Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    dski, you may want to try KYB or Blistein. Monroe is not very good. The front shock would be expensive, but the rear one should be fairly reasonable.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    I would also strongly consider an adjustable shock if available. Put on some new shocks on the car and was not too happy, too stiff. Seems the aftermarket shocks run stiffer than the OEM, at least that has been my experience.
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    I saw an article about the Jeep Liberty rolling over during the Autoweek testing...Did Autoweek test the Montero, and if so, anyone know the results?

And, in the realm of stupid human tricks, how low has anyone got their gas gauge? Got mine down to 23 miles yesterday, at which time the mileage meter turned orange, began to blink, and began to curse me quite rudely in Japanese.

In the realm of uselesss trivia, when I took it in to the gas station to fill it up, I noticed something kinda cool, and actually useful (although it won't be useful to you unless you like to sit in your car while filling it up and blare your stereo. It's cold where I live, so sometimes I won't stand outside.). If you turn on your radio while filling up (but not the engine, that's illegal in Wisconsin, but in the NASCAR run deep south, it's probably allowed and even encouraged), the mileage meter will (of course) be on, and it goes up while the tank fills. Now, I can blare my stereo, and when the mileage range gets up to about 350, I know its about full...No more sitting with the stereo down low, waiting to hear the pump finish!

And the best part, when the mileage meter hits about 200 miles, the navigation screen is replaced by a rolling video of scantily clad women playing beach volleyball.
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    I've see the flashing orange display on the remaining millage computer but haven't gone much below your 23 miles. I would also like to know what happens when it goes to "zero".

At the other end of the scale, I have been able to have the display go up to 401 miles by shamelessly disregarding the "do not top off" warning inside the fuel filler door. Has anyone ever seen a higher number?
    The zero thing is a good point--I wonder if there is any reserve beyond zero (kind of like the inverse of the amplifier setting of eleven in the movie "Spinal Tap".).

You may want to be careful topping off your tank though; supposedly this is bad for the catalytic converter. But hey, if you haven't had any problems, why not try going for 450, or even 500?
  • dusterduster Member Posts: 37
    How much are dealers charging for running boards?
    Is there a cheaper source? Carmax wanted $74 an
    hour for 4 hours to install them on my XLS.
    4 hours seems excessive, any advice would be
    helpful.
    If you can turn a wrench, it will takes you less then 1 hour. I did it in 45 minutes, did not even have to jack the car up.
    Thanks for the info, did you buy them at the dealer? I think they run about $300.
    I bought them at dealer, close to $300 out the door but no regret. I like mine.
  • chrnoschrnos Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I was going to change the oil filer on my montero sport XLS 2001 and could not find the oil filter! does anyone know where it is hiding. The manual stinks, it does not give any information
    Look for filter of year 2000 model or before, any 3.5 engine will do. I used Motorcraft Fl-810
  • chrnoschrnos Member Posts: 2
    I need to know exactly where the oil filter is sitting on the engine of a montero sport XLS 2001. I was going to change the oil and could not find where the oil filter is? I do feel embarrassed.
  • bohlynbohlyn Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2001 Montero down to 0 on a trip once and we could not find a gas station open, drove for quite awhile like that and never ran out of gas. Don't know if there is built in reserve, but glad the computer is not right on the dot. Love my Montero.
  • ibrollinover4uibrollinover4u Member Posts: 19
    NM
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Oil filter is located on the front drivers sides of engine. You have to remove the shields to get to it.
    OK -- 2001 Montero LTD Power steering pump is now starting to get noisy after it warms up. Can someone give me a link to the site with the service bulletin with reference to this problem?

I know, I know, I should have saved it when it was first mentioned on this site.

I know it is not a recall.

I think Viet2, and others have information -- can you please post it for me?

Thanks in advance.

-PHOnos
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    No aftermarket shocks available. At least that's what I'm being told everywhere.

These things should last longer than 43K IMO and I've only been off road a few times.

Dealer gets $150 per. I really don't feel like spending $300 plus labor for OEM shocks. I want something BETTER! I suppose with OEM I could just replace one. I just always think of these things in Pairs.

This along with unexplained noises in the drive train/ Tranny and lots of rattles and squeaks now with colder weather setting in --- I'm losing Faith here.

If anyone knows of available aftermarket rear Shocks for the 2001's, Please let me know.

Drew
    Check for air buble in the reservoir. Video tape/record the noise and bring it to the dealer.
  • sgbassinsgbassin Member Posts: 22
    anyone tow a trailer or a boat close to 6000 lbs.
    thinking of buying a new boat would hate to trade in my full size Montero-- thanks
  • rs_rogersrs_rogers Member Posts: 16
    My gauge (display) almost routinely goes to 428 miles when I fill it up. Has been over 450 extended road trips.

I get around 16 MPG in town and 19-20 MPG on the highway at 72mph.

2001 Montero Ltd.
    I bought my XLS last month, I have not made my first payment yet. I was driving my daughter to school and had my mother-in-law in the front seat. A 2001 Dodge Carvan drove across 6 lanes at 40 miles
    and slammed into my the driver side door and front wheel well. The van pushed me off the rode into a yard. I was taken to hospital I have a soar back and neck. My daughter is fine and my mother-in-law is still a pain in my neck! Thanks to God and 4,500 lbs., we made it.
    The van was totaled the driver was ok, she should not be driving in the first place!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    duster,

Thank goodness you're okay!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    [No aftermarket shocks available. At least that's what I'm being told everywhere.]

Did you check KYB? A couple weeks ago, I check the price of the rear shock for my brother's 98 Montero, and the quote was 37.50 each.
    Thanks for the update and sorry to hear it, hope all is well. You certainly provide real world data on how well the Montero handles crashes. Others have reported safe outcomes as well. Seems the real world tests might even be better than the experimentally designed tests.
    Had my tires rotated/balenced. Only very minor weight changes needed on one wheel. Guy doing the job had a 2001 Montero as well.

He told me something very interesting. He changed to a non adjustable gas shock and this took out all of the body roll on side to side transitions and when pulling into a turn while also hitting a dip. He was extremely pleased with this simple change and encouraged me to do the same.

I looked at a recent shock review article in 4wd and it seems the Rancho product rated high on all vehicles acorss all tests. They didnt test the fully adjustable shock which could probably even be dialed in better.

Was woundering if any of you have tried Rancho shocks and what your experience was. I am seriously considering going with the adjustable 9000 model. About $70 each retail but deals can probably be had. More expensive but I like the fact of the adjustability. Looked at the rig and discussed the shock change with the tire shop and it looks like a simple, at home, job.
    Last weekend a friend of mine told me too late to see the show but it was a 20K mile report on the Motero. Apparently they gave it high marks and joked about the roll over claim.

Did anyone else catch the show?
  • ibrollinover4uibrollinover4u Member Posts: 19
    nm
  • vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    Anybody notice a loud gear whine when they go into reverse? Mine is really noticeable and i have a hearing problem.

Also I have tried to put several different compasses in the Monti and I have not had any luck.

It appears that there are a number of electric fields in the vehicle that won't allow the compass to calibrate. My hand held satellite compass works fine.
    I went to the body shop this morning to see my Monty, it looked bad, but it held up really well.There were two gashes in the driver side door.The side marker and wheel well were bashed in and the alloy rim was damaged. The suspension appeared to be damaged. The estimate that Geico gave me was $2,830. (without the suspension damage) The body shop stated more like $7,000. It's amazing that the door frame was bent, but it held tight and protected me. My truck will never be the same. I only had 600 miles on it. But I am alive and only have a strained neck and back. Also, the Monty did not roll on it side, if I had a CRV I bet it would have. Thanks, for the good wishes!
    I would go straight to a GPS unit, the Garmin 3plus and 5 are very nice. I have the 3 and will probably sell it to someone and get the 5 which sports more memory. You download maps into this memory and get topo level detail while driving around.

These units have many other features including a compass feature.

Most of the dual sport motorcyclist, 4wder's, etc are going straight to these units now.

Take a look, besides cost and some learning you wont be disappointed.

I would even sell you my GPSIII cheap so I can justify getting the V (the V is in the $400 dollar range now so its not for everyone)

Good luck
    Thanks for the offer. I have a hand held GPS that works fine but it doesn't take maps etc.

I would like one that does all the above and also plot your route and then tell you where to turn etc. My wife does a pretty good job with that. My problem is with a small learning disability that means I can only take one instruction at a time or else I reach overload.

It also appears that the talking units run about $2000. That is a bit steep right now. I have on occasion used my hand held Ham radio for directions, mostly in South Carolina and upper Florida.

Anybody want to comment on the reverse whine of the Monti? Thanks.
    Many vehicle whine in reverse due to the nature of the gears. They are generally much lower.

Are you sure this "whine" has not been there all along?
    Yes, mine started this recently. I don't think it's normal at all. Sometimes it sounds more like a vibration of a thin metal piece of some sort as well.

This did not start until I reached approx 40K on the odometer. I also get some strange whining noised now during normal forward driving. Of course I haven't been able to replicate the noised at the dealer service.

I'm confused about recent comments on after market Shocks. I've called everyone to find a replacement for my Blown Shock and they all report the same thing after researching - Nothing available for the new '01's yet. Where are you guys finding them - Specialty Off-Road shops perhapse? I don't want something that will compromise highway ride. For now, I'm just going to replace with OEM - ONLY the ONE bad shock for $150!!!! That's rediculous but the only option I can find. Hopefully by the time the second goes, I'll have a better option. Or I'll have already trade for a Pathfinder.

Drew
  • rbc3azrbc3az Member Posts: 6
    I had this problem on my 2001 Montero. The metallic sounding rattle occured if I switched to Reverse or even Drive. It was most noticeable right after switching to Reverse.

The dealership diagnosed it as a serpentine belt problem. I didn't really believe that a fan belt could cause the metallic rattle. However, they replaced it and the rattle WENT AWAY!

I'm not sure if this really fixed the problem but so far so good.
  • marshallmanmarshallman Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2002 Montero Limited. We love it. One annoying thing, though; I am 6'4" and with my driving position the parking brake lever is at the "perfect" height to dig into the side of my knee. Wish it was on the other side. Other than that and a little too much body roll for my liking, it's a great vehicle.
  • amers2amers2 Member Posts: 6
    My montero also started to make a whining noise, but mine happens when going uphill around 45-50 mph. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
    I guess C.R. was right about the Monti Sport. I can't believe that the Montero and the Sport were designed by the same company.
    I was told by Rancho to ask the dealer if the part numbers on the 00 and 01 Montero for the shocks are the same. The dealer told me yes but this is key and should be rechecked before buying the shocks. Rancho rep then said he has the RS9000 (5 way adjustable) for the 00 montero and since the part number is the same then they should fit the 01 Montero.

I have also looked at the Rancho RSX. These are by the same company as Monroe and they make a similar shock. What these two do is open and close a valve very fast to allow for sudden bumps to be soaked up but still provide a firm ride otherwise with good rebound control.

I am not sure which would be better, manual adjustments (rs9000) or the new RSX (fully automatic). Everyones review seems to indicate that the Monroe and Rancho versions of the RSX are great but I keep thinking I would have more control for personal taste with rs9000.

Now I dont yet know if the RSX or Monroe version of the same are available for the 01 Montero but I would give them model year 00 and see.

Again, I would verify that the dealer states the shock part numbers are the same. This is what one dealer told me. Dont want to steer you wrong.
    Could be the same one I am now experiencing from what I think is the power steering pump when the fluid foams. There is a TSB on this item. It is not a recall, but I had a rather pleasant encounter with the service department at Anaheim Mitsubishi in Orange County CA. on Friday regarding this item and the "fun house mirror", as someone described it in an NTSB complaint.

It seems the whole attitude of the service department at Anaheim has changed from my last visit. I took the 2001 Montero LTD in for a 26,000 mile oil change on Friday, armed with the TSB titles and numbers from the NTSB and AllData web sites as well as print outs of all the discussion on this site of the BS that Viet2 had to go through with his dealer to get the power steering tank replaced.

The service consultant, Joe Garza was very pleasant, asked for and wrote down the TSB numbers on the work order and voila', the larger power steering tank is on order, as is a new drivers side mirror. Both are "n/c" warranty items.

He also said they would, and they did check for any oil leakage from the front drive disengage switch gasket. (None noted, and I have noted no oil under the vehicle when parked in the garage.) This is a fairly common, under warranty replaced, item on the 2001 Montero.

Based on this last experience I think I can recommend Anaheim Mitsubishi's Service Department to SoCal Montero owners.

For what it's worth, I believe, the Mitsubishi dealers at La Puente, Tustin Auto Center, and Victorville, CA are all under the same ownership.

-PHOnos
  • amers2amers2 Member Posts: 6
    Under what conditions does your montero start to whine,and where can i print out the tsb's? Also, the brakes recently started squeaking, and the dealer said they couldnt replicate it. I took them for a drive, and it squeaked a couple of times, but they said the brake pads are fine, and theres nothing they could do about it if they cant replicate it on a regular basis. Anybody have any ideas as to what i should do to get them to fix it?
  • clay5004clay5004 Member Posts: 3
    At 13K I started feeling a shudder when I applied the brakes. Dealer said my rotors were warped, as the Montero was a "heavy" car. I was given the option of turning them or waiting til the brakes wore out. Waited, had them turned, drove 3000 miles severe shudder returns. Anyone else?
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    Haven't been here in a while due to the fact I just bought a 97 M3, but I've got about 12k on the LTD and I thought I'd share a few pros and cons.

Cons: what's the deal with those hooks/latches that stick up in the rear storgae area? Makes sliding stuff in difficult. My car seems to have a sticky gas pedal, as it's difficult to accelerate from a stop smoothly. On more than one occasion I've refilled the tank (not to full) and the mileage left readout didn't auto set, and thus didn't give an accurate reading of what's left in the tank. Is it me or is the silver paint on the plastic exterior VERY delicate and prone to chips? My dealer installed running boards still seem loose even after the dealer tightened them and said they would tighten no more due to fear of stripping the thread. No in-dash nav system (or is there now?). Squishy brakes (but maybe that's because I'm used to the M3 :')). No tilt/telescoping steering wheel (I feel too far when my legs are positioned correctly). Tumbling rear seats eat up lots of room when they're out of the way.

Pros: very good visibility, above average ride quality, plenty of room for passengers (I always end up driving whenever we have more than three people), good looks (though 17" rims a la Explorer XLS would have been a nice touch), better than I expected acceleration at highway speeds, rear A/C, heated seats, good audio system, and overall a good buy for the bucks. It gets about 15 mpg and ~350 gallons per fill-up, which I feel is quite good for a vehicle of its size.

Anyway, these are my observations during the first 12k miles. YMMV.
    I have the Mitsu cargo bay cover for the back--keeps the back nice and clean, and gets rid of the problem with those pesky hooks (there are cut outs for the hook on the cargo cover, but I elected to leave them alone so it would stay flat). I made the dealer throw one in when I bought it--don't know how much they cost, but they fit all the knooks and crannies perfectly, and have raised edges to keep liquids from draining underneath.

The only bad thing was it took forever and a lot of weight to get the thing to flatten out completely. I turned this into a positive by making my mother in law sleep back there whenever she comes to visit--keeps her out of the house, and my cargo liner stays flat as a board.
    Clay... It sounds like someone is not properly Torquing the Lugs when replacing the wheels during service or tire rotation.

This was a big issue with me when I owned a Dodge Truck. The dealer always used a torque stick on an air gun. It always resulted in unevenly torqued lugs which will warp rotors quickly.

I always insisted on Hand Torquing from that point on and never had the problem. At one service, I forgot to tell them and the next day I had the Brake Vibration or Shuddering from Warped Rotors again. Frustrating but it proved my point with the dealer. After that last incident, I borrowed a torque wrench to see if they in fact got it wrong. Every Lug was off dramatically. They guy who I borrowed the tool from was an NFL lineman and he couldn't even remove a couple of the lugs! Now that I found amazing. The killer was that the dealer would not pay for the rotors to be turned, so after several years of my loyal business, I never returned.

Drew
    Phonos,

I went to my dealer and they stated the steering issue was resolved with something that increased flow but not a whole larger tank. They were not going to replace anything unless it makes noise. IS there a TSB or something else on this I can take in?

With respect to the mirrors, they told me mine is not affected. Is this possible, some Monteros have different mirrors out of the factory. Do you know anything about this, is there a TSB on this one or information on build date re mirror replacement?

Clay..agree with the comment on proper torque for disk brakes. Whether you now need new rotors or can turn again make sure they use a torque wrench. Montero calls for between 79-87 lbs or something like that. I had my wheels rotated and the tire shop (not dealer) stated 85lb would be proper.

Good luck
    Was it the drivers or passenger mirror that was replaced. I thought the discussion in the past was the passenger mirror?
  • rs_rogersrs_rogers Member Posts: 16
    These are for the rear tethers on infant seats. If you have infants and toddlers, you need them. But, the 2001 Montero also has the new "latch system" that work with some of the new infant carriers and toddler seats that are coming out now.
    There is/was a TSB for the passenger side mirror. I really don't know if it affects my Montero or not. Seems OK to me.

However there is a lot of previous discussion of the "fun house" mirror effect on the drivers side on the archived predecessor forums. i. e. "Full Size Montero", and "2001 Montero".

In my case, armed with these discussions from the above forums, all I asked was for them to look at the mirror (no TSB on this one), they agreed about the distortion and agreed to replace it under warranty.

On the power steering whine --which occurs after the unit warms up (30-50 miles), then engine stopped, then re-start and, in my case turn the wheels to the left stop, then back to center -- I don't know what the actual TSB says. I only had print outs of the titles and numbers and the discussions (primarily from Viet2) and asked them to look at the actual TSB. They believed me when I said it was making a noise. It was their call to order a new tank.

I wish I had bookmarked the message input numbers so I could give them to you, but alas, I did not.

I took the rear child safety seat hooks out, and just replaced the bolts -- much easier sliding things in and out. If I ever think to look in the hardware store, I may buy some flat plastic snap in covers for the bolts/holes in the carpet.

Been living with brake noise for over year now. It's worse when the weather is hot/dry. Goes away with precipitation/cold. I don't think there is really anything to do about it except turn the rotors/replace the pads/pray/turn up the radio volume.

I can't find aftermarket off-road shocks specifically for the 2001 Montero either. The 2000 model Rancho may fit, but nobody will guarantee it. I've check the web sites of a number of manufacturers including KYB, and several Australian supplier's web sites.
    As I stated in a earlier post, Rancho makes the RS9000 for the 2000 Montero and one dealer told me they were the same shocks model year 00 and 01. If this is true we have one of the better rated shocks available. Also, would like to see if the Rancho RSX will fit the 00 (hence the 01) as this is another alternative in a new technology that some claim to work well.

There is a young guy that works at the Les Schwab tire store in my area that found a good set of gas shocks that took all the excessive motion without adding hashness but I cant remember which brand. Perhaps if I am in the area I can ask him again if I remember what he looks like.

Otherwise, I am going to contact another dealer and try and verify whether the 00 and 01 shocks are the same part.