Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cars? Stick shift and 100 MPH in the 1/4 mile

joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
I'd like to start a discusssion on manual transmission cars that can hit about100 MPH in the 1/4 mile.
What cars would you all suggest?
Preferably a sedan with some luxury, but maybe a coupe or convertible would be ok too. No 2 seaters though.
I'm thinking BMW 335i, Mustang GT, Altima SER, Acura TL type S, Infinity G35 and the like with a sticker price of around $30,000 to $50,000. What others are available with manual transmissions (the kind with the clutch pedal on the floor, remember)?
In the market for one, preferably new '06 or '07. AWD is not a requirement.

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    A few more I can add to your list, that are probably quick enough:

Subaru Legacy GT spec.B 6-speed
    Honda Accord 6MT
    MazdaSpeed 6

Lexus makes the IS250 with a manual but I don't think it's quick enough to meet your criteria.

-juice
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I think some of the cars listed won't cut it without modifications.

http://www.dragtimes.com/browse.php

For example, i think the TL traps of 100+ include a supercharger.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Thanks. That's a nice site for times and speeds.
    I want to buy a car with no modifications so the warranty will cover everything, so I'm looking for trap speeds on a stock car.
    Lots of fast cars nowadays.
    That Mazda 3 is great if I settle for less luxury than most of the others. I'll go take a look at one soon.
    All posts are appreciated. Keep 'em coming.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Hmm...a used 6-series coupe or convertible. An Audi S4, or better yet, an RS6 (around 40-50 used) would fit the criteria...You could also look at a used M5, but maybe you don't want a used car. If not then splurge and go for the new Audi RS4! Great Car.
    The winner appears to be a 2006 GTO. 4.8 seconds 0-60 mph. 13.3 seconds at 107 mph in the quarter. But it only has 2 doors.
    For a 4 door sedan, the winner is the 2006 Mazdaspeed 6. All wheel drive. 274 horsepower after 15.6 pounds of boost. Not bad for 2.3 liters. Max torque comes on at about 2750.
    Both have 6 speed manual transmissions.
    At 28k, the GTO is a couple thousand more than a fully loaded MS6.
    My opinion: both are bargains.
    The 2007 Acura TL type S with a manual transmission turned a 14.3 second 1/4 mile at 99.9 mph. Road & Track magazine.
    That's close enough for me.
    Don't want used. RS4 is too expensive.
  • empiredjempiredj Member Posts: 21
    Mustangs are out, so is the GTO. Only if your a neck would you be impressed by one of those going down the street and my SRT-4 is faster anyway, case closed.

I got enough parts setting in my house to make my SRT-4 run low 11's, so I don't need super fast performance, just better than average.

RS4 is $77K as tested in C&D, NO WAY!

I'm looking under $40,000, the further under $40K the better!

So I'm opting for European Delivery to have bring the price more in line with my budget plus allowing me to take my new car and go for a blast down the Autobahn.

So that leaves out any Japanese car and I wasn't in love with the Subaru Legacy GT. Its a nice car, but a STi version would be up alley and again its not available here *yet* and it would cost around $40,000 i'm sure, which is why you don't see it on our shores yet.

That leaves the woeful Audi A4 with its heavy curve weight and 15 second performance and even driving it it hardly feels fast.

Also the Benz 230 6M sedan isn't going to make the grade either.

That leaves my choices as it should be YOUR choices -

BMW 335i Sedan -

If you keep the options under the control and opt for European Delivery it comes in just over $38K and if you can find a dealer that willing to sell it to you for close to invoice you could save even more money.

Its no heavier than the Coupe and it runs high 13's at over 100mph in the 1/4.

Tuners have been tweaking the car and there WAY MORE IN IT.

I believe it could do 12's with drag radials, exhaust and a tune from AC Schizer or another BMW tuner.

Volvo T5 AWD Sedan -

Getting the 6 speed manual as standard also brings AWD as FWD turbo and manual only is available in Europe presently.

Now this car is quick, but not blazing. Most times I have heard or seen are in the high 14 second range. However if you option it right and opt for European Delivery, it around $33K. So the money you saved from not buying the BMW, can be put on some aids to make it faster and still remain under warranty for the most part.

I would recommend a Heico (Germany Volvo tuner) exhaust and a BSR Stage 2 PCM flash.

With a decent launch (no bog) low 14's should be very easy. The stock turbo is TINY. You might need some additional work to get the car to run 13's at over 100mph.

It is more than likely the safest car out of the 3 I have considered and has the best stereo system option.

Plus you don't see yourself coming and going everyday like you do with BMW's

Last on my list is the

Saab 9-3 Aero 6 speed manual -

Saab has had some reliability issues so keep that in mind. However considering how many cars are built, you might not ever have a problem with your Saab. Plenty of people have had trouble-free miles with Saabs.

I am somewhat disappointed with the output of the 2.8L twin turbo V6. I makes less power and torque than the BMW and its pretty well confirmed that the 335i is under rated and dyno's more than rated power on a regular basis. The Saab isn't that lucky, what you see is that you get.

If you like some quirki-ness in your cars, the Saab is the one to have, with the ignition in the center console for example.

I would know go for the Bose stereo option its HORRIBLE!

With European Delivery you get $2,00 allowance for your trip to Gothenburg to pick up the car. You still get discounted pricing as well.

A mildly optioned 9-3 Aero comes in around $36K with European Delivery and Naviagtion if you can believe that!

Its a mid 14 second car, I'm used to having powerful FWD cars, so this car is nothing I can't handle. A set of small slicks will control wheel spin off the line and drop the ET's like a rock.

With a BSR Stage 2 flash, some slicks and exhaust, I would say 13's are possible, but I wouldn't go around chasing 335i's with it, you'll get toasted.

My top choice is the BMW, but price is a consideration and because of that I'm not locked in on one though I'm pretty much convinced that is the car I want.

Its a tie for 2nd between the Saab and Volvo.

The Volvo odd bolt pattern makes aftermarket wheel selection harder than it needs to be. The Saab is heavy, FWD and doesn't feel as quick as it should be, but thats driving a dead stock car too. With a few dollars in upgrades it should feel and perform a whole lot better.

MY 2 cents
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    ... may be the Pontiac G8 V8 ( GT ) sometime next year...
    [ for the promised M6 version ]
    ( In case anyone still follows tis discussion )
    GM \ Pontiac is claiming 0 - 60 in "low 5s".
    Given the gearing, my ** GUESS ** is that this will mean production examples of both A6 and M6 will be mid- to high 13 second cars - at over 100.
    I could be wrong...
    - Ray
    Favoring the G8 as next sedan on my shopping list.....
    2022 X3 M40i
This discussion has been closed.