Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Prius Owners w/50K - What We Think Now

Comments

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    as in HID and non HID?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Gripes: the back-up beeper (why is it on the inside?),

Why don't you just disable it? The instructions to do so are all over the internet.
  • Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Actually I'm right at 95K and feeling pretty darn happy to own a car that has been the best thing since super glue & duct tape. I have great memories of many cars in my past but I also recall leaky oil pans, blown trannys, poor mileage, power windows that went bad, and blown motors. All of these things and a bunch of annoying quirks long before I had 60 K miles. The Prius should be the poster child for how to engineer, develope, & deliver the goods. There are those who say I'm a bit giddy and that may be true and why not? This is a remarkable car that does it better (overall) than any other car in my past (50 plus cars). Thank you Toyota!
  • Options
    neglexneglex Member Posts: 5
    I have a Toyota Sienna with 80K miles on it that still runs like new. My 17 year old daughter is driving now so we are going to get another car. She will drive the old van, primarily (sorry) and I will get a new car that I will drive mostly but she will drive occasionally. I need a reliable safe car and will be driving up to three kids to school which is about 30 minutes away. Is the Prius safe enough (it is so small) for teens to be driving and to put other people's children in? Or should I go with the CRV? How does the Prius do in the snow? Do you need snow tires in New England? Thanks so much.
  • Options
    dstarinieridstarinieri Member Posts: 27
    My inlaws have an 07 Prius in Colorado. It gets parked at the first snow the car is so bad. I would not drive one in the snow.
  • Options
    antonyhsuantonyhsu Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 Prius in Upstate New York and I'd rather drive it in the snow with Blizzaks than a top-heavy, flat-footed 4-wheel drive any day. (But if and when I finally do get stuck due to heavy snow drifts, I'll get a 4WD hybrid Highlander!!). The clearance is a problem, but the electric motor torque is fantastic for slowly pulling yourself out. Nothing beat the continuously variable transmission. AND I CAN TOW TOO! (not covered under warranty anymore).

You'll feel the hit of less traction and slush on your MPG more than a vehicle that doesn't have a fuel-usage display because you see it all the dang time.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Others in CO and MN, NY, N England drive their Prius' all winter long without significant problems. Using snow tires is just common sense. I
  • Options
    peakoilpeakoil Member Posts: 8
    I've never had a problem with my '04 Prius except I bought a new set of tires at 38k milez. I'll buy another Prius when this one hitz maybe 10 yeerz old.
    I've gotten 51.1 to 51.4 for the 50k; My frenz with Prius's only get ~47 mpg.

When the CA EPA has ethanol put in the gasoline to cut cold weather polution--maybe 10 weeks a year or so, I can always tell 'cause my mileage drops to 46 to 49. (The CA EPA web site says the oil companiez can put up to 10% ethanol in the fuel if they feel like it. The ethanol refinerz must have overproduction with the recession; are they selling it to Big Oil at cut rates, and Big Oil iz putting the full 10% in my gas?)

If I turn off the power quickly, half the time I turn on the wipers. I don't know the drill about the little 12v battery. To chek it requires a lot of opening of various doorz, starting with the hatchback. Itz 4 yeerz old, now, I guess I should replace it, altho its nevr given any troubl.

The car bringz more road noise into the cabin than I'm used to. Its wind noise may be less than our '00 Camry.

The plug in Prius coming out when, in '10, will drive around town on battery only for how many, about 120 milez? My '04 pollutes vastly less than what %, 96% of US carz? I wont get the plug in until my '04 startz gettin shabbyt. When will that be, after 150k milez?
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Dude, your spellchecker missed one. Tires is spelt tirez.
  • Options
    ;) That'z what I like......A journalizt with a zenze of humor! ;)
  • Options
    motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Dealer in Fla is pricing new Prius@$23,676 vs new Camry 5-spd manual@$14,495, big spread in pricing to ride in a "feel good" set of wheels. The differences in gas mileage should make the Prius payoff around 125k to 150k miles..

The little skinny tires are scary and based the mileage of some owners, not too reliable..40# of air is a very hard tire and should result in a jarring ride, but it's all for bragging rights of 50mpg..

The Prius is 100% foreign content so we have shipped the $$$$$$ overseas to help pay the retirement and health care of the Japanese workers..

Our country club was looking for new golf carts, and the Pruis was mentioned, however they were too big, otherwise they looked pretty good..lots of gauges to read for such a runt of a car.

Gas gauge, speedo, and tach is all one needs to enjoy stress free motoring and when the old battery goes, $100 buys another couple years..

When gas gets to $5.00/gal, maybe it will pay to go the hybrid route, all electric will never work in the USA..

Future gas pricing will be under the control of our taxing authorities and their goal is to emulate Europe with $6.00/gal worth of taxes to pay for the giveaway programs. Europe averages 10% unemployment so taxes are needed for those left working must support the idle bodies..

I enjoyed reading all the hype of the Prius owners and expected to hear all the praise for some owners paid big-time pricing to join the club..Our Fla toy dealer has 15 new ones to sell..Yes I have a Toy plus 09 Bullitt and a 06 S/C 06 Pontiac in the garage..big carbon footprint, however please keep driving your hybrid for I need the all the high-test non-ethanol gas I can find.. Thanks again, and remember what our President-elect stated on the campaign trail---check your tire pressure and help America break it's reliance on foreign oil...Wow
  • Options
    How to respond to the comments you so elliquantly presented. Hmmmm, Lets see. "Runt of a car," How do you come by that claim when everyone knows that the Prius is a 5 passenger "Intermediate" size car. Your political perspective says alot about your frustration in what to buy. American or Foreign hmmmm. How about a car that delivers reliable and frugal driving experience? I'm closing in on 100K in an '04 Prius with what I believe you called "skinny" tires that are "not too reliable." The car delivers very well as do the o.e.m. tires. Close to 56 K miles b/4 replacment. I'm not sure as to your motive in sarcasm about Prius pricing but when I took the Hybrid plunge in '03 my Prius went for $21, 456.00 out the door. I've saved(conservatively speaking) over $10,000.00 in gas money. I can't recall, of the 50 plus cars I've owned, any car that was as trouble-free as the Prius.
    As to Obama's comments all I can say is there are a number of ways to be a smart & frugal driver. Tire pressure is just one. As to buying any car...I'm going for the car that delivers all the above mentioned selling points that the Prius so faithfully delivers on. Gas prices will fluctuate and may rise again to painfull levels. My Prius will continue to make that pain less difficult to deal with. 546 miles on one tank of gas in my Prius sez so.
  • Options
    grc31472grc31472 Member Posts: 2
    I have to say that living in Upstate NY (and I mean upstate as in 30 miles from Montreal CA border) I have had no real problems with my 06 Prius, I did buy snow tires because it was a bit like driving a ski with the factory tires but those tires are fine in regular conditions. I get approx 45 mpg in the winter, probably decreased because of the heater and slush, etc but overall I cant complain. I also have almost 100k miles on my Prius and have had no problems except the headlamp issue that I have discussed on here already.... :)
  • Options
    rick294rick294 Member Posts: 77
    "Our President elect..." That pretender to the throne? With any luck, he will soon get bounced out due to faking his place of birth. He doesn't want to drill our own considerable resources, but rather keep his Muslim 'friends' happy with our permanent dependence on their supplies. Runt of a car? Just go buy whatever rings your chimes and leave off the pointless, inaccurate comments about one of the most interesting and innovative cars in history.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Leaving out your commie comments would be nice too. :P
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's stick to discussing the cars please.

Move on
  • Options
    jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    Have 54k miles and couldn't be happier. I have an '04 and its been the most reliable car I've owned.
  • Options
    PanamaJoePanamaJoe Member Posts: 1
    I find it very interesting to read all the great gas mileage that folks are receiving. It would be nice if they informed everyone to which State they live in. Our 06’ is outstanding for performance and reliability. The only main beef I have is: tires!
    You receive great mileage with the “OEM” tire. When you go to replace them, they are not available at a price comparable to other times. In fact: after going to over 30 Goodyear Tire Dealers, (0) could supply us with the “OEM” Tire. They all informed me that this tire was for the Dealers. The states I ask for Tires; CA, AZ, NM, CO, OH, PA, NY, NC, FL, TX & IN. I also stopped into dealerships in all of those states. None of them had an “OEM” replacement tire, unless they removed it from a New Factory Auto.
    Tire pressure is important for the extra mileage. I have found that the Goodyear Tire that fits (All season) hold to the road and are great in the winter; only deliver 43 to 46 mpg. Not bad. Please: none of this 50mpg that folks seem to throw around.
    I am sure there will be comments about this post. Please, if you want bragging rights, then, provide more information about how you obtain such wizardry with your Prius and where you live to gain this great advantage. We all want to know. If not then post something that is of use to all.
  • Options
    I tend to agree that there are a few posts that seem to be exaggerated and that being said lets see if a few points can be explained.
    First, where you live surely effects one's milage. I live in N.W. Indiana where in summer I usually average between 45 and 49 mpg's. Come winter when the "ICE" runs considerably more due to cold & freezing temps my mileage drops to an area of 34 and 43 mpg's. Blends of winter fuel really do effect milage considerably. As to my driving technics, in the early years of ownership I strove to attain high milage marks. Unfortunately, I got lazy and lost my desire to be intense in that area and decided to consentrate more on just driving safe. Prius owners (when honest) can get carried away with achieveing high "mpg's." Likewise they also can exaggerate those stats.
    The many blogs that have filled this post have shown that the Prius is quite a hybrid car but not without it's nay-sayers. Fortunitly the Prius has stood the tests of criticism. After all, Car & Driver, Motor Trend and the like can't be wrong and thousands of satisfied owners say it all.
    As to tires, I would only add that quality tires make for a better all around vehicle. Michelins are my preference.
  • Options
    The OEM tires on our 08 Prius are the exact make, size and model of tires that came as original equipment on our 05 Corolla - the Goodyear (suddenly I can't remember the name). Integrity?? Anyway, we had replaced those orignal tires on the Corolla once they wore out (about 45k) and replaced them with Michelin HydroEdge tires purchased through Costco. They have an 800 treadwear rating (highest I've ever seen) while the Goodyears had, I believe, a 460 rating. When we sold the Corolla and bought the Prius, we had the dealer switch the new Goodyears off and put on the Michelins. The Michelins are far superior and I've never regretted having them put on our Prius. The HydroEdge is also a very low-rolling resistance tire. We love 'em. Forget the OEM tires - like Railroad James, get the Michelins.
  • Options
    Just checked the price of both batteries for '04 Prius Small Battery..$ 152.57.....Large Battery..$ 2,588.00 This was quoted at my local dealer..Lake-shore Toyota in Burns Harbor, IN today. I'm prepairing for eventually replacement of the small battery since it is closing in on 6 yrs. and nearly 100K miles in my trouble free hybrid. What's not to like? ;)
  • Options
    6 -1/2 yrears and 105K plus miles and she still runs like a new car. I thought about trading this month but ..then again...Why?? I just want to see where this '04 hybrid can take me. 200K?....or maybe even 250K? Time will tell. One more thing. I like owning an '04 that looks just like an '09. Then again....It looks a heck of alot like even the 3RD Generation Prius. Life is good in Prius-Land. ;)
  • Options
    Yes it is! Especially when the Prius is in Barcelona Red! :-)
  • Options
    stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    When and if you ever need to replace the large battery, go to eBay where batteries from wrecked cars can be found for from $300 to $1,000. You would choose from a low mileage 2009 or 2008 rather than a high mileage 2004 if possible. There are also remanufactured batteries available. I wouldn't worry unless you are the first owner with a problem.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes precisely.

At 129,000 miles on my 05 I just replaced the small 12v battery since it was getting weak. If however I had to replace the traction battery at say 205,000 miles..or 305,000 miles then I'd go to our body shop and put in an order for the next totalled Prius ( front end totalled ) and try to buy the battery from the insurance company for $400 or so.
  • Options
    I don't have too many miles on my 2004 (just72k). It is an amazing vehicle!!! Much more reliable than the VWs and Mercedes I've owned. No unscheduled maint in six years and just oil changes and tires. I'm still on the original brake pads and from what I read, I can expect over 100,000 miles. I had an Audi (VW same junk) that needed brakes after 12,000 miles!!! This was suburban/highway driving. I am SO glad I got rid of it before it wiped out my savings!!!
  • Options
    Almost the same story with my 2004. The only difference is I had an October '03 mfg date and did have about a half dozen TSB's that had to be fixed by my Toyota dealer at no cost but some inconvienience to me.
  • Options
    little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    There are 2 major repairs that had to be done on the car, both of which the check engine light turned on. At about 120K, a coolant sensor valve malfunctioned and at 150k, the engine coolant pump just quit. Both needed replacement at a cost of over $500 each. The labor charges in each bill totalled more than $350. A serious DIY'er could have replaced the parts and same all those $$$ in labor charges. The only problem is getting a dealer to interpret correctly the OBD code. An aftermarket code reader(which I have) always gave me a different interpretation of the OBD code.
    In both situation, I was able to drive the car back to my house and then to the dealer for repair.
    Also at 120K miles, a routine check on my rear brake shoes showed less than 1mm left on the linings. I was lucky to catch it in time to have it replaced and the drum re-surfaced. Since I did the replacement myself and using Toyota OEM parts, it cost me about $75 only. The original front disk pads still showed 50% wear.
    Right now at 155k miles, the shifter lever gets stuck at D or R. The dealer is again asking over $500 to replaced it. Shifter assy cost over $360. A trip to a local Prius dismantling yard cost $50. The car still drivable and the shifter problem is just a minor inconvenience.
    No perceived problems with the batteries (aux and main) after almost 6 years. Twice I have to go on a 3 weeks vacation and upon my return, the Prius still started normally. Should any off the batteries go dead, I will go to my local Prius yard for a replacement and save big $$$$. If I get a new one, I don't think I will still use my Prius for another 6 more years..
    I am on my thrid set of tires. I am satisfied with the Goodyear Comfort Thread tires that I've used after the original Goodyear Integrity tires. It's quiet and has good road handling. Alignment still not an issue on this car.
    Lastly, my mileage? Still about the same as when I got it brand new.
  • Options
    I think my manufacture date is close to yours since I picked mine up at the beginning of November 2003. I had the same TSBs you mentioned addressed at one visit. I waited two years as I didn't want to make multiple visits to the dealer. Went for an oil change there and said to address any TSBs that were in effect. They even gave me a new NAV disc as the one that came with the vehicle had some issues with inaccuracies. I'm extremely pleased with the level of service I get at the dealer too. Not all Toyota dealers are bad, but I have heard some horror stories. Heck, I even had some terrible stories with a Lexus dealer but that's for a different message board. Good luck with yours!! We ought to keep posting out experiences every 15k miles or so. I participate on a dedicated Prius forum that provides a great deal of user feedback.
  • Options
    Thanks for the fine writeup. I find it interesting that the rear brakes went first. I guess due to the regenerative braking the wear is different front/rear. Good that you are a DIYer. I have two left hands and can't function as a Sunday mechanic. There are a few shops around here that are independent and specialize in hybrid repairs. Much cheaper than Toyota. I hope I have a few more years before I get acquainted with them. When I owned my Audi and VW I already knew the service managers before 10,000 miles. That's why I own a Prius.
  • Options
    04 Prius with 107K miles and just finished a near 3K trip to the East Coast. The car has been phenominal in so many ways. I can't begin to praise the little blue hybrid enough. Tranny has been flawless. Milage consistantly 45-48 mpg's. My only complaint....the interior beige cloth shows alot of dirt and I try to keep it clean but seem to be losing the battle and the darn Rr rug just won't stay put. It crimps up and won't stay in it's place. I started this topic way back and have enjoyed the input of so many Prius owners. I really can't think of a car from my past (50 plus) that ever achieved this satisfaction level. ;) Happy Motoring!
  • Options
    We have an '08 Prius that we love, as well. We live in a rural area and track dirt and junk into our vehicles on a regular basis, so early on I invested in a set of Weathertech floor liners. They're expensive, but boy do they work. Check weathertech.com. I took out our factory carpet mats and have them stored away. I also took off those plastic trim rings on the alloy wheels. Why they put them on there I sure don't know. I think the car looks better without them. We also have that beige cloth interior. Yes, it sure does pick up dirt if you don't watch it. My mother in law liked our Prius so much, she bought one for herself, but she has the charcoal interior. Sure wish we did. Ours is Barcelona red with the beige interior. Maybe you should remove the mat(s) that curl up and lay them on a flat surface upside down with a heavy weight on them. Worth a try.
  • Options
    bwilson4webbwilson4web Member Posts: 80
    Bought used with 49k miles, our 2003 Prius is just passing 121k miles. Lifetime: 52.1 MPG on the original traction battery; replaced the 12 VDC battery last year; now on second set of tires. It is quiet, efficient, and just works.

My wife's car is the 2010 Prius just coming upon 5k miles. It is getting 53.2 MPG and is a much, much roomier and more comfortable ride. It does great cross-country drives.

So we are a two Prius family with a Coachman RV ... need to run it about once a year just to keep it from rusting up solid.

Bob Wilson
  • Options
    getitinwritinggetitinwriting Member Posts: 1
    I've got a new 2009 Prius. At just over 3000 miles it began to exude an odor like burning plastic. Odor got strong enough to permeate clothing and make my eyes burn. Dealer has tried 3X to figure out what's causing it. Third time they had the car a week...Toyota tech suggested they use an odonizer (device to remove odors, normally used on homes w/flood damage). An hour after I got the car back, the odor returned.

I contacted Toyota corporate, and they've advised me that their position is that this is considered normal. This in spite of the fact that my dealer's service manager states that this is not what he considers a normal or typical odor for a Prius. (I've seen reports of odors from battery gassing and mildew in the A/C....this is neither.)

Toyota's stance is that my burning eyes and other adverse reactions are my own personal health issues, despite the svc mgr confirming that the car gave =him= a headache. Toyota has agreed to schedule a field svc tech to look at the car, which could take up to a month. In the interim, they've stated it's my problem, and they will neither provide a loaner vehicle nor otherwise help.

I've only found one other report of this type of odor, and am hoping others can confirm the experience. Toytota's stance is that I'm welcome to file suit and/or go to the media, but they are unwilling to do anything more. :lemon:
  • Options
    Now, with over 110K miles on my '04 Prius, I give this blog a status report of my hybrid car.
    3rd set of tires....3rd set of wipers (all around)....regular oil changes every 5-6K miles.....(to my amazment) same brakes.....tranny is super smooth and that too is so unexpected by comparison with other cars I've had thru the yrs. I've heard of several PRIUS hybrids with over 150K miles and running strong. One last note....This is the 1st car that I've owned that has litterally been trouble free for 6 yrs. Can't say that of any other of my 50 plus cars from the past. Oh! I still get 47-49 mpg's most of the time. Take good care of a Prius and it will take good care of you. ;)
  • Options
    surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    I have nothing really significant against Toyota (I'm looking at a Prius), except when I hear stories such as this. Keep us informed. Toyota has developed a reputation for reliability and cust service that puts them on a pedestal. It results in better than average resale value. It doesn't mean the stories are all positive and true, just that Toyota image comes across as better than the others.

It takes a long time to develop a reputation but only a short time to lose it and that is a truism. Toyota developed their reputation before the internet was as pervasive. Stories on forums such as this at Edmunds and those such as the floor mats jamming accelerator, etc will chip away very quickly at the reputation. If I was Toyota I'd have someone on this and resolve it to your total satisfaction. Those who have problems today have a voice and if they feel wronged they will use it again and again.
  • Options
    While we're on this subject I'd like to point out a few things. 6 yrs plus on an '04 Prius and I know a few things about the floor mats. As I see it, there are a few issues to address. One, the Prius stock mats are designed with hold hooks to keep the mats set in proper place. If the owner chooses and fails to properly set the mats in the "hooks" then it is possible for the mats to ride up under the accellerater pedal. Two, the issue of adding additional "winter" mats that can move from repeated wear & tear can become part of the problem too.
    If there is another problem I'm not aware of then perhaps there in lies other issues. I would also note that the Lexus seems to have other technical issues that I've seen in other bulletins.
  • Options
    Not long after we bought our 08 Prius a couple years ago, I ordered a full set of WeatherTech floor liners. (www.weathertech.com). By so doing, I removed the factory carpet mats and eliminated any potential carpet sliding issues. We live where there are no paved streets and we tend to track in dirt, so we really needed the floor liners. They are custom formed for each vehicle. They are also pricey, around $180 or so for a full set. I really am glad I bought them, they save the carpets.
  • Options
    bwilson4webbwilson4web Member Posts: 80
    We bought a 2003 Prius, used, in 2005 and since then, added 75,000 miles. So far, I keep on smiling. We're going through the winter slump but last October on the 4th anniversary year, the lifetime mileage was still above 52 MPG.

We also bought a 2010 Prius, new last Spring, my wife's car. We're only at 9.5k miles but couldn't be happier. It is the errands and out of town trip car.

Bob Wilson
  • Options
    johng16johng16 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Bought new, I finally got to start driving it last Fall when we got my wife another car (2010 Corolla, couldn't afford another Prius - darn!). Except for an accident it was in, I have NEVER had to take it to the dealer for any repairs or defects. Still on 2nd set of tires. Have replaced wiper blades once, and air filter a few times. Oil changes every 5K miles rounds it out. I thought I would have to replace the front brake disc pads after 100K miles, as my wife hits the brakes pretty heavily, but they were hardly worn. I didn't think about the regenerative braking taking most of the force. I drive different places for my job, and get reimbursed mileage, so I am really profiting from this car compared to my old Nissan Pickup that only got about 25 mpg. Without ever trying to drive the Prius to get better mileage, my wife averaged 47 - 48 mpg. I can easily get over 50 mpg by following some of the tips for driving the Prius on the hypermiling websites, and taking it easy with acceleration.

I agree with someone who mentioned that the beige interior shows all the dirt and stains. Mine looks pretty rough. I will not get that interior color again. I also looked at the floor mats after I got the notice from Toyota last Fall. I don't see how it could be a problem as long as you have the mats that came with the car, and keep them hooked in place.

I wouldn't trade my Prius for anything. I'm going to keep it for as long as it runs. It has been great reading all these posts by other happy Prius owners. :)
  • Options
    I started this "Site" some time ago and have enjoyed the comments of alot of satisfied owners. I own an '04 with about 116K and am most happy to state for the record....My Prius stands far suoerior to all other cars I've owned (51 cars). What else can one say but ....smart move back in '03 buying one. ;)
  • Options
    johng16: Your posting sounds precisely like my experience with our '08 Prius. We have had NO issues of any kind. We are at about 45k miles right now. We have the same beige interior and yes, it is irritating how easily it gets dirty. Early on, I bought a set of floor liners for the car that replaces, not covers over, the factory carpet mats. They work really well. We average around 45-46 most of the time, with an occasional 50+ or 39 during bad weather. We love our Prius. Our former 05 Corolla would, on occasion, get in the high 40 mpg area, so when we eventually need to replace the Prius, a Corolla might once again work for us. However, given the current situations with Toyota, a Hyundai Elantra or Sonata might be a possibility. Or Honda Fit.
  • Options
    diannewhitmirediannewhitmire Member Posts: 5
    John hello!

I have 115K on my 2007. My 07 is a silverpine/bisque package 6 (leather, NAV) and have had the headlamps problem - the two HIDs were replaced by Toyota (one went at 88K, the other at 92k) and when it hit 114K, my check engine light came on and stayed on. Turned out to be a bad ECU. Toyota replaced that free (the part that is, I paid labor) and otherwise, no other problems. I consider it to be almost problem free! And, for 115K high-speed miles on the 405 freeway, it's been a very reliable car!

Dianne
  • Options
    We used to have a 2005 Corolla with the same kind of so-called "carpeting" that our 2008 Prius has. It feels like paperboard with fuzzy flocking on it. That is what I visualize when I think of carpeting. Does anyone know what that stuff is? It's weird! :confuse:
  • Options
    I meant to say, this stuff does NOT remind me of carpeting, traditional carpeting, like cut pile or loop pile. It looks like "how cheaply can we cover the floor and get away with it?" Disappointing from a first line auto company.
  • Options
    My love and appreciation of the Prius has taken me through so many yrs without a serious problem until now. My maindash computer/screen began to show false notices and pop in and out with various miss info. This particular issue was one I feared from the inception of my purchase. Cost to replace this unit (out of warrantee) nearly $ 1,000.00 and it comes with only a 1 yr warrantee. Other than that issue...NO PROBLEMS to speak of.

Note: The dash computer issue must be addressed in one other fashon. Too complex and also way too many controls under it's computer...thus when it goes out you are helpless to operate the; fan speed, temp, AC, direction of compartment air, etc. Come on Toyota......Get smart! ...K I S S: Keep It Simple Silly. ;)
  • Options
    I recall that people were complaining about having to jump through electronic hoops just to change the temp or fan speed, etc. So...for the 2010 models, Toyota took those controls off the screen. Good idea. It does make one weary of the over-the-top techie approach to everything, sometimes. I enjoy driving my old 1996 Toyota T-100 with its ordinary-everything approach. I love our Prius, however. :)
  • Options
    I too think that technology can run amuck when reasonable rational gets lost in the ..."how creatively complex can I make basic controls." I wrote Toyota about my concerns when I had to replace the main screen/computer @ a cost of nearly $1,000.00 at 119 K miles (out of warrantee of course). In their letter of response they actually said how they develope and advance technology as if that the more technical the car is the better it is. DUH!!! They can't seem to see the forest for the trees. Get my drift? Simple still makes sense Toyota. Wake up!! You've got a great car in the PRIUS. Don't screw it up!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice essay.
    Jumping the battery is easy if you use the special terminal under the hood not the actual 12V battery down under in the back. It only has to be connected for a few seconds until the computer starts when the big traction battery takes over.
  • Options
    mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I have exactly the same issues.You hit the nail on the head.That dash,especially the speedo are ridiculous when the sun hits it.I mostly use the speed on my GPS(Garmin) to see what speed I'm driving at.Mine is a 2007 and I bought it used.I guess I have a complaint about the City MPG,it's only around 30 although on the highway it's plenty good enough.Always over 45.