Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Gas Mileage

ovrwrkd72ovrwrkd72 Member Posts: 2
Does anyone have information on how I can increase my MPG on my 04 EB Expedition? It has the 5.4 and I'm not looking for noise or power, just improved mileage overall. Thanks.

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Use cruise control when ever possible, this is usually good for 10 to 15%.

Keep the speed under 65 mph. 55 is best.

Imagine the energy it takes to push that big brick through the air?

Mark.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    I just took my 5.4 stock '99 Expy on a 1200 mile trip. I got 19.5 mpg on the two 400 mile highway legs by setting the cruise control at 78, disengaging it going up hills, babying the engine getting up to speed, and avoiding downshifts. City mileage dropped down to 14 in the middle of our trip, which is better than the 11 mpg my wife usually gets.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    It's odd, my wife always gets slightly better mileage than I do, yet I'm always complaining at how she floors the throttle. Maybe it's just a different mix of driving and traffic patterns where we typically drive.
  • rhelmbrightrhelmbright Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at buying a performance chip for my 98 expy. This not only increases performance and HP, but can also give you better gas mileage. Check e-Bay and other sites for good deals. You may drop up to $300-400, but probably well worth the the money.
    Also, about every 3rd tank, you should fill your tank up with a high grade of gas to keep your lines clean. This in return will keep your Expy performing well, and still getting the best possible gas mileage ;)
    Do NOT use higher octane gas in your Expedition. This engine was designed for 87 and the higher octane gas my not burn completely as it is harder to ignite which could cause build up in your engine.

DO NOT use "generic" gas. Visit Top Tier Gas.

Generic gas does not have sufficient "detergent" to keep your engine clean.

Mark.
  • akiestlerakiestler Member Posts: 1
    03 expedition rear door locks will not unlock or lock with remote or door switch. both sides can anyone help?
  • lorencehlorenceh Member Posts: 9
    the exact same problem was happening to my parents expy(i'm only 13). I took out the door locks and put in new custom ones just to see what it did. It worked.dont know how :confuse: , but it worked.
  • freewill07freewill07 Member Posts: 1
    This car eats up so much gas. I'm switching to a Civic. :mad:

--------------------------
    www.mvarea.com
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I have owned many Ford's in the past and look forward to keep this up in the future, but I have had one problem with all my Ford's : Gas Mileage. I currently own an '06 Ford Expedition with 40K miles on it. I filled it up yesterday for 81 dollars and today half the tank is gone. The power also seems to be lagging, I remember a couple months ago flying up my driveway, but now it's gives a big exhaust note an get's up. Anyway I am averging 11.2 MPG with my Expedition, my Tundra has way more power and I average 16.6 MPG with that. Is it just me or does anybody else have this problem.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    I can safely say I am not getting 11 MPG. I am averaging 15 -16 in mostly city driving. Note that I am no eager beaver on the gas pedal, and I also have a K&N air filter. I don't honeslty know if that has made the difference, but perhaps it has. My Expy is an 04 Eddie Bauer, 2WD.

I have heard that taking it easy with starts, keeping the RPMs below 2,000, and not being the first person TO the stop light helps (i.e., start slow...coast a bit...end up in the same spot as the person who floored it and whizzed past you). I do find I drive more slowly in the Expy than I did with my Passat wagon. And that's a good thing.

Good luck.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    and today half the tank is gone

How many miles did you drive in that time?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I drove from Acton to Apple Valley (maybe 50 miles), my Tundra sucks about a quarter tank! there's a problem, I can tell.
    I drove from Acton to Apple Valley (maybe 50 miles)

That's 100 miles round trip? Another 30 or 40 miles and that would account for the quarter tank. Otherwise, that's some serious shortfall!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • murphy79clovermurphy79clover Member Posts: 1
    hello...i have a 03 expedition eddie bauer and i get 11 or so miles to the gallon around town and about 15 or 16 on the hwy...it is horrible gas mileage...my truck is hesitating and seems to be "dragging" at times...i thought it was only me but i guess this is the norm for these trucks..
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    Well, did you buy the Expedition for its gas mileage or it's hauling capabilities ;)

Seriously, when I bought my 04, I knew the gas mileage would suck, but I wanted room to make the family comfortable on a trip, and I wanted the space to be able to haul a sheet of plywood or a sheet of drywall without having to trim it to fit my old wagon.

I guess I am a little better at nursing the mileage out of my SUV than most as I fet 14 - 15 MPO in the city and can get up to 20 MPG on the highway on long trip.

One things I did was follow the advice of other posters here: no jack rabbit starts...don't rush to get to the next stop light...keep the RPMs below 2000. I found that doing all of that helped keep me above 14 MPG. I also have a K&N air filter, and I hear those help too, but having never driven the SUV without the filter in place, I can't say (it was there when I bought it).

Anyway, good luck on improving your mileage. I wouldn't say what is happening to you is the norm. Maybe the truck needs to be serviced? If you're driving habits are already good, perhaps you're not crazy and something IS wrong. Take care.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    We rented a 2007 Expy EL in Casper, WY for a trip up to Yellowstone. Had 8 people and luggage, drove 75 MPH up there until hit the mountains. Drove t/f the park 2 days, including the slow mountenous driving behind slower drivers who did not know why the pull out lanes were there. Overall, 1000 miles in 4 days, average for the entire trip was 18 MPG. I was amazed, as I expected no more than 11 or so. They were not kidding when they said the mileage had improved with the 2007 model!
  • neicy1neicy1 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I guess it's just me but I keep my speed at 60 or no more than 65mph with the cruise control on and I manage to get between 16 and 18 mpg on the highway. I had an Airraid system installed in my 99 exp and it improved my mileage greatly. Also gives me more horsepower if needed.It was well worth the 300.00 we spent for the system. And yes don't use cheap gas either.This helps alot with keeping the engine clean. Also don't forget your tire pressure either. Always keep an equal amount in all tires. Again this helps too!
  • afishhunter2afishhunter2 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of getting a 2005 Eddie B Expedition, with the 6.0 Liter diesel. What kind of mileage can I expect to get city.highway? Will it be comparable to what I get with the F-350 Dually long bed Crewcab with the 7.3 Liter? Both are 4x4 with automatic transmission.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    Dude, no Ford Expedition has a diesel.

Do you mean Excursion? maybe up to 15 mpg.

Mark
  • markm828markm828 Member Posts: 3
    i just got my 2006 expy (converting from a t'ho) and was surprised that i get at best 14-15 highway on this truck. my tahoe would get up to 18 on long trips. anyway, in looking to improve my mpg's...i came across something in an amsoil ad

http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/8pt2_morempg.aspx

so will try this and let you know how i make out...not sure i'll do amsoil but most likely some form of full synthetic.
  • fordexpofordexpo Member Posts: 11
    I wonder why people buy these Expeditions,Tundras,Tahoes etc and then complain about gas mileage with these 6000 pound bricks. I just purchased a 2004 Expedition EB 4X4 and I guess with my somewhat lead foot get about 13 or 14 MPG city? Hell I did not think it would get that. Also got a 2006 Honda Civic EX that gets around 35 or 36 MPG. Hey, maybe Honda civic will get a towing package for 8000 pounds or carry eight people with lugage? If you are so interested in MPG maybe you should look at a small Toyota or Honda.
    If you are so interested in MPG ...

Coincidentally, that IS the topic of discussion here and we had hoped people would be interested. :shades:

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I wonder why people buy these Expeditions,Tundras,Tahoes etc and then complain about gas mileage with these 6000 pound bricks.

We buy them because we need (or think we do) a vehicle this size. We complain about the FE because we would like the manufacturer to concentrate on improving the FE. I don't complain because my Expedition gets 14 mpg. I expected that. What I do complain about is that they don't do something about it. I'm not talking about major gains. But the difference in 14 mpg and 17 mpg is pretty significant.

I would have went for a diesel option, even at the steep premium if it had been available. Would have loved a hybrid option like in the t'ho.

For me, I complained BEFORE I purchased. That does not keep me from complaining after too.

Chevy has a good idea with the hybrid but messed it up putting it out as a $50 vehicle. I believe if the mgfr's come out with a large SUV under $40K that gets 20 mpg they will sell well

Besides that, I am interested in FE so I also drive my hybrid as much as possible.
    The Expedition has such a mushy ride that I have to slow down for curves and then speed up when exiting. I believe that hurts my FE considerably. If they would make the thing handle better I could drive more steady and possibly help some
    When I drive my Expedition like I drive my hybrid I can get 18+ on driving that is mostly highway. Driving over 65 mph kills FE. Driving in town kills FE, even with slow starts starting 6000 pounds from a dead stop takes a lot of gas
  • eagle1990eagle1990 Member Posts: 1
    Ive got an 05 4x4 Expd w/ 46k miles - Usually get 18+ highway & 14+ city mpg. Recently dropped a lot (to 14 and 12). Tried a K&N air filter, injector cleaner, higher octaine gas - to no avail. Disconnected the battery (to reset the computer chip is what i was thinking) and my mileage went back up to 18-20 highway. I am very happy.
    That's good to know. Thank you!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • harborharleyharborharley Member Posts: 8
    You probably need new shocks/ better tires. The Expedition is not a sports car. I have 97,000 miles on my 99 and it's a great vehicle. I did replace the shocks and I am on a new set of tires. I get about 18 mpg on the hiway under the best of conditions. Driving under 65, not doing fast starts and conservative driving helps millage. According to the Newtons law F=MA, going faster is not going to help gas millage. Increasing Mass or Force or both is going to take more energy. You can't possible get better millage going faster everything else being the same!

Has anyone tried a new muffler system such as Magnaforce to reduce back flow??
    You can't possible get better millage going faster everything else being the same!

I get exactly 0 miles to the gallon when I am idling at full stop. Increasing my speed does, in fact, improve my gas mileage. ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • buffalojoebuffalojoe Member Posts: 10
    I have a 3500 lb. RV trailer that I'm planning to tow with my '99 Exp and it has the 5.4L. I just bought it so I could have the comfortable car for such a trip and I don't have a feel yet for the mileage. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what mileage I could expect when towing? Thanks!
    How do you increase speed when at full stop at idle?
    I have the 4.6 L engine in my 99'. I towed a small motorcycle trailer with my Harley on it on a camping trip recently. I hardly noticed any drop in mileage. How ever, it has low weight and wind load. A 3,500 lb load is going to cut down mileage and I would guess about 3 mpg depending on how you drive. I would certainly keep at 55 or lower. Getting that rig moving is going to eat gas, so try and gradually build up speed and coast to stops if possible. Use brake as little as possible and allow plenty of space for stops and no sudden sharp moves. Make sure your tires are all up to proper pressure. Check your hitch and safety chains, make sure all your lights are functioning.
    How do you increase speed when at full stop at idle?

Normally, I put the car in gear and press the gas pedal. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I've been pulling the same trailer with my '86 F250 diesel and that's how I do it there. It's nice to know that the technique for pulling trailers is universal! Thanks for the help. :shades:
    Very Good! have a nice day!
    Good luck with the trailer and MPG. You will find out soon! Always be careful towing. I was in a near accident with a friend years ago. He nor I had done much trailer towing. He was driving, forgot about the camper popup and made a sharp move to pass. The trailer broke off, flipped upside down but we were Ok. The trailer was a total loss.
    I have a '99 XLT with the 5.4L engine. What do you think of passenger tires ('P') versus light truck ('LT') tires? I bought this used and it came with a set of Goodyear Wrangler P tires. Would the LT's give better MPG since they're stiffer?

Also, what about putting in Bosch Platinum 4 plugs? Would that help? I'm trying to do all of the gentle driving I can but I'm also looking to improve whatever mechanical parts I can too. Thanks! :)
    I put General Grabber HTS tires on mine from Tire Rack. They are just fine and more of a street tire. If you don't off road and street drive, don't get the Wranglers. Mine wore out because of wear pattern and still had good tread. Balancing did not fix the problem but the new tires took care of it!

Plugs. Go with STOCK is my advise. I did the plugs on my 4.6 at 90,000 miles. The gap was real big! It took me about 6 hours to do, a [non-permissible content removed] of a job especially on right rear plug. I replaced wires at the same time. The dealer charges over $600 for a plug job. You will see why! :) If you go with another plug type other than stock and they don't work out right, you will be real pissed at having to do the replacement again, believe me! Make sure you have a good set of sockets, ratchets, variety of extensions, angle connections to get to those plugs. This is a job for one with experience at this. Otherwise go to your dealer and plop your $$ down and come back and drive away happy!!!
    Yeah, I had a look under the hood and I groaned when I saw what was there. Did the replacement of the plugs help your mileage? I'm still trying to figure out if I want to try it or take the smart way out.

As far as tires, I hate Goodyears in general and am glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks! :shades:
    The manual says to replace plugs at 100,000 miles. When I measured the old plugs the gap was almost 1/8", pretty big and plugs were worn to some degree. I would say the engine runs better, smother with the new plugs, idles just great. You can do the plug job but take your time. If plugs have never been replaced and you are at the 100K mark do it. Also you may damage wires so consider replacing them at the same time. The plug wire boots are quite long and were difficult to remove without damaging them. If not up to the job, let the dealer do it. I did the job over a two day period to ease my back from bending over those fenders!

The Generals HTS seem to be quiet, smooth riding and handle well. I do mostly street, hi-way driving. Check the Tire Rack site for reviews on them. These tires were so new when I got them, my garage smelled like fresh rubber for 2 months! I think i paid $550 for 4 balanced and installed at Tire Rack here in South Bend, IN.

Let me know how you did on the plugs.
    I finished the plugs over the weekend and it took me a total of 7 hours (2 hours one night after work and 5 more in a straight shot on Saturday). I don't have the angled socket extenders so I was splayed out over the engine with the ones nearest the firewall. What a pain. The interesting part is three of them had corrosion on the higher part of the threads and the nut. I'd never seen that before on any of my vehicles. I have the 5.4L with coils but none of the rubber looked damaged enough to leak. I don't see any white smoke so the head gasket must be okay. It's a bit weird, though.

The plugs looked as if they were wearing normally. There wasn't any fouling or anything that appeared out of the ordinary. We'll see if this helps the mpg.
    Ok on doing it yourself. I may have taken 5 hours total, I forget now. How was the plug on the passenger side rear? There have been some problems with the threads on the head on some 4.6 engines. This plug has actually blown out of the head in some cases. I did squirt some WD40 in the plug holes before I tried to remove them. I think I let it sit over night and soak in. Anyway good deal, you saved some money doing it.

As I mentioned with 90K miles on mine the plug gaps were way out of spec, much opened. I have a 99 Expedition and it's almost show room condition! I get around 17 to 18 mpg on the hiway conservative driving.
  • exbdishinexbdishin Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Expy EL 5.4l 2wd. I just filled her up and calculated that she's only doing 11mpg average (fairly good mix of city/hwy). I reckon it's low because of lots of idling. Does anyone know how much fuel is burnt per minute idling with the A/C running on coldest setting? Does a/c fan speed affect it, or also having rear A/c on?

Tia
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    I have had three 5.4's, all with 3.73 rear gears. Always ran around 14-15mpg. One of my current Exeditions has 130k on the clock and the mileage had dropped to around 12mpg. I did the plugs and Sea Foamed it, and it is now around 15 again. I haven't run a lot of tanks through it yet, but my sense is it may even be higher. I never found idling or AC use did much to it.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    My 07 Expe standard length EB 4x4 gets around 14 mixed and 17 hwy. It will get down into the 11s in the winter and when I idle a lot. I'd guess a v8 with a/c on will burn close to 1 gallon per hour with a/c on. Fan speed should matter to much. The a/c compressor is the biggest drag on the engine. Idling kills gas mileage for sure.
  • snowbesnowbe Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2wd 2008 Expedition and the stick FE is 12 city and 18 hwy. That is the same for 4wd. In 2010 the 2wd Expedition got bumped up 14 city and 20 hwy. I can't see there has been any changes from 208 to 2010. Can anyone explain why the 2008 2wd gets the same mileage as the 4wd where in later years the 2wd gets better mileage?