Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Tires and Wheels

smitty131smitty131 Member Posts: 2
How big of tires can you fit on a 2001 2500hd duramax without cutting anything

Comments

• ste82weyste82wey Member Posts: 1
    i believe you can get 285/70/R17 or 285/65/R16 it depends on what size rim you have on your truck now.
  • dlovesbdlovesb Member Posts: 34
    Hi guys, I have a 99 silerado 4x4. 16" rims nice ones (Chrome). I was told that I can put on 285/75/16 as the biggest tires with some cutting of front bumper. The truck doesn't have a lift but does have airbags in back. I mostly use the truck for highway. I would like the widest tire size for the back and a little smaller for the front. I'm not sure which tires would look best and preform on the highway. Racing look or offroad look. The truck hardly ever sees 4x4 unless winter. What do you recomend? Racing the streets in Mass.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you are referring to the stock chrome plated 16" rims, 285s are the widest that you could install without causing abnormal tire wear due to the width of the rim. Unless you don't plan to rotate the tires I wouldn't recommend different sized tires for the front and back.
    Obyone, I probably won't rotate my tires so could you tell me what size I might be able to use for the back tires? I want them wide as possible. I will be using the 285's for the front. The rims are not stock or deep either. Also there are so many brands and styles to choose from any recomendations? The tire places around here just want to grab your money and send you off. They don't want to really help you out. If you want to see my truck go to www.lpbt.bravehost.com click on pictures. Mine is the white silverado. David.
    If you plan to install 285s on the front, I don't see how you could go wider on the rears as the 285s are at the limit. This link will help you to calculate the tire sizing and using 285 as the widest you should be able to calculate other sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

I had installed 275/70R16 on my truck and experienced feathering on the front tires as they were a bit wide for the stock rims.

Once you decide on the size you want, you can use this to check out the various brands that are available for that size here and you can also compare prices.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp

For myself, I'm partial to the Michelin LTX M/S. A bit pricey but great tires. Guess it depends on what you're looking for in a tire. The site also has recommended brands based on customer reviews.

Nice truck. Looks like you have invested a lot of time and money into it. Aren't those Apache tires made by General? You wouldn't believe the problems I've had with Generals...course that's another story.

Good luck with your search.
    Thank you for the info. I don't know anything about tire sizes except what I was told. The general tires came with the truck new when I bought it. (used) David.
  • jerrywestberryjerrywestberry Member Posts: 1
    On a 4x4 your front and rear tire diameter need to be the same or you could break the transfer case.
    I was able to put 285 75 16 on my silverado. (baha mt wide track) 127.00 each. Tires this size are ussually over 200.00 each. They look aggresive and no road noise. They are definately alot bigger than my 275's. Alot of people are complimenting the truck even more. I just installed diamond plated mud flaps to the rear and it finishes off the chrome look of the truck. :)
  • mike614mike614 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

It there is a less aggressive tire then the 265R17 all season radial tire which is standard on the GMC 2007 Sierra SLT model. The vibration from the tire is to much for my wife.
    Hi gang, I have a 99 silverado 4x4 with airbags in the back. I bought it 2 years ago used. Truck is in nice shape. The body doesn't bounce when foring it down by hand. ( the old shock test) When should I replace the shocks? When traveling down roads that are in repair it's rough. A friend that owns a TOYOTA 4x4 says he has no trouble and it is comfortable. Someone enlighten me... :confuse:
  • mike614mike614 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the link

-Mike
    Aren't those airbags adjustable?
    Yes the airbags are adjustable. They are at 30 lbs. I like the slightly raised look. I would think that you still would have to replace the shocks though wouldn't you? I was also thinking of the front ones as well. Is there a mileage or any other things that would lead me to think I need to replace them? I don't know how old they are since I bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it and now it's slightly over 100.000 miles. :)
    I replaced the stock shocks at 10k miles with Edlebrock IAS shocks. Was a little to stiff for me so switched to some HD Bilsteins which worked out fine.

The airbags are designed to support the load in the truck and would be responsible for your "firm no bounce" shock test. At 100k miles you should definitely consider changing all four shocks.
    Thank you for the update on the shocks :) David.
  • bach1bach1 Member Posts: 1
    I heard that there is a chip out there that will convert the 2005 allison 5 spd to a 6 spd. Supposedly the tranny is already designed to work as a 6 spd is not set up electronically.
  • scrapperpamscrapperpam Member Posts: 3
    I can't figure out how to begin a new subject...sorry. I want to get new tires for my husband. He want it to sit up higher without getting a lift kit. What size tires would replace his current ones so he can do this? It is a 2005 crew cab. I think he has 245/75/16..whatever was stock is what is on there.
    I want to get new tires for my husband. He want it to sit up higher without getting a lift kit. What size tires would replace his current ones so he can do this? It is a 2005 crew cab. I think he has 245/75/16..whatever was stock is what is on there.
    Where ever you plan to have these tires installed will tell you just how big you can go. I have a 1500 4x4 series truck with 285 75 16 tires. ( an upgrade in size but with the same 16 inch rim) It is the biggest I can go without scraping the tires up front when turning. They are definately much bigger. Do you want raised white letters too on the tire? Also ask about road noise level. If you buy an aggressive tire for that tough look, sometimes they might hum down the road. Make sure you go to a great tire place. (Chain or dept. store tire places don't have the info you want or the choices for a bigger looking agressive tire). :D
  • likearocklikearock Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 4x4 2500 crew cab silverado and I upgraded to the tallest tires I could go without a lift kit
    the 16 x 285 BF GOODRICH all terrane. These are a good tire and look good on the truck with very little road noise. It will come close to rubbing the front bumber skirt but that can be trimmed back a little by your paint and body shop if needed. you can also have the torsion bars raised just a little. this will level the truck out as well.
    I would not recommend raising over 1 and 1/2 inch or you will give up some of the ride quality.
    Any alignment shop can raise these for you and re-alligh the front end.
    Hope this helps you out.
  • kitschkitsch Member Posts: 3
    hey i've got a 03 sierra 1500 and my sticker on the drivers door for proper tire inflation pressures is ripped off. i was wondering if anyone had the same truck could possibly give me the pressures or a photo of the sticker that would be great!

i live in canada whether that makes a difference or not?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    kitsch,

I doubt it makes any difference that you have a Canadian model - I don't think they're substantially different from the US versions.

The answer to your question can be founbd in a book called "Tire Guides". But we need more detail:

OK we got a 2003 GMS Sierra Pickup 1500

C or K? (4X2 or 4X4?)

Looking further at the list I see that all 4X2's are 35 psi and these vehicles originally had P235/75R16's or P255/70R16's.

4X4's are also 35 psi, but the original tire size was either P245/75R16 or P265/75R16

EXCEPT!!!

There are 2 versions that originally came with LT245/75R16's inflated to 50 psi front / 80 psi rear. These versions are labeled as "C1500 4X2 Crew Cab H.D." or the same in a 4X4.

Hope this helps.
  • kitschkitsch Member Posts: 3
    i have a 4x4 with P265/75R16s and its not a H.D.

that helps out alot thanks!!
  • chevymikechevymike Member Posts: 4
    I currently have a set of AR wheels (20x8.5) with 285/55/20 Eagle LS tires on my 06 Z71. I like the look of the 20's, but I want a more aggressive looking stance beyond the fender flares. I would like to get a set of 20x10 Motto wheels, but am not sure if any modifications have to be done (I'd rather not shave or lift). Does anyone know if there will be enough turning clearance for the front? I don't want it to hit the upper arms or ball joints. Appreciate the feedback.
  • oldbikeroldbiker Member Posts: 17
    I am planning to get taller wheels to undo some of the effects of the 4.10 axle ratio. Does anyone know the proper offset/backspace for 17x8 rims to be used on 2500HD?

I am guessing that 285/70-17 is probably the biggest tire size. Any info will be most appreciated as the tire places are giving me conflicting info.
  • heavychevy1heavychevy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I just bought a new body style 2500 hd 4x4. I want to put larger tires and wheels on it now and I need to know if 32.5 x 10.5 x 17 will fit under it without a lift. Thanks
  • mwilleymwilley Member Posts: 2
    Anyone with a dual rear wheel changed to 19.5" wheels and tires? I am concerned about the dual spacing, as I will be towing with my 2002 Chevrolet Crew Cab the majority of the time.

I tried 235/85R16 tires to try to improve the ride without any real benefit. Now I would prefer a safety margin while towing at near maximum capacities both GVW and GCVW.

I know these are 8 lug 6.5" bolt center, hub piloted wheels. Is there any other vehicle out there that uses this wheel center with 19.5" tires?

"Doc"
  • redchevy1redchevy1 Member Posts: 2
    I dont think i would go any larger or your spacing might get to small...or you could go with one single large wheel in the back and that would probably help your ride and you would not have to worry about the spacing. It makes your truck look like it has slicks.
  • mwilleymwilley Member Posts: 2
  • goodsammedgoodsammed Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 K2500 Crew Cab, I have just added after market tires and wheels. I can not get the tire pressure sensor to reset. The dealership told me the tires have to be within 6 lbs of each other, front and rear, and they are (50 lbs in the front and 45 in the rear). I have followed the reset instructions in the manual and the truck does what it supposed to do, but the warning just keeps coming back.
  • goodsammedgoodsammed Member Posts: 2
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    goodsammed,

I have the optional factory Z71 wheels (18") and just rotated them recently. I followed the instructions in the owners manual (they are a bit confusing) and my pressure sensor wouldn't reset - it still thinks they haven't been rotated. I don't get any kind of warning, it just "sees" the rear wheels on the front and vice versa. I can tell because of the difference in the pressure in the front & rear tires. I'm not sure if I'm doing the reset right, or whether there's a problem. Please post if you get it resolved, & I'll do the same.

1offroader
  • ryguy5ryguy5 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I am new to these forums and a new truck owner (well Ive had it for about a month. I wanted to know how big of tires I could get into my Chevy 07 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab without a lift kit. I want some nice mean lookin tires because the stock ones just dont cut it. I would like some off roady type tires if possible even though I do not have a 4x4 (I kinda feel like a poser because of this). I am not experienced in the truck field seeing as I am only 16 years old but the internet is my tool and can help me with a lot of problems and or questions. So if anyone has any advice on my current situation please dont hesitate to reply, thank you very much!
  • ryguy5ryguy5 Member Posts: 2
  • bradkennedybradkennedy Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if switching from the stock 17" wheels to a earlier model (2004) 16" wheel would clear the disc/drums on my 2007 Silverado 1500 Classic?
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    I've learned that the only way to know whether wheels will fit is to actually try them. And also be aware of possible differences in offset, not just whether the diameter is OK and the wheels clear the brake calipers. Try before you buy.

1offroader
  • automan13automan13 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used truck of a local website www.chicagolandauto.com, not that it matters, but anyways its a 2003 GMC Sierra and has 50,000. The truck needs some new tires and have been looking around, but not sure what to get. I live in Chicago, so we do get some snow, but not a lot. I don't go off roading and don't really drive on the highways that much. Basically it is local roads. I am looking for a good tire for these conditions. I was thinking about Goodyear wrangler rt/s, but not sure. Anyone have any ideas of what a good tire would be. I did find this website that shows some ratings, but any help would be great.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ngler+RT% 2FS
    Check the survey results on these tires, then check the price. I just bought a set and the survey don't lie.

Tires
  • hecaroshecaros Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody. I have a question, I hope some one can give me an aswer. I just put a new set of wheels, 20" to my SIlverdao CrewCab 2006. Everytime I brake it shakes. The fastest I am going at braking the harder it shakes.
    We check the brakes and resurface the rotors, the pads are in very good condition and has new tires.
    Can any one help. Thank you.
  • tygranttygrant Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if I can use stock 16" wheels on my 2005 Chev Sierra CrewCab? It has custom 18"X10 wide wheels, too big. Tag on the door says it came with 265-70-17. I would like to use 265-70-16 or any that will give me about 31" in height. Will stock 16" fit over the hubs/ brakes. I get different answers from tire dealers. Does anyone know for sure?
    I want the best MPG, how tall should the tires be? 2005 1500 5.3 4.10 ratio
    Can someone tell me which code it is in the glove box the will tell me if this has posi trac?
    Thanks Ty
    Can someone tell me which code it is in the glove box the will tell me if this has posi trac?

G80

The stock rims should fit fine with the 265/70R16 tires. Unless there was an aftermarket brake kit added.
  • skippertskippert Member Posts: 1
    I lifted my 07 2500 HD Duramax 2" New Body Style and put on Pro Comp 18" Classics with Nitto Grappler LT 285/65 R 18 Tires. The Steering and stability is terrible, Tried adjusting the pressures and doesn't help. GM says these trucks aren't capable of upgrading to a larger tire and lift because it will and does affect your shift points, handling and speedo sync. There is not a program from GM to compensate for your shift and speedo (imagine that) and if you go with an aftermarket programmer you will be replacing an engine and tranny, my buddy proved that . I have spent countless hours and $ trying to get the stock handling back with this set up to no avail.
    If anyone has an answer to this I sure would like to know because it is a long day on a trip fighting the wheel :) BUT IT SURE LOOKS GOOD :}
    This is a great site. Thanks for the help. Ty Grant
    Thanks for the insight, you just save me a major hassle, that is just what I was going to get! Great site.
    Thanks Ty Grant
  • rescue354rescue354 Member Posts: 4
    Okay soo I thought i posted i guess not, sorry if this has been asked before, I cant find it.

HAs any one upgraded tires on a stock 2008 silverado 4x4 crew cab short bed, I curently have P265 70 17 on my truck which suck for towing and snow I want to upgrade with out and adjustments using stock rims.......can I go to a LT285 70 17???
    yep
  • rescue354rescue354 Member Posts: 4
    YEP as in I can go with the 285s with no lift/leveling with no rubbing
    there are some that said you may need to trim a small part of the wheel well. Then others say that they have had no problems. I'm wondering if that's due to the tight specifications that GM builds these trucks to. ;)