Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry Vehicle Stability Control

2»

Comments

• Options
    jrehderjrehder Member Posts: 1
    I got into my 2010 Camry a couple of days ago and turned it and started to drive off. The VSC indicator came on even though I was on flat, dry pavement. The car made a squealing noise and pulled to the left. There had been no previous indication of any problem. Turning the car off and back on did not help. I decided to park and not use the car. The car was towed to the Toyota dealer who said I must have hit a large bump within the last few days, so the damage is my fault and that the repair is not covered by the warranty. Fr the past few weeks, we have only done local driving. We live in a very flat area and hit no bumps at all. Has anyone ever experienced a failure of the VSC for no apparent reason?
  • Options
    ridgerunner835ridgerunner835 Member Posts: 10
    my Daughter's 2005 Camry (152,000 M.)had the check engine light,VSC and the traction control light all come on at the same time.so going with some of the replys on this post i unhooked both battery posts for about 15 mins, i took off the gas filler cap and cleaned it and the filler neck(just in case) checked the master clyn. level but it was fine- i did add some power steering fluid as it was slightly low,but i think this was unrelated to the lights being on. i cleaned the terminals and hooked the cables back to the battery,started it up and lights went off after engine was running and have stayed off so far. i had the excact same deal happen with my 07 silverado when its CEL came on,unhooked battery cables and tightned gas cap and light has never came back while engine is running......thanks for all the ideas here guys!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..so the damage is my fault.."

Dealer found "damage"?....what damage?

I would disable(***) the Trac/VSC functionality and drive it for a few days to see if the car functions correctly otherwise.

With the engine idling unplug the MAF/IAT connector, the engine will die, reconnect the connector, restart the engine. VSC/Trac will now be disabled for the next few drive cycles.
  • Options
    A small crack in the exhaust pipe near the oxygen sensor will sometimes allow atmospheric oxygen to reach the sensor with the engine off but while it is still HOT. That will often result in an intermittent CEL.
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    wwest....Unrelated, but I would value your input on this question. In some snow conditions, it would be very helpful to be able to turn off the traction control. My 2001 lexus ls 430 has this capability with a push button on the console. My 2007 anniversary edition Camry hybrid does not have this option. Do you know of a reliable task that can acomplish this without harm to the other components, even just until the car is started again. I value your opinion on these things and hope you will take the time to answer. Thank you.
  • Options
    Yes, disconnect the MAF/IAT sensor module with the engine idling. The engine will stop, reconnect the module, and now for the next few drive cycles you have disabled Trac and VSC, but not ABS.
  • Options
    ridgerunner835ridgerunner835 Member Posts: 10
    We are still watching this,so far the CEL has not come back on....thanks for the tip wwest,if it happens again i will sure be checking this.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    wwest....Thank you for the information. I do not know what the MAF/IAT sensor module is or where it is located. Is this something that can be done if caught in a snowy situation where spinning the tire would be helpful? Can it be done quickly etc. Thanks for any further help you can provide. Also, if I can find it and use the disconnect, will it reactvate on its own after a few drive cycles, and will I know it has reactivated. Hope this is not to much to ask...Thanks.
  • Options
    In reference to last post #60.....Can anyone answer these questions? Thank you.
  • Options
    MAF/IAT sensor module is always located in the engine intake ducting slightly downstream, after, the engine air filter. And yes, after a few drive cycles it will restore to normal operation.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate getting out and going through the procedure should I encounter road conditions that warranted such.
  • Options
    wwest, Thank you. Very helpful.
  • Options
    Next time stay away from FWD or even F/awd...except for maybe the SH-AWD system.