Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004 Malibu Cruise Control Issues

markc85038markc85038 Member Posts: 5
2004 Malbu cruise control works intermittenly. Dealer has replaced +/- switch with no change. No codes are stored in the computer related to cruise. Anyone else had this problem? Solutions?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Is it actually a Malibu (new body style) or "Classic" (old body style)?

When you say it works intermittently does that mean it "drops out" or it just won't engage at times?
  • Options
    It is the new style and it just won't engage sometimes. If it comes on the resume feature continues to work, but I lose the coast feature sometimes.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Seems like there was someone else on boards who had a weird cruise complaint also. Only suggestion I have for you is to evaluate if the inop cruise operation only occurs during daytime or nighttime. I am wondering if it has anything to do with whether the switches are backlit or not.
  • Options
    It occurs day or night and doesn't seem to have any pattern associated with it. It hasn't worked for the last two days but worked fine for the previous week or so. Of course when I take it to the dealer it works great.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Seems like there was someone else on boards who had a weird cruise complaint also.

It was probably me!!! You name it, my cruise control has done it. It is easily the worst such system I've had in any car I've owned.

Last winter was an absolute nightmare, with the thing quitting unexpectedly while driving on long trips, or failing to engage at all, or refusing to accelerate or decelerate in response to the steering wheel switches.

Things have improved considerably since my dealer finally replaced the BCM. Every once in a while, though, pressing the + or - switch will cause the system to disengage. But this is now extremely rare. Most of the time it works OK although my big complaint, the reluctance to disengage when applying the brakes, continues.

Follow e2helper's advice, and good luck!
  • Options
    Mine is back at the dealer today for BCM replacement. Hope that does the trick. Thanks for pointing me in that direction
  • Options
    It turns out that when my cruise wasn't working, the brake lights were not working either. Lucky I didn't get rear ended. I am not sure what they did other than replace the brake switch under the dash
  • Options
    bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    My cruise control worked intermittently. Would not work for 2 weeks, then it would work for 2-3. Then same cycle over. Other problem is that steering clunk thing. Column and steering gear replaced 3 times. BUT, I am happy to announce I am now rid of that car after 56,000 miles. An SUV did me a favor and drove into the front and totalled it. From the top of the bumper it sheared and buckled the entire front end. This was about a 15 mile an hour thing. 2 scratches on her SUV. Mine destroyed. I got enough money out of their insurance to almost pay for a new 08 Saturn Aura. Which I bought and love very much. Only one problem, the evaporator is leaking, but they are replacing it.
  • Options
    butch100butch100 Member Posts: 28
    My '05 CC is being fixed, same type of symptoms, work for 2 weeks then quit for a week ect. Finally it totally died, the dealer replaced the BCM but it still didn't work so they are going to replace the set/resume switch next week (had to order it). Code set was PO575. Sadly, I have had a lot of electrical issues, dash lights went out, CD player broke, door locks broken. car goes out of Warr. in Nov. Need to make a decision as to sell it, shame cause it gets amazing gas mileage for a 200HP V6..
  • Options
    butch100butch100 Member Posts: 28
    Dealer checked my brake lights out before he started fixing the CC, said that if a brake light is not working the CC will not engage..
  • Options
    jhilkojhilko Member Posts: 1
    The cruise control works intermittently & stops working while driving. I must hit the brake pedal in order to engage the cruise. If I do not hit the brake pedal I can not engage the cruise control. I have 125,000 mile on the 2004 MAXX.
  • Options
    sickofmymalibusickofmymalibu Member Posts: 1
This discussion has been closed.