Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suzuki SX4 MPG Real World Numbers

13»

Comments

• Options
    pdxjumpdxjum Member Posts: 1
    I have just over 50,000 miles on my 2007 SX4 with manual transmission. I have tracked every drop of gas since new and have an overall average of 28.9 MPG to date. If I drive carefully and keep the speed around 60 I have averaged as high as 34 MPG on the freeway and I have gotten as low as 24 MPG on a tank that was all city driving. I always use the cruise control on the open road. My mileage did increase slightly after the first few thousand miles which could be accounted for to allow for a break in period. I would estimate that I am in 2 wheel drive mode about 80 percent of the time. I find that a range of about 280- miles is adaquate, I would be stopping every 3 hours anyway. I have never understood the concept of hauling around the extra weight of a larger fuel tank to be able to drive 500 miles without stopping. People count every pound in a vehicle then want to haul around almost 7 pound per gallon of gas.
  • Options
    On the other hand, I wish my 2008 had a bigger tank. With my VW Golf, I can go to the city where I work and return home a couple days later, and only use about a half a tank. In cold weather, the SX4 mileage falls, and I then have to fill up each way of a two hour and 20 minute trip. Two more gallons would do nicely. BTW, my overall average is also 28.9!
  • Options
    victourvictour Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have the SX4 AWD from 2007 Automatic . I bought it for the AWD sorry didn't think or worry about gas mileage.. Ok my Tank holds 10.1 gal.. I drove it 213 miles and had to pee so I stopped and filled up took $13.00 of Regular. my mileage worked out on the highway to 28 mpg. 68 mph and cruise control on.. passed a car on two lane road from 40 to 80 only took 6 sec. flat out. I read so much that makes me wonder why did these people buy one.. just to complain.. ?? The engine noise at 2800 Rpm is not bad as you are traveling 80mph.. the guy whining he didn't like the key fob because it would not unlock the Hatch needs to read the manual at least one time. (push button twice) I love the 16"wheels had a nice ride at 30 Psi. but i inflated them to the requested 32 psi. still a lot smoother than the 2004 Rodeo...The AC is Cold, I am tempted to take corners fast.. I do ride a Suxuki Busa.. as my first choice..but I notice I will jump in the car first a lot of the time... SWEET ! :)
  • Options
    sunlightcoppersunlightcopper Member Posts: 6
    I just bought the 2001 SX4 Crossover AWD and my first tank averaged a dismal 18.7 mpg, driven 75% city, 25% hwy at an average speed of -about- 50 mph.

I was told fuel efficiency will improve after the car is run-in but I should not expect to see the 23/29 advertised on the window sticker. Any feedback on this, please? How mpg is supposed to improve with the car aging? Is it possible that there is something wrong with my brand-new SX4 and it is so fuel hungry?

Regarding the i-AWD, here's my understanding of it:

The selection switch, found to the right of the hand-brake, has 3 positions.

In the AUTO position (middle) all four wheels are engaged to the middle differential but at a 95% Front - 5% Rear, ratio. Essentially, FWD. However, if slippage is detected in the front wheels, the ratio is changed diverting more power to the rear wheels, up to a 40 F / 60 R). This is the preferrred selection for driving under light snowfall, moderate to heavy rain, on sand, gravel etc.

In the FWD position ( selector pushed front) the rear wheels are not and will never engage to the middle differential, making the SX4 a standard front wheel drive car. This is the preferrred selection for driving under normal conditions and Suzuki also says that best mpg can be achieved at this setting. (no wonder)

In the LOCK position (selector pushed back) both front and rear axles are permanently locked (i.e. not dynamically changing) into a 50/50 ratio, unless car speed exceeds -approx.- 36 mph, at which point the i-AWD system falls back to the AUTO position. This is the preferrred selection for driving in under extreme conditions and what one should use to get the car un-stuck from heavy snow, mud, sand and to drive in extremely slippery conditions.

Please comment with your feeedback, I believe the above description is quite accurate since it has been transferred from this year's SX4 brochure.
  • Options
    Why is your tank only 10.1 gallons? The 2008 I have has an 11.9 gallon tank (still too small when the average mileage is 28, but still do-able). Thanks for pointing out the hatch lock/key fob thing.
  • Options
    Your mileage improves because as parts get broken in and seated, they get smoother and more efficient. You should easily get the window sticker mileage, since those mileage figures since 2008 are very conservative. A lot of people don't get EPA mileage because they normally drive at 75+ on the freeway, and then somehow expect highway mileage to be the same as it would be at 55 or 65. I have gotten an overall mpg of 28.7 (nearly 30,000 miles) on my 2008.
  • Options
    victour80victour80 Member Posts: 1
    I know the mileage seems low.. which is true for the size Car.. You got to remember this is 4x4 and I check my mileage at 75 on the interstate on 2 fill ups and it went along with the Compute for a Average 27 mpg.. with the Air off.. windows up and 35,000 miles on the Clock.. Very Happy this is a 140 Hp 4 cylinder so I don't expect the same as the 120 Hp of other brands.. I like the extra power if Needed and yes it is a Auto as well.. Using cruise control helps as well..
This discussion has been closed.