Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Subaru Impreza

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Subaru
This is the place to let Subaru and the rest of us know about changes you think would improve the Impreza. Maybe it's just more available options, maybe it's a major design change. Whatever it is, post your wish list here!

Comments

• merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I'll get to the rest later.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was happy with the announcement that we may see the STI lineup expand to the Forester and Legacy. A Forester STI would fill that roll nicely, IMO.

-juice
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    A full blown STI Legacy Wagon might be just the ticket for me!
  • subi4obssubi4obs Member Posts: 32
    I don't know if this has changed since the 2004 models (Outback Sport anyway, no idea about the WRX and STi).

I put my seat into the lowest position immediately after getting the car and I still can't place my forearm flatly on the door armrest. It also needs to be wider, because even when I slump in the seat to get my arm onto it, the thing is still too narrow to keep it from sliding off.

And, of course, I'd like to see a center armrest just as high but probably far enough back to prevent elbowing it during steering wheel turns. Forget the optional console armrest, unless it were better padded or cloth-covered foam cushioned.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Full-size or at least mid-size car. The Legacy is too small and cramped IMHO. Something in the A6/5series/E-class range in terms of size. H6 or H6 Turbo engine or even and H8.

-mike
    The new model should have a longer wheelbase and spy pics make it look taller and more upright as well. It's due for MY08, and that might be just the ticket for you.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I love my WRX—just not all the road noise.

Bob
  • subi4obssubi4obs Member Posts: 32
    Hmmm, not so sure of that if the pictures I found are what it will be like. Shows a hatchback style that doesn't open down to the bumper, would make it difficult-- to impossible-- to load/unload things the way I can now.
  • quidquid Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 STi is near perfect.
    The 2007 STi Limited is even closer.

Trunk hinges: get them out of the way of the cargo.
    See a VW Jetta 1996 -2004.

Gas tank 3+ gallons bigger.

Angle the switchgear in the centre console at the driver.

I have the automatic climate control, works well
    if you study the switches well during every use.

Make the indicator lights *bright* to show the AC is on easy to see.
    In bright summer day, with sunglasses.
    Brighter than a thousand suns, if need be.
    Have a rocker switch for AC and another for defogging
    so I can have one touch cold or one touch defogging
    and can confirm the settings are what I asked for.

Colour code them --
    red for hazards
    blue for AC
    amber for defogging.

Heater-defogger element in rearview mirror.

Better, supportive heated front seats.
    iPod etc input plug
    Slightly bigger storage bins, map pockets behind the better seats.

Sound deadening.
    Modest e46 ///m3 style rear spoiler.

Illuminate the lighting and cruise control controls.
    And all window controls.

Add trip computer like BMW, MINI, VW GTI
    with stalk mounted display controls.

Arrange the trunk so I can have at least two full size spares, and no donut spare.

Add holder for gas cap when refueling.

Put the buttons for the remote lock/unlock/security in the key head (see 2002 MINI), and resist activation when I sit down with
    keys in my pocket.

Add more electrial power sockets: two in centre console,
    one in rear seat, one in trunk.

Rubber pucks on underbody to make jacking points obvious.

Trunk release button/latch on outside of car, and on remote.

Louder horn.

Keep all the differentials the way they are. Love the responsiveness, and no traction stability nanny.

Let gas gauge reset when I refule with accessory power on.

Volumous hatchback like GTI bodystyle.

Better air venting so I do not overheat when running windshield defogger air..

Modest rear wing.

Retro bugeye look.

Rub strips -- practical urban bumpers.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    1. Make the "Short-Shift" standard equipment.

2. Shorten the Clutch pedal travel and raise the bottom stop in relation to the footrest.

3. Reduce driveline lash.

4. Provide more seat cushion tilt adjustment (rear of cushion is too low even at maximum height.)

5. Fold-forward rear headrests to improve rearward vision (I have stowed my outboard headrests in the spare tire well, the middle is in the garage.)

6. Move center-rear shoulder belt to port side to avoid obstructing driver's rear quarter view. ( or make the center seatbelt an option - those of us whithout small children are unlikely to use the center position.)

7. Provide continuous adjustment of instrument illumination, rather than discreet steps.

8. Provide a means to turn on instrument lights without turning on the ignition. (e.g switched with parking light switch.

9. Move the fuel door to the proper side (how often does anyone but the driver fuel the car?)

(By the way, I am enjoying the car.)
    9. Move the fuel door to the proper side (how often does anyone but the driver fuel the car?)

Keep it on the other side, as I've saved hours and hours of time when on trips by being able to breeze into a gas station and fill up while others are stuck waiting in line for the other side of the pumps. (around here they require you to pull straight in when on the NJTP to fuel)

-mike
    Better still...

Why not have fuel fillers on both sides? Half the time I visit the gas station the lane that is open is ALWAYS the wrong side for my car. Having 2 fuel fillers is a no-brainer for me.

Bob
    You need a series 1 Jaguar XJ-6 (although I believe the tanks were separate)
    Not going to happen, you'd need to have 2 sets of vapor collectors etc IIRC. Charcoal filter and what not.

-mike
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Maybe the hoses are shorter on the other side of the continent, but, in a pinch, I have no problem pulling up on the "wrong" side and filling up. I just bring the hose over the car and plug it in upside down. No problems, quick, in-and-out. And, there is *just* enough hose to reach. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Would be nice to have some retained power once the car is turned off. It's nice when you think 5 minutes after turning the car off that you might want to put the windows up/down or listen to the radio without having to the turn the key again.

While at it, it would be cool to see Subaru pick up some of the nifty little things that VW puts on their cars like the Automatic windows with the touch of the key fob or some cooled cupholders/console. And I'm not sure if the higher end Impreza's have it but a one-touch open/close roof would be nice, maybe even a dual roof like the Legacy.
    I agree with most of those, though:

5. Fold-back might be the better route, especially with children. That way they can fold out of view and not obstruct a passenger of... small stature... should that be the case.

6. Does this belt not retract into the ceiling with a quick pop of a key on the Impreza? I found it to be somewhat obstructive on the Outback as well, but I just retract it any time it is not in use. Somewhat awkward, nonetheless.

8. That would certainly be nice. The odometer/trip meter illuminates with a push of the trip meter button; it would be nice if the whole panel would come to life instead. I think it is a 10-second illumination on the odometer.

Great feedback, daysailor!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    It's illege to fill up on the "wrong" side in most states here in the northeast. You must have the pump on the side where you tank is. And yes our hoses are generally too short to do that.

-mike
    On my Miata it's on top of the rear 1/4 panel, but I can reach it from either side. I have to park close because it's baaaaarely long enough to reach.

I agree with paisan, though, the lines on that side are usually more crowded. It seems more often than not I'm filling up from the opposite side because I avoid the lines.
    I think one year on the 48hrs of Tri-state we rolled into a rest stop with the whole crew and were in-out in no time cause there were no lines for the pumps we needed with the "opposite" fill side. Imagine seeing 20+ subies roll into a rest stop and out before you can get through the pump :)

-mike
    That is a very odd thing to be illegal, but whatever, as long as it keeps people in line. ;)
    Lines? I don't recall lines at gas pumps since the "crisis" of '73/74. One more reason not to live in the overpopulated northeast, I suppose.
    Well, at a rest stop on a holiday weekend you can bet there is a gas line :)

It is also nice though living in the overpopulated northest, in that I can hit up probably over 100+ different resturants in a 1-2 mile radius and none of them are "Applebees, Chilis, etc"

The price we pay for living in the capital of the world :)

-mike
    There were lines on the NJ Turnpike this past weekend.

Oddly, gas was $2.71 for regular on Thursday, and went up to a whopping $2.84 by Sunday on our way back.

I didn't need gas but I did spot a pump on the Subaru side with no line. All others had a line. :P
    Yup and now it's probably 2.89!

Argggg.

-mike
    No, I meant "keep people in line" as in keeping one's ducks in a row. Laws for everything. See? Not a literal line, though there are always (literal) lines here at the pumps on Fridays. I kick myself every time I wait until Friday evening to fill up a tank. Since I usually fill up at 1/8 tank or lower, there are ample opportunities to fill up before, but not so much after.... :blush:
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Foglights and short shifter should of course be standard. Everyone I know wants these two items or adds them if they can.

Full size spare. It looks like it would be stupidly simple to rework the sheetmetal a bit to fit it. There's already enough depth in the spare wheel area as it is.

Lower loading sil/bumper cut out on the wagon. It amazes me to see so many good cars with miserable trunk openings. Take the Fit - the cargo "area" is much larger than the opening. Not by a little like the Subaru, but by a huge amount.

Wider opening rear doors. I like this feature on the Fit, though.

The center armrest should have a slide forward feature so that with a manual transmission, you can have something to rest your elbow on.

Something other than black interior on the base model. Even grey would be better. Black is hot in the sun, afterall.

Storage are in the center console needs to be an inch deeper so you can fit CDs in it and close the door.

Move the clock to the console/radio and clean up the dash. That "opening" on the upper dash looks very 80s.(poor styling, IMO)

6 speed gearbox option on all models.

And of course, most of what the others said.

Plus, my biggest gripe/need: 5mph bumpers! No more plastic and flimsy! Give us real bumpers again!
    I'd like to see "retained power" on all Subarus, so that when you sut off the engine, you still have a minute or so to operate windows, etc.

Oh yeah, let's not forget auto-up power windows too.

Bob
  • rudi2rudi2 Member Posts: 23
    I took one on a test drive today and was quite impressed. One thing however I noticed that I didn't like was the seat comfort and fabric. Is it durable in the light beige shade?does anyone else find it uncomfortable?also what would be a good price for a 2007?has anyone been able to get one for about $17000 plus tax?
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    I would love a diesel option especially with the AWD. Lots of torque and great economy. I can't drive the 2008 yet, obviously, but we might get them here before the US does.
    I think a diesel option where the diesel actually gets really good economy would shoot the car to the top of my must buy list. A redesign on the nose of the 2008 would be another change I want to see. Also for automatic lovers I think a CVT tranny would be miles better than a 5EAT. maybe one with paddle shifters. For me always buy manuals but I think the paddle shifter is here to stay and please if you DO make them have them usable while you are turning.
    I think so, shop at fitzmall.com, they're no haggle and I've seen Impreza prices dip in to the $16s, and their prices include freight.

Diesel yes, but diesel and CVT may be too costly for a small company like Subaru. They're actually talking about Direct Injection for the gas engines, too. :shades:
    Yeah, I think that's doable if you shop around. I got my 2.5i base wagon for $16,500 back in February. Peak AWD season, creeping gas prices and no inkling of the new model that's around the corner yet I got a fantastic price for my Obsidean Black baby.

500 bucks more for an outback seems reasonable. Especially if they want to clear out old inventory for the new one.
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    Diesel yes, but diesel and CVT may be too costly for a small company like Subaru. They're actually talking about Direct Injection for the gas engines, too.

CVT would be much better for their economy and higher end cars. The diesel has already been rumored on Edmunds.
    I'd go for the diesel over gas even if I had to give up some performance to get the better economy.
    I'll take mine with a stick tho. If Subaru stops making manuals I'd no longer buy Subaru's!
    Keep in mind their last CVT experience was pretty much a nightmare. So Subaru is going to be very gun shy with CVTs.
    Really? I though the "Trusty Justy" was pretty reliable in that sense?
    The manuals were better. They had some issues with the CVT.
    CVT technology is now light-years ahead of when it was when the Justy was around. I know Subaru is looking into it. Whether we will see it or not, I don't know.

Bob
    That's totally true, but I'm sure it makes them gun shy.

Look at GM and diesels after the early 80s fiasco. They still don't have any passenger cars or light trucks with diesel I believe, nearly 30 years later.
  • macksrexmacksrex Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 WRX sedan with 112,000 miles on it.

Changes - not much:
    Split, fold down rear seat.
    Make the cruise control more user-friendly (I think the newer models have moved the on/off button to the c.c. lever).
    Cruise control - does NOT want to maintain speed unless the road is glass-smooth. My '99 Saturn SL2 w/5-speed was rock-solid in comparison.

Like I said, there's not much that I would change on my beloved bugeye...

Drive safe!
    Macksrex
    On my 4th Subie:

1st - 2003 Subaru WRX sedan
    2nd - 2005 Subaru WRX sedan
    3rd - 2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
    4th - 2015 Forester XT Touring
    The 2.0 doesn't have the torque that your saturn had, that's why the saturn held the CC better than the 2.0 wrx.

-mike
  • wenheadwenhead Member Posts: 6
    I like the styling of the 08 5 door.Changes I would like to see are better fuel economy.Direct injection tuned for economy sounds good. A deisel sounds good.I like manual shift but a 5speed auto would be okay and give more dealer selection. I would not buy any CVT trans car. As far as I know, they are not repairable, and can have high replacement cost.Lastly I would drive a 2 wheel drive 2.5i. I think there is more to Subaru than all wheel drive. Of course given better fuel economy, awd is great.
    CVTs should be reparaible. Replacement drive belts, perhaps?
  • wenheadwenhead Member Posts: 6
    Some of the Cvt units are sealed, and not meant to be servicable.If you can reference a repairable CVT unit in current use, I will gladly stand corrected.I know that replacement unit cost will drop as number of units produced go up.I know it wouldn't be like over $10,000.00 for an early Audi CVT replacement bill. Also, given a replacement unit would be needed, you could expect a fight over what is acceptable shift quality.It is up to the consumer to know the deal about what you buy.
    I would say that if you get rid of your car before your powertrain warranty goes, it should not be an issue.I like to keep cars.
    We should look at Nissan's more mass-market CVT for cost, though I don't have any data.

I did own a CVT scooter way back when. :D
    I think we'll see more and more CVTs in cars. The Nissans so far are pretty reliable.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.