Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford News

Comments

• Options
    bigo08bigo08 Member Posts: 102
    What sickens me are the Americans wanting a part of our nations history to fail.

I totally agree with you
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Agree. North America--Canada and U.S.A.--has lost so many manufacturing areas--television, photography, audio etc.etc.

Some people and I know some personally don't seem to get it. If we don't produce manufactured goods our standard of living will be reduced dramatically. This is especially true for the auto industry. Ford, GM and to a lesser extent Chrysler are North American. They deserve a good look. Their products are far better tnan in the past and their reliability is on the way up. Toyota and Honda are not producing the quality product they did ten years ago. However, perception is hard to overcome.

Bruce
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
  • Options
    Really sick. I went to buy some gym socks at K-Mart a few weeks ago. The manufacturer's platic bags had printed in large white letters on a blue background "Made in USA." However, many of those bags now carry a paper label stuck over the "Made in USA" phrase "Made in Pakistan" or "Made in Mexico." It made me want to vomit. I bought one of the bags that still read "Made in USA." Those socks were probably made before the greedy losers sent the plant overseas. For those who don't believe it matters where your clothing is manufactured, I suggest you rent a video called "China Blues" which is about the plight of a Chinese girl who works in one of those sweatshops that manufactures jeans for Levis and Target.
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Yes, this is in the Detroit News as well. They'll rename the Five Hundred to Taurus and put a Fusion grille on it. Otherwise it's the same boring car, but now people will buy it? Are you kidding me? And what of the Montego? Are they gonna rename that the Sable? Do you need an IQ over 50 to make big $$$s in a marketing career?

I know I'm no marketing genius, but here's an idea to boost the slow sales of the Lincoln emm kay zee- rename it after the better-selling Zephyr!
  • Options
    displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Actually, it might not be a bad idea. You can repair the faults of the Five Hundred, but people will just remember the Five Hundred as a plain, albeit practical, and underpowered car. This may be a chance for some good marketing.

Make some cosmetic changes (for the better), beef up the HP (which has been the car's principal failing in the auto press) and give it a new name. A chance to start over.
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I think Ford would do well to keep a particular car's name for awhile, and continually upgrade/improve it over the years. Name recognition matters.

Actually, by "Ford", I mean "Ford North America". Ford in the rest of the world seems to understand this quite well... :mad:

"Taurus" is about the best name choice for a North American sedan (though I REALLY would like Ford to bring back and keep "Falcon"...maybe as a new name for the Fusion?)
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Thanks for posting the link. All I will say is, you only get once chance to make a first impression. I would not waste the Taurus name on this vehicle.
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Lemko,

Looks like Ford is finally listening to me ? :)

I've been saying for 2 years that Ford needs another Taurus. It will give them a camcord fighter and just maybe GM and Ford can take back some market share from Toyonda. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Ford needs a TAURUS-- A world class car that shocks everyone with it's level of refinement, cohesiveness and innovation.

They DON'T need is to take a completely unremarkable comitteethinkmobile give it a grille and call it Taurus.

As I've said before, fire everyone who's been there more than 18 months...
  • Options
    Well Rocky you and the autoextreminst agree that renaming the 500 to Taurus is a good idea. That's about it.

The AE dude, who I usually agree with, is wrong on this. Renaming the car is laughable. However, he is right in his next sentence which is, paraphrased "Dont stop there Ford! Get rid of the meaningless alphabet soup names for Lincoln ASAP and bring back Mark and Continental." And Zephyr.

Oh, and it looks like Montego will become Sable. I guess Mercury is going back to being the car for women. Maybe they'll rename the Milan to the Diamond? or the Pantyhose or somethijng. Give the marketers time, they'll come up with something inane.

Everything I read says this is Mulallys' idea. If that's true, a monumental amount of money has been wasted paying this man. THis is a laughable idea. At least with Boeing, AM had a competitive product to back up his turnaround plan. At Ford, he's just got smoke and mirrors. If I had Ford stock, ... It'd be on the block.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Some people and I know some personally don't seem to get it. If we don't produce manufactured goods our standard of living will be reduced dramatically. This is especially true for the auto industry. Ford, GM and to a lesser extent Chrysler are North American. They deserve a good look. Their products are far better tnan in the past and their reliability is on the way up.

First off Ford makes the Fusion in Mexico and you are complaing about lost jobs while Ford makes a car in Mexico. I'm not saying I wouldn;t buy the Fusion because its made in Mexico but American Companies other than American automotive companies(GM, Ford, Chrysler a little bit) are guilty of moving American jobs to Thiland.

I agree the Domestic 2.5 products are better and more reliabile than 10 years ago. I agree even though I like Japanese makes their(Domestic's 2.5 products) do deserve a good look.

"Toyota and Honda are not producing the quality product they did ten years ago. However, perception is hard to overcome."

I disagree with you on that because Toyota and honda do continue to be very good on quality surveys. Even though you may not like Honda or Toyota they do deserve their reputation even though I don;t like Toyota myself.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I think its a bad idea to rename the 500 the Tarus because the Tarus has that rental car stigma attached to it now.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Interesting story and since there is not a specific jaguar forum to post it on I thought this would be a good place.

SC jag still born

Full article.
  • Options
    I dunno...when I think "Taurus" I still see the original version in my mind. While Ford definitely hurt the name by banishing it to the rental world last time 'round, I think it can bounce back...may take a few years, so all the better to get started now.

After all, the Mustang name was able to come back into good graces only a few years after the dreadful Mustang II period...
  • Options
    Taurus? Sable? Taurus X?

Yep, this'll do it. I was actually sorta thinking about a 3.5L AWD Montego for the family ... but I'm not buying into this stupid name game. A sable is a woman's wrap, not a car I want to drive. Let them sell those cars to the 50% of the population who wear dresses. I'm a guy who's owned 4 Mercurys and lusted after others, notably Cougars and Cyclones. Not anymore. I'll turn my interest to Pontiac and Chrysler, where they are actually building interesting cars for men and women.
    And the Taurus X - anyone know what that 'new' vehicle is? Hazard a guess? Maybe a 500 with some spunk? Sorry, it seems Ford made a brand-new crossover, just ask em. Look at this ridiculaous marketing schpeil:

"Unveiled today at the 2007 Chicago Auto Show, the 2008 Ford Taurus X is a full-size crossover that offers three rows of seating, ... "

Funny thing, it looks exactly like the Freestyle with a Fusion grille slapped on. But dont tell Ford that. Cause they're gonna sell a million of these new Taurus Xs. I guess they think their customers are as stupid as the people in their marketing department.

And this AM on the MSN home page there's a brief comparo between 2 under $30K AWD sedans - the 500 and the Legacy. And the Legacy is the better pick. But next year, they'll have to contend with the Taurus! I'm sure Ford will win the contest then, by virtue of name alone.
    I'm disgusted. Fire Mullaly and hire a car guy before it is too late.
  • Options
    Ummmmmmmmmmm I thought the Taurus wasn't going to be a rebadged 500 when I made that statement heyjewel. I think it is a piss poor idea to rename the 500 a legendary name like the Taurus. My god how many times is Ford going to do this ???? They renamed the Zephyr the MKZ. I guess this is part of that "Bold Moves" marketing. Slap a grill on her and rename it. I guess that's going to be Ford's refresh strategy ? :surprise:

Rocky
  • Options
    Rocky;

Believe it or not, when they announcd the name change form 500 to Taurus, they began the sentence "And now, another bold move by Ford ..."
    Un freakin believable.
  • Options
    Get ya a G8 and be done. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Your Thoughts on the Return of the Taurus/Sable

Not that you can't talk about it here, but it's a new discussion that could be interesting.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I can't believe Maulley signed off on this. I knew he wasn't prepared for the auto-industry. He was a good politician and won government contracts to keep boeing from going under. He doesn't have those same government friends in the automobile industry.

Rocky
  • Options
    Really, I haven't paid much attention to the auto-industry as of late. I was only for the last week or so interested in GM and the G8 when I had time.

That is unbelievable !!! :surprise:

Rocky
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I can accept this as the hold the fort move it is. Ford's not hitting profitability until maybe 2010 and in the interim will be scrambling to sell more than it does. It's target with moves like this isn't anyone in here - car people that is.

It's not like they could sell FEWER 500s. They just want to get that name out of there. Same with Freestyle. As near as I can tell this is replacing a marketing gaffe with a smaller marketing gaffe.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Agreed. What do people realistically expect Ford to do in the short term? Totally redesign the Five Hundred/Taurus into a stunning worldbeater that sells at a rock-bottom price? How likely is that?

What Mullally is doing makes sense given his other recent moves...he's trying to signal to the buying public, investors, etc. that he's looking at the long-run for Ford, not simply moving enough vehicles to keep short-term profitability going...

By using the Taurus name, I like to think he has in mind keeping it for a long time on a car that continues to improve, with brand equity increasing as the car gets better and better. The Five Hundred's not THAT bad of a car as it is...it's just not great or memorable at anything. Little tweaks here and there (like the new engine) could be easy ways to improve it...

I think I heard from someone here that the FH/Taurus is going to be totally redesigned in 2010? Is that right? If so, in the meantime why not try to get people to associate the Taurus name with a solid and well-made (if somewhat dull) car that offers a lot of value? There are worse places to start it seems to me...
  • Options
    The Taurus has alway been a solid, well-made (somewhat dull) car that offers value. But as someone has mentioned, Ford really ran the Taurus name into the ground over the past 7 years (remember the dolphin design). Plus not sure how you can go from saying we are discontinuing the Taurus name (last two years were fleet and rental sales only) to "Oh look a re-designed Taurus".

They should let the Taurus name go away for a few years then bring it back as the next iteration of the 500.

As I said before, you only get one chance to make a first impression. They blew it with this car two years ago. Make the scheduled improvements for this year knowing that in 3 years an all new one will come out, the Taurus. Use the 500 to sell to rentals and fleets (ford will need to do this to meet sales projections).

john_324: I do agree that Ford does need to do all it can. Just don't think this is a good idea. Bringing over the European models..Great idea! too bad it will still take a few years to make it happen.
  • Options
    dtownfb - Other than thinking it looked more like a catfish than a dolphin, I agree with everything you said
  • Options
    I'm in the catfish camp myself.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    The more I ponder this, the more I think it might work.

The Five Hundred and Freestyle are decent vehicles with some strong attributes hampered by a lackluster drivetrain and dull styling.

On other sites, posters with inside knowledge have said that of those who test drove a Five Hundred and Freestyle, 70 percent ended up buying one. That is a good percentage by industry standards. It also shows that these vehicle aren't complete duds - they just need some key points addressed.

The 2008 models contain many worthwhile improvements, including the new drivetrain. But would anyone pay attention? Well, thanks to the name change, now the vehicles are in the news, with pages of free publicity.

Maybe more buyers will check them out and give them a chance. Anything to lift sales of these vehicles is needed. They are good, solid vehicles...but Ford needs to get people into the showroom for a test drive. The publicity surrounding the name change may just accomplish this.

For the record, though, I would have renamed the Freestyle (which I always thought sounded like a feminine hygiene product) the Taurus Country Sedan. That revives another name from Ford's past.
  • Options
    Anna Nicole Smith got lots of free publicity too. Making the headlines with "free publicity" isn't always good if it's just further confirmation of what a loser you are.

Maybe a Taurus Country Squire?
  • Options
    I agree with you, grbeck.

A lot of the rest of you are like sharks swarming around a bleeding diver. There's blood in the water, and you're going in for the kill. Mulally can't do anything right. FoMoCo can't do anything right. They're doomed. It's all over. There's no hope. Turn off the lights and lock the doors. Too little; too late.

Sheesh.
  • Options
    Actually displacedtexan i am not a shark. Ford is in this position because of a decade of bad decisions. My personal opinion is this is a bad idea. You go from killing a car name to now using to revive a car that no one wants. The 500 sold over 100k unit it's first year and dropped over 20% its second year. And everyone agrees (including myself) that it's a decent car. But you can't be just decent anymore. too much competition. this car is in direct competition with the Avalon, Impala, Azera, Maxima, Lucerne, 300 and Charger. Honest question, would you pick the 500 over any of these vehicles? Maybe over the Impala.

My point is if you want to revive the Taurus name, don't re-use it so quick. the recent memory of the Taurus is not as strong as the executives think. When I think Taurus, I don't remember the days when it was the best selling car in America. I think dolphin design (or catfish), rentals , fleets, average, great used car buy, etc. So wait a couple of years and bring it back when you do a complete re-design in 2010.

Ford is heading in the right direction. they've realized that they have to operate their business as if their market share is 15% and not 25%. this means closing plants, laying off workers and controlling production (Honda is a master at this which is why their resale values are so high). These are very hard decisions to make but necessary for long term success. their sales will drop by about 10-15% this year because of reducing rental sales. Hard on the check book but necessary. What you will see in a 5-10 years is better quality vehicles, higher resale, fewer rebates and more profits.

so expect more bad news this year. Each month when their sales are lower then the previous year, people will circle Ford like vultures. they did the same thing with GM. But GM is turning it around by limiting production and concentrating on improving the product. The big question is can Ford hold on. I am not sure since their big money making vehicles, F150 and Explorer, have declining sales without anything to turn them around. Fusion/Milan are good vehicles but not a big profit makers. Plus the rebates do not help their image.

I think Mulally is doing a good job. And Ford needed to bring in an outsider. I simply don't agree with this one decision. I've been wrong before just ask my wife. The good thing is if it works, you have every right to come back it stick it to us. If not, no sweat off anyone's back.
  • Options
    There's no question that Ford (along with the rest of the American auto industry) has squandered many opportunities, either through arrogance, ignorance, or ineptitude. Yes, things are bad, but it's not the end, yet. I sincerely hope they have the wherewithall to reap whatever benefits come from recent decisions.

dtwonfb, I don't think you're a shark. My apologies if anyone sees my outburst as sticking it to anyone, but I just get tired of the rampant negativism among some posters. I need a break, so I'm going to take one.
  • Options
    Please don't take a break from this because of naysayers. You have to remember some people relish in others misery. I never understood that. Some people like to spout off because they can hide behind a forum name never have to reveal themselves. In the end it's only one person's opinion and that along with $0.69 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's.
  • Options
    Some people get carried away. I hope that won't keep you away.

It is very easy to kick an automaker when it's down and there is no question that is where Ford finds itself. Gm was there a couple of years ago and is slowly turning the corner. I expect Ford to do the same. I don't expect them to be in the black by 08 but I do expect them to get there.
  • Options
    you have seen this.. but i followed the series since it was introduced in early 06, heres the last episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7fdsnqVYA4
  • Options
    Good idea but where are the products!!???!!!
  • Options
    Didn't you see the Fairlane concept? That's the only vehicle I saw. It looks a lot like the Scion xB that Toyota's been selling for several years. A rolling refridgerator. That's going to be the next big thing you know. They're going to make a Lincoln version too. Bold move doncha think? I'm sure they'll sell a million of them. Name probably will be the Taurus PM and the Emm Kay pee emm (for people mover).
  • Options
    IN the video. they showed Mark Fields walking amongst the 10 covered cars. I was waiting for them to show these vehicles on the video. They kept talking and talking about all these new products. I wanted to see them.
  • Options
    am guessing we have seen a few already... since this video is a few months old... am guessing the 08 500/Taurus was one.. Montego/Sable.. Freestyle/Taurus X and the Lincoln MKR.
  • Options
    kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    The Edge and the Fusion. I see lots of Fusions driving in Massachusetts. However, for all the hype where's the Edge? I've only seen one so far on the road - and that was on a business trip in Florida.

The silly decision to rename the Five Hundred to the Taurus is bizarre. I see lots of Five Hundreds, too. All Ford needs to do is just give that baby a beefier engine.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    IMAGE.. Ford needs to get its image to the consumer back on track and everything else will fall into place. First start is the Fusion/Milan which are proving to be very successful, reliable and well built vehicles. The Edge is also selling like hotcakes. It is going to take years, not months for Ford to become a profitable and respected car company here in the U.S. In Europe and even Asia Ford is respected. I partialy blame the media for jumping at what seemed to be every chance it got to slam Ford or GM. :mad:
  • Options
    This is not to say that the media won't jump on something they think will sell. Of course they will.

That said, Ford and GM being down is not exciting news. Years ago the rise of the Japanese was big stuff. Now it is as dull as reporting when the sun rose.

Ford need more than image improvements. The guys who are responible for the Fusion should be moved up at Ford. They know what they are doing. The 500 is another story. They goofed in a classic way, introducing a new model with a flaw that every car writer would and did pick up on - lack of power. I think the revisions are pretty spot on. It looks better and it's powered better. If they would make all the safety equipment standard they'd have a heck of a marketing tool because with all that equipemnt on it's the feds pick for safest car on the market.

Like GM, I think Ford has stopped digging the hole they were in and is starting to make some right moves. I don't know if bringing back the Taurus name is one of tehm but it was worth a shot. They need to put the Edge on a little diet to get rid of a bit of weight.

I am hoping for the European Focus to come over here and will be interested in the next Escape.
  • Options
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

** Saw it on another car website (C&D or MT)
  • Options
    Now that is different from the picture I saw. Most of it is the same but it had a Fusion like grille.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Those sure look like wheels from a ca. 1993 Taurus.
  • Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Is it new SHO? Because new Taurus has a grill similar to Fusion.

Kiddin of course :)
  • Options
    Well that picture sure does make the thing LOOK like a Taurua.
  • Options
    ...will Ford Motor Co. be alive by '08?
  • Options
    grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    scape2: In Europe and even Asia Ford is respected. I partialy blame the media for jumping at what seemed to be every chance it got to slam Ford or GM.

In Europe and Asia Ford is respected because the local lineups are full of top-notch vehicles that are updated regularly. It's not hard to respect a company that brings out the Focus, Mondeo, S-Maxx and Ka.

The simple truth is that in America Ford neglected its passenger car lineup to concentrate on trucks. The company is slammed by the media because, quite frankly, it deserves it.

The original Taurus is a good example. The first one put Ford YEARS ahead of GM and Chrysler in the family-sedan class with its functional and handsome styling, improved driving dynamics, superior build quality and ergonomically designed interiors. The Honda Accord and Toyota Camry were too small to really compete.

But Honda and Toyota used that Taurus as a template to further develop the Accord and Camry.

And what did Ford do when faced with a challenge from Toyota and Honda? It let the original Taurus linger for too long (giving it an underwhelming facelift for 1992), and ignored mounting problems with the 3.8 V-6's head gaskets and the transmissions used in those cars.

When it redesigned the car for 1996, the market rejected it, so Ford let the car sit as it concentrated on trucks and SUVs. By 2001, the car was outclassed by the Camry and Accord (and the GM entries had caught up to it), but we had to wait another four years until Ford unveiled the Five Hundred.

Ford has lost the family sedan market it once dominated, and it will take a tremendous effort to get satisfied Honda and Toyota owners to a local Ford dealer to check out the new offerings.

That's not the media's fault.
  • Options
    Whoa !!!!! :surprise: I'm with lemko on this one. ;)

Rocky