Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Entourage Rattling Noise

pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
Rear Cargo Door rattles. Dealer has adjusted it twice now. Only lasts about 3 or four weeks then returns. Has anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• lt63lt63 Member Posts: 2
    YES!!!!
    My car has been in the service department 3 times before they found out what the problem was. They attempted to fix it- only for the problem to return shortly thereafter. I purchased at the beginning of June and have been having the problem all summer. I am ready to drive it back onto the showroom floor. The dealer has not been very helpful. But I think I have a :lemon:
  • lt63lt63 Member Posts: 2
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    Your too nice. Im considering driving it THROUGH the showroom floor. ;)

Scheduled another visit after christmas. Will let you know how I make out.

P.S. Also purchased in June...Not ready to call it a lemon since other than the rattle it has been nothing but a pleasure to drive aside from the horrible MPG. 12.6 ( Bummer )
    The dealer made yet another adjustment to the rear lift door. Lets see how long the silence lasts. MPG is up to 16.5 city and 22 highway. Average speed 65 highway.
    Scheduled my 7500 mile checkup for next week. The sqeak in the rear door is back again and now we have a strange noise from under the van. I think its the exaust but my wife thinks its a strut. I have instructed my wife to take everything out of the van ( toys in the doors and cd's ) prior to bringing it in so we can clearly hear the noises. I have done nothing but brag about how good the dealership has been and how well the Entourage has been so far. Lets see if both live up to that...Will update as soon as it comes back.
  • cobhamcobham Member Posts: 1
    My Entourage has already been in once to fix the squeaks coming from the rear door (sounds like a mix between 100 mice and someone rubbing 2 pieces of styrafoam together). The fix lasted a while but is back with a vengeance. I have an appointment next week to get it fixed again. I have a bad feeling that this is going to be a constant problem
    Maybe three times a charm. So far it has been quiet. They used a different type of lubricant. It seems like a gel. Not very neat but if it keeps it quiet back there Im all ears. :)

So far this has been the only issue that keeps returning. Otherwise this van has been a dream for us. The ride is very comfortable on long trips. For the short runs around town and off to work I bought the 07 Limited Santa Fe.
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I also have a entourage. I'm having the same squeaking coming from the back. Bought in june 06. Now have about 10,500 miles on it. Just had it in for oil change and they changed out the power sliding door buttons on door pillar. Said it was a recall. Exspection is due in may. Hope they will solve my squeak. Other wise its been a dream. Gas is averaging about 16 in city. The check engine light was on. said a random misfire. Reset computer,let you know later
  • failsafe1failsafe1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad to know that I'm not alone with my Entourage squeaking problem. I have 6000 miles on the car and have had it back to the dealer 7 times for the squeaking. The noise is really annoying. Every time I pick it up and they say its fixed, the car is fine for 2-3 days and then it starts squeaking like crazy, especially in the rain. The dealer now has had my car for 17 days, believe it or not. They replaced the entire tail gate, still squeaking; they replace the side panel, still squeaking. They are still trying to fix the problem. In the mean time I have a Entourage rental car! This car works great and doesn't squeak. I spoke with the east coast district manager and told them that I would make a NY lemon law complaint and file for arbitration if they didn't replace my car. It's apparent that they can't fix it.I'm waiting for a reply. By the way if anyone has questions regarding how the lemon law works (in NY) I'm happy to help.
  • josm100josm100 Member Posts: 30
    I sorry you are having those problems, I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. I am glad, however, to see your reasoned approach to this issue and the fact that not all entourages are lemons as has been implied by others who had problems with theirs. Best of luck.
    I just got a call from Hyundai America. They are going to replace my squeaker with a new Entourage. I am very pleased now with their customer service!
    So, Hyundai agreed to replace my squeaking and rattling Entourage with a new Entourage, which I thought was great. My wife and I waited for the new Entourage that we picked to be delivered to the dealership. In the meantime, we had a rental courtesy of Hyundai. When the new Entourage arrived, we were thrilled. That is until we took it for a test drive. The new Entourage had 5 miles on it. It squeaked and rattled like a 1966 station wagon. We would not accept it. We were very disapointed. The salesman suggested we test drive the Veracruz, which we did. We loved it. We are now waiting for it to be delivered to the dealership. Hope this test drive goes better than the previous one.
    Just wondering, did they ever find out where the squeaks are coming from. Bought in 06/06. It still squeaks but not enough to bother me. Is possible for owners to fix, meaning, it's something simple?
  • scrazscraz Member Posts: 3
    I just joined and am surprised that others have this same issue. I've had mine in twice for the intermittent squeak. It is acute in the colder months, and non existent in warm weather. Living in Cleveland, Oh, we have more cold months than warm ones. It is now squeak season and begin October with the fourth service trip. I am in the plastic and rubber industry and it is clear that the compound they use for the rear hatch seals is bad. Otherwise, the latch itself must not be designed to put the correct load onto the seals. With this in mind, I'm going to have both the seals and latch assembly replaced. Only a few more trips and I'll initiate a lemon law filing.

Other issues I have had include cutting the rotors at 18K miles! Must be cheap steel that can't handle the heat of the brakes. Replacement of the A/C clutch, and the newest issue, a whining of the steering wheel when it is being turned.

Everything covered under warranty, but I sure hope these are bugs that are all worked out soon. I have 22K miles on an O7 Limited.

We love the van and it was a great value, but I got rid of my 01 T&C because of too many major issues and trips to repair shop.
  • mhaykinmhaykin Member Posts: 5
    I have an Entourage with 6K on it and it rattles and squeaks like crazy. Just got it back from the Lithia Dealer shop and if anything, it is worse. They said they put in some material in behind the plastic in the rear door panel. Decided I would ride in the rear area and listen. Not only does the rear door rattle and squeak, both rear side panels offer up some noise. The repair guy said he would consult with the factory. Wonder how many days til I hear back? Let you know. FYI, when I pushed on the panel with very light pressure, in each of the areas, the noise stops. Looks to me in my humble opinion like there are not enough places where the platic panels are secured and that with some time, more than a few people are likely to hear this noise.

This is one of those things that if not fixed would make me very disatisfied as the noise in unrelenting unless parked. When parked, it is a nice car?
  • bos86bos86 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I rode in the rear with back seats down and finally figured out that the noise is coming from the latch. I wrapped black electical tape around the latch, door fits tight but there is NO NOISE.
    How long ago did you put the tape on? And how bad does it get chewed up from opening and closing? I mean, how often do you need to rewrap the latch? I'll give it a try, thanks.
    I tried the tape. No luck but interestingly, when I picked up my brother at the airport and put his luggage in the well, the noise stopped. Took the luggage out and it returned. Put about 40 of books in the well behind the back seats and guess what, the noise disappeared.

I also contacted Hyundai. The dealer is supposed to have me come back in when one of their experts can take a look?

In the meantime, I have found a new use for telephone books.
  • squeaky123squeaky123 Member Posts: 1
    I have been dealing with this same issue since we purchase our van in July of 2006. I live in Cincinnati and we too see that it gets worse in colder weather than in the warmer months. I have reached my limits dealing with the local Hyundai dealership. Over a 3 month period our van was in the shop a total of 5 times. As in my of these other stories I am hearing, the noise goes away for maybe a few days at best then returns as if nothing was worked on. I spoke with Hyundai USA and they would not replace my van, the owner of the dealership hung up the phone on me because he stated I did not understand how Ohio's lemon law worked. I can tell you that if you have this issue that it will never be fixed even with them replacing parts and pieces to the door. I don't know what the issue is and neither does Hyundai but they are not willing to do what it takes to make a frustrated customer happy. Good luck if you have this problem because no one seems to know how to fix it.
    Well.... After waiting for several weeks to have my squeak "repaired" again, I left the dealer with no squeak. In about 24 hours, the noise began to return. It is now as bad as it was when I brought the car in for the second time. I will have to once again call the dealer and call Hyundai corp and complain. I am keeping records of all interactions and transactions. Washington has a lemon law and I am starting to think I will need to pursue that course of action if the racket cannot be resolved.

Seems like this is one of those deal killers for trying to establish a strong corner in the market. An otherwise nice car is intolerable due to what should be a simple problems to figure out. Sad. It would be great if I could spend 20K+ for a product and get satisfaction for atleast some time.
  • bspikebspike Member Posts: 9
    I have the same side panel and rear latch squeak problems. Don't know what I'll do with the side panels, but squirting some DW-40 into the rear latch took care of the loud squeaks! DW-40 will dry out. So, I'll go get some silicon grease and hope that will keep it from squeaking ... maybe that will help the side panel, too.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    The rattling also comes up on the Kia Sedona, really the same van, but all you need to do is spray the door latch with WD-40, all up inside the lock not keyhole, and it will be gone.
    I seem to have had some luck with the WD40 in the rear latch, but I seem to have a rattle coming from the front of van. Underneath, sort of in the passenger side axel area, I've read on the Kia forum about some subframe bushings going bad? Was wondering if any one has had a similar problem and or solution.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I doubt that if that were the case it would be just a rattle. The sub frame is a major part of the van's stability system and if the bushing were going bad it would cause real issues. Plus I have never head of the sub frame going bad on any other forums I think that was an isolated incident. There was a TSB on the AC pulley to be replaced because of a noise it would make. Kind of a wobble / rattle type of noise, you might want to check that out. Seems the pulley was not hurting anything just making noise.
    Thanks for the many responses. The noise persists and with my busy schedule I am becoming aware of the challenges/rental costs associated with a car that needs to be in the shop repeatedly for what should be a non-problem.

My belief is that some teflon should cure the problem but I am loathe to touch the thing as I do not want to impact the warranty.

FYI- WD did not last for very long and as it smells, and probably is not good for my remaining brain cells I am reluctant to opt for weekly spraying

I will make another pilgrimage to the shop. I do think I will go to another dealership though. Hard to convince myself that these guys have a clue what they are doing.

I am hoping that anyone else with this problem is contacting Hyundai.

This would be an otherwise nice car. There are many things I like about the car if there were no squeak.

In my hopes that some engineer/mechanic from Hyundai reads this stuff too, a couple of suggestions.

Do NOT ever have beige floor mats and put a reset button for the low tire panel light
    AND Try teflon for the squeak

Mike
  • scrazscraz Member Posts: 3
    Just a quick update. After 5 trips back to the dealer, they finally solved the problem. My issue was squeaking in the interior rear trim panels, NOT THE HATCH. They replaced the panel on the passenger side, and wrapped the metal clips that snap into the sheetmetal with what I think is electrical tape. Presto, problem solved. They brought an engineer from Hyundai out to inspect the vehicle. He video taped the probem areas and authorized the repair. Based on this, it appears that they are aware of the problem and working to rectify.

The dealer agreed that if this turns out to be a temporary fix, they will fix beyond the warrentee.

Now that this is fixed, my Entourage is simply fantastic. I was in a newer Honda this weekend, and found it to be inferior to the Hyundai. Interior had lots of squeaks and rattles, trim panels on dash were poor fitting and it was quite a bit louder on the road.

I
    I was wondering if any of you people with the squeaky back latch has had the problem of the latch breaking. Just today the rear latch wouldn't open. Tried the key in the lock and it wouldn't open. So, I had to try harder and the latch opened, but, the mechanism is stuck locked. Look inside and see something hanging so I poke at it and a piece of plastic and a piece of rubber falls out. So now the latch is tied off to the hooks for the third row seats ( folded into the floor). Time for inspection anyway. Keep you posted.
  • dwengier77dwengier77 Member Posts: 30
    I had a knocking noise coming from the front dash board by the passenger . This only happened when i turned the car off , and when i had the airconditioner on. So in essence everyday downe here in south florida. took it to the dealer. the found the problem to be an actuator for the ac. They ordered the part and called me a week later. I dropped the van off at the dealership, they called me four hours later that they ordered the wrong piece. I Talked to the service manager. He made sure the right piece was ordered and gave em a free oil change. New piece came in yesterday. Dealer called to make the apt. I had them assure me the right piece was ordered and had arrived. I dropped the van off today @10 am, the manager gave me a loaner for my inconvienence, nice! Around 4:30 i went back to dealer becuase i could not get anyone on the phone to find out what was going on. When i got thier my service rep told me that the van would be ready tommorrow. I talked to the service manager and asked him why i made an apt. if they were not going to work on the car. He assured me i would have the van today( he was pi**ed that the van was not ready) A half hour later i got a call to tell me the car was ready. In Short we love this van and the service dept. at my dealer has worked with me to make sure i am happy.
  • pafundipafundi Member Posts: 8
    I have had my van in to the dealer about 10 times since buying it due to a squeak in the back. First they said it was the rear hatch, then the side panels, the seats, it goes on and on, They just don't seem to be able to fix it.

It would be impossible to take it on a long trip as even a short trip can drive you crazy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

:cry:
    SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK! I have had it back about 8 times, They say the fix it and two or three days later it is squeaking again. It drives me crazy and I feel like driving it into a pole or something. I have been trying to get ahold of a manager at the dealer but I can't seem to get one to call me back.

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. My wife thinks I am nit picking about it but there is no way I could take it on a family trip. As it is now I refuse to drive or ride in it.

:mad:
    I would still not have enough time to spend dealing with the squeak. It is clear that Hyundai does not have a clue how to deal with this. The noise is far less when the rear storage area is loaded with heavy objects. I have made sure that I keep the rear loaded with books or other heavy objects. My car will go back to the dealer over the summer when I am out of town and do not need the car.

What a disapointment.....

Hopefully the company will some day figure this out and recall the cars to repair this problem.

In the meantime, about 40 lbs. of books does the trick.
    I have my Entourage back in Todd Archer Hyundai for the squeak. The repair manager told me he had never heard of one of the vans having this problem, although this is about repair number 7 for mine. :cry:

The loaner Entourage they gave me has a worse squeak than mine does. Even my wife won't drive it. :mad:

I have started my Lemon Law paperwork via the BBB to see what I can do. Love the van idea and size but frustrated with the number of attempts it is taking to fix it and the dealership in general. 30 thousand dollars down the toilet. :lemon:
    Yesterday I received a phone call from a representative of Hyundai USA in California. This man was pretty rude to me on the phone and said that Hyundai has decided that the squeak on our Entourage is acceptable and not considered a defect or a problem. He also said that Huyndai has told Todd Archer to stop all repairs for the squeak. This really upset me and I was quickly on my way to the dealer, Todd Archer, to have a talk with their general manager who did ride in the van with me and did hear the squeak and agreed that it was not acceptable, but he would have to go over Huyndai’s head to repair it, if it can be repaired. I think Hyundai USA is upset that I filed a claim with the BBB about the non returned phone calls, and repair of the vehicle. Oh, the representative from Hyundai USA also told me that “it is a van and they are expected to squeaek“. Now what kind of thought process is that? I should expect my 30 thousand dollar van to squeak everytime I drive it down the road? Pretty crappy business practice if you ask me.

I find it funny that Hyundai says they don’t know anything about squeaks in their van except normal ones but several write ups on the Entourage mention squeaks. Including write ups from motorway.com, msn auto.com, car and driver.com, and the list goes on and on.

:mad:
  • bspikebspike Member Posts: 9
    We took our van back and after a test drive the technician said he didn't hear squeaks. After spraying something on the two big rubber 'mounts', the technician said it would go away when the weather warms up and sent us home. Of course, the squeak was always there. However, he was right about the warm weather does reduce the amount of squeaky noise.

I no longer think highly of Hyundai. Wonder if there is anything that all of us can do to escalate.
    It appears that my squeak has been fixed. We took the van out again last night and drove it down our country roads and didn't have one squeak.

I had issues with the dealer and Hyundai with Hyundai saying that it was built with in spec's and the dealer's representatives telling me they hear the squeak and then telling Hyunday they didn't hear anything and finally Hyundai read my blog entries and had the dealer attempt a "good will jester" and attempt a repair.

Todd Archer Hyundai in Bellevue NE fixed it by removing the pannels, using the "squeak repair kit" glueing the plastic connectors in place which had been ratteling round putting foam from the kit under the pannels and also putting some type of foam under the pannel and over the HVAC duct which was also rubbing.

Since the repair, the air noise and road noise in the back has been greatly reduced also.

Maybe now we can take our vacation without the stress of riding in the van.

:D
  • 07entgse07entgse Member Posts: 2
    We purchased our Entourage SE in February 2007 ... this posting would be way too long to read if I wrote all of the grief we've had with this car. I'll just post the things that have been "fixed".
    - Radio has been replaced twice
    - DVD player has been replaced once
    - Drive unit for the Power Tailgate has been replaced once
    - Power sliding door (left) latch assembly has been replaced once
    - O2 sensor has been replaced once
    - Front rotors were warped, they were machined (??)

Plus, the "air bag" light on the dash board comes on intermittently while I'm driving but service has been unable to detect it.

Can anyone help me with this? I have already met with a rep. from Hyundai Motor America - I was so humiliated. I'm pretty sure I spoke with him calmly when telling him our situation and asking him what they could do for us. After a 10 minute meeting, all of a sudden, he said, "I'm losing my patience with you, ma'am". I was stunned because I had no idea what he was talking about. And then, he walked out of the conference room. He then gave me the contact info for the BBB in VA and said that was my best bet.

After reading up on VA's lemon law, I don't think my car qualifies because no part has been fixed 3 times. Is there anyone out there that can help??

Thanks for reading ....
    Keep taking it back in over and over. File with the BBB on both the dealer and Hyundai USA. The BBB will send you a packet to fill out and someone else from Hyundai will contact you.

I was called by Hyundai USA after I started blogging about my van. It was fixed in a week after their first call. The power of the internet is great. Just remember to put links to your dealer, Hyundai in your posts over and over... Use titles that say Hyundai and the dealers name, so they come up if someone searches on google for either the company or vehicle.

Those Hyundai reps can be rude and twist things around on you to make it look like it is your fault.

While our Entourage was being fixed they gave us two loaners, one had a very bad squeak in it and the other had major problems that included the doors locking and unlocking as you drive, the seatbelt ding going off over and over, internal lights on and off. Hyundai does have some quality control problems with these vans.

Good luck
  • kaufvan1kaufvan1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Entourage. The squeaking was driving me crazy. I took seats out to see if they were causing it. They were not. I lubricated all rubber parts I could find. Still no luck. Finally, I had my son ride in the back while I drove it. I had him pull on hatch handle. It stopped squeaking while he pulled on it. I was going to dismantle latch assembly to locate squeak, but thought I would try some spray lubricant first. That was five months ago and it has not sqeaked since. I used a spray on graphite lubricant. I imagine any spray lubricant would also work.
  • rob22315rob22315 Member Posts: 31
    The only thing you might be able to claim is the air bag light is a potential safety issue. They only get one shot to fix a safety issue.

Your problems are all on different systems so it doesn't sound like you qualify under the '3 tries' clause. We had 4 problems with the power steering system. The van was replaced with a new one via the BBB. :)
This discussion has been closed.