Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Electrical Issues

casualfccasualfc Member Posts: 13
99 Nissan Altima GXE. 78K. great car. Not many complaints. Recently, the interior light's been flickering on and off. more specifically, it turns on with hard stops and flickers on bumps occasionally. The light on the dash for open door blinks along with it. I've checked all the doors and the trunk and they all appear to be closed tight (as far as I know). Is there a possibility that one of the door sensors is loose or malfunctioning? What's a good way to troubleshhot this? I think and hope this an easy fix that I can take care of.

Comments

• xotibmagxxotibmagx Member Posts: 1
    HEY! i got the same problem. Same car, and same year with the same trim, well anyways my car was hit on that side. It's still damaged but the problem is that the bottom of the door on my car,(the part that connects to the sensor) is bent to the outside a little bit, but not that much cuz when i drive, the light on the dash blinks, so does the interior light(i just turned it off, it stayed on whenever i left my car). maybe the sensor isn't connecting well, u should have it looked at. ohhh..one thing, all my doors except my driver door has a sensor, do u have the same thing?
  • casualfccasualfc Member Posts: 13
    My car hasn't been hit on the sides. My driver door has a sensor, and my guess is that it's the one that's on the driver side that's giving me trouble. I fiddle with the sensor and it goes away. We'll see what else comes of it. Evenetually I'll find out what sensor it is but it looks okay for now.
  • casualfccasualfc Member Posts: 13
    It's still doing it. It actually seems that when i get up or down from the seat of the car it turns on/off. I've fiddled with the door sensors which seem OK. Could there be wiring running under the seat (stock wiring) that has a short or something? It's very puzzling since I've never done any electrical modifications to the car. Any suggestions?
  • allie24allie24 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2000 Altima since 2003, with very few problems, except for some intermittent electrical issues, which very recently turned major. Yesterday the car started smoking from inside the cabin (from under the dash of the passenger side). This is most likely some electrical wires overheating/touching, etc.). I had it towed to the Nissan Dealer, and it is now being checked out, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced problems with this before.
    About six months ago, a fuse would blow when I tried to start the car. All I had to do was replace them, and the car would start, but my mechanic could not pinpoint where the problem was in the electrical system. This happened three times in two weeks. Since then, I haven't had any problems (until yesterday). Also, I have to replace the battery about every 9 months, as the battery will completely die, and will not hold a recharge. I'm assuming this drain is also related to some electrical problem. Any help or suggestions on what the problem might be? :confuse: :sick:
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Hope for the best but prepare for the worst... :lemon:
  • panthurpanthur Member Posts: 2
    I also have that problem in my 1998 Altima GXE. Just started, and to think of it, I was in a collision with my passenger side which was fixed a few weeks ago. Now the light dash is constantly blinking and clicking and sometimes my alarm goes off for no reason. I have to take it in, someone let me know if you find out a easy fix for this.. I am pretty sure that this is related to my passenger door but I don't know. Also the hooks that the doors latch to seem to have the coating worn off the metal, not sure if that has happened to you as well.
  • funkyscoobyfunkyscooby Member Posts: 1
    I Just had my battery go out today (at least I think it was) took it to O'Reillys got a new battery installed it. Starts fine but none of the electricals work now Like the radio, wipers, blinkers, power locks, power windows. only think that does work that I have noticed is the headlights and brake lights. Any body know what could be causing any of this? I checked the fuses they looked good. also should add I know nothing about cars. Any help would be most appreciated..
  • panthurpanthur Member Posts: 2
    I took mine to the dealership and they said my keyless entry sensor was going bad which was shorting out the door sensors and draining the battery. They quoted me over $600 to replace it. I asked them to instead just unwire my dome light since that was what was draining the battery but I find this morning my car won't start, the battery is still drained. Now i have to figure out what I'm going to do. I originally asked them to disconnect the keyless sensor but they claimed it would possibly give a computer error and my alarm would not work. Which I can live with since it is a 98.. But I need it to start!
  • mycar7mycar7 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a '01 Altima GXE last July, All went well until Feb. Driving along and the dash instruments go to "0" odo.(digital) goes blank. Done this off and on then around March it started to lose power when the dash went blank. I would stop the car. turn it off for 5 min. then off we'd go. It got so bad i was afraid to drive it. the service engine light soon has come on once or twice. Got it to the garage during one of those times. they have replaced
    wiring ,a tune-up,new battery,new computer, a Nissian serviceman has worked with them on it , still doing it. they have had it a month. Has ANYONE else had this problem???
  • blackdayzblackdayz Member Posts: 16
    I am having almost the issues as {funkyscooby},I bought the cars used.The cars runs ok but a few days ago the battery went dead.I charged it and it seemed to be ok.Since then the car died from lack of power(low battery).I charged it again and now have no turn signals ,horn, wondows, fuel ga., temp ga.Termanals are fine and so are fuses.
  • trashbiztrashbiz Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Altima 3.5L (5sp. manual) started having electrical problems -the a/c quit working, tail-lights wouldn't work, windshield wipers wouldn't work, headlights wouldn't shut off when left in the auto position, etc. I had the alternator checked and replaced -it was only putting out about 40 amps -but the a/c, tail-lights and the windshield wipers still will not work. Any ideas?
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Member Posts: 78
    I bought this car new. Ever since, my local mileage has been pretty crappy. Aourn 20mpg. On the highways, I can get around 30. I know that stop and go will bring down the gas consumption ,as will using the ac/c. I am up to close to 50K miles. In the "old days" I would change plugs (evejn if platinum) around 60 K miles. My dealer suggests that I wait intil I get close to 90,000 miles. I do change air filters regulalry. They have not looked dirty. Any idea?
  • bump4bump4 Member Posts: 3
    does the car have an aftermaket stereo system..if it does it could be not installed correctly....also get your alternator tested
  • bump4bump4 Member Posts: 3
    try changing you fuel filter and if you can help it---try to stick to one or two differnt gas stations and check the gap on your plugs to see if it's the right gap ...that may help
  • tleytley Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5S. There is an electrical problem. When driving the car the engine will suddenly stop. After 45 minutes the car will start again. There is no rain involved.

Has anyone had this problem and how did you get it fixed?
  • philip10philip10 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Altima GXE has recently had the same problem. It began several months ago with the fuel gauge indicator being intermittent. It would not come on at start up, then suddenly coming on after driving 15 minutes like the car got an "erection". Or I would have to tap the glass in front of the fuel gauge indicator with my finger to get it to come up. It was more a nuisance than a problem. On one occasion a month ago, my speedometer suddenly froze at "50 mph" regardless of my speed or stopping. After shutting down and restarting car after several minutes, the indicator came back normal. In September 2007. I moved much farther from my job- an hour to hour ten minute drive and on 4 occasions the ENTIRE instrument cluster would go out suddenly after driving for about an hour, speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, temperature gauge. My impression is it seems to happen intermittently and only after engine heats up after driving about an hour. (Note my radio, heater, head lights which were in use did NOT go out). If I would stop and restart engine after 10 minutes, all indicators would come back up normally. It last happened going into work on the tollway one morning. I actually saw the speedometer suddenly go to zero. The odometer, tachometer, etc, and the engine seemed to stall and I was slowly losing speed. I managed to pull off on shoulder with a semi barreling down behind me. After 15 minutes I was able to start normally, get on the road, and limp into work. The car seem to run a bit sluggish. I did not trust driving it so had the car towed back from work to the dealer where I bought it. The Service Department thought it might be a Tachometer problem. Nissan advised the Service Department to replace all of the gauges in the instrument cluster under the extended warranty, and at least for now, the car seems to run okay. Note the cluster consists of more than one asm. I have driven the car for a week without problem but it is too soon to say the problem has been fixed. I have kind of lost confidence in the vehicle and it may be time to start looking for another car, but I still have about 8 mos of payments remaining on the car. Note at NO time did the "service engine" light come on. The problem may be electrical, but could be the result of the car heating up after driving awhile. At least, this was suggested by one person in the service department. If this is the case, then the new instrument gauges may not resolve the underlying problem. Only time will tell. Right now I am driving it but don't have complete piece of mind.
  • buddy19buddy19 Member Posts: 7
    yes can somebody please help me!!! a couple months ago somebody broke into my car and stole my deck. i got it replaced and now when ever i turn my headlights on my dash lights go off please help me with this problem thanks alot
    my heater in my car also went out any ideas
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    check your fuses.
    where are the fuses for my heater i think i have checked them all but not sure
    My best guess is that doing an internet search will show you the location. I also think that you can access the fuses under the dash, near the hood release. (Left side) The lid to the box will normally tell you the location and function of each fuse. I trust you may have the tool to remove. (No big deal, fingers work.)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Do you have your manual? It should show you which one is for the heater, but if you don't have one, a Google search may very well help as skinsfan3 suggests, or someone here may be able to help. It would probably help to know what year and model your Altima is.
    yes i do have standard and it is a 2002 altima 2.5 S. please help it is really cold and i have a 2 yr old son i have to take to daycare in the morning
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If anyone knows the answer, I'm sure they'll chime in. Whether you'll hear from someone before you have to leave in the morning just depends on who happens to stop by here. I'd try the google search that was recommended while you are waiting.

Good luck.
    I have a 2003 and don't know where the fuses are. I did have an 86mr2 and the fuses were located under the hood. I wonder if your problem is really the fuse? I know that sometimes replacing water in a radiator might result in a pressure problem, causing the heating sytem no become inoperable. I hope it is only a fuse, which should run you about 2 bucks. ;)
    i did have to change my o2 sensor and i disconnected and drained the radior could that be the problem if so how can i fix that
    I think that should be addressed in your owners manual, or a shop manual if you have one. Don't forget about an internet search. By the way, I would not fiddle around with a change in the thermostat. In the old days, we used to take them out, but that is a crappy way to solve what should be an easy problem. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, watch out since the thermostats used to be housed in a casting and tightening up would crack them. I wonder what they do these days?
  • bcoloradobcolorado Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Altima GLE. I was glad to read about your experience because my car is doing the same thing except so far the engine has not stalled, however, if I am on the highway, the cruise control goes right out and the car quickly slows and continues to slow until I accelerate. The car continues to run, but the speedometer, the odometer, etc. is completely blank. After the car is off for a long time, when I restart it, the speedometer, odometer, etc. are working, but if I am on the highway again, or if I use the cruise control, it happens all over again. It sometimes happens when I drive in the city, but not as often. If I can't find the solution, I am afraid the problem may become progressively worse with the car stalling in traffic and other electrical problems. Urgent, Please let me know if the new instrument gauges you had installed has solved this problem!! Thank you so much!!
  • philip10philip10 Member Posts: 2
    The Nissan dealer where I bought the car replaced the instrument cluster under the extended warranty. (I only had to pay $50 deductible). The cluster consists of different gauges: odometer, temperature, fuel, tachometer. So far I have driven the car over 2050 miles and the problem has not recurred. The displays have not gone out and I have not experienced any slowing down or stalling.
    the other day i was parked on an incline and my car would not start so i had it towed and they found out after bout 4 hours my spark plugs were wet..now i am in the same place 2 weeks later i took them out today after work and only 2 were wet and 1 was burned so i dried them off and installed them and still no start it sounds like it is trying to start but just wont somebody please help me!!!!!!!!
  • jayson1128jayson1128 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Altima GXE and I have been having problems lately with my lights on my radio fading in and out on occasion.  I also have a problem starting my car sometimes, it is fine when I first start it up in the morning but after that first start it will sputter out if I do not immediately press on the gas.  When I am at a light the RPM's go below 1000 and it feels like it is going to conk out on me.  Now I have noticed that the brake light is on the dash but my emergency brake is not up.  I thought it might be because it was cold and maybe it is just stuck enough to flash the light.  Any help on these problems would be great, I am supposed to go to the shop next thurs. and I want to have an idea of what to expect plus I don't wanna get ripped off. Thanks,Jayson
  • SagemarieSagemarie Member Posts: 1
    This has happened to me - twice. It is in the shop now - the service manager says it a mystery. I was wanting to know what you found out about your car.
    Mine (2003) altima would nor start after it stayed overnight for a couple of days. I need a new alternator. No poblem since.
  • heyyou3heyyou3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Altima. The horn does not work. I changed the horn relay under the hood and it still does not work. I need know if there is a fuse for the horn in the fuse box under the dash board. I don't have the cover for the fuse box where it should be labelled. The owner's manual does not have the fuse diagram in it. If you have the diagram I would love to have it. Also could you suggest trouble shooting steps. Thnx
    I believe you will find what you need via a nt search. That is a good place to look for he factory manual. It is not impossible that the problem may be related to how the wheel cover sits on the wheel. That is just a guess on my part.
  • pitadavispitadavis Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra and my horn does not work either. My fuse for the horn is under the hood near where I found the horn relay. My horn fuse was good so my next step is to replace the horn relay. I checked with an electrical mechanic today and he is my next stop if the horn relay does not fix my problem, but I am assuming I have an electrical problem because my cigarette lighter where I plug in my cell phone charger is no longer working either.
  • nosferatunosferatu Member Posts: 2
    My front passenger side window will not go up and I noticed that the dorr locks do not work either. This all happened at 37000 miles 1 thousand after the warranty. Has anyone experienced this problem and if this is a fuse issue how do I find it. The Altima is a 2007 4 cyl
    Consider yourself luck. My 2003 altimora started locking doors on its own early on. Which means that I have to be careful and remember to take my keys with me. I noticed this happens when I open the rear doof on the driver side, although it now doesd it on its' own.
  • fstpitch33fstpitch33 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Altima has been giving me problems with the main door switch (drivers door). The swith quit operating some windows and I had it repaced for over $170. It worked great (except for rear door behind the driver) for two days and now is having problems again. It is not working the window or the doors locks properly. Any clues as to what may be going on??
    Welcome to the club. I have a 2003 and the door behind the driver's seat has always managed to lock al the doors, after it has been open for a few minutes. Now It seems that if I close my doors, all of the locks shut. So I have to use caution and make sure I take the keys with me. My latest problem is that the roof light doesn't. whenever I open the driver's side rear door. The other door works. I am abut to try to fix the light problem, but I have no idea as to what is wrong with the electrical and doors. I figure there must be a solenoid somewhere that has gone bad. It may very well be that this is a defect in all 2003 models. I love the car and it has been relatively trouble free over these years
  • jacy927jacy927 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with your car? I have a 2000 altima and am having the same problem with the horn and cigarette lighters. The fuses looked good so I will try the horn relay. Was wondering if you had anymore insight.
  • g35floodedg35flooded Member Posts: 44
    Hey Guys,

I just recently gave back my Infiniti G35 due to getting older and getting engaged so saving money right now is a smart thing to do so I picked up an 06 altima special addition from someone on craigslist.

The car runs great and only has 33k miles on it and I just got a new battery and tires which I already new before I got the car.

Anyway, the owner advised me about the driver side window not closing automatically due to a security glitch all nissans and infiniti has. I had the same problem with my Infiniti but the fix was different than it is with the altima.

Basically when i close my window with the "one touch up " push of the button the window goes all the way to the top and then back down about 4 inches as a security measure as if there is something in the window. I believe there is a switch to turn that off under the door panel but I want to make sure before I do this myself. The car is no longet under the warranty and the dealership will prob charge me 50bucks or so so I fiugre I can just do it myself. If anyone here knows the fix please let me know . Thanks!
  • nosferatunosferatu Member Posts: 2
    Okay where do I find the window and door lock fuses on a 2007 Altima. The diagram in the fuse panel does not identify where they are
  • joebatavia06joebatavia06 Member Posts: 1
    I was working on a friends car and we were installing lights and he wanted to use the glove box light for the power. It didnt work when hooked up, so we got the lights working, he starts his car to leave and notices that the rear tail lights dont come on, the instrument cluster, and the dash board lights dont come on, any ideas. We checked all the fuses and they are fine.
  • akmalcoakmalco Member Posts: 1
    Nissan Altima 1997, 140000 miles, 3 month age i changed my alternator for remanufactured alternator from Autozone. I have problem with my alternator (I guess). When i'm driving my car with heat, CD player, wipers and headlights on headlights starts going darker and suddenly goes very light and dies. It happening even when i'm driving only with headlights on, also when i'm acceleration its contributing to the problem..
    I observed that its happening with dashboard too.. Headlights and dashboard lights suddenly going dark and light.. I changed my headlights 3 times!Sometimes while i'm driving "Brake", "Open door" and other lights flashing.
    IS IT BECAUSE OF ALTERNATOR??? Because mechanic checked fuses, battery and other electrical things and said they are ok..

Thank you for responds..

Akmal
  • kembeaukembeau Member Posts: 1
    98 Nissan Altima - dashboard lights go off randomly with no pattern. You can be driving on the highway, street or sitting still and they will go off for a few seconds and then come back on. This has been going on for about 3 mos. I've taken it to CarMax, where I got it, and they want to duplicate it, but it won't while they have it! They did a diagnostic, finally, and the battery, alternator and starter all check out fine. Last week, my daughter came back out to her car and it wouldn't start. It didn't make any sound, no clicking even, so we called a tow truck. When he came, it started. I don't know if that's related, but there it is. Can anyone help us figure out how to fix the car?
  • motonationmotonation Member Posts: 34
    Are you sure all of the fuses are ok? I ask because my Integra is wired such that the parking/running/tailights and instrument panel lights share a common fuse. When your instrument panel lights go out, you instantly know that you don't have any tailights either.

Just happened to me the other day; a small wiring glitch and a fuse fixed me right up.
  • deewrightdeewright Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I don't have a solution except that I have a 97 altima with about 157K miles and my dashboard went dark this past Sunday. I mean car just completely died at a stop light, the warning I got hours earlier were, brake and battery and air bag lights came on. And then nothing, the accelearation slowed down and then stalled.

So my mechanic checks it out and tells me that the alternator needs to be fixed or replaced and needs a new computer because the alternator wore it down, I guess? So end result, when I get the car, he tells me he's replaced the computer and rewired the alternator into the computer. I replaced my alternator last about 4 years ago in 2006 at a Sears tire shop.
    He charged me $500 for parts and labor for the replacement computor. I plan to call him to verify if he kept the same alternator in the car. I hope to not have this problem again for a while, yet as I talk to people with older similar vehicles (Pontiac grand prix, et) the samething happens as well.
    I just want to know if this is something that I need to anticipate happening every now and again??
    I hope that you are not one of those unlucky people that inadvertently somehow managed to hit the dashboard light dimmer (hard to find on some later altima models.Refer to the owner's manual.