Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350 Service Contract and Extended Warranty

microbemicrobe Member Posts: 4
I think we might need a dedicated thread.

I just bought an RX350 (07) for 37450 plus TT. It was a pretty pleasant experience, but one thing is they tried to sell me separate service contract. It was 50000 miles service plus extended warranty (to 100K miles) for a bit less than $4K. The SUV needs a service every 5K miles and the first service is free anyway, so it's like 9 services.

I live in bay area, CA. I am just wondering whether it's worth it.

The good: they not only do the service but also take care of transporting the car for it, so I don't have to drive to the dealer myself.

The bad: payment up front, and I personally do not care for extended warranty much (although it might be good for resale).

I drive less than 10K miles a year and plan to keep the vehicle for at least five years.

Any comments? Especially for previous Lexus owner. How much does it cost you for service?

I signed the service contract separately but could call back before Wednesday to cancel it. So your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    Cancel it!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might want to check out the existing Extended Warranties discussion.

tidester, host
  • microbemicrobe Member Posts: 4
    It's not exactly the same as EW. It's actually a (prepaid) maintenance plan which covers all maintenance for 50000 miles, and Extended Warranty is also included.

So I'd like to see whether the cost of all the maintenance justifies it.
  • mjd2mjd2 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering an extended warranty. WHat is your experience with AAAutoWarranty or other companies?
    thanks, Mjd2
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Make sure you know what type of EW they offered.
    There are gold and platinum. Platinum costs more, but covers more parts.
    I say buy only the EW, not the 50K service.
    I saved $700 on 7yrs/100K miles/$0 deductible/platinum
    when I showed them an on-line quote from another Lexus
    dealer.
  • cjam2cjam2 Member Posts: 1
    I looked at Auto repair Warranty. online they appear to be covering all bases. and very affordable bumper to bumper coverage.
    $1860 for 7yrs/100K/$0 deductible, Platinum coverage. It's
    a Lexus warranty.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Compare the list of their scheduled maintenace and included items to the schedule in the owners manual. Most of the time these prepaid maintenance plan may include a lot of items that may be a good ideal, but are not specifically recommended by the manufacturer. Yes, you do need to have the oil & filter changed on a regular schedule but using a $40 per change cost, that works out to maybe $400. Now find out the other services required by the manufacturer and also the cost of the Extended Warranty.

So, if the extended warranty cost $2000 for example and the oil changes are $400, the total is $2400. So, you need to find out if the remaining required items are worth $1600 (assuming $4000 cost.)
    I believe they charge $100 per oil change visit. The first
    oil change is on the house.
  • jimmy23jimmy23 Member Posts: 1
    I think you got a great price on the car. Would you mind sharing what dealer or online program you used?
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    My Good buddy is going to buy a brand new 400 series Lexus Hybrid SUV in Northern California. He wants an extended warranty. When I have bought mine in the past I have always gone to Edmunds first and have always found some dealership many states away that I can get a better deal with. Any suggestions on which way to lead him? Thanks!
  • solar2000solar2000 Member Posts: 25
    Hi guys, just wanted an opinion from some of you experienced owners..

I just bought a 2008 RX350 today.

What do you think about the extended warranty plan? 7 yr/75000 miles or 7 yr/100000 miles? Is it worth it? How much are lexus repairs beyond the 4 year mark? I know it's too early to tell but those of you with the 300's.. I just made my down payment, and have a chance to buy one of these options (such as the simonize thing and other stuff) before my final deal is done (i'm already committed...paid a significant deposit already).

thanks in advance for your opinions.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may also be interested in this general discussion: Extended Warranties

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rpacrpac Member Posts: 83
    Hi Solar 2000 – Interesting post you put up. Let me say this. I just purchased a 08 RX350 AND the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. Had the car for about a week and talked to a buddy of mine that works for Honda. He said why are you buying the warranty now?? You already have a 4/50000 mile warranty. Wait until just before your original warranty is due to expire and then buy if you still have the car. If you are financing the car think of the interest you are paying on the warranty alone! No, bad idea.
    So I went back to dealer and although they had processed my contract they agreed to pull out the warranty and all is well. Good Luck and Happy Driving!
    And by the way, once your original warranty has expired the costs in repairs etc are prohibitive, and I highly recommend buying your extended warranty at that time. Just don’t let your original warranty expire before you buy the extended warranty. Also, it will give you a much better picture of how many miles you drive per year, and in that way you can calculate how long an extended warranty you should buy. Don’t buy any of the other stuff like simonize etc. It’s a big rip off.
  • joeyijoeyi Member Posts: 13
    My factory warranty is about to come up on my 2005 RX 330 and I have been debating if I should purchase an extended warranty. I have recieved a qoute for $2350 for 7yrs/100,000 miles from my local Lexus dealership. Can anyone let me know if this is a good price or what amount has been paid for this warranty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I need to make my decision fairly quickly!
    Thanks!!
  • mjd2mjd2 Member Posts: 2
    If it is a Lexus warranty sounds like a fair deal. I purchased a 100,000 mile extended warranty from "First Automotive" for $2,061 when I purchased a 2005 RX330 which had 43,000 miles on it.
    I have not yet used the warranty so can't comment on it but if all coverages were equal , I would rather have Lexus warranty for the $300 additional.
    Mark D.
  • mookie18mookie18 Member Posts: 15
    You can get the extended warranty from other Lexus dealers.
    I found some contact info on another Lexus forum for dealers and quotes they gave were about $500 less than the listed price on the Lexus site.
    The quotes I requested were for platinum warranty for either 7yr/75k or 7yr/100k.
    Didn't buy it because I extended my lease, but will definitely buy the warranty if I eventually decide to buy my 2007 RX350.
    Not sure if it's ok to include in this post, but the forum where I found other dealer info for cheap extended warranty was Club Lexus.
  • jsomeillanjsomeillan Member Posts: 9
    You can get an exrtended warranty after the purchase as long as the vehicle did not exceed the original 4yrs/50kmiles threshold.

Iam shopping for extended warranties myself for an '07 RX350 and got some good prices from other dealers -not in CA.

Lowest so far have been from Lexus dealer in shreveport, LA and from webargain4u.com . Both well below $2k.

Joe
  • jsomeillanjsomeillan Member Posts: 9
    You can get a 7yr/75k or 8yr/75k for about $1600-1800 at out of state Lexus dealers.--the platinum one also.

Joe
  • roblawroblaw Member Posts: 17
    I got a great deal from that same Lexus dealer in Shreveport, LA. $1525.00 for 6/100.
  • umn65umn65 Member Posts: 2
    I know the RX 350 has very high reliability, and my experience is consistent with its reputation. But now that the car has 40,000 miles and I've decided to keep it at the end of the lease, I'd like to be protected against big repairs. Has anyone bought an extended warranty and then had any claims experience?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    My RX has over 100,000 miles on it and have had 0 repairs that would have been covered under a warranty. I have just done routine maintenance.
  • yaskazyaskaz Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if you get the money back if you don't use the warranty ?
  • wcs1885wcs1885 Member Posts: 15
    What are the basic coverages on a newly purchased 2011 RX 350? Is the road hazard warranty available too? Any suggestions or thoughts on this?
  • lexusmom19lexusmom19 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2012 Lexus RX 350.

Researched and found out that you can purchase your Lexus Extended Warranty Agreements out of state from any Lexus dealership and have the warranty applied to your car with no problem or issues. I saved big bucks on a Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty Agreement - 5yrs/100,000 with 0 deductible.

This time for my 2012 RX 350 which I purchased in Oct. I bought my warranty in GA. Had the contract sent to me and gave credit card info over the phone. The dealership in GA sent the contract to Lexus and it has already been applied to my car. I just checked when I took it in for a car wash yesterday. Took less than 2 weeks.

This is the second RX I own. For my 2004 RX I paid the full $1875.00 for this warranty at the dealership I bought the car.

I was waiting until this transaction was fully done to put up a post. The dealership in GA that I used and would recommend is Butler Lexus in Macon, GA. I emailed Lexus dealerships in GA, SC and NC also CA. But by far here was no one could touch their price. Great experience and customer service. Recommend Highly.

Here is the contact info. If you are interested.

Butler Lexus
    4550 Riverside Drive
    Macon, GA 31210
  • sl1040cpasl1040cpa Member Posts: 1
    I am purchasing a new RX350 2012 next week and would like to purchase an extended warranty foe 5 yrs/100000 miles, zero deductible.. What can I expect to pay ..how much did you pay for your extended warranty at Butler Lexus, in Macon Ga.?
    The extended warranty MSRP is $1875.00 I believe for 5yrs/100,000 Lexus Platinum. You can check prices at Lexus site. I saved almost $800.00 in Oct.
  • jaxflygirljaxflygirl Member Posts: 25
    I have a new IS 250, 2012 on order from lexus of Jacksonville, FL. It should be here this week. I was wondering about the warranty also. They quoted me $2375 for 8 year/100,000miles zero ded. or $3,000 for 8 year/125,000 miles. Is this a good deal? I will call the GA dealer tomorrow to see if they can offer lower price. What about waiting until the original 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty is just before expiring? Would it be beneficial to do it now or later? Thank you!!
    The best way to find out the MSRP for warranty on your car is to go to Lexus website and take a look at the pricing for extended warranty service agreements.

There are two types of warranty agreements that Lexus sells they have a Platinum with 0 deductible or Gold with I think a $50.00 deductible. Of course the coverage on warranty is different and the cost from Platinum to Gold for an RX 350 was not worth the diffrence.

You can wait until your original warranty expires to get extended warranty. I have always purchased the warranty when I bought the car so I can't tell you if the pricing changes.

You can also email various dealerships in any US state and ask for warranty prices. Like I said I live in Florida and purchased mine in GA. No problem because they sent contract from GA dealership to lexus and it was applied to my new car by Vin #. I also got the original extended warranty service agreement from Lexus that covers my car for 100,000.

Also, there seems to be a law in Fla that states that they cannot offer discount on extended warranty agreements on cars. That is what I was told by the dealership. So they could not offer me a discount.

I hope this helps and good luck with your new lexus.
    Thank you! Your info is correct, the GA dealership told me the same thing. When I signed my paperwork for the new car yesterday and mentioned that I was purchasing the warranty elsewhere, the finance manager got kind of ugly w/me and said that I may not get preferential treatment from the Service Dept if I didn't purchase the warranty there!! Thats very unprofessional. I am going to tell the GM about his comments. After all, I did just buy a brand new $41k car from them!! I deserve the same treatment as anyone else! Really ticked me off! They have not been the nicest people to deal with, I'm here in FL also, Jacksonville. I can't say as I recommend them. They only really dealt with me fairly after I told them the DEAL I got over the phone from the lexus Orlando store! I'm going to buy the plan from GA as well. Merry Christmas!
    I am glad that I could help. I am sure that you will be able to comment on your experience with Lexus soon. They have a great customer satisfaction survey team. They will send you something in the mail and even call you. Remember that Lexus is a company that will honor your service agreement anywhere in the US. I currenty own two Lexus vehicles. So I am a loyalty customer. Congrats and enjoy your new car. Happy Holidays!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2011
    Please take a few minutes to write up a dealer review. And you can mention to the owner that if you get a survey you plan to ding the dealer for the treatment you got from the finance manager. They may offer a sweetener (okay, a bribe) for a better rating. If you don't get a survey, you may want to contact Lexus and let them know about your experience.

Enjoy the new ride!
    Thank you!
    I purchased the warranty today from the Lexus dealership in Macon GA. VERY nice man, Mr. Hart in finance. Really helpful. I'm very happy with his service! Too bad the lexus dealership in Jax was not so nice! Thank you all for the advice on here, saved me a lot of $$!. Awesome!
  • ldh313ldh313 Member Posts: 4
    Hello! Could you share the final pricing the GA dealer gave for the warranty options you mentioned earlier? I'm signing papers tomorrow.
  • armorarmor Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2013 RX 350 in Southern California. It actually took about a week to come in but I signed everything initially but had to re-sign b/c of a different VIN #. The first time I signed, I had not researched the extended warranty and bought what they were selling b/c it wasn't too bad $2225. Then, I read here about the dealer in Macon, GA, called him, and he quoted me $1710 for the 5 yr/125,000 mile warranty. When I went back to my dealer to pick up the car and re-sign, I told the finance woman I had another price on the warranty. She put on a good face and told me that these warranties are from Lexus who sets the price and that price is actually their 2009 price. They are supposed to raise them X % every year but they didn't. I said no thanks...Then she started printing more papers and talking about how I probably wasn't comparing apples to apples - this warranty was for the platinum, 0 deductible, and was from Lexus - the quote I had was probably specific to one dealer. I didn't play along. Then she said that the best she could do was to take off a few hundred dollars. She didn't say she could take off five hundred, so I said no thanks. I'll get it through the dealer in Macon, GA.

I appreciate how informative these forums are. Thank you all.
  • pjirvinepjirvine Member Posts: 5
    Aren't the first 4 years covered by the manufacturer's warranty? Are you buying a 1 year for $1710?
    The warranty for a lexus vehicle is valid according to the amount of miles your car has not years. Lexus has additional extended warranty plans fro your car that you can purchase according to mileage you think you will put on your cars and years accordingly.
  • ldh313ldh313 Member Posts: 4
    Hello! This forum was great when I was purchasing my 2011 RX350, so I feel it is important to warn against "shopping on the internet" for warranties. I work in the automotive lending business, and have seen many customers unhappy with NON-manufacturer warranties. I bought the Lexus warranty, and always recommend going with the manufacturer. This forum was very helpful in negotiating a lower price, however. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wouldn't trust any of those third party companies. I barely would trust the ones backed by the manufacturer.
  • kewl_carkewl_car Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a pre-owned Lexus RX350 with 62k on it. I am interested in buying extended warranty from Lexus. Anyone knows where should I buy it from? I called couple of Lexus dealerships in MD and they are selling it for ridiculous prices. Some of them will not even sell it to me as I didn't buy the car from them.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance
  • carbuyernow1carbuyernow1 Member Posts: 9

Purchased 8 year/125 k mile Platinum warranty for my new Lexus RX350 for $2710. Happy about it!. Just incase any electrical problems happen after 100k.