Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon - Features You'd Like

rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
When it came time for me to think about replacing my '95 GMC Sonoma KC 4x4 5speed with a Canyon/Colorado I quickly changed my mind when I heard they were going to use an I5. Now I see for '07 you can't even get a manual with the I5. What is GM thinking about?
I don't understand why they just didn't stick with the tried and true 4.3. They obviously still like the 4.3 because it is being offered in the '07 Silverado.

Comments

• Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    There is nothing wrong with the I5 as I've had mine for over 2 years now without a problem. Runs great. As far as a manual with the I5, my guess is if they had it before than the reason they don't have it now is either the increase in displacement and power is to much for it or most likely not enough interest in it to go to the hassle of messing with it. I can remember when I worked at GM one the N cars (Grand Am type) air conditioning was an option. We ran 60 cars an hour off 2 lines on 2 shifts. Thats close to 2000 cars a day and if 10 of them came without air it was luck. After 2 years air was standard and you couldn't buy one without it. I'm thinking the same here.
  • Options
    All I can say was I hope they never get rid of the stick because when I bought my new truck that was the first thing I looked for was a standard transmission with a good ole V6.

I don't think there is anthing wrong with an I5 either providing it is a diesel.
    I see even Volvo dropped their I5 in favor of 4 or 6.
    There is no mpg advantages in the I5(gas) if you compare it to a v6.
  • Options
    th3_d3v1lth3_d3v1l Member Posts: 4
    Why would they drop it? They have made no improvements on the 4.3, I just got rid of my 05 Silverado in favor of an 06 Colorado with the I5, the I5 has noticable increases in horsepower. they could give that 4.3 more power than Toyotas 4.0, which boasts 260, and nissan which I believe is 275. If they really got to the nitty gritty with that 4.3, it could be the most powerful 6 on the road. But in all reality, I like my colorado more than my old silverado.
  • Options
    fordenvyfordenvy Member Posts: 72
    I-5 are more reliable because there is less wear and tear on the engine. the pistons move up and down and not on an angle, plus they are more balanced giving less vibration
  • Options
    IF the I5 is better than the 4.3 then why is GM not unsing it in the '07 Full Size trucks? They are still sticking with the 4.3. Check it out if ya doubt my word.
    The 4.3 from GM and the 4.0 from Toyota is being outclassed by Nissans 4.0. Look at the HP and Torque specs.
  • Options
    A plant can only build so many engines a year and my guess is they are near max on the I5. Why would GM spend a few hundred million dollars to tool up a new plant to gain more I5's when there is nothing wrong with a 4.3?
  • Options
    If ya look at the torque and hp specs comparing the I5 and the 4.3 you will see that the 4.3 is a better truck engine because of more torque at a lower rpm.
    The 4.3 is in need of some serious make over but I don't think GM has the bucks to spend of updating the engine. Either that or they just too pig headed .......the later I'm more apt to believe.
  • Options
    jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    The 4.3 is a proven design. I know of many contractors that really worked their 4.3's to the tune of 250,000 to 300,000 miles without major problems. The I5, with its valve and head problems is breaking down in less than 100,00 miles. At this point, the 4.3 is a more reliable engine. Until GM fixes the problems with the I5, I would stay clear away from this engine. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Everybody knows the I5 is a bad design even GM but they are just 'Whistling Past The Grave Yard' full of dead I5's. :sick:
  • Options
    jtenpasjtenpas Member Posts: 7
    My 04 colorado made it 45,000 mi and now i need the head and valves replaced at a tune of $4000. Luckly GM is covering the costs even though my warranty expired. This problem is documented by GM. My 1995 sonoma made it 175K and all i did was change the oil every 3K and spark plugs at 90K.

Case closed.
  • Options
    1lap2go1lap2go Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at replacing my '91 GMC xcab SLE. It has 109K for miles and a bit of rust that I stay on top of keeping it looking ok. Truely been a great truck with normal stuff happening over the last 16 yrs (Starter, waterpump, radiator,mufflers)I have started looking at the new Colorado 4wd xcab but I am seeing a bunch of complaints about the I5 engine and power door locks. I am also considering the Toy Tacoma. All neighbors(5)that have them have nothing but great things to say about them. One has 160+K on it and it looks like new. My problem is the Tacoma is a fast seller and the dealer in DM is selling them as fast as they come off the transporter. I asked about lease returns and he said, he's never had one stay longer then 2 days. Do you wish you had bought the Tacoma ????? I am looking at COSTCO as where I buy it as they can bring it in from anywhere that has what I want.
  • Options
    sullylangsullylang Member Posts: 2
    A double overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder engine, or an old V-6 push rod 2 valve per cylinder engine. Sounds like GM is pushing in the same direction as all other car makers. Higher performance with less displacement. I've had my 05 Canyon crew with I5 for 2.5 years (45k). Zero problems. Smooth and strong. I traded 2002 F-150 with 5.4 to get it. It rides better, gets almost double the gas milage, and has plenty of power. The brakes lasted better too. The silverado outweighs the Canyon by 1000lbs(25%). It needs more low end torque to pull itself around. But only has a 3500lb tow rating (less then I-5 Canyon). I was recently test driving vehicles due to my inability to keep a car more then 3 years. I passed on an F-150 because it felt like a pig compared to my Canyon. This is a good truck that had an unfortunate run on some cylinder heads. Sounds like GM is acting honorably. I love my truck.
  • Options
    dkwynndkwynn Member Posts: 2
    it all depends on what trans. and rear end you put it with. and if your buying a I5 i dont think torque is that big of a issue to you.
  • Options
    jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Check out CarMax. They probably have some late model Tacomas. You'll find out what these trucks retail for and perhaps there's a location not too far from where you live. Good luck.
  • Options
    dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I'm in the market for a used small truck preferably a Chevy or GMC. I had a S-10 back in the '80's and there was nothing wrong with it. I would look for an extended cab 4 Cyl if possible and automatic, cruise, air etc. I would get the upscale model. Can those of you who have owned 1994 and up S-10's/Sonomas or early Colorados tell me which is actually more pleasant to drive? My priority is ride rather than power. I would only consider a 2 wheel drive truck. Should I get an S-10 or Colorado? Thanks for any advice..
  • Options
    dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    OK - I am looking for a midsize truck to replace a 1986 4wd shortbed Silverado in showroom condition that I'm giving my grandson. I was figuring on a 2000-2004 S-10 Extended Cab LS but the S-10 Edmunds chat group has no end of complaints. Should I look for an early Colorado? I will probably only put a couple of thousand miles a year on the truck. I have two cars -a Cadillac DeVille and a Cobalt . The truck would sit in the garage and be used when I need to haul mulch bags or something like that. Is the Colorado that much better than an S-10? The Air Force base near me has dozens of S-10's used daily and they don't seem to have any complaints but the Edmunds owners all seem to have lemons.
  • Options
    You will find that 99% of the people here and on ANY forum for ANY vehicle whether foreign or Domestic are here because they have or have had a problem. There are many hundred of thousands of Colorado's on the road but only about 100 owners here if that many. If you were to take the time to read all the messages on the Colorado I bet you won't find 50 different people posting as it is the same ones most of the time. I had a 4X4 Crewcab for over 4 years and a recall or two but the only thing I ever warranted as far as I can remember is the rear view mirror would drop in the high heat of summer. Not fall off the window but hit a bump and it would move out of focus. A pain but no big deal, a new one under warranty was all I needed.
This discussion has been closed.