Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Turbo Issues

2»

Comments

• kenny275kenny275 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks...It does have a small leak at the back of the engine on the drivers side, which does not seem to be leaking on the exhaust at any point. However, this could be blowing over to the exhaust pipe while driving down the road and causing the fumes to be drawn into the car via the cabin air intake. The fumes do not come in as long as I am moving down the road...only when I stop at a traffic light or for some other reason. I am seriously considering putting a newer 2.0 direct injected turbo motor in place of the 1.8. Any ideas about doing this??? My car body is perfect (GLS model) and has most all of the options that came on that car. Another thing that I have done is to wrap the catalytic converter and most of the exhaust pipe under the hood with 1" heat wrap. This made a big difference on getting the heat out from under the hood and even made it run better with less turbo lag! What a deal! Thanks again....Ken
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Interesting idea about swapping engines, but I think it's more complicated than you might imagine. Engine management, transverse to longitudinal (at least if you stick with a VW application), electrical harnesses, exhaust customization...probably not worth the cost.

But if you're a DIYer and have the time and money, anything can be done.
  • kenny275kenny275 Member Posts: 3
    Hey... I looked at a Audi A4 2.0 this morning at my local VW dealership and this engine looks like it will go right into my Passat... Your thoughts on this engine swap???? Thanks...
  • astan84astan84 Member Posts: 2
    Look on driver side in front of rear wheel. You will have to remove the plastic cover.
  • astan84astan84 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know what's wrong?? It runs rough, doesn't die but misses at idle. I have replaced the coils and plugs. Just done a fuel filter. Still sputters. Any ideas?? Thank you.
  • karibenseakaribensea Member Posts: 2
    Have you found the IN LINE gas filter? It sounds like a case of vapor lock which happens when that in line filter gets gunk built up in it ...I hope this helps
    Michele
  • karibenseakaribensea Member Posts: 2
    IN LINE gas filter sounds like vapor lock..I hope this helps
    Michele
  • mdonomdono Member Posts: 1
    This vehicle needed a new catalytic converter at 50K miles. It was always losing oil and the oil pressure alarm would go off at lower RPMs. I was told by dealership that this was normal for turbo engines and to just monitor the oil level which I did. At about 80K miles, the oil pressure alarm started sounding more frequently and now it goes off constantly when driving. After a lot of back and forth with my mechanic (a former VW mechanic) he recommended I take it back to the dealership because he thought it required a major engine repair. VW's Customer Care's response was that my car needs A NEW ENGINE! VW Customer Care is declining any responsibility. Their response "there is no expectation that the engine will last beyond the 60,000 mile warranty".
  • mel74mel74 Member Posts: 1
    My wife noticed this morning that her 06 passat 2.0T is revving higher than usual. Check engine light came on yesterday. Had the oil changed last week. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Mileage is around 62K...
  • katersqdkatersqd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 VW Passat Wagon, 110k miles, which has started to have a lot of difficulty getting up hills, lol. I'll be flooring the accelator and maybe hit 30 mph. Acceleration on flat roads is fine. The check engine light came on in July and at that time I had the timing belt replaced, but I opted not to fix some sensors and a small oil leak, so the check engine light remains on. At that time the mechanics were investigating my complaint of a "whirring" sound upon hitting 60mph on the freeway, but they thought it might be something with the turbo and they quoted me thousands of dollars to fix that, so I opted out for them to dig further into the turbo. The car has only been fed full synthetic according to records; I am the third owner, bought it a year and a half ago and have put 10k miles on since. Anyone else experiencing this power issue?
  • ngurusimon1ngurusimon1 Member Posts: 1
    am actually having the same issue with mine...they told me its going to cost something like 1500 dollars...i dont think ill ever own a volkswagen again