Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Audio & Entertainment System Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited July 2014 in Subaru
Discuss Impreza audio and entertainment system issues here.

Comments

• love4mywrxlove4mywrx Member Posts: 1
    does anyone now what a good sound system for a '06 subaru impreza is. i just got a it but it doesn't have a very good sound system in it so i was going to by a new one but i dont now much about sound systems for cars. :confuse:
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    The biggest improvement will be speakers. You can use a shallow 6.5" in the front doors and, unfortunately, only a 4" in the rear doors (without modification).

What kind of sound are you looking for and how much do you want to spend? The front speakers should be replaced with the best you can budget --but even $50 speakers would be a huge improvement. I wouldn't bother replacing the rear as even a brand-name 4" will still suck for full-range performance. They can fill in the midrange and treble nicely if you have a subwoofer, though.

~Colin
    (waaaaay too much money sunk in carfi)
  • redbird_1967redbird_1967 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 05' stock 6cd system to replace my stolen stereo in my 04 STi. Does anyone know if the wireing is different between 04 and 05 for stock stereos?
  • wags1992wags1992 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I am new to here, but I am thinking about getting the factory Subwoofer for my 05 Impreza, i dont know if anyone on here has the factory set up, but i was wondering what they thought of the woofer. Is it worth the money? I dont want a woofer that is going to blow my ear drums out but i dont want one that is barely thier either.. Let me know what you think of it. Thanks Kevin
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    The woofer will be just fine for you.
    A good filler but you have to adjust [tune] it, volume and hi-cut, to you liking.

-Dave
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    is not with the audio system, per say—but with all the road noise that my WRX has. I have to continually adjust the volume of the radio depending on the speed I'm traveling or depending on what kind of road surface I'm traveling on.

If the car were a lot quieter, I could enjoy the audio system a whole lot more.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    This would also increase the weight of your car as well.... and decrease the handling... It's all a tradeoff.

-mike
    I'd like to see the "Limited" trim level of the WRX & STI with the extra soundproofing. people who would buy those models (me!) would be willing to give up a few pounds for some additional comfort. Limited buyers aren't likely going to "track" their cars, so a few extra pounds won't mean much to those owners.

Keep the the WRX TR, WRX and STI about the same; just add this comfort feature to the Limited trim lines.

Bob
    I highly doubt they would notice. We are only now stripping out the sound deadening material from the 94 Legacy since we are installing the cage for road racing. And we have 100s and 100s of track days under our belts.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Psst, it's called Saab 9-2x Aero. ;)

:D

-juice
    Funny you mention that. I'd like to drive one (again) to see if it really is any quieter than my WRX, and if so, by how much?

Bob
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    Hi! Last week, my stock six-disc CD changer stopped working. A CD can be loaded and ejected, but the player just clicks and whirrs like it's trying to find a CD. Repeated attempts with both home-burned and store-bought CDs have the same result. I'm still under warranty, and am bringing it to the dealer, but I was wondering if any other WRX owners were experiencing this.
    We have 2 of those, and I installed them in our Legacy and in our Forester.

What I'd suggest is ejecting all of the CDs and starting over again. See if a single one inserted will play.

After that, I might disconnect the battery to cycle power to the head unit.

Just some ideas. Good luck.
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    I'll attempt to cycle power - thanks!
    huh?

I think you are mistaking me for someone else.

-mike
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Sean1,

There must be a misunderstand. I do not see a post by paisan with that referrence in this thread nor have I ever seen him post anything of that nature before. Please feel free to email me directly at caliberchic@edmunds.com to discuss this if you feel I have over looked something. In the meantime I do have to delete your posts with insults and inapporpriate verbage.
  • plistplist Member Posts: 19
    Hi I can't believe I bought a subaru, but I did! Traded my H3 for 2008 used 4dr hatchback wrx, with nav. Hubby almost had us in the sti, but dealership salesman qouted us wrong payment, rats!

OK so anyway having a problem with radio stations coming in, radio was fine when we left dealership, but next day we turned on radio and it was crackling. So we turned it off. Next day radio worked, but reception and volumn was inconsistent, in and out as we drove on interstate for 4 hours, It would fade as we drove, but at a complete stop it came in. in town same thing.

Today it plays fine, but occasionally it fades just slightly. think it might be antenna?

DVD player plays movie, but when the people in movie talk they sound like their in a cave? After we ejected movie radio went back to being static and crackle interference?

CDs play and sound fine.

we have subwoofer.

have to say my h3 sound system was and sounded better then Subarus, but I'm still happy and excited about our trade!

any opinions and help would be appreciated!

Love the wrx just what we needed all around, solid little performer, fun!
  • terpfan30terpfan30 Member Posts: 7
    How is the nav system in the '08 wrx? I'm thinking of getting one but can't decide if the nav package is worth it...any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    I was not too thrilled about the similar unit in the Forester.
  • impreza2008impreza2008 Member Posts: 30
    Boy this sounds identical to my problem... the radio starts buzzing.. I figured out how to control it. Start the wipers. As soon the wiper starts the static goes away.. after a few minutes it returns. I detected this problem after a paint hardner was applied and the antenna was removed. I was plagued with other problems so I did not bring this to the attention of the dealer. When I take it in for an oil change and tire rotation I will speak with dealer who is pretty responsive...then I will write back.

Sol Briks
  • tunatamertunatamer Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks!
    I'm awaiting delivery on my new WRX and it is to come with a ten speaker system. Exactly where are these speakers located? I can see front, door, rear door and back behind the rear seats as possiblilities but where's the other two? Are there separate tweets and woofs for some speakers? I assume there's no sub? That would make more sense to me rather than a mess of smaller speakers that can't handle lower frequencies. Thanks in advance, B
  • impreza2008impreza2008 Member Posts: 30
    The problem is fixed. The mechanic who fixed the problem traced it to the dealer installed heated seats. The heated seats were connected to the wiper fuse. The radio is clear and works like new.

While I had the radio out I had the dealer install the iPod kit. $180.. the dealer claimed to have given me a good price. With all the good free service I got I since I bought the car I felt I should pay up and enjoy it. I am learning how to work the iPod through the steering wheel radio controls.

May report on the iPod kit when I figure it out.

Sol Briks
  • mach_sixmach_six Member Posts: 7
    It's funny I noticed that my radio in my 08 has the same issue. It is intermittent and last time I recall when it happened I had my wipers on as well. I will try it again with the wipers turned on and see what happens. After shutting the car off the radio will work again. I have the nav system radio in my car.

I do not have heated seats however or anything extra that would have been plugged into something else.
  • m_moustafam_moustafa Member Posts: 1
    In mY impreza 2010 how can i control my Ipod from my audio system
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    You would need to have the iPod interface kit installed in the vehicle. If it is, the controls should work as they do for a CD. If you are using the aux in port, you have to operate the iPod from the iPod itself.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Does anyone know why Subaru only shows the Bluetooth Mic as an accessory for the Premium trim level, and not the Base and Outback Sport? Does that mean it only works on the Premium trim model, or did they just forget to list it?
    Ask your dealer or call 800-SUBARU3.

I have a hunch it may be related to the stereo system in those models.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    I dug around and found the answer. The premium sound system just needs the microphone. The other Imprezas all now have a BlueConnect kit, part number H001SFG500. This is not the same as the Legacy BuleConnect kit, part H001SAJ100. They both replace the storage compartment in the dash, the Legacy one going in the middle of the dash, while the Impreza one goes in the cubby at the bottom of the dash.
    Thanks for sharing. :shades:
  • jct_ucbjct_ucb Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Still in the grief stage over my 2005 LegacyGT -- turbocharger blew and while we're still awaiting final word on whether it wrecked the engine in the process (mind you, exactly 5 years + 4 months after the car was purchased), chances are high that I need a new car. :sick: I loved that car.

Since $$ is a little tight (2 in college!) I've basically decided to go with either the Impreza 2.5i + premium package or the Outback Sport, both hatchback with 5spd manual. While it won't be nearly as fun as the GT, at least it looks like a nice driving car as I want to stick with the AWD (live in the NE).

In any case, my husband feels terrible about all this and has offered to get the sound system upgraded. In the Legacy this was almost impossible, but it seems that Subaru has made this a bit easier of late? I looked all over the web and almost all of the aftermarket HU discussions are about WRXs. Crutchfield came up with both single and double DIN models -- really confusing.

Has anyone done this and give me some input? I'd love to have integrated XM and ipod input (don't need the latter on the steering wheel -- really expensive).

Thanks for any input.

JT
    It is a nice, standard double-DIN opening.

I single DIN head unit would fit, but then you'd have to buy something to fill up the gap left behind. A black face plate or maybe some storage.

Crutchfield has great service, I'm sure they can offer a complete solution, including harnesses that plug-and-play.
  • jct_ucbjct_ucb Member Posts: 2
    Ah, thanks-- wanted to be sure since my current model year car combined the HU with the climate controls basically making it impossible to upgrade.

JT
This discussion has been closed.