Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Suspension and Steering

snowxplorersnowxplorer Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone. Last night, I changed my front brakes and rotors (probably about the 7th or 8th time in my life that I have changed them, so I'm not a complete rookie).

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer sport. Everything seemed fine, except last night, when I took it for a spin around the block, I noticed that whenever I turned, I felt a pretty good vibration/shaking on the front of my truck.

I took the wheels off again, made sure everything seemed tight, put them back on, and went for another ride. Same thing happened.

This morning, on the way to work, whenever I hit a slight bump in the thruway (and I mean slight), my truck started shaking violently. As soon as I slowed it down to about 25-30 mph, the vibration went away. I was able to get the truck back up to 55 mph and the truck didn't shake again...........until I hit another bump.

Whats going on?

Please help!

Comments

• snowxplorersnowxplorer Member Posts: 3
    It ended up being air that got into the power steering system that was the problem. While changing the brakes, I turned the steering wheel without completely starting the truck. I thought that might explain the vibrations when turning, but was surprised that it would that cause the vibrations when hitting a bump on the thruway.

But after turning the steering wheel from left to right about 40 times with the truck running, the problem disappeared.
  • b_redmondb_redmond Member Posts: 1
    Yep that was the same prob i had except I had a leak in the power steering line ...and thats how the air got in for me...but i got the air out ...and walllaaaa no vibration...thanks for the post
  • mfinefrockmfinefrock Member Posts: 4
    I've noticed the rear of my 97 Explorer leaning to the drivers side and when I've looked at other older Explorers on the road (and parked)I've seen some lean to the drivers side also. Some more than others Can anyone tell me what is going on here and what I need to fix
  • gsk20gsk20 Member Posts: 1
    The front passenger side suspension on my 99 EB Ford Explorer began to "squeak" over every bump. Going slowly does not prevent this. Other than the noise, the suspension is working fine. Any ideas as to what may be causing this embarrassing squeak?
  • dock65dock65 Member Posts: 1
    It possibly could be your leaf springs. I had a 87 Chevy blazer which did the same thing and i ended up putting in new leaf springs. I also recently purchased a 97 Ford Explorer XLT and i've noticed the same lean again and i'm presently performing a little research before i determine if thats exactly the problem.
  • tcexplorertcexplorer Member Posts: 1
    I noticed that the front end of my 99 Explorer is tilted down on the passenger side....there is no problem with the shocks nor any problem detected with the steering and suspension when driving...but when facing the truck the passenger side is tilted down and makes the truck look totally not even...does anyone have any idea what might have happened with the suspension...what can cause this to happen??
  • rduvalrduval Member Posts: 1
    i have a 04 explorer with auto 4x4 ,i've had it for two years and have put 6 wheel bearings on the front left side.the 4x4 hi light flashes and the abs light stays on.the ford garage says the wheel bearing is bad, but there is no noise or any other signs of bad bearing.what is causing this problem, its getting expensive.
  • bstednickbstednick Member Posts: 3
    Try replacing the ABS sensor on the rear differential... i hear ya on them bearings got my left and right done a few thousand ago but no problem since. if you're close to Kansas City I tell you where to go...
  • 04explore04explore Member Posts: 1
    each wheel bearing assembly has an electrical connector for a switch that reads an ABS sensor wheel in the assembly. if that connector is not plugged in or if the switch is improperly installed in the bearing/hub assembly you will have problems. in order to see the switch mounting you have to remove the caliper and brake disc, it is behind disc.
  • jtmansurjtmansur Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought a 2006 Explorer w/47K miles. My understanding was the suspension was improved for 2006 but as we've drivin it we could feel every bump. The dealership said it was probably because it had 'trail' tires that made the ride so stiff. we replaced with 'city' tires. still very bumpy ride. could it improve with a change of shocks or struts? not sure what's on it right now. i suspect whatever came with the Explorer originally. Could there be other things that make the ride so rough. My husband has some nerve damage and riding in the Explorer is painful for him.

Would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and what our options might be.
  • jtsc1230jtsc1230 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 ford explorer 4x4 xlt 4.0 and i just recently had a new alignment put on it new wheel barring on one side new ball joints and it still wore down the inside of the tire like the outside is new and the inside is almost gone and when you let go of the wheel it throws you off the right side of the road... does anyone know what the problem is thank you
  • antmarinantmarin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 ford explorer xlt. 2wd. I recently installed new brakes and rotors installed. The minute I drove off , I turned the wheel and started shaking bad. It drives ok when you are driving but as soon as I hit a bump it started shaking pretty badly, as I slowed down to about 25 mph. It stopped. But when slowly turning it shakes again. New brakes, new rotors, new tires, new alignment, and still shaking...
  • antmarinantmarin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 ford explorer xlt. 2wd. I recently installed new brakes and rotors installed. The minute I drove off , I turned the wheel and started shaking bad. It drives ok when you are driving but as soon as I hit a bump it started shaking pretty badly, as I slowed down to about 25 mph. It stopped. But when slowly turning it shakes again. New brakes, new rotors, new tires, new alignment, and still shaking... Does anybody have any idea what's going on? I would really apreciate any suggestions, thank you..
  • ebsavelleebsavelle Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    My previous 2001 Explorer Sport was able to accept some factory parts to make the standard Rear End become a Limited Slip Rear. Now that I am buying a 2003 version, can I do the same? I don't believe there was ever an actual option, but my local Ford Dealer did the mod and it's been awesome. Is the Rear the same?
  • ericlarkinericlarkin Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 2006 explorer and am experiencing the same issues. I thought I just needed the alignment done & rotate/balance the tires. I still have a shakey vehicle if I am going over 60....what else could it be? the car fax shows only 1 previous owner & no accidents....

I will be upset if I buy 4 new tires and still have this issue...
  • td52td52 Member Posts: 3
    wonder if any one else has this problem allso? found out the cab bushings between the frame and cab are decentgrating after buying all new locks and latches for the rear of truck .
  • td52td52 Member Posts: 3
    its probabley out of round tires
  • jtreadjtread Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove the lower bolt on the steering column that connects the rack and pinion to the column any suggestions would be awesome, the vehicle is a 2004 ford explorer 4.0l SOHC.