Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    We just returned from a 612mi weekend in the Impreza and I'm happy to report that travel at 75+mph was relaxed and comfortable. The utility afforded by the wagon configuration allowed us to take our dog in her cage whereas we usually must leave her at home with a "sitter" (She's a very difficult traveler when loose in the car and the cage will not fit in a sedan).

I'm less pleased with fuel consumption - 28.9 mpg average for 612 mi. of exclusively highway travel. Yes , it is consistent with its EPA rating but I've never had a vehicle that did not better the EPA highway rating in similar conditions. Our bigger, heavier and considerably more powerful Acura TL has yielded 31 mpg under less ideal conditions even though it has an automatic transmission. Apparently AWD adds significant losses. I'll rationalize that the saved cost of a dog-sitter more than pays for the gas.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Don't forget you are pushing another diffy and 2 more wheels and axles than the TL. Also the gearing on the AT TL is probably significantly higher at cruising speed.

I used to pull 30-35 mpg with my significantly heavier (3600lbs) SVX with AT and H6 3.3L 250hp engine on the highway. That car also turned 4700 rpms as 145mph.

-mike
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    That car also turned 4700 rpms as 145mph.

Of course that's just speculation right? ;)

Current mileage after 8000 miles on my Impreza wagon is 29.5mpg. It climbed a tick or two from when I got it. I'm sure if I stuck closer to the 65mph limit, I'd break 30mpg, but I usually like to cruise at 75 - 80...

Total cost of a fillup at the current rate of $3.09/g is about 41 bucks and that gets me 400 miles. Not bad considering it's 4 season utilities. :shades:
    No speculation. That's 145 mph on the GPS and turning 4700 RPMs. Closed course, etc. etc.

-mike
    I figured that... I was only joking.

Pretty stable at high speeds? For such a big car (I believe that car weighed in at around 3100lbs), I'd be curious how well it compared to cars like a C4, Supra, 300Z or others like it from that era. Never heard much about the SVX when it came out other than how expensive they were for a Subie.

Sorry, drifting off topic...
    Felt like I was doing 90. I think it was actually heavier than that coming in around 3400lbs IIRC. I tracked my car exensively for about a year and it was great on track, ran all over stock BMWs at BMW events, and overall was a blast to run at the track. If I had lightened it up and put in some coilovers and a 5MT it would have been truely amazing.

I may do a project track car with a 5MT or 6MT in an SVX one day.

-mike
    Does anyone have an exhaust pop/burble just above idle if you rev it up? I've been finding that after a long drive on the freeway that when I pull in to my driveway and give it a pump on the gas I get a popping, pressure release it settles back to idle. I know its difficult to describe in words but it's almost like a light backfire?

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Oh and she's currently pulling a consistant 31mpg (80%HW) which I am ecstatic about.
    That is normal. Subarus are tuned rich from the factory so if you've been cruising on the highway you'll get the little pop.

-mike
    That makes sense, thank you very much. :thumbup:
  • al50519al50519 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased new 2008 Impreza 2.5i premium and after roughly 2 months and 1000 miles, warning lights coming on during normal driving and staying on. This is sporadic. It's been to the dealer 3 times now. They are perplexed and are working with Suburu to identify a fix. Anyone else? If not, posting this in case more show up.
  • choosy2choosy2 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove an Impreza yesterday and decided to get it. Owners of Imprezas, do you have any reservations about getting onto the highway? Is the pick up not that great? I've read this before, but wanted to hear it from the real owners. If you had it to do over, would you have bought? I'm supposed to pick up my car today. Let me know ASAP! Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My Miata has 116hp and I have no problems merging on to highways. I'm sure 170hp is plenty.
  • nathansnathans Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2003 impreza ts, and it accelerates onto the freeway just fine. The low end pick up is quite good in imprezas, it's higher speed passing pick up that is a bit weaker. It feels great on the freeway. Go drive a Civic on the freeway in a rainstorm, and then drive an impreza right after, and see which you would rather drive.
    Something similar happened to my sister...

She was choosing between a Forester and a Camry. She test drove the Camry in pouring rain, and ended up buying the Forester.

Interesting. My dad had a Camry for a while but I had a Forester at the time. I really thought she was going to buy the Toyota, too.
  • izzy8izzy8 Member Posts: 1
    I bought new Impreza Nov 26th, we had snow shortly after that. In Pennsylvania they use gravel as well as calcium on the roads. Within 2 weeks the paint from the small flairing by bottom of the rear doors was gone. Now the stone shield is peeling off, Subaru has looked at it, and tells me that they have had only 2 cases of this.
    The undercoating is also nicked, has anyone out there had the same problem?
    Gravel?! Seriously? :sick:

Man, I knew they used tons of salt, but gravel too?

I visited Taos a while back and they just used sand, basically. It worked, too.
  • ducst2ducst2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. First post here. I'm looking at purchasing the '08 Impreza Outback Sport with a 5-speed. Do you mind if I ask what the rate for installing the short shift is? I have a '96 Protege with a fairly long shift, so anything will likely be an improvement, but the snickier the better, so I'm looking at the short-shift kit.

Thanks!
    David
    Hi. I'm about to purchase an '08 Outback Sport. I've read a couple of reviews that talked about the noise from the crossbars, and when I went to the dealer today, the bars were in a box in the back of the car. The salesperson noted that Subaru suggested they leave them off "because they can get a little noisy...."

Can anyone who uses the crossbars comment on them? Do they whistle? Throb? Hum? Oscillate? Is it truly noticeable/annoying (subjective, I know)?

Thanks very much!
    David
    Hi. I'm about to purchase an '08 Impreza Outback Sport... until I see the '08 Forester sitting next to it with its shiny PZEV badge.

Can anyone tell me why the Impreza isn't a PZEV vehicle (besides the fact that it emits too much C02, that is...)? I don't think the non-PZEV rating will nix my purchase, but it might disrupt my sleep....

Thanks!
    David
  • setialpha6setialpha6 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. First post here. I'm looking at purchasing the '08 Impreza Outback Sport with a 5-speed. Do you mind if I ask what the rate for installing the short shift is? I have a '96 Protege with a fairly long shift, so anything will likely be an improvement, but the snickier the better, so I'm looking at the short-shift kit.

The stock shift throw on the 08 OBS is already drastically shorter than previous models. Drive it for a bit. I don't think you will want it any shorter. After 1000 miles or so, the linkage should be less notchy as well.
    Can anyone who uses the crossbars comment on them? Do they whistle? Throb? Hum? Oscillate? Is it truly noticeable/annoying (subjective, I know)?

They have a whistle at around 40mph. There is no noticable noise for me at other speeds.

Since they're incredibly easy to install and remove, there's not a lot of reason to leave them on unless you just like the look. They have to hit your MPG a bit.
    I bought new Impreza Nov 26th, we had snow shortly after that. In Pennsylvania they use gravel as well as calcium on the roads. Within 2 weeks the paint from the small flairing by bottom of the rear doors was gone. Now the stone shield is peeling off, Subaru has looked at it, and tells me that they have had only 2 cases of this.
    The undercoating is also nicked, has anyone out there had the same problem?

check NASIOC.com under the problems and maintenance forum. Lots of chat there.
    I have an '03 Impreza, and have never noticed noise from the crossbars. The bike rack is another story though.
    Some times people mount the cross bars backwards. The rounded side should point to the front, like the wings of an airplane.

If they are backwards they will whistle incessently.
  • rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    I'm thinking of getting an impreza and would like to know what real mpg you are getting with your car. Thank you
    My '03 has averaged about 21mpg since I got it, but in the last 18 mos or so, since I have been driving it to work and back exclusively (mostly freeway), it has been 23-25 mpg. It was much lower when it was our only car and we lived in the city.
    Hi All,
    I was researching 08 impreza's on nhtsa.gov and found about 10 people exhibiting
    their front windshield fogging and/or film developing on it. They are claiming bad visibility especially at night. Dealer's are saying just wipe it off and that it's possibly due to the A/C unit? No fix for it yet. Anyone experiencing this issue?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    I cannot report for the Impreza specifically, but on both new Outbacks I have owned, they did develop a film, especially if using the defroster significantly. Simple enough to "fix," just take some Windex and paper towels to the inside of the windshield. The residue seems oily to me - perhaps something burning off new parts.

If people are claiming bad visibility, they need to keep their glass clean. Ownership without maintenance is a losing game. :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The plastics in the interior will be outgassing for a while. The fumes bother some (welcome to Subaru New Car Stench), and the haze on the windows should be cleaned off routinely even after that smell stops.

It's normal, though. I clean my van's windshield every couple of months. For my Miata it's more like every week or so, as convertibles get very dusty.
  • janice96janice96 Member Posts: 19
    Am I reading this right, that the 5speed only gets around 21 miles to a gallon??
    If thats true it is surprising. My 2000 Suby Legacy 5 speed wagon got 33 on a trip and 29 around town.

Even when hard on throttle it never got below 25 miles to gallon. But a 80 year old driver decided I didn't need it any more and ran a red light and totaled it so thats why I'm looking at the 08 Imprezas.May be I need to look for good used Legacy with stick.
    Janice
    That Leggy had EPA number of 21/27, I believe.

Maybe you just get better numbers due to an efficient driving style.

I'd suspect you would do well with an Impreza, too.
    My numbers were with an automatic, not a 5 speed. You are getting better than EPA mpg, though, especially in town, so maybe part of it is your driving. I do drive aggressively sometimes. Those are calculated number also, not from the computer. Our Tribeca always overestimates the mileage.
    Maybe. But I never thought of myself as an efficient driver. I'm usually on the gas or the brakes. Janice
    I live in West Virginia and they put gravel here also.I haven't had it take pant off my Legacy though. I am looking to buy an Impreza right now.Speeking of that what are the differances of a 07 & 08 ?
    Did I read on here to be sure and get the Premium Package? And does the VDC come with it?? This would be with the 08 Impreza.If I am reading the book right on the 08 it does come with it. I'm looking at 08 with the Premium package..

Thanks, Janice
    Per my Consumer Guide price book is does.

Hill holder on the manuals, rear disc brakes, stability control, leather wrapped steering wheel w/radio controls, 6CD, aux input, fog lights, and alloy wheels.

The fog lights and alloy wheels alone are worth the price of the package.

It's a great value, IMHO, no way I'd pass on it.
  • jasongauthierjasongauthier Member Posts: 5
    Bought my 2008 Impreza 2.5i wagon (5 speed) in February. Have 1,200 miles on it. I was averaging 28.5 mpg for my 100 mile daily commute. I reset the computer this morning, changed my route (more highway), used cruise control set at 70mph, and parked my car 48 miles later with . . . 31.8mpg! That is with the last 5 miles driven on Pennsylvania Ave (heading into DC)!

I must say I am thoroughly pleased with this, especially after trading in my 16mpg truck!

Jason
    Went and got my 08 Impreza 2.5i wagon to day. Dealer is 81 miles from my house. Reset computer before I left dealer Coming up the mountain the weather turned into blizzard conditions roads were icy and blowing snow. Know problems, I could fill wind trying to blow me around, car stayed steady. Came through 6 inches of snow in my drive way. Little Impreza did well and driving in these conditions averaged 27.5 according to computer.Concidering condition and first 80 miles thats not bad at all. Maybe by the time spring gets here it will be broken in and ready to open up some My first impression is I love this car the way it drives and handles in and around traffic.. One question what is the traction con toll button for?? Dealer really did not have an answer.
    Janice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Congrats on the new Impreza! The traction control button is for the VDC, which is Subaru's electronic stability control. I would leave it "on" as it can help in terms of keeping you from going into a skid or in losing control of the vehicle if you enter a corner too fast. Check the owners manual for a further description.

If, by chance you do get stuck in snow, mud, etc.; or if you do some high-performance driving, or if you race the vehicle, as leaving it "on" will hurt your lap times; you would want to disengage it, which is why the button is there. Again, check the owners manual.

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3531

Bob
  • randylfrandylf Member Posts: 12
    So, I did my homework, shopped around and ended up leasing a 2008 wrx today.

MSRP was 26,566 - It was the non premium, with a rear spoiler, s1 sports trim, auto dim mirror, and shift knob.

Invoice was 24,100.

I ended up doing 22,356 sale price with a 24k mile, 2 year maintenance warranty for oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

It was a 42 month lease, w/ 1500 down, and 272/mth payments, with a residual of %59. Also,It was a 12k per mile lease.

I think I got them pretty rock bottom on price, but would like some feedback.

So far, Im totally loving the car. The powerband starts out really low, around 2800 rpm I believe, which makes for a real fun ride.

I will report back in a week or two, once I get a better idea, but Im loving it so far.
    Congrats to you, Janice, and yes that mileage is good and should improve since the engine is still very green.

Randy - nice price, indeed. Enjoy your WRX!
  • roc797froc797f Member Posts: 7
    I chose this vehicle after test driving and negotiating a sales price of the following vehicles;
    Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra, Kia Rondo, Kia Optima, and Hyundai Elantra. Needless to say, i did alot of looking.
    I actually went into a local dealership to purchase either a Mazda 3 or Hyundai. While waiting to test drive the Mazda, i saw the Impreza in the show room.
    Long story short, for the $, finance rate, saftey features, and ride - the others could not match it. I ended up paying a final sales price of $17.5K for a base with the usual stuff plus automatic transmission, tint, splash guards, mats, bumber guard. I would have loved to get the premium package vith VSC but could not afford the extra $2-3K. To be honest, if i were to add another $2K to my sales price, i would consider a different vehicle. In the end, i gave 0 down, purchased gap insurance for $500, financed for 72 months paying around $300/month. Man, i hope i can send extra $ each month to avoid paying almost $3K in finance charges!
    Congrats. 3rd new Impreza owner I've congratulated today! :shades:
    I have to decide soon between a impreza wagon and 08 legacy sedan, already test drove both. How has the reliability been for your impreza, any issues? What was the reason you chose wagon or sedan. Its a difficult choice, I like the legacy a bit more. Thank you :)
  • dinterndintern Member Posts: 24
    In terms of reliability, Impreza is built in Japan while Legacy in US. I think Impreza has an edge here maybe not much.
    The reason I decided on Impeza Wagon was because of cargo space. The 4 door sedan Impez and Legacy sedan doesn't have enough cargo area.If Subaru had contenued to make Legacy wagon I would have probiablie have decided on the legacy. I've had suby wagons sense 1987. The Outback I had felt like a pig in mud with too much body roll. The Impreza is funner to drive than the plain legacy wagon and handles better. My choice was between VW Jetta wagon and Impreza wagon.Between milage and not needing another exspenive german car I choice the impreza.. As far as reliability of impreza I would think it would be about the same as legacy. But I only have about 200 miles on my Impreza so I don't have any exsperance yet.
    Janice
    Get a Forester and add STI springs. ;)
  • impreza2008impreza2008 Member Posts: 30
    I bought my 2008 Impreza in Nov also.. experienced a few minor problems, but so far I am very happy with the overall performance.

I started to notice that the paint is very thin and comes off quickly.. I am going to speak to the dealer about it. I have a dark gray color..

Also the gas door was sticking.. a little lubricant seemed to help. Had a brake sensor trip some lights.. it was promptly handled.

I was told that I have to rotate and balance tires every second oil change.. not sure I need to do it so often.. what is your experience?

I will report back about the paint when I go in for the next oil change, three months from now.. more or less.

Sol Briks
    Tires should be rotated on Subies every 5k-7.5k miles so every other oil change makes perfect sense.

-mike
    my impreza paint chipped quite easily also, I think it must just be a low quality paint.