Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Tires/Wheels

rustywprustywp Member Posts: 3
I hit a big pothole on Sunday in my Aveo HB (bought it June 21st and has 20,000 on it now!
I replaced the flat tire and bent rim, with the spare. After only 30 miles, the spare went flat.

The dealer says there's no road hazard warranty on either the original tire or the spare, and according to the Hankook booklet, there's no road hazard coverage from them either!

On top of that, here's a car that's been out for 4 years and according to my dealer, no one here in Dayton, OH has the tires and they had to special order them- same thing for the spare and spare rim! A 3-5 day wait to get another spare!

Starting this past Friday, my dealer, Frank Z Chevy, added road hazard coverage with oil changes (HUH?). Guess I'd better get an oil change right away if I'm going to protect my tires!

So, if you're getting an Aveo- drive it to a tire center and get your money's worth!

Rusty

Comments

• woodsmanmnwoodsmanmn Member Posts: 13
    I hava a 2005 aveo hatchback. From what I learned about the tires before buying, I planned to upgrade the tires with a set of michelins. Even after the tire upgrade, wheel balance was still a problem. My tire dealer included free balancing with the tire purchase, but balancing once a month to keep the vibration in control was rediculous. Tire dealer said the metal used to make the wheels was soft, so they couldn't keep the balance. So I bought a new set of custom wheels, and spent more than I needed to, but the style looks great. Since then the car drives great. Cruises the freeway smooth and straight. I wish I didn't have to spend the extra money, but it was worth it.
  • mikejpenmikejpen Member Posts: 1
    Please tell e How Much must be the Pressure of the tires of my 07 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan ?
    Where I can find this information?
    Thank you!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    There should be a label inside the driver's side door frame of your Aveo letting you know what the recommended tire pressure is.
  • wifes07aveowifes07aveo Member Posts: 31
    Anyboy wants to sell their 15" set? i'll buy ;)
  • grace4evergrace4ever Member Posts: 30
    There isn't anything on the door to tell you what the pressure should be or in the manuel, It says 44psi on the tire - could that be right? Please help me out on this.
    thanks.
    The number on the tire is a maximum recommended infaltion pressure for the tire. That's not the recommendation for that tire on your vehicle.

The tire pressure recommendations should be on a label in the door frame opening, or the back end of the door. I've heard of some cars having the label in the glove box, but I've only ever seen them inside the driver's side door frame of vehicles I've needed them for. Pretty much a standard practice.
    When you open your driver's side door, look at the back edge of the door frame opening. It's the same edge where the door latches into the frame of the car. You might call it the door post too.

This image isn't from an Aveo, but the label will look something like this:

I'll look again but did not see it anywhere on ANY door frame. I have the 5 door hatchback so I'll look on another door frame. thanks - BYW, do you know what the tire pressure should be? It has 30 lbs in there now.
    thanks again.
    In that 30-32 pound range is typical, but that's just a guess. The actual recommended pressure is going to be on that sticker along with the proper sized tires to use. I've looked everywhere I can think of online to try and find the actual number, but no dice.
    Thank you. I looked down by the floor board when I opened the door and it was there. Your information in the email really helped me out. thanks again.
    :shades: So... what's the number??

I have 32 in the pool!
  • nordy200nordy200 Member Posts: 14
    Got my new 16" wheels w/205/40R16 tires and put them on my Aveo 5. Very cool, but the gap between the tire and the fender made me get a set of lowering (1.3" drop) springs installed. It really looks cool now and takes curves flat and fast.

Anybody else swapped out their wheels?
  • ilaveoilaveo Member Posts: 26
    Disregard the door spec for the manufacturer's original spare--it needs to be higher pressure.

BTW didn't there used to be more posts in this thread?
  • brishenvalbrishenval Member Posts: 1
    I have 2004 Aveo Hatchback and I'll be replacing the tires soon (I'm at 57,000 miles).
    I have P185/60R14 stock tires on it now.

Any ideas on a good all season tire that is reasonably priced? Do some brands include 'free' rotations as long as you bring the car to an authorized dealer? I will be moving to another state after the purchase.
    brishenval
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Most tire shop chains have free rotation nowadays. I bought my last tires at Discount Tires and they have free rotation on any brand tire you buy. I bought their no name brand which are supposedly made by Cooper. They hook up well in all weather.
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
    I'm approaching 17500 on original tires tread very close to minimum.Pressures were adjusted each month.Will definitely buy Dunlop,Goodyear etc.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I hae an 05 AVeo 5 door. The original Hankooks wore out on the front at 12 K miles. I replaced with high-dollar Goodyears, and had to go from the original 185/60 size to 185/65, as the original tire size wasn't so common. At 34K miles, the front tires needed replacement. I had 2 independent tire service centers tell that Aveos are horrible on front tire wear. From my experience, I believe it. I have 5 other vehicles in my stable, and none of then exhibited anything like this.

My suggestion...if you buy pricey tires, get a good mileage guarantee from someplace you trust...there's a good chance you will need after 20K miles....Good luck!
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Does anyone else have a tire offer at their Chevy Dealer? I have one at mine, they have a set of tires picked out for like the Aveo/Cobalt..Malibu/Impala...then for trucks...Corvette, etc... A set of 4 for a set price. Like for the Aveo or Cobalt, they are like 4 tires installed for $135.00. I looked them over, they aren't made by that crummy Kumho company that made the rotten tires on my Aevo. They are made by I think Fuzion?

They have a 45K mile warranty on them, have a very deep all season tread. The traction, temp, and mileage 'range' are all rated as 'A'. You know they rate them as A,B,C etc...the lower the letter, the worse the tire.

Well anyway. Has anyone taken their dealer up on this offer, IF anyone else has seen this offer at their dealer? I was thinking of getting them from them, to replace these balding Kumho tires. Only 7K miles and they are nearly bald. I have posted MANY posts about the lack of quality of these tires. Anyway. Is this a good deal? Or what? I figure if the dealer puts them on, if there is any problem, then I kind of have GM behind me. Like that is a big help! But...I hear from some posts on here, that there seems to be some people with problems with vibration after they buy new tires. I was going to go to Tire Kingdom or Sears or someplace and get a set of 4 and get the 'super fast' computerized spin done, you know, like a step up on the 'regular' spin mounting. Some tire shops charge more to mount them if they do a 'super perfect' job! Yes...at least here in Fla....they rip us of that way to! You can get a regular mounting, or get a step up with a 'super accurate fast spin' and make it absolutely perfect or something like that, and of course the road warranty, and stem lube..hahahaha...etc... :P

But these dealer tires look good, and the price is great for 4 new tires, and it has a mileage warranty that is more than twice than these Kumho tires have. The original tires only have a 20K mile warranty on them! And they aren't even super low profile or sticky! Just low quality tires!
    Has anyone heard of these Fuzion tires? Am I the only one with this offer at their dealer? I know I have heard that I should get no lower than a 'H' rated tire...as far as speed goes. I guess 'H' is a fairly fast speed tire, but not a super speed tire, just a good speed for this car. I think like 120mph is its top side. Like I ever go over 60mph anyway!

Has anyone found a good tire, not to expensive, that is treating you good? The main thing for me is LOW road noise and then HIGH wet traction. So I go for the 'A' or 'AA' rating for traction, and temp.,and mileage. I had my mind set on GoodYears or Michelins, but the price is rather high for a sub compact! So..has anyone found a good tire and had a good experience replacing their tires? Or has anyone tried this dealer offer? Maybe it is only here in Fla. But they have big banners to sell them, that look like 'corporate made' selling points...so I think it must be at all dealers. But I could be wrong. So, I'm asking...any good tires out there...or is this a good deal and anyone has tried it?
    Go to this site and read reviews on Fuzion tires. You didn't specify which tire model it was, but there are many different tires revied on this site. Fuzion tires are manufactured by Bridgestone/Firestone.

I wouldn't spend a great amount of $ on Aveo tires, as the Aveo is really hard on front tire wear-out.

www.1010tires.com/tirereviews.asp?brand=Fuzion

Good Luck!
    Tried to go to that site. My browser says it couldnt find it. and since I own an Aveo, I am looking for the size that fits the Aveo The standard size. I'll do a hunt for tires and see what pops up....maybe someone has tried this offer from their dealer..
  • juje2003juje2003 Member Posts: 2
    I hit a huge pothole too. Except 2 of my rims were bent. So instead of buying new aveo rims, I got some MSW's for the same price :-)
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    I bought my last tires for my compact truck at Discount tires ( discounttires.com ) if you have them in your area. I paid $28 per tire and they are warranteed for 35,000 miles for these basic tires supposedly made by Cooper. The are much better than my original Uniroyals or my previous Pep Boys Futura's. Great traction in rain or snow, quiet, great investment for the price. They also have free rotation and other options.
    Hmmmm...very nice looking rims....if I thought I would keep my Aveo,long enough,I would buy rims. But I never keep a car more than 2-3 years. And this one is going to be traded in when the warranty ends. Especially if something mechanical goes wrong with it before the warranty ends. So it is just tires for me.
    Only $28 a tire? and probably the same amount to mount them? Yes I have a Discount Tires very near me. I think Coopers are good tires, aren't they? They have a sale right now on a set of 4 tires for any subcompact car...for $78! They dont say what company makes them..but of course that is for the smallest 13in tire they carry. So I guess for our Aveo size..it is closer to the price you say you paid. I got to get something. The front ones are getting to bald...I know they wear out fast. but at 7K miles, they shouldnt look like these do. And since I only drive in the city, it is a lot for turns, so THEY say..that eats up the tires. I am not wasting more money on another rotation of crummy tires. I'll go get a set of new ones..that might last till i trade in, or sell and buy my next Ranger. :shades:
    What are MSW's?
    I have not heard of that offer at any of the Chevy Dealers around here (Orlando, FL) but I would be willing to try. Are your Chevy dealers near Orlando?
    I have had good luck with the cheap tires that came with the car as well. I usually buy my tires at Sams and they have always been good.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    or sell and buy my next Ranger.

Hurry up -- I think it's the last year for the Ranger. I had one of the early models that I bought new in '83 and sold with 225K on it. Very durable and low-maintenance.

Yeah, I wouldn't spend too much on tires. That $28 deal at Discount Tires is worth looking into. I previously bought a set of LeMans at Firestone for about $45 each that were pretty decent. They're made by Bridgestone/Firestone like the Fuzions.
    Discount Tires says they are made by Cooper. My S10 14" tires are slightly bigger than the Aveo so they should be less for your car than what I paid. I believe it was about $10 for the mounting, balancing, and valve stems. I am happy with the tires and wouldn't buy at Pep Boys. Pep Boys tries to find other things wrong with your vehicle while its in, and lies to the customer about things that need to be serviced. I do my own maintenance and they tried to pull this bs on me but I knew what I had to said no thanks.
  • kisstinkisstin Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 LS with 41k on it. I replaced my tires about a year and a half after i got the car. My problem now is pot holes. I hit one not to long ago and bent the steel wheel. I had it fixed, rotated the tires and had them aligned, the whole nine yards.

My husband is insisting that i get actual rims put on, possibly at 15" instead of te 14" stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rims, or know where I can find the specs for the tires?

I'd -really- like to get the set of LT rims, but i'm not sure where to find them.

Thanks! :)
    If you want factory rims, go to the dealer and buy them from the parts dept. That will cost probably over $1,500. OR go to a 'junk yard', and they might have Aveo rims in their parts section. OR you take them off a wrecked Aveo yourself at a the junk yard. Or go to any tire/rim store in your city, or a car parts store, and you can choose from hundreds of different type of rims from $300-$4,000! you dont have to have the factory rims. Sometimes on Ebay you can buy them, but usually only like 1-2 at a time. If you find them there, the shipping of just 1...could be VERY expensive. The specs for the tires are in your owners manual and on the sidewall of the tire,and on the drivers side door on the information plate on the lower part of the door pillar. If you need to know the specs for the 15in ones, they should be listed in your owners manual as well.
    Supposedly Tire Rack's website has a tool for showing what tire/wheels will fit on the car.
  • sozekizersozekizer Member Posts: 8
    fuzion apparently doesn't carry tires in the same size. i've looked at tirerack and now 1010tires but i want real world reviews. i need to replace my two front tires (185/55r15) and nobody in ft worth seems to carry this size in stock. so, two questions ..
    1 -- of the tires available in this size does anyone have real experience and can you give a recommendation?
    2. costco recommended going up one size (wider). true or should i stay w/ the same size?
    i've got the '06 aveo lt hatchback.
    thanks for the help.
    Normally, going up a size in width isn't a problem, unless you have really close wheel-well clearances, such as the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky.

Does Costco have the next larger size in stock, or readily available?

I replaced the original 185/60R14's on my 05 Aveo with A quality Goodyear 185/65R14 without any problems. It made a very slight difference on the speedo, but Aveo speedometers are notoriously off by up to 5-8 MPH anyway, as it comes from the factory.. Somewhere on the Aveo forums, there is a multi-posting discussion about this.

Just curious...how many miles on the front tires? I ask, only because the Aveos are pretty rough on front tire wear, so I would refrain from investing high dollar amounts in them. On my Aveo, I replaced the tires at the same time my daughter did on her 05 Corolla (alligned both front/back of both cars at this time)...the new front tires on the Aveo were pretty much shot after 20 K miles, but my daughter's Corolla has about 40K miles on the same Goodyear's, and the front tires barely show any wear...Just FYI
    Hi. Well my Aveo had ONLY 7,480 miles on it when I replaced the tires last week. The tires WERE rotated and balanced at only 1,000 miles! So the front had about a whopping 6,400 miles on them.
    I finally found a deal for a full set of tires, at a hole in the wall tire place, run by a local motorcycle 'gang', for lack of a better term. No lie! Next to their bar.
    But great mechanics. And no 'stem lube' charges either.
    I got a full set of Endura tires for $190, I checked the date on the tires, and they are about 9 months old. Not to old for a new tire.
    Got the exact same size 185/60r/14's. I just had the front end alignment done today at tire Kingdom for $80. They said the right front was 'off'. The readout was a microscopic about, in my opinion. BUT they say it is enough to wear out the outer edge of the tires. and the front ones wear bald to the wear bar, and the edges wear smooth!
    So thats that. A total of $270 for the entire deal.
    Having to replace a full set of tires at 7,500 miles is ridiculous. But I said they were junk from the day I joined this forum. And I stick by that comment!

And NOW I stick to the road!!! After months of sliding around, and the road noise was horrible. Now it is silent, quieter than when brand new. These Enduras are rated as a 'high performance' tire. Much to my shock! I checked them out online, and they are listed as a high performance tire. not a 'passenger' or 'touring' tire. so I got a great deal on them. all the other well known tire places wanted up to $300 for the bottom of the rack tires for this car. No one was below $250...until I found these guys. And yes they are ASE certified.and so far the car runs better than new.
    IF the tires 'fell off a truck'...I don't know anything about it. I have a paid receipt, and they are on the car. And I am not going to tell these guys they are not 'legit' tires! :shades:
  • patsaveopatsaveo Member Posts: 2
    I work at a tire factory if you don't want to die because of under or over inflating your tires, please listen very carefully. Look at the side wall of the tire for proper psi. (Ponds Per Square Inc.) and never NEVER EVER NEVER EVER the dealer recommendations. All factories GM FORD ECT. Rate the psi according to there high end Dealer option tires and rims. Then when they run out they just put what ever they can get there hands on on your car. Even if the tire is rated for 45 psi, 40psi, or even 25 psi and your care says 35psi guess what people they alway fill it to car recommendations. Thus causing all the major vehicle lawsuits. IF I WHERE YOU ID FIRST SCRATCH THAT STUPID STICKERS RECOMMENDATION OFF YOUR CAR AND ALWAYS GO BY WHAT THE TIRE SAYS. Now to help with what the tire says If it says 45psi cold and 40 psi hot. It means touch the tire is it cold or hot. then go by that. And always tell the STUPID oil change people the correct psi or they will under inflate or over inflate your tires leading to your death look it up if you don't believe me. look up Cooper, Hankook, Michelan, Firestone, what ever and look up proper inflation.
  • patsaveopatsaveo Member Posts: 2
    Please Read my above post Very Very Important will Save your Life
    Oil change places must be different where you live. I have never known one to check tire pressue unless specifically asked.

But, then again, I don't usually go to places like that, since its not uncommon for the tech to be "numerically" challenged, and unable to count to the correct number of quarts when refilling the crankcase.

Point well taken on the tire PSI issue, especially if you have replacement tires different from the original set.
    I have always went by what it says on the tires.
    I wonder what ever happened to plastic man?
  • mjhoppersmjhoppers Member Posts: 3
    I need to know because i just bought a set of 17 inch rims with 205/40/17 thinking for sure they will fit. Am I right, i really hope i am. Thanks for the help

Matt
    thanks for all the help guys !
  • rustywprustywp Member Posts: 3
    :( Hello,

The retaining spring one one of my headlights and the service station "hotglued" the bulb in place! IF they can get it out, is it possible to get JUST that spring? The whole assembly would be $112- should I maybe try a local junkyard for a 2004-2006 Aveo?

Rusty
  • eggroll52159eggroll52159 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone on this forum been told that they would get free tires for the life of your Chevy Aveo? I was told that when I purchased my vehicle however, I cannot find my paperwork that they gave me when I bought it and I'm sure if I don't have it they will tell me that is not so. Just wondering if anyone else has been told the same thing, and if you have acted on it?
  • barkydogbarkydog Member Posts: 45
    Is there any way to dissuade trolls from posting nonsense rumors on this list?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    It's quite possible that some folks have bought vehicles that were sold with a "Free Tire Replacement" provision, but to my knowledge this has only been done at the dealer level, not the manufacturer's level.

That means the paperwork becomes extremely important - and will only be honored where the vehicle was sold - if it is still in buusiness.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please don't call other members trolls. Just because someone asks an odd question doesn't make them a troll. If you don't wish to address the question, please just skip it.

The obvious explanation was posted by capriracer below - it is likely a dealership-level promotion rather than a manufacturer-level promotion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    my dealer is giving me free air in my tires with the 15k service. i drove a hard bargain when i bought this car.