Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Speedometer

jmaherjmaher Member Posts: 4
I was driving I-70 the other day, looked down and noticed that my speedometer showed well past 120MPH when I obviously was not going that fast. I pulled over, stopped the truck, and my 0 speed was shown as 90MPH. I turned off the key thinking that the system would reset, and when I turned it back on I seemed to gain back about 5MPH, so my 0 speed was now shown as 85MPH. Over the next few days it eventually got back to 0MPH through normal usage and it's been okay since. I recently when on a long trip that was about 90% cruise control and had no problems. Any ideas what the problem was and my chances of having this recur?

Comments

• saidiansaidian Member Posts: 1
    My wife was driving our '03 Trailblazer LT (52,200 miles)when the speedometer showed her doing 110 mph. Had to wait a week be finally took it to the dealer. :confuse: The dealer told us that it was the motor in the panel and the panel would have to be replaced. At the same time we where having problems with the AC/Heat fan control (wouldn't work on 5 occasionally) and was told there was a short in the Fan Control Module. Total repair bill for both, $649.02. GM Service told me that I have to pay for the repairs as I'm out of warranty. Thing is, I've had it in to 2 different dealers on 3 separate occasions for the fan and they couldn't find the problem. Now that I'm out of warranty they won't pay for the fix. Convenient, huh! :mad: Speedometer fails at near 50,000 miles and they don’t take responsibility let alone failures during warranty. Criminal. They know there's nothing the average Joe can do. My suggestion, save your self the aggravation and buy something other then a GM product.
  • marty11marty11 Member Posts: 3
    I have been having the same problem but with my tach., It would read higher than the rpm's of the engine and never go back to "o" when the engine was shut off. I've tried disconnecting the positive on the battery to reset the computer,This worked one time and now the gauge stays up at around 7000 rpms. I've replaced the fuse and that did not solve the problem. I have a 2004 TB-EXT/72K and the only other problem was when the cruise control would not work while on a trip,but when I stopped for the night it was ok the next day. I think its in the multi function column but the garage is puzzled. :confuse:
  • manda2manda2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 is having similar problems except my speedometer and rpm both show 0 in the cold weather and won't start working until the weathers about 60 degrees. From what I've read it has to do with the cluster but I'm going to complain to chevy and see if I can get them to something about it. My husband works at a car place and says lots of chevys have problems like this and it would really help if I could get people to tell me if they have problems when I write to chevy. Thanks
  • jworkmanjworkman Member Posts: 27
    I work in a GM dealership, in the parts dept, and we replace abot 10 instrument clusters a week. They are expensive (300-500 dollars just for the cluster, depending on model), they are annoying, and they are JUNK. And there is really nothing to do but replace them when they go bad.

And if you are out of warranty, throwing a fit in the service dept. won't get it fixed any cheaper, I promise you.
  • goodgirl71goodgirl71 Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed when the weather is cold my 2004 TB's speedometer will either read 0 or it will shoot up to 90mph and will stay there but as the weather warms up, it will eventually reach back to 0mph. The first time I noticed this, my car was at 55K miles. The second time this happen my car was at 57K miles. Both times this happen it snowed in my area.

Talked to a guy that used to work at the Chevy service department and he said that it was a common problem with 04 Chevy's. The speedometer cluster can cost between $300-500 to replace. The cheapest I've found online was between $175-280 (doesn't include labor).

I've been searching online to see if it was a recalled product but haven't found any info yet.
  • dhamernikdhamernik Member Posts: 8
    Unfortunately, Chevy made a poor decision with their choice in their instrument panel. My mother, who drives an '03 Suburban, and myself (an '04 trailblazer) both lost our speedomters between 39k-41k (I am wondering if Chevy has done this on purpose, it seems to go out as soon as your warranty expires). :mad: I have since lost my RPM too. There is NO recall on this item, and yes, the cost is $300-500 depending on the dealership. I have driven many cars (and Chevys) and have never seen the issues I have seen with the newer model trucks and SUV that Chevy is producing. It is a tragic disappointment to our American Made motor company that is going to cost them dearly in the long run.... :lemon: :lemon:

Not a fan of Ford here but at least they acknowledge and correct their errors....Unlike Chevy. :(
    P.S. It truly has nothing to do with the weather, I am in Southern California and some days my speedometer appears to be close to accurate, other days it points STRAIGHT DOWN! Weather could be the same, it doesn't matter.
  • marty11marty11 Member Posts: 3
    Hi manda2, First it was the tach, Now it's the speedometer. Went crazy for about 2 weeks and now it works fine. Waiting for the next time for it to go out. Again the garage can not figure it out, They just want to replace it. The hole cluster. The way it looks now the rest of the gauges should start acting up. The temp. out side was in the 50's when it went out.
    So I'm still confused and waiting on a good reason to replace the hole cluster
    It has to be something stupid thats causing this to happen.
    Good Luck/Let me know
  • handyman825handyman825 Member Posts: 1
    in response to speedometer cluster problems, it seems to be a big prob with chevy trucks & suvs. The prob is a stepper motor that is behind instrument panel, one for each needle.
    I fixed my own cluster with one i bought on-line for about ten bucks and a soldering iron. The guy will also rebuild it for you if you aren't confident to do it yourself. Look under "stepper motor for (your vehicle)speedometer cluster"
  • bob413bob413 Member Posts: 2
    How do I get in touch with this stepper motor guy?
  • morramorra Member Posts: 2
    I had my truck for 2 yrs. My TB speedometer is now dead, it lays in a dead area. At 1st it would have a delay in starting up when I was taking off then it will jump to were it needed to be at then it will about 100mph when I was going 50mph. I tried a couple of times I tried to reset the speedometer by taking the positive cable off the battery but you can only do that so many time. I had a mechanic check out thinking it was the sensor but to no avail it was the eletrical wiring that is the problem. I had taken the TB to a dealer but they are wanting atleast $6000.00 to repair. Oh my, I did not win the lottery. I just drive real careful & guess on the speed hopefully not to get a speeding ticket. Is there any resolution to repairing this? Can anyone help me. :confuse: :mad: :( ">link title
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I think you need to visit a different dealer. $6000 to repair this type of problem is ridiculous, unless there's something else wrong that we not being told of.
  • dtravaodtravao Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 trailblazer and have been expierencing this problem since shortly after I bought it. The dealer had told me that they could not find the problem since it always seemed to work when I took it in. This year my gas gauge completely failed and no longer works. I was finally able to get the problem diagnosed but now I am passed my waranty so they will not fix it. GM has just sent out letters to 03-04 Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban and Avalanche owners extending a waranty on their clusters for this exact problem, I have been on the phone with them for two days and all they tell me is that they have not had enough complaints to add Trailblazer to the extension. We all need to call and voice our complaints even if you have since had it fixed.
  • matt3680matt3680 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2004 Trailblazer. I first called the dealer to see what they would do, which was nothing since there is not even a safety alert for the Trailblazer. So I called Chevy corporate and the person I talked to recorded all my info and told me that not enough people complained about the issue in Trailblazers for there to be any kind of action taken. Knowing this, I agree that everyone that has a Trailblazer with this problem should call Chevy corporate and complain so the company will fix this mistake that they made. I would post the number, but I don't know if I am allowed to by Edmunds.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Phone numbers are a problem since they change frequently and someone may try your number in a few years and get something unexpected. And then the person called gets irritated and contacts our help desk.

A link to corporate is preferred since hopefully Chevy will keep their contact info updated there.
  • jeffrichjeffrich Member Posts: 1
    I just started experiencing the same problem. It's below freezing in my area for the first time this year and my speedometer is reading a lot faster than it should. As per the encouragement from previous messages, I called and filed a complaint. EVERYONE MUST CALL CHEVROLET AND FILE A COMPLAINT. As per the Chevrolet Customer Service Desk, they must receive a set number of complaints for the same problem before they will issue a recall. What exactly is that number he would not say, or how many complaints have been filed with the same speedometer problem that I reported. Bad news is that the repair will cost approximately 450 dollars. The only hopeful news is that IF Chevy issues a recall, I can be reimbursed the the repair. The number that my dealer gave me was (800) CHEVUSA. Through that number I got (800) 222-1020 which eventually got me in touch with a person. Please call and file a complaint. It will help us all!

Thanks,
    Jeff
    :sick: With the news that GM is admitting there is a problem with their instrument panels in the 2003 and 2004 Tahoes, Suburbans, etc....I contacted GM Customer Service (800-630-2438) about my 2004 Trailblazer. They are having me take it in to the local Chevy dealership this week to get it diagnosed ($98 out of pocket no matter what) to see if they will cover it. I will update you once I find out how this turns out, but I would call them...Maybe if we all call, they will issue the same recall/refund policy on our Trailblazers as well. :cry:
    P.S. Once the speedometer goes out, the rest of the instrument panel will start to go as well. I have los the speedometer, the tachometer, and now the gas gauge....
  • dreamz2sweetdreamz2sweet Member Posts: 1
    Same problem. It started once the temp hit below freezing in my area for the first time this year also. My speedometer was reading a lot faster than I was going, for example it said 120mph when I was going about 10mph. Everyday is different with the wacky speedometer, one day it will read 0mph, the next it will work and so on. I bought it used and it has 83,000 miles on it.

As the previous message states:

"As per the encouragement from previous messages, I called and filed a complaint. EVERYONE MUST CALL CHEVROLET AND FILE A COMPLAINT. As per the Chevrolet Customer Service Desk, they must receive a set number of complaints for the same problem before they will issue a recall."

The number I called was (800) 222-1020 and filed a complaint.

Chevy is aware of this problem, and I even talked to my friend who works at GMC dealership and he said they get 5-10 GMC/Chevy's from 2003-2004 in to replace the speedometer. Everyone just needs to call and file complaints.
  • kathfromsckathfromsc Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue. I found a post on another website that suggested that the problem may be the cruise control sensor. It suggested that you disconnect the battery for five minutes. Out of desperation I followed the instructions and it worked. Just don't use the cruise.
  • kiya2jordynkiya2jordyn Member Posts: 2
    I just brought miy 2005 trailblazer with 59000 miles into the dealer for the speedometer today as well. A week or so ago and out of the blue, the speedometer just fell straight down above the odometer reading. It still moves when the truck does, just upside down. It has been super cold here so maybe that has something to do with it.

The service guy told me he sees it often and the whole panel usually needs to be replaced. That costs about $600. I already called GM customer service and told them about the problem. Of course, they said they see it more in Silverados and Tahoes but if enough people complain about it, they may do something about it.

Please complain if you have this problem so perhaps we can get some help on this very expensive problem. One more thing...has anyone had problems with the Oxygen Sensor going out? I have spoken to more than one person that said around 50000 miles this went out for them. Seems a bit too coincidental that I know more than one person with a Chevy that had this problem.
  • haleyjohaleyjo Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Trailblazer just rolled-over the 75,000 miles mark at which the extended warranty ended. Shortly thereafter my Oxygen Sensor went out. $200 to replace. 1 week later my tachometer started to malfunction along with the speedometer. It did start to work correctly for a few days but now it is malfunctioning again. The mechanic says it needs the cluster replaced. I don't know what that will cost but it sounds expensive. I will call Chevy and complain today so they have it on record. It now has 78,000 miles. Inspection is due in July and it won't pass if the tach and speedometer don't work so I will be forced to repair it. Any suggestions?
    Call the 800 number I have posted in a previous blog. GM is covering the part and I have to pay the labor. The cost is $150 (much cheaper than the $600 I was quoted prior to talking to GM customer care). I am saving the receipt and will hope that they eventually include the T-blazer in the recall (or I can go to small claims court since by covering the part, they seem to admit there is a problem). My car will be ready to today. Make sure that you call GM and get a claim number. Take it to your closest dealership and give them the claim information. It will take at least ONE FULL DAY for them to fix the problem, so make sure you have other arrangements for transportation. It is taking TWO days to fix mine. They have to replace the entire cluster just for one part of the instrument panel, and they have to log all the hours, odometer reading, etc, etc (per law) so it does take a while. By replacing the entire instrument panel, it should fix everything. BUT CALL THE NUMBER, IT SAVED ME $$$$$$$....
  • jrmacdaddyjrmacdaddy Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here. I called GM and explained the problem and that it would cost me $550 or so. I also mentioned I've seen a lot of people complaining and they should be sending out a recall. I told them GM should make this right for all owners. The agreed to pay for the part and I had to pick up the labor. It cost me $115. I dropped my car off at 4:45 and it was done by 7:15.

CALL THE NUMBER!!!!
  • dwstranddwstrand Member Posts: 2
    I just moved from Texas to Tennessee a few months ago and my speedometer started acting crazy when it got cold. Saw this forum so I called the 800 222-1020 number yesterday, but didn't have my VIN # handy so they just called back. They politely told me there was no recall on the Trailblazer and when I told them I just wanted to report the problem so maybe if enough people do so they will recall. The guy just laughed and asked if I had any other questions. And they wonder why they just reported the worst quarter in their history. NO CUSTOMER LOYALTY. I want to buy American as much as the next guy. Maybe I'll jump on the Ford bandwagon. At least they show some loyalty. Shame on GM.
  • haleyjohaleyjo Member Posts: 2
    I got it fixed for FREE!!!! I called the number and spoke to GM rep Victoria. She was very nice. I did just what all you said. I told them there was alot on the internet about this problem and they should have a recall. GM needed to make this right. I have been a loyal Chevy customer (or rather my husband has) for years. I told her Strickland Chevrolet in Pearland, TX was the dealer we patronized. She put me on hold, called them, came back on the line and said they would pay for half the cost (total was $450). I agreed. I took the car in. They did a sweep test and determined it was the instrument cluster. They had to order the part, 4 - 5 days. I took it in yesterday and 30 minutes later it was fixed. I went to the cashier and she said "no charge", "Goodwill Warranty". I was blown away! Thanks everyone for your help in this matter.
  • jdodge0001jdodge0001 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer, which I love. I love the way it looks, the way it drives, and the overall features it has. HOWEVER, it is a piece of crap. Last Friday, the speedometer malfunctioned like everyone elses, and then today I rolled my window down at the ATM and it wouldn't roll back up. Of course it was raining. If that isn't enough, of course my warranty just expired. The dealership says it is a well known issue, but GM isn't doing anything about it, and it would be a little over 1000 to get fixed. If GM knows this is a problem they need to step up to the plate. I want to buy American made, but if we can't stand behind the products we make then I am crossing over.
  • rb76weturb76wetu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info and the number. Called got my case number and took it in. Cluster is bad just as described by many others on this website. Contacted my call back person at GM and they indicated there was nothing they could do, no warranty, not in their special case consideration. Only option is to file a compliant with NTSB and pay out of my pocket. 2003 Trailblazer just turned over 50k in mileage. Can't wait to sell and get out of GM products. Go Toyota.
  • rb76weturb76wetu Member Posts: 2
    No such luck on my end. Looks like a cool $400 to fix it and GM says so sorry but not on our radar. No goodwill warranty here.
  • vader00vader00 Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I have been fixing these gm cluster problems for a while now. There are problems with many gm vehicles - all trucks, trailblazers, impalas, montana vans, sunfire, cavaliers, etc.

If you send me your cluster I can fix your gauge issues for $100 for one faulty guage and then an additional $15 for every faulty guage after that.

thanks...

email: ws6_99@hotmail.com
  • mslongmslong Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 TB and last Friday my speedometer went crazy. This happened once in December, but after a day it corrected itself. IT has not this time. I have been to my dealer and have called the GM Chevy number. I understand that there is a "Special Policy" that covers all GM SUVs except the TB. I thought the dealer said it was from GM, but the GM Customer Service Rep said she had not heard of it. Same routine as all other folks. Mine goes to the shop on Monday. My dealership said retail costs was $450 and that the Dealership would pick up more than half my part will be $202.39. The CSR volunteered the address of the complaint Dept for me. She also said she was closing the case but putting Customer Dissatisfied. The mechanic I use once the vehicles are out of warranty suggest that after it is fixed write a letter to the complaint dept. I will be doing this.

To me now it is a matter of 'doing the right thing'. There is an issue, GM knows about it - so why not fix it!!! It would go a long way for Customer Service. They do not have to do a RECALL per se they could send letters out to people whom have bought TBs like they have with the Tahoes and Avalanches.

I too have been on the internet researching. I saw where an article said there are pending Class action suits in WA OR and CA.

What is the advantage of logging a complaint with the NHTSB? There are several out there for this issue. Do they go to GM and try to initiate a RECALL?

:mad:
  • mooker3mooker3 Member Posts: 2
    I also had speedometer issues, it first started out with it showing slower than what I was going, now it doesn't work at all. I called the 800 # prev. posted and spent a 1/2 hour on the phone explaining everything. I had prev. gone to dealer and was given a quote of $354. They then put me on hold and called dealer, came back and said they had to put me on hold while they took the problem to someone to get solved. The whole 1/2 hour or so I was on phone it was very positive, assurring, they were going to help etc. etc. etc. Then he comes back on phone and says, "sorry there is nothing we can do for you, we don't recognize those web sites etc. etc.". I only mentioned that I saw on the website that there were a bunch of people having the same problem. I then told him that I wanted to speak to a supervisor. In the process of them transferring me, we got disconnected. I called back and they told me, someone would call me back within 24 hours. We'll see how they do.

Extremely disappointed.
  • mooker3mooker3 Member Posts: 2
    I never received a call back. I had to call back again, go through everything again only to be told that they don't recognize automotive forums as valid areas of comlaint. I asked to speak to the manager of the managers :) and they told me that if I wanted to take the complaint further, then I needed to write a letter.
  • rpleb35rpleb35 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with my 04 TB. I called and got nowhere with GM. So I had the problem fixed and I was out 451 dollars. I then ran into a lawyer friend of mine and this topic came up and he told me to write a letter to GM. That letters are taken more seriously than calling. Well, I did just that and mailed it. In three days, I received a call back from GM. I provided more information to them and was told I would get a call back in 24 hours. To my surprise...I got that call back and that gentleman wanted more information that I had to mail to him. I mailed out a copy of my title and registration, proof of paying for the repair and the original repair receipt. I got all that mailed out the following day and three days later I received a call from the same person telling me that I will be getting 50% of my total cost back. The check went out yesterday.
    WRITE THE LETTER!!! 225 dollars is now bonus money to me since the 451 is long gone.
  • poppopcassidypoppopcassidy Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, didnt get fixed yet,
    Do you mind telling me where you sent the letter
    Detroit?.
    thanks
    PopPop
  • rpleb35rpleb35 Member Posts: 5
    I dont remember the exact address. I just used the main Detroit address that I found on the internet. I then wrote on the bottom of the envelope..."Attn Warrenty"
    Good luck!!!
  • getgtpdgetgtpd Member Posts: 3
    I called GM from the number listed on this post and spoke to a girl at GM. She was awesome. They said they couldn't help me with the total repair, but she said talk to the dealer I bought it from. I did this and they took care of the entire repair NO Charge!!!! They said that they could get GM to pay them back for some or all of the repair. The representative from GM said she would call me back for a follow up and make sure the care got repaired. She followed up at the exact time she said, actually she called me 5 times over 2 weeks to check on the repair and how it was doing!!!! I have been looking at a new cross over to purchase and I was going to buy either a NIssan or Hyundai. After this great service I went and bought a new SAturn Outlook on friday. I love the outlook already!!
    Call the number!!!
  • longbonelongbone Member Posts: 1
    My wife has an 02 TrailBlazer. The gauge cluster went bad about a year ago. The tach stopped working and it made a weird scratching noise kinda like plastic gears slipping. It WAS still in warrenty so the dealership replaced it.
    Now it's gone out again right after the warrenty. Same with the OD but the tach started getting stuck then would start from it's stuck position until until it's now stuck pointing straight down.
    Just to make life more fun, now the A/C controller won't work at setting 5. 1-4 work fine but 5 is the same as off. Another dead piece of plastic.
    Makes me glad I drive a Honda.
  • drgudgurldrgudgurl Member Posts: 1
    My speedometer started going crazy about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was just my car, but today my brain kept telling me to check the web and I did!! I was so excited to know that it was not just my problem, however, I was highly disappointed with the response I recieved from Chevrolet. I contacted them today and basically all I got was "This is not currently being recalled, sorry". This is highly unacceptable and should be addressed because obviously this is a problem with Trailblazers all over. Mine is a 2004. I'm soooooooo angry right now. I say let anyone and everyone know to call in and complain. Where is the customer satisfaction???
  • mynxtcarisfordmynxtcarisford Member Posts: 1
    I am (was) the proud owner of a 2004 Trailblazer LT. Speedometer went out on my way to Tiajuana and now chevy is making me pay 100 pesos to just get a "diagnosis".

After reading some of these other comments, i think it has somthing to do with using cruise control b/c thats when my speedomter flipped out on me too.

If you are experiencing this problem too, file a complaint, ya never know, maybe that smelly bamboozler, Mrs. GM, will do something to take care of her customers.

Signed,
    I feel like Chuck Norris b/c my car says im going 120mph ALL THE TIME.
  • rk9404rk9404 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Trailblazer LT with all of the problems that you have listed. My speedometer went right around 41,000 miles, then the oil gauge at 46,000, finally the gas gauge at 66000. My Chevy dealer told me this past May that they are replacing them free of charge up to 65,000 miles. Mine went at 41,000, but the recall didn't come out until it was too late! I drive my gas off the miles that I go and try to guess my speed. I have tried calling to no avail and the dealers are pretty much saying sorry about your luck. It is infuriating. Then around 50,000 the Service Engine light came on, which was the infamous O2 sensor. My parents have a 05 Silverado and got the Class Action Lawsuit letter which covers just about every Chevy product EXCEPT the Trailblazer. I can't even trade the thing in because it is worth pennies. I cannot wait to finish paying it off and go buy a new Nissan. I will never buy another GM product. :mad: :mad: :lemon:
  • gangemigangemi Member Posts: 1
    I have Trailblazer 4.2 LTZ (2002) where is the elettric wire of the speedometer? please help my.
  • work4docswork4docs Member Posts: 1
    No longer a proud owner of a 2004 TB and a 2005 Saturn ION (wife)

I had this problem (speedometer crazy and then fuel gauge etc...) on my 04 TrailBlazer back in Jan-Feb 2008. Finally I decided to google the problem and I came to this forum. I called the 800 number and spoke with Derek who was very nice and professional. He had me take my SUV to the dealership who confirmed that the Instrument Panel was bad and would need to be replaced. Derek escalated my call to Brittney who called me today to tell me that GM would not assist me with the repair as my vehicle was a Trailblazer and NOT a Tahoe which was covered. Geee Whiz that's nice... since I bought the 30,000.00 vehicle and not the 40,000.00 vehicle I get screwed!!!

I have to get my car later but I will NOT purchase another GM vehicle.
  • patpockpatpock Member Posts: 1
    Just had my wife's TB speedometer repaired by Specmo Enterprises
    1200 E. Avis Dr. Madison Heights, MI 48071 Main:(Local) 248.307.2570
    Main:(Toll Free) 800.545.7910 I live just a few miles away, the dealer told me about them, so I contacted them and they had it fixed in just a few hours, for under $250.00 call them and see what they can do for you.
  • hvd10215hvd10215 Member Posts: 1
    My TB 2004 speedometer just stopped moving this afternoon. It's only has 51,000 miles. I found this forum and now know it is a common problem with GM vehicles! It's so sad that our own American car companies cannot produce a better product than Japanese counterparts. Just watch three CEOs testified in front of congress make me sick of them. Why bail them out while we have to pay for bad products they produced.
  • dwstranddwstrand Member Posts: 2
    EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION!!!!! You need to write a letter to the GM complaints department. I just did this and they are reimbursing me $300 out of the $600 it cost to repair the instrument cluster on my 2005 Trailblazer. Write the letter!
  • lou1056lou1056 Member Posts: 1
    customer loyalty to one dealer does pay off. I called my dealer I buy all my cars from. I was horrified what I had read here. My car was out of warranty for time not mileage. He said he would call me back. 10 minutes latter I got a call and he told me he would take care of the whole thing and not to worry. That may be why I am loyal to one dealer. It pays. I trust my dealer on price and value and advice. He is the professional in the car business not me. Oh it is a very small town in the middle of no where. My part will be in next week. 30 minutes to change the cluster. :P
  • Luckie6Luckie6 Member Posts: 1
    I did the research on my 04 and there is 4 grounding points on driver side of block have bad connections. This underneath all of the intake stuff on my Vortec motor, which means - I bought the wife a nice GPS to read Speedo {low on priority list}

Steven Luckie
    04 TrailBlaxer
    05 John Deere {BMW K1200LT}
  • eltonbeltonb Member Posts: 2
    I called GM at 800 222-1020 and complained about my speedometer. I have a 2003 Avalanche with 111,000 miles. He said it had too many miles. I said "yeah, but I read online that GM is fixing many of them that are out of the service agreement anyway and I started experiencing the problem before 70,000 miles but just found out that GM was repairing them" he said OK. He asked what dealer I used, he put me on hold and called the dealer and scheduled an appointment for me. He said they will run diagnostics on the truck to make sure the speedo wasn't broken from misuse and if its determined that the speedo failed on its own they will pay for a new cluster AND the diagnostic and labor fee.

My appointment for the repair is Monday, January 5, 2009. If I am successful in getting this cluster repaired for free, I will post my GM claim number, so that others can use my claim number in defense of having theirs replaced for free as well.

When you call, have your VIN number, and the name and number of a dealer that you prefer.
  • xx2slik4uxxxx2slik4uxx Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone--
    I like many of you have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. My speedomoter also has started acting up. Sometimes 70 acts as 0 and sometimes it is even 120. I brought it to the dealership and it was diagnosed as the speedomoter cluster. They told me that this is a very frequent problem!! :lemon: They also advised me to contact GM and to contact my local Better Business Bureau. I did this and of course GM told me i was out of my warranty and they would not pay to fix this problem. What does it have to do with my warranty because they put in a defective part!! They have recalled this exact problem on vehicles simular to the Trailblazer though (which i am assuming is the same parts used). I am still working with the Better Business Bureau though to try to get this recalled. I would like to suggest everyone else that is having this problem to please go online and write their Better Business Bureau. They more complaints they get the more likely they are to do something. So please please please report this problem!! Thank you everyone who will take the time to do this. Also if you do get it fixed save your receipt and they will reimburess you if it does become a recall. And you can also still report it even if you have had it fixed.