Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Navigation System

Comments

• cspillmancspillman Member Posts: 18
    A bit off topic but how many pre-sets can you have for the radio/satellite? 6,12,18?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Go into Navigation Setup, Calibration and select "set clock". You simply select the 12 or 24 hour format, then press the "plus" or "minus" button to adjust the hours, up or down. Minutes are NOT adjustable, as that's provided by GPS.

Vince. :shades:
    If you have the Nav, you get 6 presets, per screen, total of 18.

I can't answer for the other audio systems that Mazda offers.

Vince. :shades:
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    On the Bose with no NAV it's 12 FM / 6 AM.

-c92
    Good input! You prompted me to amend, since I only specified for the SIRIUS. Let me clarify. In the Nav unit in addition to 18 total presets for Sirius, there are also 12 for FM and 6 AM.

Vince.
  • samiamcharisamiamchari Member Posts: 5
    Thank you Vince. You're right as always I see! I hadn't tried messing with the calibration screen. Sounded too dangerous! Thanks for the help. Chari
  • 022540022540 Member Posts: 31
    Vice: I have a question.You mentioned 6 presets per screen.

Doo you mean I could have 18 preset stations for Sirus SAT or
    6/Sirus 6/AM and 6/FM

I only listen to SAT Radio, no AM or FM

My Ridgeline Truck came with XM Sat and you can preset 12 XM
    stations which is really nice.

Thanking you in advance for your help and advice.
    I see if I would have read further I would have learned that Sirus does have 18 presets and quite a few of AM and FM. which I donot really care about.
    All I have to do now if figure how to do it.

P.S. I followed the directions and was able to change the time on my clock. Thanks for the directions, they were very easy to follow.

Great information on this panel, reminds me of the Ridgeline Owners Club.com
    Correct. 18 presets for Sirius, 12 for FM, and 6 for AM.

All 18 presets aren't on the same screen. There are 3 screens, SR1, SR2, and SR3, that provides 6 presets per screen. You push the SAT button to get to each screen sequentially. There are no differences amongst the 3 screens. I use that setup to organize my presets. I like Rock, so SR1 I use for my Rock favs. SR2 I set for contemporary music channels and the 3rd one I set up for Dance channels.

Hope that clears up the confusion!

Vince.
  • musicman2umusicman2u Member Posts: 1
    Hey Vince..I'm new in the forum and seems like you are the man w/ the answers. I just purchased a CX7 equipped w/ the Navigation/Audio w/ 6 CD changer system. I already have XM Radio service and was just wondering how to activate it on this system? Does this system have the capability? It has the button on the top left corner, but does not seem to respond whenever I depress it? I also noticed there is no input plug for an MP3 or External XM radio. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Ron, that's the real question, isn't it?

Out of the box, Mazda designed their OEM NAV to operate with a specially designed Sirius receiver. If you purchase the NAV and purchase SAT, Mazda only offer SIRIUS, either as a factory option or dealer-installed. Fully integrated, Sirius not displays channel info on the main NAV display, but portions of XM info are also displayed on the upper deck dashboard. Also, the steering column buttons switch to the SIRIUS SAT, control volumn and control the presets.

I don't know if XM tuner boxes can be integrated into the NAV inputs. If so, will pushing the SAT button route XM channel info to the NAV display and the dashboard displays? Will steering column controls work with XM? Don't know...that'd be an interesting experiment.

You can always opt for the FM modulator type that XM offers. But you won't be able to use the SAT buttons, steering column controls, nor the NAV/Dashboard displays. Plus you get the challenge of finding an empty FM frequency which can be difficult in urban areas.

As for MP3, you're right...no options. That's a serious shortcoming in Mazda design. Lot's of people on this forum gripe about it.

Hope this info helps!

Vince.
  • gerald325igerald325i Member Posts: 2
    Hi, because my new job will pay to move my CX-7 to Italy, I was wondering if anyone knows what I would have to do to update the maps so that my navigation system can work there.
    I know Italy does sell the CX-7 there (at over #36,000 Euro). But can a delership there make an update? Or can I buy the CDs or DVDs and make the update myself?

Thanks! :shades:
  • niksternikster Member Posts: 1
    You should have recieved a Mazda CX-7 owners guide along with your car. The manual has instruictions on the navigation system right at the very end. It's a silly place to put the topic, but I guess they did it to reduce cost while printing the manuals.
  • gerald325igerald325i Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I do not own a CX-7, I am just planning on purchasing it and doing my research. Although after reading about the jerk it makes (and feeling it during a test drive) when the turbo kicks in -even if normal for a turbo- and the lack of bluetooth is discouraging me.

So, after you read the procedures, does it seem simple and inexpensive?

Thanks!

Gerald
  • apngburkapngburk Member Posts: 3
    Unknown to most navi owners, the navigation unit for the CX-7 does have support for auxiliary input. For some reason mazda chose not to enable this functionality or to provide the input jack. Following the thread found at the following link I was able to enable the media button (to activate aux1) and to install a 3.5mm stereo jack in my cx-7 with navigation. The total cost was $35.

How to install aux-input
    Is that WITH Sirius installed, as well?

Vince.
  • apngburkapngburk Member Posts: 3
    Good question. I'm not sure that it would work with Sirius installed,
    I'd need a picture of the back of the headunit with sirius plugged in.
    When i pulled out my deck i saw two ports available. I used the
    16pin port for installing the aux adapter. I'm not sure what the
    other port is for. I can saw however that the SAT button is still
    non-functional in my car but when i press the media button it
    switches to aux1

CD and FM/AM are also still functional
    I know that Mazda's iPod adapter will work with the Nav head unit, but if you have Sirius, you're out of luck. I don't know if non-oem adapters will have the same problem.

If other forum members have any experience here, would love to hear from ya!

Vince.
  • garemzgaremz Member Posts: 3
    I was at the Mazda Dealership today Jan 28/08

The Parts guy told me there will be an update for the Navigation in May of 08

Cheers
    Gary
    That is indeed, good news - we'll just have to wait n' see if the update actually shows up! :blush:
  • mobileexpmobileexp Member Posts: 2
    For the bluetooth, look into Circuit City. They advertise they will install, other wise you will have to go to a local dealer. For that look in the phone book. Sometimes there is an installation dvd with the equipment and they list places you can go to. Try giving the company a call and se what they can do for you.
  • michele_2005michele_2005 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I had some problems with my cx7 and over a few months the service dept did everything to repair it. Thankfully all is well but my navigation system is not working well. I think it may have been set to factory default and which does not help me in Canada.

Did anyone get a navigation cd when you bought your cx7? Just curious? Any help would be appreciated!
    Michele
    I got a DVD with my 2008 cx-7

mine was also set to factory all I did was put it back to Canada and picked my city

Cheers
    Gary
  • jorglinshjorglinsh Member Posts: 2
    Hello

I have brought my Mazda CX-7 from USA to Europe
    My mazda is with navigation
    Unfortunatelly, when i Scan for radio stations, it will store and find only the stations that have odd waves, like 100.1 or 100.3 or 94.3 or 105.3
    Here in Europe we have radio station on all waves both odd and even

Is there a way how i can change the settings for the radio so i can catch also radio stations that end with .2 , .4, .6, .8, .0 ??????

Thank you in advance
    Edgars
  • flendermflenderm Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    did you find a solution for the radio frequency. I have the same problem. I took my CX-7 over to germany. Any help is welcome.
    Thanks!
    flenderm
  • jorglinshjorglinsh Member Posts: 2
    Hello

I have not had a time yet to deal with this problem, but I think it is solvable if you go to the Navigation producers service house. I think they can re-program the unit

BR
    Edgars
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    My new CX-9 came with the Rev D. DVD label reads Mazda Part No. GP9A 66 DZ0 D (K4238). Made and ISO image and burned just fine to a double-layer DVD. CX-7 and Speed 6 use same system, guaranteed.

I can post to an FTP site, but not sure Mazda or Denso would appreciate that that. Drop me an email. howardru4u@yahoo.com
    Can you take a snapshot of the Navigation interface I want to see if the system is the same.

Cheers
  • flendermflenderm Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

do you have an idea who the producer of the navigation system is?

Thanks

flenderm
  • allendballendb Member Posts: 8
    I also would like to know the manufacturer of the navigation system. This is the 4th GPS unit I've worked with and is by far the the poorest designed user interface. I'd like to know if there is any possibility of fixing the shortcomings.

If we're sitting in our driveway and set a destination it says fine, drive 5, 10, 15 miles to where the selected course starts and guidance will begin. SAY WHAT???????

And after I'm on course and drive down another major road directly towards the destination it KEEPS saying to drive back many miles to where I left the selected course to get back on it. Only after maybe 20 miles or more it does a course recalculation. Way, way too long.

There is the setting of HOME. Let me see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this is a GPS unit is it not? Fine then set HOME to where the cars currently sits. Reasonable request. After a month I finally gave up trying to set HOME in this manner. Did I miss something or was my expectation too reasonable?

Also another highly irritating thing is if someone accidentally (or on purpose) touches the screen. It jumps to some conclusion that this must be a POI. NOT!!!! Please turn off this feature.

Don't get me wrong, this is my 6th Mazda including the pocket rocket 93 RX-7 R. It doesn't get much better than 155 MPH with only the sound of the wind.

But the user interface on this GPS unit leaves a lot to be desired.

I am a little concerned about all the problems I read about, tires, noise, engine and stuff.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I highly recommend reading the Navigation section in the owner's manual. Several of your issues are addressed in there.
    Actually I did get the manual back out last night and went thru it again. I finally saw how a Memory Point is created and then the user has to change the definition to Home. But I had already saw that here in the forum when I went thru the 8 pages.

Then I found something about POI off. The next day I navigated (the screen, not the car) to the POI screen and finally saw it provide POI off. But it led me to believe that it was turning off a/that selected type of POI, not that stupid feature where if the screen is accidentally touched it jumps to the conclusion that you want to enter a POI.

And now somehow I've made it worse. In the lower right corner of the screen there are now two permanent boxes, POI and Mem Pt. I don't know what I did but I can't get rid of them.

So how do I get rid of the POI and Mem Pt boxes?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    When you accidentally hit the screen and don't want to save it as a memory point, just hit the RTN button and it will go back to your actual location.

I agree, the interface is pretty raw, but if you learn the commands and set a few key memory points, it's certainly workable.
    Anyone know how I can get rid of the two black boxes in the lower right part of the screen? They say POI and Memory PT.
    Mazda Customer Service gave me the name of Denso Corp as who built the nav system. I confirmed the nav shortcomings leaving my house and navigating back to it. The system in the 2003 Mini Cooper (yes I ordered a nav system with it), the TomTom with my Tahoe and the old, old laptop with GPS all start and end at the street at the end of my driveway. The Denso unit starts and ends its navigation miles away. Haven't the faintest clue to this pointless limitation. It makes me wonder what will happen while navigating to future destinations if it is not on a main(?) road.

Googled Denso hoping there may be a source for more insight to this box to no avail. And the Mazda people only know (barely) whats in the manual. Like the two black boxes that were not there when I got the car a month ago now won't go away.

If I had to do over again and read this forum before getting the CX I would have did what was suggested. Get all the desired options EXECEPT the nav unit and add an aftermarket unit.
    It is now Sept. 12, 2008 and they still donot have an update for the Navigation System in the CX-7.
    I have a TomTom One in my 2006 RTL/SR Honda Ridgeline and it works great, is easy to use. I paid $299.00 for it last Dec.

This piece of junk that was included in the $4,000 package is a joke. What give?

Why has Mazda not found a replacement GPS vendor?
    I share your pain, but have to disagree with you about updates. Mazda has come out with 3 updates since first introduced in June 2006. They're on version D now. And yes, I agree, the Mazda GPS is quite primitive, when compared with other GPSs. For those contemplating the CX-7/9, the tech package includes other features besides the GPS, so it's all or nothing. On the plus side, I have nothing but kudos for the 9 speaker Bose sound system. It's awesome, so for me, that was the clincher. 20/20 hindsight being what it is, I suppose I'd have spent a bit more money and gone with the Acura RDX or Infiniti FX/EX series. But the Mazda is, what it is. I LOVE the styling and handling characteristics! I've 55K miles on mine now and a solid performer. Take care, Zoom Zoom! Vince.
    Thanks for the upbeat reply. We've only had ours a month and if I had to do over again I'd still buy the CX-7. Its just that the nav system is ssoooo bad. Gonna change the wheels tho. Got the Black Cherry Mica and need some wheels to match. Thanks again.
    You're welcome! If you're interested in wheels, check out my carspace album.

Catch ya later! Vince.
  • gino9gino9 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the nav system in the cx7 09 has text to speech meaning it will say the street names? I have an 06 Infiniti and it has it and my son has a Tom Tom which talks the street names.
    Also with the CD's, nothing comes up on the screen relative to the artist or songs?
    They are all purchased or store bought CD's and I tried them out on the computer and the titles come up.
    Any help
    I have had the CX-7 since Oct. 06. The navigation system has been a real disappointment. They finally came out with a new version about two months ago, but want over $300.00. I have a TomTom One which I will use if necessary.

The CD player is a different story. It works great, but not all CD's will show what is playing at the time. I put on a new Celine Dion this week and it tracks and shows what is playing. Also put on IL Divo, CD and it shows what it playing .
    When I play the Sirus Radio, it always shows who and what, etc. is playing.

I have not looked at the 09's yet but I donot see much difference.

This does not answer the question completely, but at least you know what I am experiencing. Good Luck!!!!!!!!
  • dbfarrisdbfarris Member Posts: 2
    Two days after I got this vehicle - last September - my husband programmed the location where we were as the HOME location (not a Memory Point - but the MAIN HOME location that is visible form the Address screen. That address is about 45 miles from home. I want to reprogram it and I cannot figure our how. Does anyone know?
  • dbfarrisdbfarris Member Posts: 2
    Two days after I got this vehicle - last September - my husband programmed the location where we were as the HOME location (not a Memory Point - but the MAIN HOME location that is visible form the Address screen. That address is about 45 miles from home. I want to reprogram it and I cannot figure our how. Does anyone know?
    Enter in the real address of the correct address as a destination.

Set this address as a MEMORY POINT

Go into Address Book, Select Memory Point/Home

On the top of the screen, where you see Memory Point, touch that Icon...(not obvious) and the option will change between Home, present destination or memory point (cycle through I think). You'll want to stop pressing when it says HOME.

This is also where you can set 6 Preset Destinations that allow you to navigate to even when you are driving over 5MPH

I had this same problem and the NAV system interface is a POS.

Best of luck
    H
    I would never purchase a Nav system from Madza again,.. Tom Tom is much better.
    I live a street that is 20 years old and the Nav has my location 4 blocks away.
    The Tom Tom my son has blows the Nav in the Madza away.
    Live and learn.
    Definately agree, but have been living with the same POS in my CX-9 for a year now and am an expert on my wifes new CX-7.

You can manually adjust the location, which will better help the system get you home again. Look in the NAV manual.
    What version of the NAV disc do you have? Something older than Rev D or Rev E wich is the latest? I have both available.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    I just found out that Mazda is selling DVDs online for $199. Its got lots of stuff about the coverage areas too.

The website is www.mazdanavigation.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The built in systems are nice but the update DVDs must be as big a profit center for the manufacturers as the initial systems are.

Just today I see these deals on portable systems:

Magellan RoadMate 1200 3.5" GPS on clearance for $29.93 at some Office Depot stores.

Recertified GARMIN nüvi 660 4.3" at Newegg for $139.99.

TomTom GO 730T 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic Receiver $199.99 shipped at Amazon G/B
    I have to check to see what version I have
    I have 2009 vechicle so I assume it has the updated version
    If not I think I will be visiting Madza