Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota General Operating Questions

rockinpopparockinpoppa Member Posts: 12
edited July 2014 in Dodge
followed all the directions in manual to disable horn honk when locking doors with key fob ...BUT doesnt do it??? its a 06 C.C...Help???.Poppa

Comments

• robotsatemerobotsateme Member Posts: 2
    I love my 97 dodge dakota, and I want to keep it as long as I can. However lately it's been giving me TONS of problems.

Recently however I have a couple of problems I need to fix. One is due to the cold weather and in the morning it will start fine, however as soon as I kick it into drive it just turns off.

The second problem is I was driving it yesterday, and when I get out of the car I see some white smoke/steam coming from the radiator.

I'm not big into cars and don't know much about them so dont kill me for posting these questions, I'm sure I could have posted this on any car forum but I figures I'd do it on a forum where people know the car I am talking about.

My best guess is I need an oil change and maybe need some new coolant? Please help me out with these questions, this car has been driving me nuts with problems!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You may have to have the dealer do that. This is also an issue on 07 Rams.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • rockinpopparockinpoppa Member Posts: 12
    aggravating when your tring to be quiet, for the neighbors at 2AM
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    I've disabled it on my 2005 Dakota, which is essentially the same as the '06. I'll go back and play with mine, to see if I have any pointers.
  • rockinpopparockinpoppa Member Posts: 12
    Yeah, I was able to stop the honk on alarming on my 05" Dak...But for some reason it wont do it on My 06"...Thanks ...Poppa
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The stalling problem could be caused by a miriad of items, including those related to routine maintenance, such as air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and PCV valve. For that year of vehicle it is very likely to experience a vacuum leak from deteriorated rubber hoses. Or its possible that the throttlebody needs to be cleaned.

If you can provide more information perhaps I can help.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • trk37trk37 Member Posts: 3
    Looking for ideas, the problem is eratic it will run fine for a few days and then start to back fire or run like a carborated veh with a closed choke. To get through the moment I put it in nutrial and give it a gas and it will spit through it and run fine and do it again after another mile or so. This has been going on for about a year. I had PCM replaced , wires cap , rotor , plugs, ignition coil,throttle position sensor,and 2 other sensors on throttle body , oxygen sensors, catalytic converter. The veh has 93,000 miles when its having a good day its got pep runs great . Any ideas dont have to much confidence in dodge boys anymore its been to them 3 times .
    Need more information: year, engine, transmission, mileage, some history of repairs and maintenance.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Hello thanks for your time. 97 Dodge Dakota SLT, 6 cyl 3.9 auto trans ,93000 miles. Got veh used from Dodge in 2002 with 43000 miles .
    I do 10,000 miles per year regular maint.History of repairs started with the current problem when I drove into Dodge with curent problem spitting , backfire I was told catalictic converter was clogged i told them to run diagnostic test anyway, told it was fine. @ 2 weeks later same problem I was told PCM was bad , it ran good for about a month same problem , I replaced the parts from first post .Its eratic cant put my finger on it.
    Thanks trk37
  • greayregsgreayregs Member Posts: 9
    No problem disabling the honk on my '05. Just followed the instructions in the owners manual.
  • robotsatemerobotsateme Member Posts: 2

Ignition System - Cross Fire/Ignition Wire

Problem solved had to reroute ignition coil wire and put conduit on coil and spark plug wires. I found it in a Service Bulliten on Edmunds for 97 Dakota. Basicly the ignition coil wire cant be with-in 1 inch of the spark plug wires . Maybe the Dodge Boys should use Edmunds.Com.
  • gtownguygtownguy Member Posts: 73
    Hi Guys, I have a 01 QC 4x4 4.7l auto, I recently hit 80k miles and had to replace the drivers side front wheel bearing. Other than that, just regular maintainence. issues, and small problems (knock on wood). My question is, and I would like responses from people with actual experience, not heard of, or how to, with other vehicles etc., what issues should I expect if I want to keep this vehicle for another 6+ years and another 100+k miles. Another words drive it into the ground as it is a second vehicle. Are there any common issues I should prepare for? Does this engine have a certain lifespan in miles? (previously I had a truck that did), Is the tranmission only good for certain miles? Axles? I know of many Tacomas that go 100-300k miles with just maintainence. stuff so long as the bodies are kept up.
    I do know that with some vehicles you are better off getting rid of them as inherent problems make them not cost efficient.
    Thanks for any info.

Tom.
    Some of the more common long term potential issues for '01 with high mileage are as follows:

*Heater core
    *AC Condenser
    *Clocksprings
    *Lower & Upper Ball Joints
    *Throttle Position Sensor
    *Distance Sensor
    *Differential noise & failure (AAM axles)
    *Shift problems caused by poor electrical connections at the transmission (42RE, 46RE)
    *Intake manifold gasket (3.9 Magnum motor only)

Both the 3.9 and 4.7 engines are bulletproof. If you have a 4.7 engine the automatic is the 545RFE. This transmission is very tough and reliable and among the best on the market. Chances are you'll have trouble with the transfer first.

Unlike the Tacomas of the same vintage, Dakotas metal and anti-corrosion protection is superior.

Of course maintenance quality means a lot when determining long term reliablility.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • outlawfox13outlawfox13 Member Posts: 6
    Hey yall I got a question. Any one know the difference between a Sport and not? I have an 02 Dak Sport with the magnum 6 and 4x4. Is it body or suspension or both? Thanks to all who reply.
  • ssteveksstevek Member Posts: 45
    Anyone know how to remove the blades on a '95 Dakota? It doesn't seem to be like every other vehicle I've done, the plastic piece connected to the metal arm seems like it's on permanently.
  • ktownjeepktownjeep Member Posts: 1
    Is there anywhere online where you can download a free manual.
    I have an 88 Dodge Dakota.
    If my memory serves me correctly, the 2003 Sport had larger tires and wider, styled wheels, heavier rated suspension, and the 9 1/4 rear axle. There were some cosmetic differences but that varies by year. I have a Sport Plus. There are no tape graphics on the sides as in previous years and no where on the vehicle does it say "Sport."

There may have been other equipment differences as well.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Typical of Dodge trucks, there is likely a bolt holding the arm on to the wiper pivot shaft. Look closely at the cover that goes over the wiper arm at the pivot end. My guess is that it needs to be removed.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks Dusty, I'll check that out.
  • gmiles3gmiles3 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for anywhere on the web that I can get a pickup truck dimension chart for all makes and models. I know there has to be one somewhere.
    Help!!!
  • gmiles3gmiles3 Member Posts: 2
  • photog1photog1 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 01' DODGE DAKOTA 4 DOOR 4X4. I WAS OPENING THE D/S WINDOW AND I HEARD A BANG AND THE WINDOW JUST FELL DOWN. I REMOVED THE PANEL AND DISCOVERED THE GLASS WAS OUT OF THE TRACK AND THE CABLE WAS LOOSE. I PRETTY MUCH FIGURED OUT HOW THE WHOLE THING WORKS EXCEPT THE CABLE ROUTING. ALSO I'M NOT SURE WHAT KEEPS THE WINDOW FRAME UP. I SEE THE CABLE PULLS DOWN ON THE FRAME BUT WHEN YOU RUN THE MOTOR THE OTHER WAY THE CABLE GETS SLACK AND THE FRAME DOSEN'T GO BACK UP UNLESS I PUSH IT BY HAND AND KEEP TENSION ON THE CABLE. COULD SOME ONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW THIS WORKS AND WHAT I NEED TO DO TO CORRECT IT. I'M AN AIRCRAFT MECHANIC SO I UNDERSTAND MECHANICAL WORKINGS, I'M JUST NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS SET UP. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
  • marcush722marcush722 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '02 Dakota and found the same thing, only my window fell during the night (so I thought someone tried to break into my truck). After pulling it all apart this is what I found... There are 2 cables coming from the motor, the upper counterbalance cable and the lower cable. The slack cable that is at the bottom of the door is the one that pulls down on the carriage/window assembly. The counterbalance cable comes out of the motor ends up pulled taught against the guide sleeve (you will see only a small retaining nut). The problem comes from he carriage that holds the window. There is a small plastic bracket that both cables latch on to. The top cable ends up pulling out from the plastic bracket because it has fractured. The only thing I've found so far is that you need to replace the ENTIRE window regulator assembly (which is [non-permissible content removed] because the motor is just fine!!!) Anyway, I am going to experiment this week with filling in the bracket with a high strength epoxy and see if that will hold the cable. This is a couple of months late, but glad to see someone else had the exact same problem.
  • chevyman19chevyman19 Member Posts: 3
    I AM TOLD THAT THE ENGINES OF THIS SERIES HAVE SLUDGE BUILD UP PROBLEMS,.HAVING A OIL GAUAGE DFAILURE AFTER REPLACING OIL SENDING UNIT AND OIL PUMP, THE SHOP TELL ME THIS ENGINE AT 138,000 IS SHOT BECAUSE OF OIL SLUDGE ..AS THE GUAGE STILL FAILED. WOULDNT ENGINE LOCK UP? NEVER OVERHEATED USING SYNTHETIC OIL DO THE 3.9S HAVE A SLUDGE BUILD UP PROBLEM OR IS THAT RARE? SHOULD I INVEST IN A REBUILT 3.9? OR SHOULD I EXPECT SAME PROBLEM?
  • sarah_maesarah_mae Member Posts: 1
    My husband has a 98 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4. When we Shift sometimes, from reverse to drive and drive to reverse and sometimes from park to Drive. It doesn't make sense to me. It drops down to 0 RPMs when it does it and then just stalls. it will start back up. I was just don't know what is going on. ALSO the check gages light comes on sometimes, mostly when we are idling. the heat gage goes all the way up and then goes back down about a minute later. Wondering if there are any suggestions.... ?
  • jcornelljcornell Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my window regulator. How did the epoxy work? Did you have to get a new regulator? Also, when you take the door panel off, how did you disengage the bars that control the door handle?
  • cfontcfont Member Posts: 3
    Im confused, I bought a used Dakota Sport. The car fax listed it as dakota Sport/rt. But anyone that looks at it says its not an RT. The local Dodge dealer was no help. Im concerned because of the RT's 2000 lb towing limit. Can anyone tell me how to confirm the exact model? and also, why does the RT have such a small towing capacity?
  • merylgmerylg Member Posts: 1
    How do you replace the headlight bulbs on a 2000 Dakota SLT? Mine doesn't match what the owners manual says at all. At least from what I can see. All I'm trying to do is upgrade to a brighter bulb.
  • chevyman19chevyman19 Member Posts: 3
    ive never yet done that as these are pretty bright,,,BUT if you have an autozone nearby or such, they are good at coming out into the lot and checking what you need and how to do it....usually ive seen the bulbs just have to be pulled from the rear of the lens and are in a socket gasket that you just remove bulb from and replace and then reinsert, perhaps a short turn of the socket is necessary to lock in or remove, the basic light frame stays the same, least in old school and other vehicles, let me know what you find out
  • mlitteralmlitteral Member Posts: 2
    Have a 88 Dodge Dakota that is stalling out, not predectable when it will happen. Have change the fuel filter, fuel regulator, fuel pump, and rotor button. It seem to work ok for a day or so and has started the same thing over. When it does stall if you sit for a minute or so it will start right back up and go. Any suggestions to what might be going on will be very apprecitated. It is a 3.9 auto transmisson.
  • Falksey22Falksey22 Member Posts: 2
  • Falksey22Falksey22 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2001 Dakota R/T Club with the 5.9 V8, and there is a switch located by the cup holders that I can't seem to figure out what does, and I didn't find it in the owners manual. I saw it in the pictures of another R/T online and I'm wondering if anyone knows what its for?
    "By the cup holders."

Well, the 2001s had a different instrument panel and my memory is not recalling anything. When you operate the switch, what happens?

I can think of two possibilities: it may either be the switch for the fog lamps, or for the heated mirrors.

I don't know.

Dusty
  • CorsoK24CorsoK24 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 2000 R/T... the switch your asking about (in my case) is an electric fan to help cool the engine. Have somebody turn the truck on with the hood opened and have the person flip the switch. Take a look in the engine bay just to confirm. If it's not that, then I have no idea. I wondered myself what it was for the first few weeks till I was messing around with all the switches and operations.
  • ndcndc Member Posts: 5
    I also have a switch by the cup holders mine is a after market remote start switch.
    You could see if this is possible.
  • smileysandysmileysandy Member Posts: 2
  • smileysandysmileysandy Member Posts: 2
    Lost my 2008 Dakota key, @ dealer is over $250 dollars to get another one, could i just have one made with a regular locksmith? or do i have to really buy the one from the dealer??? HELP
  • tom4297tom4297 Member Posts: 1
    For some reason, a previous owner has removed the welded covers in the floor of my cab, 1995 Dodge Dak. The holes (4) are located on both sides of the cab about center of the floor.

Well, it rains, and now I need to find someway of plugging up the holes to prevent water from splashing in. Any Ideas anyone?
  • barbaranieuwbarbaranieuw Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Just bought my daughter a 2001 dakota r/t with a 5.9 v8. So far we have had 2 issues that I was able to find the answers to on this forum - so thanks!!!

But am just wondering if anyone out there can give me some info on this truck in the way of how to maintain it, and any possible issues to be looking for.

Again I'm glad I found this forum I'm sure I'll be referring to it over and over as issues come up.
  • sailavashsailavash Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up an 88 dakota 4x4 long bed with 176,000 miles on it. Anyone have any idea of what problems that I may be faced with?

Mod's soon to be added dump hoist kit, front and rear receivers, quick mount winch, pivoting truck crane, 2 battery kit, a belly side generator and air compressor. It will be a work truck.
  • ccatlinccatlin Member Posts: 2
  • ccatlinccatlin Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me with this problem?They will only work in the wash cycle.Have checked the relays and fuses.
  • truck33truck33 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    I'm looking to purchase a Dak. '01 to '04. I won't be off roading, but I do live in MI so snowy winters can be an issue.
    -Will 4x4 make that much of a difference?
    -Should I go with the 3.9 or the 4.7?
    -Gas mileage? I'm getting out of a 4 cyl. Accord. Need truck convenience
    -Is the rear a big issue? 9.25 vs 8.25
    -What about mileage concerns: 120k to 145k
    -Is the lsd a major concern? 3.55
    -Are there any mechanical issue I can expect for truck in this age range?
    I will primarily be doing city driving and some honey do things. I will also be using it to carry bikes on the hitch from time to time.
    However, it will be my daily driver.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share some insider information with a truck newcomer.

Would either the F150 extended cab 4.6 or Chevy Silverado 4.8 be a better choice?
    Well I drive an 88 Dakota 4x4 long bed and this past winter i pulled out a hummer with little trouble considering that the public issue hummer is a hummer on a silverado chassis.

changes that i will be making however is pulling the engine and mating the transmission to a 100 hp electric ac motor, 10 deep cycle batteries and a 6000 watt diesel generator under the hood. yes it will all fit. it is also getting a dump conversion. already it has a 1000 lb electric hoist. and surface mount tie downs outside the bed.

so far total invested in this truck and all supplies so far has totaled $1100. and is a daily driver.

so don't under estimate these little trucks. they will gitter done! :shades:
    Thanks, but that is way more than I'm going to do. I'm looking for something that is steady and reliable. I don't work on vehicles, so I don't want anything that requires alot of repairs. Do the '01 - '04 Dak. fit into the low maintenance and reliable category?
    very reliable right out of the box
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I've got an '05 4.7L quad cab, which means it has the short bed. I think this was the first year of the model changeover.

I needed new front rotors at 12,000 miles, and the head gasket went at 19,000 miles. I was on the hook for the rotors because it was past the 12 month warranty period for the brakes. The 7 year/70K mile power train warranty took care of the head gasket.

The driver's side power seats don't work on occasion. They'll go months without a problem, then will stop working for a week or so.

Gas mileage has averaged 18 mpg in a mix of suburban and highway driving. I consider this pretty poor for what's advertised as a mid-size truck that doesn't weigh a lot more than a Camry.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.