Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Brake Questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    impreza2008impreza2008 Member Posts: 30
    I had my break switch replaced for the third time...again with the same type of switch. I was told that Subaru is working on the problem and that it is on the verge of releasing the new design. I was also told that the next time this happens, the dealer will ignore what Subaru is dictating and try to come up with an indepdent view of the problem and solution.

The oil change today was on Dan Perkins Subaru as a token of their appreciation for may patience. I still enjoy driving the car and I am impressed with the service I get from the dealer.

mom3peggy, don't through in the towel.. the problem does not affect safety..unless you are in snow. I am hopeful by winter this will be behind us.

Sol Briks
  • Options
    problemimprezaproblemimpreza Member Posts: 4
    I really appreciate being able to read about your experience with your Impreza. Although my brake switch was replaced at the end of February and so far I haven't encountered further problems, I'm certainly taking it on a day-by-day basis. It is a great car when it's working. Thank you for taking the time and effort to keep everyone up to date.

If the 2008 Impreza didn't have the safety features of abs and vdc, I would not have purchased it -- in fact, I didn't purchase the 2007 Impreza for my son for that reason alone. Instead, I purchased a 2007 Honda CRV, complete with all of the safety features. For sure, the safety features are great in the winter on icy roads, however, they're every bit as important on wet roads. Also, abs allows one to steer while braking, which is great in all weather conditions. I would be just as upset to lose my safety features in the summer as I was in the winter when I was driving with the systems disengaged. I wouldn't want anyone at Subaru to think that because winter is behind us, there's no urgency in fixing the safety systems. I really hope they come up with a fix very soon!

wt
  • Options
    I went back a few months ago.. and asked that they really try to figure out what the problem is.. they found a loose connector in a wire harness.. they snapped on the retainers and it fixed the problem... has not recurred so far and I feel they finally got it.

Now that the market for autos is in the tank.. time to start shopping for another Subaru.

Sol Briks
  • Options
    briandorvalbriandorval Member Posts: 3
    I think I have the same problem...
    I own a Subaru Impreza 2.5i 2009
    When I'm driving sometimes the ABS, VDC, and Hill Start Assist Light comes on and everything is disabled...
    The car have only 1week !!! :(
    What is best to say to my dealer ???
    I'm not sure what to do really and I don't like this problem at all :P
  • Options
    In fact the lights turn on and I have to restart the car. After the restart It work fine...
    I get this problem everyday and It happen randomly...
  • Options
    What fixed it finally, after many trials... is a closing loose harness connector retaining clips. Your mechanic can call Dan Perkins Subaru and speak to the Service Manager. They struggled with the problem for almost a year and finally got it.

Sol Briks
  • Options
    BostonDriver67BostonDriver67 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all... had the same experience here, also. Impreza 2.5i premium sedan/auto, took delivery on Jan 30th, 8 days later the car wouldn't let me shift it out of Park and the ADC/VDC warning lights came on.

Luckily I had read the manual and knew how to use a screwdriver to get past the shift lock feature so I could drive the car until I could get it looked at. Dealer replaced the brake light switch and the problem's gone away, at least for now. I did ask them "hey is that a part that breaks often on these cars?" and they said no.

Sounds to me like they are still using the same design of switch, though, if folks with 2009s are seeing the problem too. Does anyone know how to get the build date for a Subaru? Maybe they switched designs mid-year?

Otherwise, happy with the car and with the swift dealer response, but I'm hoping that this will be the last repair I'll need for awhile.
  • Options
    It was the brake switch too.

The brake switch logged 2 conflictual error code.
    They sent a report with the problem to Subaru and after a week they ask me to come back with my car to fix it.
    But they didn't replace the switch, they reprogrammed the switch and that's it.

Now it works fine and I get crazy in every snowy road :shades: :P
  • Options
    I would like to report that since a connector on the harness was properly secured, my problem with ABS etc... has not returned. Please ask your service manager to contact the service manager at Dan Perkins Subaru in Milford, CT and confirm the fix that finally worked for me. Use my name.

Sol Briks
  • Options
    subirex09subirex09 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone,
    Just wanted to comment on this issue. I have a 2009 WRX and I started experiencing this problem a couple of weeks ago very frequently. It is frustrating because the car doesn't feel quite right when these systems disengage. I still feel safe as long as the roads are dry and there is no snow in the forecast but if it happens during a snow storm I might be a little nervous. When I stop and turn the car off, then restart, the codes go away for a little while. Luckily I have a manual so my tranny doesn't lock me out but it's still a pain to worry about these lights all the time.

The dealer has replaced the brake light switch once but the problem came back the next day. Like many of you mentioned, they may have used the same switch design which clearly is not very good. I did find the NHTSA summary which I will bring to my dealer's attention. I also noticed that a few people commented on a connector in the harness. I will discuss that with the dealer as well.

I love my car very much, have had it for about a year, just hope they can get this resolved. I have had no other problems with it but it stinks to know they are still putting the same faulty switch into even newer cars.

My build date is October, 2008. I picked up the car last December.
  • Options
    subirex09subirex09 Member Posts: 2
    Quick Followup, just called the dealership and spoke with the mechanic again.

He says that they had to check power to multiple if not all wires in the harness during the diagnosis of the problem the first time and thinks they would have noticed if there was a loose connector that needed securing on the harness but he sounds willing to look again...we will see next Monday or Tuesday I suppose.

I mentioned Dan Perkins Subaru has dealt with the problem so I am hoping that he will give them a call when my car is back in there.

I will be back to follow up next week.
  • Options
    09impreza09impreza Member Posts: 2
    Sol,

I reached out to you and asked for assistance with this. The service manager at dan perkins did nothing more than try to sell me another car. I am nicely asking you if you know where the problem in the harness is. If not Sol, can anyone please tell me where the problem is in the harness. My 09 is catatonic and I just can't afford another vehicle.

Thank you,

Geatano
  • Options
    I am sorry he did not help.. normally the car is brought to them and they diagnose it.

I did buy a new 2012 Impreza before it was in the dealers last year and so far its a perfect car. Have not found any issues with it. I gave up trying to deal with my 2008 Impreza imperfections.
  • Options
    09impreza09impreza Member Posts: 2
    SO FAR MY 09 IMPREZA HAS BEEN REPAIRED! Yes, my subaru dealer may have actually gotten it right. All 3 lights came on allllll the time. FINALLY! I believe that the last visit ended it. As for danny boy perkins subarau in the People's Republic of connecticut, you can all go to hell. If anyone else is still having this problem and finds this message, unlike that lil' beothc sol briks, I WILL TRY TO HELP YOU SO THAT YOU TOO CAN FINALLY HAVE YOUR 3 LIGHTS STOP COMING ON. As for all those who did not offer any assistance to me without having good reason for having done so, go to hell.
  • Options
    Calm down..

I got rid of the 2008 Impreza.. love my 2012 Impreza. Not one issue so far after a year and half. The 2008 was plagued with poorly executed sensors and controls. Trade in your headache and get a 2012. It does not matter who you buy it from. Get the best deal.