

So you turn the ignition key, and you hear what?
  • sahondasahonda Member Posts: 2
    ENGINE TURNS BUT WILL NOT CATCH
    Okay, so the only thing we know at this point is your starter is working.

You need three basic things for the engine to start. You need a fuel/air mixture, compression of the fuel in the cylinder, and a spark, all of those occuring at the right time.

What do you know about the condition of the spark plugs, and the spark plug wires?

What do you know about the fuel pump, fuel filter, and air filter? Can you smell gasoline, which would indicate too much gas or spark not igniting it.

Are there any engine noises that either have occurred, or are occuring which would leave you to believe there might be a piston, valve, or timing belt problem?

There could be a hundred things that effect the three basics needed, and you're going to need to find a way to eliminate 2 of them as not a problem, or focus on one because you know it is a problem.

And your posts would be easier to read if you didn't put everything in CAPS.
    I'm starting to notice and getting annoyed at when I shift into 3rd gear. I shift it into 3rd gear...and if I push alittle more into gear gear, there's this vibration (I'm not even pushing it hard or anything, just as if you're resting on it). There's no grinding noise from the car, but I get this vibration that happens in 3rd gear. What is it? Is it normal? What's the fix?
  • shaysheeshayshee Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have an automatic 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. About a week ago my 'Brake System' light came on and about a day after that when I turned on the car, my gearshift locked up. It was absolutely stuck - it wouldn't budge and the button on the shifter wouldn't give an inch. It took a couple of minutes of turning the car off and on before it worked. Since then, it's hit or miss...sometimes I can get out of park immediately, sometimes it's the same two minute struggle to get it into gear. Any thoughts? I can't get to the dealer until the weekend at the earliest. Is this some sort of defensive mechanism that's coming on because there's something seriously wrong with my brakes? (I got had the brakes checked when I got my oil changed a month ago and the mechanic said there was nothing wrong).
    I strongly feel your problem is related to the switch that depresses when you step on the brakes. Recently manufacturers have been placing a "lock" on the transmission gear selector lever. In the past many people were shifting into reverse (or drive for that matter) while not applying the brakes with the result being the car moved in an unintended or unexpected manner. This resulted in property damage or personel injury. So it is not possible to move the shifter out of park on a newer car without deliberately stepping on the brake. The switch I mentioned does double duty (I believe) by both illuminating your brake lights and signaling to "unlock" the shifter because now you have your foot on the brakes....your switch is faulty or the mechanism that should "unlock" the shifter is. Your brakes are fine however as is the transmission. Return to the dealer and relate the problem to the service dept and it should be fixed in no time.
    A further possibility has come to my attention. If you are still monitoring this site Honda has issued a recall for this very thing. The recall number is 07V402000. I do not have the specifics on exactly which models and SN's are affected but have a good idea of the symptoms and reasons. If you want to contine exploring this reply to this, my latest post.
    I haven't gotten any response to my earlier post about the vibration i'm getting from my 3rd gear (i did change the transminssion which helped the notchy gear shifting from 2nd to 3rd)

but if anyone can help me out with the vibration problem that would be great...

my old post is #38: "I'm starting to notice and getting annoyed at when I shift into 3rd gear. I shift it into 3rd gear...and if I push alittle more into gear gear, there's this vibration (I'm not even pushing it hard or anything, just as if you're resting on it). There's no grinding noise from the car, but I get this vibration that happens in 3rd gear. What is it? Is it normal? What's the fix?"
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I've heard a HUGE number of complaints about the 2-3 gear change on other boards. Some say using GM Syncromesh, Redline MTF, or Amsoil MTF will at least partially solve the problem, however, some dealers say that doing so will void the warranty on the tranny. Others claim that that the 2-3 shift has been a Honda characteristic for a number of vehicle generations and don't expect Honda to address it anytime soon.

I know that this doesn't help you much, but there it is.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tucker0104tucker0104 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Civic that has been having some transmission problems lately. When shifting from reverse to Drive (D4) or Park to Drive (D4) it sometime takes a little while for the light on my dashboard to show up green and is also taking a while to put into Drive. Also, when on the highway, the D4 light will go out and the car's RPM will go up about 500 RPM. It is not shifting to D3 because D3 at 75MPH will put it about 5K RPM. It normally goes from about 3250 to 3750 RPM. Does anybody know what this is? Has anybody encountered this?
  • jdelabrejdelabre Member Posts: 57
    I have a new 07 Civic Si sedan with 2500 miles and its harder to get into 3rd gear then the other gears, whats up with this??? Also the rev's stick after taking my foot off the gas, it hangs there for 3-4 seconds???
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Both are well known and very typical problems with the Si. Your dealer may claim ignorance of the fact, however, 8th Si boards across the internet have many-many threads on both issues.

Regarding the 3rd gear issue, there have been some recent reports that Honda has just or is about to release some sort of a fix (over and above the upgraded fluid fix of a year ago or so) that includes new gears and syncros.

As for the rev-hang, that is a component of the drive by wire throttle system that keeps the emissions low. There have been numerous firmware updates that have allegedly been written to address the problem. Have your dealer check to see of the latest throttle firmware is in place.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • civic91civic91 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 1991 CIVIC AND BEFORE THE CAR CAME TO A COMPLETE STOP I PUT IT IN PARK. AFTER THIS IT HAS HAD A SLOW TRANSMISSION LEAK AROUND THE RIGHT FRONT OF THE CAR. WHAT COULD IT BE?
    Do I understand your situation correctly that the car was moving, and you put it into park before the car was stopped. From that time till now, you have a leak from the transmission around the front of the car.

Do you know for sure that it is transmission fluid? Can you see where it is leaking from? Does the car drive any differently or have any other symptoms that are now different, than the way it was before you did this?
  • civic91civic91 Member Posts: 2
    Yes the car was moving and had almost come to a stop when it was put in park with a thud. Yes it is trans but I can't see where from other than it is on the right front even though the transmission is on the left. Thank you for your reply...
    Well if you are going to try and diagnose this yourself, you're going to need to get under the car and see where it is leaking.

How is it that you know this is transmission fluid?
    Well if you are going to try and diagnose this yourself, you're going to need to get under the car and see where it is leaking.

How is it that you know this is transmission fluid?
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    I almost could not move the shift lever back from R to Park or N twice today.
    I had to use a lot of force to put it back to Park. It seemed to stuck inside the transmission gear box (Brake pedal and release button were fully pressed).
    I bought this 96 CIVIC last month, I did notice the gear selection was not smooth. I had lubricated inside gear lever box, but it did not help.
    Even with engine off, insert key in shift lock and push down it, very hard to move shift lever from P to R-N.
    I am afraid one day, I would be able to drive in reverse only.
    Any helps to identify the problem/fix would be greatly appreciated