Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cruise Control Decel Function.

2»

Comments

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...from what I recall reading, on-track testing with ABS on and with it disabled wasn't conclusive on distance."

I'm not that surprised. How effective it is in a straight line is probably dependent on how easy the brakes are to modulate, and the quality of the driver. For panic situations, I'd imagine that ABS beats having all 4 locked up for a novice.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Precisely so, on both points.
    Wait, what about a slow-speed panic in an auto-FWD, OAT<34?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yo, hombre. Nice to see you crawl outta the woodwork.

wale_bate1 - I, too, would be interested in more info on how pervasive a problem this is. While reminders to drive alertly and with caution are always appreciated, I haven't seen a lot of documented consumer complaints about this.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

lancerfixer.....now where do I know that handle from..... ;)

"While reminders to drive alertly and with caution are always appreciated, I haven't seen a lot of documented consumer complaints about this."

I think there's more than a few folks wondering the same thing. Given the pervasiveness of FWD vehicles over the last 25 years or so (and the fact that the vast majority are equipped with automatic transmissions and see duty in adverse road conditions), one would think if there was a problem it would be getting a bit more airplay.

I'm just hoping that some driving novice lurking in here doesn't think that they should be bypassing the ABS system and using the e-brake instead..... :sick:
    "I'm just hoping that some driving novice lurking in here doesn't think that they should be bypassing the ABS system and using the e-brake instead..."

Is that wrong? :blush:

Can't be; look at Jason Bourne...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It would take an idiot to think that ABS would need to be bypassed in order to use the e-brake.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Given the pervasiveness of FWD vehicles over the last 25 years or so (and the fact that the vast majority are equipped with automatic transmissions and see duty in adverse road conditions), one would think if there was a problem it would be getting a bit more airplay.

You forgot one thing:

it's a conspiracy!

We consumers have been kept in the dark.

Seriously, thanks to you and the others that have done a good job questioning or debunking some of the theorizing that's been going on here.

Meanwhile, I'm parking my RWD, rear-only ABS Frontier (with manual transmission, no less) in anticipation of adverse road(bed) conditions tomorrow -- snow and ice. And (horrors!) the FWD, 4-wheel ABS, automatic Camry is going to get me to work! I may even use the defroster!
    But what if they were just using the e-brake to bypass the ABS? What then?
    "It would take an idiot to think that ABS would need to be bypassed in order to use the e-brake."

Maybe I should rephrase that then:

"I'm just hoping that some driving novice lurking in here doesn't think that they should be bypassing the ABS system BY using the e-brake instead....."

Better? After all, I'm only repeating your sage advice from post #47:

"Yes, applying the rear brakes in a controlled manner via the e-brake defeats the Anti-lock system, but there are times when that is exactly the desireable outcome."
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Apples and Oranges...
    "Apples and Oranges..."

Ah.

Well THAT certainly cleared things up..... :confuse:
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    Well THAT certainly cleared things up.....

I'm still waiting for those English subtitles. :sick:

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

This discussion has been closed.