Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300 RWD snow tires

k9buddk9budd Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
i like to put snow on my 300 rwd an i went to a tire dealer an he said i had to put 4 snow on a RWD dose that sound right

Comments

• oldmac1oldmac1 Member Posts: 6
    The snowtires today are completly different and I put Michelin x latitude (quantity 4) on my car via the tire dealer's insistence. The whole car drives entirely different since I put the snows on. It really sticks to the ground and I feel that the dynamics of just two snows would be undrivable with these tires. I understand that 4 snows are recommended for these tires and for Blizzaks. If you are asking for a recommendation, I would definitly put on 4 of the Michelins or Blizzaks.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The problem with only 2 snows is that it upsets the anti-lock braking system. You need 4 snows on modern cars--front or rear wheel drive.
  • k9buddk9budd Member Posts: 4
    I do not have anti-lock braking system i was told you can not get the blizzake tires anymore but thanks for your advise to everyone that sent a message. this was very helpful
  • goofytimlgoofytiml Member Posts: 41
    k9budd wrote... "I do not have anti-lock braking system I was told you can not get the blizzake tires anymore but thanks for your advise to everyone that sent a message. this was very helpful"

What you were told is just wrong. I bought a pair of Blizzacks for the rear of my 300C H.E. just a month or so ago. I went with a pair vs. four because we only get a little snow here, but 3 in. was enough to nearly leave me stranded with the OEM Conti Self-sealers. I will store the Blizz's for the three seasons and probably buy a second pair next winter to have four rolling then... for the ABS reason.

What do you mean you don't have ABS? Do you not have a Chrysler 300? How old IS your car! LOL
    yes i have a chrysler 300 sedan its a 2006 did not come with anti lock brakes. I live in upstate ny so we do get a lot of snow sometime near albany ,ny

well i have called 7 place asking for the blizzack an no one has them up here. did find Michelin 215/65R17 99Q LAT X-ICE BSW but they say their for SUV and small trucks . people have said they would work on my car.
    Please go to Chrysler.com. All 300 models come standard with anti-lock brakes.
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    The standard 300 does not come with anti-lock brakes.Go back to the Chrysler website and look under standard feature
    and the stock 300 does not have anti-lock brakes.
    Yes. You are right. I can't imagine a 2007 rear wheel drive car without ABS. I wonder how many of these Chrysler sells in a year. A real cost cutter.
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    Chrysler also did this to the Charger.They now put the 2.7 as the base engine,and have abs,esp option on the SE model.
    2006 model had all that as standard plus the 3.5 was base engine.For the 07 model this brings down the price around 2k,so more people will buy them.Its good business sense. They did put the 2.7 in the 06 Charger for fleet and rental only.
    Well it is true. Price does sell. I personally would not want a rear wheel drive car without ABS and ESP.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Well it is true. Price does sell. I personally would not want a rear wheel drive car without ABS and ESP."

While I agree that those things are nice, they certainly aren't absolute requirements. The truth of the matter is that folks have been driving driving RWD cars for a century, in snow, on ice, in rain, in mud, or any combination of those goodies you care to mention, and it was no where near the hardship that many folks who "...absolutely HAVE to have AWD..." would like the rest of us to think. Does driving an unadorned RWD car in winter weather require more training and a higher level of skill? Yup. Tell me please how that's a bad thing. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Absolutely. It is a good thing. I learned to drive on a 52 Meteor--Canadian Ford sold by Mercury. Had a whole series of rear wheel drive cars. No snow tires until 1961. You do learn how to navigate in winter conditions and definitely pick up skills you may not these days.

Technology can be a good thing. ABS and ESP are two of the best safety devices to be added to cars. Although I know now to drive without them, I feel safer with them.
    "Technology can be a good thing. ABS and ESP are two of the best safety devices to be added to cars. Although I know now to drive without them, I feel safer with them."

You'll get no argument from me. That said, the first RWD car I ever had with a modern stability control system was my 1999 328i. Shortly after I took delivery of it we had a nice snow, and as I lived on a hill that rises hundreds of feet between our old house and the main road to the east, I thought it was time for a little experimentation. On the way up at say 25 mph, I turned off the DSC and the car instantly snapped into a tail out spin to the right. Had I not been prepared for it, I would probably have redecorated the sod in the front yard of one of my neighbors.

A couple of years later, after subconsciously becoming totally used to the security of the DSC, I was descending that same hill during a sleet storm. As was my habit, I was in second gear, foot off the gas and just easing my way down the hill at maybe 20 mph, letting engine braking keep me slow. All of the sudden the car started accelerating and the back end came around to the right while I was on a left hand bend. "What the he..." I thought, "How can this be happening? I never disengaged the DSC." Then it hit me, I quickly pushed in the clutch pedal and the car snapped back into shape and I missed that fast approaching mailbox by an easy two or three inches. Yeesh!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Unfortunately I think the REAL impact of AWD and electronic traction control, et al, is to create a generation of drivers who think they don't have to pay attention to road conditions. The vast majority of cars I see off the road in a ditch during snow/ice conditions are AWD SUV's whose drivers think that just because they can accelerate better, they can also stop and turn better than "regular" cars. Too bad for them there exist the basic laws of physics....
    "Too bad for them there exist the basic laws of physics."

Yeah, seems to me that those same laws have been around a few years longer than SUVs too. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    i asked about snow tires not ABS i guess someone of you have no idea about snow tires so you have to talk about abs = absolute bull chit
    The advice you've been given about using winter tires on all four corners is absolutely correct. ABS or no ABS, it doesn't matter. If you were to mount winter rubber on the rears only, your car would only have decent traction back there, condemming your car to terminal understeer and a horrible ability to stop once you've gotten yourself going.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brit5brit5 Member Posts: 12
    Ditto re winter tires -- they make all of the difference -- no other factor weighs as heavily in winter driving -- drivetrain layout included. My 05 300C is a wonder on winter tires & a beast without them (the Conti's are just plain horrible). It is a terrific car on snow.

BTW -- ALL 300 models come with ABS in Canada -- it must be a US thing to have it optional. Similarly there are no 2.7 300's in Canada (good thing) -- but there is plenty of snow & the 300 loves it with the right tires.
This discussion has been closed.